[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 2.00 MB, 400x350, 1393840503318.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5261003 No.5261003 [Reply] [Original]

Indoctrinated Amerishit here.

How do I give up fast food?
How do I learn to cook?
How do I stop drinking soda?

How long will it take before I can cook meals that taste better than fast food?
Will water ever taste better than soda?

>> No.5261005

>>5261003
Since you're "indoctrinated" you shouldn't have to ask those questions or are you just full of shit and trolling?

>> No.5261006

1: just stop buying it, that shit is not good for you, if you can't be assed to care about yourself no one should care about you
2: nicko's kitchen on youtube, he has fucking like 800+ recipes or someshit that should help your fatass out
3: Drink water instead? See post one. Or buy cans of soda and limit yourself then do the gradual step down if you're caffeine's bitch.

It'll be a while before you're good enough, and it'll never be that same fast food 'engineered for you to crave it' satisfaction.
but it will fill other voids.
Fucking hell I love when my 'stir fry' nights are better than I ever get at takeaway. That's mostly just getting the good/fresh ingredients

>> No.5261024

You just have to stop. I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. Just stop buying it.
Find a few easy things to make that you like to eat and eat that. My first month of doing this all I ate was pan fried chicken that I over cooked and canned vegetables and i'd also make a shit load of chili to reheat during the week when I didn't want to cook.
Once you start you'll pick up on different things you like and start adding more to your palate.
Just take it slow. Start by just going to the grocery store with an idea of what you want to cook and go from there.

>> No.5261028

>>5261024
O also, about soda, just stop drinking it. Having one when you go out to eat or for fast food isnt that bad but get yourself accustomed to getting a glass of water when you want something to drink. After a while you'll get to where you wont even really want a soda.

>> No.5261033

>>5261006
you're right about healthy food never giving that satisfaction. I've been eating clean for over 2 years now, and nothing is as orgasmically satisfying as the occasional takeout pepperoni and pineapple pizza I treat myself to.

>> No.5261051

I gave up soda without it being my goal.

Drink things similar to soda and work your way down from there. Like drink sweet tea, make it less sweet over time, drink unsweetened fruity teas, learn to enjoy unsweetened hot teas like green tea, and eventually water will be fine.

Or drink juice, then lighter juices, water that is fruit flavored, then water.

>> No.5261053

>>5261033
basically.
The thing is to make it an OCCASION so you feel that high of 'o shit, all these salts and fats and processed meats'
but you'll also notice the
'ugh I don't think I can eat as much of this shit, I really feel gross from all those same things that just made me feel really awesome a moment ago'

>> No.5261068
File: 21 KB, 500x330, san pellegrino mineral water.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5261003
>How do I give up fast food?
Learn to keep around the ingredients for select "snack" foods you can cook at home when the urge for fast food hits. Sandwiches with tea, quick pasta dishes, fish and chips, et cetera. Even with "home fast foods", though, the same basic rule applies - serving size and frequency. It won't help you any if you gobble buckets of it.
>How do I learn to cook?
Acquire cookbook, follow instructions exactly and slavishly, and most of all, cook regularily. One meal every day at least. Always use instructions, and always follow them to the T. Buy the correct ingredients, use the correct tools, measure ingredients correctly. If you are confused by what some particular procedures mean, use google or ask here - both work, surprisingly enough. Although 4chan may give you potentially lethal or harmful instructions.

>How do I stop drinking soda?
Drink water. Try switching to mineral water or sparkling water if it's too unsatisfying and if your local water sucks.

>> No.5261320

notice what you pay for for starters dont buy anything that has two of these 3 things salt -- fat -- sugar

and absolutely never consume anything with salt -- fat -- sugar combined in a single bite that you did not see cooked yourself

sugar is addictive

salt must continually be stable or increased to keep food "flavorful"

backing off of the fast track is set up with many major pitfalls mostly your surroundings and your own personal cravings

cheap food is not really a thing laziness and desire for flavorful shit is

>> No.5261355

What I did to quit soda was to set one day a week when I was allowed to have it. I only drank soda on Friday, and then I could have as much as I wanted. After a few weeks, I found that I didn't really want that much. I also have found that when I drink soda made with cane sugar, I'm more satisfied, whereas if I drink one with HFCS I end up wanting another one immediately.

