[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 69 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5178874 No.5178874[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What are the pros and cons of each coffee brewing method?

>> No.5178941

perked coffee is best coffee

>> No.5178948

>Pros: I like my method.
>Cons: I don't like your method.

>> No.5179003

>>5178948
O-ok

What's your method?

>> No.5179016

>>5179003
Actually... I don't have a single one, really. Just I know that this is the way the thread will go: a lot of chest-thumping about how one method is better than another, then a fan of the second method will get arsepained over it and blah blah blah.

Guarantee that if I tell someone that a café-owning acquaintance of mine did a test swapping out autodrip for her usual manual pour-over method for a month and not a single one of her regulars noticed any bit of difference in the coffee, no one will believe me.
She still occasionally swaps the auto v the manual because the shop gets busy and she can't have her staff pour each cup to order.

>> No.5179037
File: 122 KB, 400x300, bt1308istock_coffee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

French press is really the best way to make coffee. The coffee is less bitter if done correctly and more of the oils are there to give ideal flavor. The process requires more cleaning and slightly more preparation.

Cold brew coffee is excellent quality, but it takes a long time and it is much higher in caffeine (too much for me).

Drip coffee is convenient, but since the water is just running over the same spot and is often too hot, the coffee gets a bitter taste and the grounds are over extracted. This is worse with percolated coffee.

K-Cups are convenient and less bitter due to their process. The problem is that the quality of the coffee is not as good. You really have to grind your beans just before steeping them to get the best quality. Also, buy quality beans or who cares how you make it.

A good cup of coffee will have a smooth and frothy mouthfeel, much less than but reminiscent of chocolate milk.

Experiment with both steeping times (I like 5 minutes) and with water temperatures (I like 195 F).

>> No.5179127
File: 31 KB, 425x391, espresso_stovetop.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like the italian style stove top espresso makers. Tamp the grounds in pretty hard, and heated at a bit higher than the medium setting on the stove. Makes a potent brew.

But like most drug addicts, each coffee maker will have their own preferences of tool and rituals.

>> No.5179152

>>5179127
>>5179127
Boiling water is far to high of an extraction temperature for my taste. 212f at sea level.
I much prefer about 180f

>> No.5179162
File: 6 KB, 256x192, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Before anybody tells you should buy a fucking moka pot just remember one fucking thing.....A moka pot makes bad fucking coffee. The entire apparatus heats up and scalds your brew, giving it a bitter taste. Yes, you can avoid this with some technique, but it's still a crap shoot. The design is flawed so you have to learn to work around it. The Aeropress doesn't have this problem. It's designed well and works with you instead of against you.

The moka pot has lots of small inaccessible places that are difficult or impossible to clean. Sure, people say you should season it, but one mans seasoning is another mans rancid coffee oil that makes everything taste stale. That's without going into the problem with mould if you store it without use for a long time. Aeropress? Easiest thing in the world to clean.

Moka pots are also susceptible to corrosion and pitting over time. Aluminum + heat + water = corrosion. Aeropress is made of plastic. Sure it might crack and discolour and wear out over several thousand brews, but it won't impart any off flavours to your coffee.

Aeropress is far, far more versatile. You control coffee dose, brew water and contact time. Long steep with a coarse grind? Go for it. Short steep, fine grind? Absolutely. Coffee concentrate? Sure. Regular strength, single cup brew? Why not. Moka pot? Sorry, just a poor imitation of espresso.

tl;dr: Aeropress makes better coffee, is easier to clean, is comparably durable and is more versatile. I don't know why anyone would get a Moka pot instead.

>> No.5179234

>>5179162
Very good points.

A moka pot can mold over if you live in Miami like me, and oops, leave it a single day without cleaning. And, yes, most are not fully disassemble-able, and that means it's not fully clean. I'm also a fan of french press. I don't like paper filters when doing stronger coffee.

All that said, I bought my parents an electric percolator, and though it's not supposed to be good coffee with the boiling factor, it makes mellow and delicious coffee even with the cheap supermarket brands coffee. *shrug* They adore it vs drip, and the entire dealio goes into the dishwasher each day.

