[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 137 KB, 1024x1024, wine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5113823 No.5113823[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Why do people think wine tastes good? I drink quite a bit of it but not for the flavor. Rather it's simply the most cost effective way of getting fucked up.

This shit tastes awful. Both reds and whites.

Am I the only one?

>> No.5113827

>>5113823
Are you american, by any chance?

>> No.5113832

>>5113827
Yes I am.

>> No.5113834

Why do poor people buy a shitty awful version of a good thing, and then conclude that it's popular because of placebo or some nonsense? I see this happening with seafood too.

>> No.5113839

Cheap liquor is more cost effective to get fucked up than wine is. Just get a handle of the cheapest vodka you can find and there you go.

Eventually though, you may grow up enough to appreciate the flavor of decent wines and alcohol once you get out of the "drinking just to get fucked up" phase.

Or maybe you'll just be a raging alcoholic that drinks whatever cheap shit you can find. Whatever.

>> No.5113841

>>5113834
How much money do I need to spend on wine until it tastes good? Seriously the only wine thing that tastes good is sangria and that's probably because it is mixed.

>> No.5113842

>>5113834
Why does good wine cost so much more than good beer despite being so much less tasty and taking less skill to make?

>> No.5113870

>>5113842
Probably because of higher alcohol content.

>> No.5113876

>>5113841

It depends where you live. If you only have shit wine stores nearby you'll have to drop $30+ to get anything good. If your store is good, you can get some pretty good bottles in the $10-15 range.

>>5113842

Good beer isn't especially cheap, so unless you are referring to cult wines I'm not sure the point of this. Cult wines are expensive for the same reason any rare collectible is expensive. Value is in the mind of the buyer.

>> No.5113892

>>5113839
My guess is, he's 16 which is the legal age in a lot of countries to be able to buy weak booze like wine or beer, but not old enough to get anything stronger which usually you are able to from 18.

With that, I'd say that OP is a kid who's taste hasn't changed yet, so that he might start liking the more tart taste in beer.

You see the same thing in coffee threads, where you have kids writing how bad they find coffee but drink it for the caffeine and not understanding why someone might genuinely like it.

People just don't realise that as you get older your tastes change.

>> No.5113900
File: 1.57 MB, 320x120, wein.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wine you say?

>> No.5113904

>>5113892
>People just don't realise that as you get older your tastes change.

Yes when op gets older he'll go from "eew beer is icky" to "imperial IPA and dark chocolate and black coffee all day, no exceptions ever or ur a pussy"

>> No.5113918

When I was sixteen, I thought harpoon ipa was absolutely disgusting when we snuck my parents stash. I also didn't like wine.

Im 22 now, and I absolutely love the taste of wine and the unique buzz it gives you. I also have grown to enjoy ale

>> No.5113930

>Rather it's simply the most cost effective way of getting fucked up.

haha what

do you even liquor?

i mean unless you don't mind drinking glass after glass after glass, filling your stomach and consuming a retarded amount of calories.

oh wait, cheap liquor is still cheaper than cheap wine, considering alcohol content.

>> No.5113933
File: 2.35 MB, 1920x1200, 1323468471167.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have had 200$ bottles of wine, and honestly they aren't that much better than the 3 buck chucks IMHO. Apprently I'm a pleb. I like beer and scotch, and I am very picky about my beer and scotch.

Maybe it is a personal preference thing. I LOVE shit cooked with wine, but drinking it is pretty meh, even when it is paired properly. I read an article not too long ago about how "professional" wine tasters/critics can't tell the difference between cheap shit wine and "incredible" wine.

I like Johnny Walker Blue, Wake Up Dead IS, and Arrogant Bastard. That's just me though. I just cook with wine. Gave it 234262 chances and just can't get into it. I don't enjoy the drunk too much either (if different drunks exist even).

>> No.5113940

I used to have awful congestion issues, nose never worked, but once I could actually smell, my opinion of wine (and tea) changed. Also I think cheap wine is good too. I only drink reds though, not sure how cheap whites are. But I was thinking about trying some white again, just to go with lighter foods.

>> No.5113941

>>5113876
>Good beer isn't especially cheap
You can get some of the best beers in the world for less than $3-4 per 12oz. Even halfway decent wines cost more than that

>> No.5113942

>>5113904
Not saying everyone changes, but it is fairly common.

Though in some cases it depends also on what you expect from some foods. Chocolate is a great example actually. People that ate a lot of chocolate as kids rarely switch to less sweet version when they are older, because they expect it to be so sweet.

>> No.5113961

>>5113942

as you become older in our culture, coffee and alcohol become lifestyle staples. it's more acquired taste, or at least tolerance due to repeated consumption that explains "taste change."

>> No.5113982

>>5113961
I don't think it's lifetime staples as much as an actual taste change. Which is more pronounced with some people than others.

Coffee is another good example - nowhere near everyone learns to actually drink black coffee, let alone enjoy it.

But usually try to mask the taste with sugar, milk or cream

>> No.5113999

I can get 2L of cheap vodka for $13, while the cheapest wine around costs $8 for a bit less than 2L. You're doing cheap bastard drinking wrong OP.

>> No.5114003

>>5113823
>cost effective way of getting fucked up

I'm guessing that's why it tastes shit. Rarely do you find a pleasant wine under £15. (Excluding wine auctions, tremendous value there).

>> No.5114007

>>5113982
> nowhere near everyone learns to actually drink black coffee, let alone enjoy it.

Are you high, or British? Almost everyone in the US drinks black coffee on a semi-regular basis. Everyone has their preference on how to take it and some people prefer milk and sugar, but to talk about black coffee as something you have to "learn to drink" makes me want to ask what color the sky is in your world.