I'm down to one soda a week now. If I can do it, you can too, OP!

>> No.5261358

>>5261053
>'ugh I don't think I can eat as much of this shit, I really feel gross from all those same things that just made me feel really awesome a moment ago'

This so much. I went on a cut (about a 1000-calorie deficit) for like six months. Every once in a while I'd not eat all day and be like "Oh man I am going to fucking stuff myself with shitty food." I'd get a big NY-style pizza or something and to my surprise I'd be uncomfortably full after two slices, when previously I could put away four.

>> No.5261361

you just... stop. i can't really go into detail here because i honestly can't fathom how this is an issue. just don't go to the establishment in the first place.

>How do I learn to cook?
by cooking things. you know when you get hungry and want to go get a bic mac? think of a meal you want, find a recipe, go to the grocery store for ingredients, and attempt the meal. yes you will fuck up from time to time. but yes you will also get better.

same as stopping fast food. don't buy it in the first place. if you're really a weak willed faggot, cut down at the least and try to ween yourself off.

>How long will it take before I can cook meals that taste better than fast food?
that depends on how much effort you're willing to put in. cooking is just like any hobby in that regard.

>Will water ever taste better than soda?
probably not, since you already enjoy soda. but it will certainly quench your thirst better than soda could ever hope.

>> No.5261373

>>5261358

Also, what helped me during said cut:

Drink a lot of coffee. It suppresses your appetite. I found that tea and pretty much any hot drink also suppressed my appetite, but tea and coffee have basically no calories so those are probably the best bet.

Don't eat white bread at all. You digest that shit way fast and are hungry pretty soon after eating. I got into baking kind of seriously and I bake myself a 100% whole wheat loaf every week.

If you're having trouble adjusting to smaller portions, you can always just steam a dickload of vegetables (broccoli and the like). I found it very satisfying to have a meal that was a single piece of meat (maybe 4 oz or so) and a mound of steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. Publix makes steam-in-bag veggies that are awesome for this, and they often go on sale for $1 per bag.

Drink a shitton of water, especially with every meal. Get a liter bottle and fill it up before you sit down to eat. When you finish eating, drain that shit.
Also I just realized that OP didn't specifically ask for weight-loss help but I already typed this out, so hopefully it helps somebody.

>> No.5261386

>>5261006
I don't understand this "fast food addiction" Americans talk about. I've eaten American-style fast food. It can be good. More often than not, however, it's meh or worse. I've never craved it. Where does this craving/supposed "addiction" come from? I don't know a single person with such an "addiction."
Same with soda/fizzies/pop, crisps/chips and all that other supposedly "addictive" stuff people blame for their weight.

>> No.5261390

Honestly, most recipes are piss easy and a 5 year old can do them. Just prepare things ahead of time (have all your ingredients out and pre-measured before you start cooking) and follow instructions.

Once you've gotten a handle of a given recipe, you can start changing it up on the fly.

Buy a slowcooker. 20$ will make your life crazy easy.

>> No.5261388

>>5261373
do not not drink with your food it makes for bad digestion

do drink room temp water

never cold

instead either before meals or after and not during instead just chew your food well

>> No.5261394

>>5261386
its a psychological sorted thing the body wants all these things salt sugar and fat they set off receptors in the brain iirc

>> No.5261397

>>5261394
>**physiological

>> No.5261401

>>5261386
>I don't understand this "fast food addiction

It is possible to become psycologically addicticted to nearly anything, because anythign that someone finds pleasurable affects the dopamine reward pathway in the brain. Food is one example. Others are sex, gambling, drugs, internet, video games, and so on.

Alas, legitimate additions are rare, but that doesn't stop people from blaming their eating problems on "mah addiction".

Sort of like how very few people have legitimate Coeliac disease but there's many more who jump on the "gluten free" bandwagon. Like many things involving food, popular culture has taken a relatively minor detail and blown it into a huge thing.

>> No.5261404

>>5261394
Don't get it. Am I and most people I know not human because I/we don't crave junk food regularly?
I only ever hear Americans claiming that certain food is addictive.

>> No.5261407

>>5261401
Oh. That makes some sense, I guess. I still don't entirely understand it because I honestly can't think of anything I find pleasurable that I indulge regularly.