>> No.5179246

you really do not need coffee at all.

What you need to do, is eat less fat, and more carbs.

Then you will have plenty of energy.

>> No.5179251

I just spoon some cheap grounds from Aldi's into the coffee filter, brew that shit up dark, add some evaporated milk and a touch of honey, and call it good.

Regular coffee is good enough for day to day use, no need for such fancy shit.

The only reason I could see myself wanting fancier coffee is if I had a dessert that paired best with it. I'd definitely want a certain coffee if it enhanced the flavours of a $12 dessert if I was eating super fancy. Bad coffee would just ruin the experience.

But these are things I don't get to have on a regular basis.

>> No.5179260

>>5179246
Coffee helps with my anxiety. It helps me feel good and I can get things done even if I've felt like I hated myself all day. Ten minutes with a cup of coffee and I actually feel happiness.

You don't need alcohol either, and I certainly don't drink it, but plenty of people could never imagine going without it.

>> No.5179294

>>5178874

Why don't you just take caffeine pills?

>> No.5179397

>>5179294
>>5179246

Coffee is fucking delicious. One of my favorite drinks. What kind of faggot shit is this?

>> No.5179406

>>5179234
>being this new
>not recognising obvious troll post copypasta

>> No.5179419

>>5179294
>>5179246
It's gor the taste, not the caffeine for me. I drink maybe 2 cups of coffee per month

>> No.5181609

Drip brewing.

>> No.5183934

Instant coffee

>> No.5183958

>>5178874

There's more than one?

>> No.5185220
File: 78 KB, 803x803, Mr Coffee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Distilled water is the secret to making great tasting coffee.

That, and a $20 Mr. Coffee. Fuck everything else.

>> No.5185258

>>5178941
Yep, perked coffee every time.

>> No.5185328
File: 628 KB, 1360x768, Screenshot-3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have a pyrex pot, and a plastic funnel with a paper filter that fits down into it. I keep pre ground LAVAZZA medium roast, in a spaghetti sauce jar in the freezer. I pour boiling water from my electric kettle over a good amount of frozen grounds, topping it off as it drains. Serve with raw sugar for me and raw sugar with half and half for my girlfriend and call it a good morning.

Is this the "pour-over" method someone spoke of?

I'm usually a tea drinker, so my electric kettle takes up the place where most peoples coffee maker would go, this extra kit fits by my tea pot and is a good solution for desert coffee, or for guests.

>> No.5185749

Is there any reason I shouldn't just eat whole roasted coffee beans? Will I get cancer?

>> No.5185830

>>5185328
>putting coffee in the freezer

>> No.5186097

I guess each method has their perks, but I don't really see the need for any method besides drip.

It's cheaper, easier and makes a decent enough cup if you use enough grounds. Granted, I don't really care about finer tastes anyway. My everyday coffee is just Folger's columbian blend.

I go to a coffee shop for a cup once a week and only get house blend. Stay there for like two hours with a book. I think the baristas hate me.

>> No.5186107

>>5186097
Do you tip the barista for your simple order even though they're paid at least minimum wage?

>> No.5186114

>>5186107
When I pay with card, no. I don't carry cash often and they don't give a receipt usually.

When I do pay with cash yeah I give them the leftover cents. It's like 2.19 or something so I put the 81 in the jar.

>> No.5186119

>>5186107
There is nothing they could do to make me dissatisfied with the coffee, but "sandwich" artists can fuck up in several ways and there's no tipping at Subway.

>> No.5186153

Why no mention of espresso machines?

>> No.5186820

>>5185830
yup

why not?

I only drink a pot or two a month

>> No.5186827

For espresso the only real way is horrifically expensive coffeeshop machines, you can kid yourself that your way is better but you're lying to yourself. for a regular ground coffee I really don't think it matters. I use a French Press but am thinking about getting one of those Aero presses next as my French Press is a bitch to wash up.