>> No.5261424

>>5261407
go camping for a week or two

give yourself time to actually think

>> No.5261426

>>5261003
1. Stop eating fast food. It's shit and expensive. You really do save money when doing that stuff yourself. And not only that if you crave a burger or something like that, you can make better yourself.
2. Read a basic book about cooking. I don't know about english ones. Get one that explains even the stuff that usually does no need explaining (how to boil potatoes and other shit like that)
3. Don't drink it? Really, just don't buy it, you do not need that shit. Drink water. Personally i drink beer.

>> No.5261461

soda starts to taste like thick syrup after you drink water for a while

>> No.5261483

Make a habit out of drinking water all the time. Keep a gallon+ jug and a glass next to your computer. You should be repulsed by paying extra for soda with your meals, it is a huge ripoff anyway. Don't even walk down the soda aisle at the grocery store.

>> No.5261496

My dad has me hooked on this thing where he mixes unwatered grape juice and Perrier water together. It's somewhat more expensive and not as sweet as soda, but it's a hell of a lot better for you.

>> No.5261507

>>5261003

lol wut are you serius

i can play this game too

> umm how do I umm stop umm walking in a bipedal motion?
> how can i browse internet without binary?
> how do I stop enjoying 90 mountain dues an hour

lol fucking fat piece of shit

>> No.5261510

i'll back up some of the posting: after some time on a respectable, human diet, uhh meaning trashing all of the fake, sugary, factory crap, you really lose the taste and desire for all of it. i've been eating pretty much just shit like root vegetables, salads, cruciferous vegetables, meats, fishes, nuts, bit of dairy and quality breads, uh basically for over three or so years now. on occasion i'll grab some premade food or a kebab or some shit and i can't have a couple of forkfulls before getting some gagging reflex, and an intense feeling that my body just doesn't want this shit heh

right so it's not hopeless, just bite the bullet for a couple of months, eat like an adult, get some self-respect, and you'll find that you don't even need to restrain yourself. the shit will just become nasty

>> No.5261517

>>5261003

awe its so swaddwaddwadwwdwddww
wwwww
:(

> captcha oarhiin freemasonry
> freemasonry
> wut

>> No.5261593

>>5261388
>do not not drink with your food it makes for bad digestion
>do drink room temp water
>never cold

Going to go out on a limb and say these are just things you've heard or read in a chain e-mail.

>> No.5261747

If you just stop drinking soda you'll stop craving it after a few days and realize how disgustingly sweet it actually is.

>> No.5261765

>>5261510
This. I eat pretty much only real food, prepared myself from ingredients I buy.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that fast/convenience/premade food gives me a gag reflex, but it does taste like trash to me. A little trash once in a while can be fun, but I never crave it. Because after years of eating real food the trashy stuff is not a pleasure - it's just a novelty once in a while.

>> No.5261773

>>5261386
Alot of it comes from eating the food so often. I used to eat fast food alot in High School after I got my first job and had money to waste. It's been several years and I still get cravings for a burger and fries from time to time. for me, the cravings are also associated with not wanting to cook that day. I've found that the best way to stop eating fast food is to start looking at food in terms of how much I'm spending and to then think about whether or not I am getting my money's worth. Considering I only spend about $20 a week on food, I usually can't justify spending $6 on a burger and fries. Also, I think about what kinds of meat I could get at the store for that $6. I can get about two pounds of ground beef for that much.

>> No.5261779

>>5261404
It's because you just aren't as exposed to it. Americans end up getting addicted to it because some of them eat out literally 5+ times a week. When you make a habit of eating fast food, it becomes hard to stop. For me, even making a burger and fries at home that are vastly superior to anything you get at a burger chain doesn't satisfy the craving.

Note that I'm not trying to suggest that people aren't responsible for their eating habits. They are. Anyone with good willpower will be able to stop.

>> No.5261795

make your own "fast food." make some comfort foods you can put in the freezer and reheat like burritos or whatever i dunno dude. make your own bugers. do stuff yourself. it'll at least be probably somewhat healthier than getting it from fast food places

>> No.5261802
File: 44 KB, 180x180, scottp2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5261773
i've been vegetarian for about a year now and i still get cravings for fast food burgers. i don't get cravings for nice burgers from restaurants; just garbage burgers like mcdonalds or wendys. it's honestly the only non-vegetarian food i have cravings for. i've given in a couple times in the past year and gone out to wolf down like two triple patty burgers or whatever then feel awful the rest of the day

it doesn't make ANY FUCKING SENSE

>> No.5261818
File: 389 KB, 670x554, strength.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Soda
Start drinking water and just try giving up on soda COLD TURKEY just continue with water from there on out with time you'll forget about soda completely
>Cook
Buy a cookbook from a thriftshop and start off slow, break an egg, put it in a frying pan get a spoon and go scrambled add other stuff to your meal, apples and so forth don't start off Hardcore but experiment make cookies and shit for coworkers
>Fast food
When you have the craving for something stop by some place you've never been to before, start eating Ramen IT IS THE SHIT you'll find out what you like and don't like with time

>> No.5261837

Just gotta stop. Kinda like how you'd give up anything else you like and/or are addicted to.
>How do I learn to cook?
First you need to buy some kitchen stuff if you don't have any, and then you need to learn some basic technique so you can follow a recipe. Youtube videos are a great place to start.
Same way you give up fast food.

>How long will it take before I can cook meals that taste better than fast food?
It depends on your tastes and how much you like fast food. But probably not long if you focus on learning good technique and find good recipes for burgers and maybe some oven fries.
>Will water ever taste better than soda?
Yes. Once you wean yourself off of such high sugar levels (which takes a long time) they don't retain quite the same appeal. I still love 7 Up and root beer, especially if I'm hung over or eating at a fast food joint, but if I'm really thirsty I'll always go for water first. It tastes and feels better. Especially with some lemon.

>> No.5261899

>>5261802
So just eat a burger. Nobody cares.

>> No.5261908

>>5261899
i don't want to eat animals though. if there was like synthetic meat that then sure i wouldn't care i guess

>> No.5261928

1. Stop going. Think about the things associated with fast food that are inconvenient. Like the time it takes to drive there, creep in line, order, wait, drive home. And the extra gas. Also think about how the food itself isn't worth the calories consumed based on both volume and taste.

2. Easy. Watch videos. Cook along with youtube, or browse the infinite amount of recipes on the internet until you find one you REALLY want to try. You have to want to cook. Not think of it as a chore.

3. Soda will have your body craving two things constantly; caffeine and sugar. In the morning, drink coffee. Put sugar in your coffee. This will satisfy both cravings. Throughout the day, drink water. Even when you're not thirsty. Just sip on it when you need to think, on a break, whatever. It will constantly keep liquid inside of you, keeping you hydrated, so you won't get thirsty, so you won't crave a soda.

Protip: Water will never taste better than soda. Sugar tastes great. Chemical compounds to not. Water is "tasteless" (I know it's technically not), so it won't ever live up to the glorious sweet nectar of the gods. But when you're drinking enough water (popular consensus is 8 cups a day, though coffee and water based things like soup can count toward it too), you won't need something to drink, so you won't want the soda.

Trick your brain, beat your brain, stay one step ahead of your brain. Don't let yourself beat yourself.

I went from 260 lbs. to 155 in a year, back when I was 20-21, and haven't looked back. I enjoy a soda now and then. I still take sugar and cream in my coffee, even though it's more to bring it to drinking temp so I can chug it. But my body no longer craves sugar and empty cals/carbs nonstop anymore. People ask me what I want from Wendys now and I just say nothing. Feels good.

>> No.5262020

Here's what I do OP. My biggest problem is alcohol. I would often get drunk and order pizza and shit or be hungover and hit a drive through to make myself feel a little better. Try to cut out boozing if you really want to get fit. If that's not possible then at least stop drinking beer and drink something like whiskey, vodka, or gin.

Anyway, a good tip to cutting out soda is to go to the corner store first thing in the morning and buy a gallon of water. Try to drink the whole thing that day. If you still need something like soda then I think Arizona makes an artificially sweetened zero calorie iced tea. Maybe try that. Another thing I really like is Monster: Rehab. It's very low calorie and very sodaish.

(cont)

>> No.5262021

>>5261908
Get over your anxiety disorder.

>> No.5262041

>>5262020

The next thing I do is buy a fuckton of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the big bags you get at the grocery store. I fill up the bag with salsa, hot sauce, olive oil, and spices and let that shit marinate overnight. Then I grill all of them up and eat them throughout the week with meals.

For breakfast I buy greek yogurt and fiber one cereal. I don't even bother with milk. Fiber one is really tasty for something that's pretty good for you. It has a little bit of sugar in it so you're going to want to have only healthy carbs later in the day.

So with my meals I just buy those microwavable bags of broccoli and other veggies, mostly broccoli though. It's a super easy way to eat a lot of vegetables. If you feel like pigging out, pig out on broccoli. srs

Healthy carbs: like I mentioned before try to only eat healthy carbs. These include sweet potatos, brown rice, and whole wheat bread. Make sure you buy the real whole wheat bread. They have boil in bag brown rice, and my publix has microwavable sweet potatoes. There's no excuse for laziness. Shit is easy these days. Snack on almonds throughout the day and you're gold.

>> No.5262049

>>5262041

(cont)

I forgot to add that you should try to include black beans in your diet. Your shits will be so cash. I also like to have a fruit smoothie every once in a while because I feel like I should have some fruits in my diet somewhere. Only do this once or twice a week as sometimes those things can have a lot of sugar.

>> No.5262075

>>5262021
what? it isn't anxiety. i like animals and i don't want animals to die just so i can eat, at least as long as it's avoidable

>> No.5262087

I wish this board had a sticky so we didn't need to answer the really stupid questions.

>> No.5262096

Hey OP
I used to be like you
I drank almost nothing but sugary drinks
And ate nothing but but food or food that came in a box and ready to be microwaved
Basically you gotta just stop cold turkey

Start cooking simple shit and don't go straight into health food.
Start yourself with some cheap steaks, pork chops and shit
Practice on making simple foods like macaroni salad, baked potatoes and shit

Then just start weening yourself off fatty foods

>> No.5262136

>>5261003
>Give up fast food
Cook your own food. Cut your own fries and make your own meat patties. Just buy ingredients and try to cook your own meals.

>How do I learn to cook
Mix whatever you think might be good together. Even if it tastes like shit, you'll get to know what doesn't taste well together. A good tip is to know what tastes you like for what food. You want a burger that's more spicy? Add pepper and other spices while making your meat patties. Most of all, try to enjoy cooking. Like Thomas Edison once said, "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” Don't beat yourself up just because you couldn't make a good meal once. Also use a cookbook or look up recipes.

>How do I stop drinking soda
Start exercising and bring a refillable water bottle with you every time. When you are tired and take a sip of water, it feels so good you start to enjoy drinking water. It also influences you to give up fast food because you'll want to keep fit.

>> No.5262567

>>5262136
>>thomas edison
>>I have not failed, I just slave drove a bunch of people testing things and took all the credit and money
you're a faggot.

OP this guy is sort of on the money but fuck, you know they have youtube programs for this stuff right?

I always link ramsay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xxeMJfpHqo
cause his course videos are great imho for know nothings, ramsay teaches in a way that makes cooking really simple and fast, without much pointless bullshit to wade through. only con is some of his stuff is rather expensive ingredient wise, but at least then you wont have any money for wasting on soda.

>> No.5262571

1. Stop buying and eating fast food.
2. Cook something, dumbass.
3. Fill your cup with water.

Why is this so hard for you. This has nothing to do with being american, and everything to do with the fact that you're a pathetic slob.

>> No.5262957

>>5261003
Stop eating it. Make yourself meals in large batches, then freeze them in sealable, portion sized tubberware containers for quick access to a hot, home cooked meal.
>How do I learn to cook?
Look up tutorials and cooking videos on youtube. Lurk /ck/ for tips and tricks
Just stop cold turkey and drink purely water. If that doesn't work, use those milo flavoring agents, but never, ever, drink any more of that carbonated garbage.

>> No.5262974

>>5262041
How do you get it so the chicken breasts aren't dry when you eat them? Mine were grilled and I put them in the freezer, now they're just bland and dry

>> No.5263193

>>5261593
Drinking while eating is a harmful practice because the beverage dilutes the digestive juices of the stomach. Since fluids leave the stomach faster than solid food, beverages tend to carry out the digestive juices of the stomach and the stomach is left without sufficient juices to carry on its work.

Drinking with a meal also encourages poor chewing of the food since it is frequently washed down in a swallow of water or whatever. Normally food must be thoroughly mixed with saliva in the chewing process for it to be easily swallowed. Beverages replace the role of saliva in this respect, and permit the gulping of half-chewed foo =/