>> No.5114008

>>5113832
Better question: are you under the age of 22?

>> No.5114013

>>5114007
UK here, most people just gulp down milky instant filth. I'm sure there's a reasonable number of people that haven't even considered the existence of a non-instant coffee.

>> No.5114014

>>5114008
I'm 22 years old exactly.

If you have specific brands feel free to share them.

>> No.5114031

>>5113941
going by the ounce is a shit way to look at it
most beer has about 5% alcohol content, which would be on the low end of a cheap wine cooler
in many places, including online, you can get a decent table wine for under $15, much greater selection under $20

>> No.5114032

>>5114014
If you're legitimately interested in wine, consider procuring a copy of Hugh Johnson's Wine Companion. With this in hand systematically taste wines, whilst trying to disentangle the various tastes and in doing so developing an understanding of the wine's flavour. Part of wine is definitely getting used to it.

Use the wine companion to single out prime chateaus and vintages; for affordability it might be better to buy half bottles rather than full bottles, or find auctions for restaurants that have gone bankrupt - they often sell wine in large lots, with a low average price. After you throw away the table wine and junk you still have good wine at a competitive price.

>> No.5114040

>>5114013

Reformed coffee snob here. Strong instant coffee mixed with hot milk instead of water is pretty good, especially with sugar. I'll gladly drop $4 or 5 on an expertly drawn shot of single lot espresso any day, but putting cream and sugar and chocolate in your coffee is just fine.

I draw the line at artificial flavors (e.g. hazelnut, pumpkin), and non-dairy creamers.

>> No.5114046

>>5114040
>single lot espresso
But espresso should always be a blend. You need robusta for good crema and body and arabica for good flavour.

>> No.5114053

>>5114040
I'm yet to taste an instant coffee that I've liked, that said I rarely drink it. Used to be served instant coffee as a kid when visiting friends, now I just refuse.

>> No.5114069

>>5114014
Specific brands are above my pay grade; I could talk your ear off about beer but wine is a bit fuzzier.

Are you over the "WOO LET'S GET FUCKED UP BRO" stage yet? If not, then there's no point, booze is just diluted ethanol. If so, the next time you're at a restaurant with a wine list, ask to sample some of them. They're always happy to let you try a few, but there is an unspoken obligation that you have to buy a glass of one of them.

The qualities you're looking for are dry vs sweet and red vs white. There is a lot more distinction but stick with that for now. Once you've got that base, experement with different styles of wine; IE pinor noir, cabernet, merlot, etc. Once again, the brand is irrelevant at this point, just stay away from obvious shit and you should be fine.

If there are any wineries in your area, visit them. For around $5 you can try usually around 4-6 different wines.

>> No.5114082

>>5114069

Wine brands are only sometimes safe to go on. Your best bet is to drink as much as possible and find out the name of the winemaker behind the specific bottle (a good winemaker may do work for different brands in different years, and/or he/she may have his own label). You'll eventually figure out whose tastes are similar to your own and you can keep up with the latest from year to year to find out where your guy is working.

Pro tip: if the winemaker doesn't have a name, you're drinking industrial swill, the wine equivalent of Corona or Heineken.

>> No.5114093

>>5114031
>most beer has about 5% alcohol content,
Not good beer. Most of the best beers (though of course not all) are 7-10abv

A quick glance at the list of the best beers in the world according to a google search I just did yields ABVs of 8, 11, 8, 13.4, 11.2, 6.4, 10.2, 15, 13, 8 for the worlds top 10 beers.

So while a little less than what good wine typically has, not enough to explain the massive price difference

>> No.5114118

>>5114093

That's just trendiness and a small measure of ignorance speaking. If you ask the masses what they think of chablis, they'll tell you with a straight face that it's sweet cheap swill from California that comes in boxes, because that's what they know.

Beer enthusiasts, especially neophyte enthusiasts, assign too much importance to ABV because they associate low ABV with low quality adjunct lagers.

>> No.5114126

>>5114118
>Beer enthusiasts, especially neophyte enthusiasts, assign too much importance to ABV because they associate low ABV with low quality adjunct lagers
Well it happens that those enthusiasts are the very people brewing the best beer.

So while having high ABV is not required of a good beer, the people who brew the best beer like making high ABV beer and as a result most of the best beers have high abv

>> No.5114136

>>5114126

You think beer advocate's review system is limited to brewers only?

Of course there is a feedback loop between brewers' taste and consumers' taste, but saying "beer below 8% ABV is not good beer" is simply ridiculous.

>> No.5114140
File: 91 KB, 400x533, Wisconsin belgian Red.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5114136
>You think beer advocate's review system is limited to brewers only
What?
How did you get that from my post?

>but saying "beer below 8% ABV is not good beer"
Jesus man, where are you pulling this stuff from, I clearly did not say that. here is an awesome 4% abv beer for you

>> No.5114151

>>5113900
why?

>> No.5114153

>>5114140
>Well it happens that those enthusiasts are the very people brewing the best beer.

You said it right there.

>Jesus man, where are you pulling this stuff from

Well ok. That sure didn't sound like what you were saying before.

>> No.5114157

>>5114093
>>5114126

I'm a beer conesseur of sorts - i've tried many beers. But.. I like lagers. I just like lagers.

ALLL the craft brews I ever see are IPAs and other shit... but I like lagers.

So i have to buy my beer from the liquor store because i'd rather have a 32oz of Carta Blanca then some Weird Dragon Rape Baby Ale eXXXtreme.

I hate trends more than I love beer.

>> No.5114162
File: 12 KB, 241x321, 1383100024548.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wine prices depend a lot on where you live because a significant portion of the price of a bottle of wine is from transportation. I live less than 100 miles away from Napa Valley and there are a lot of wineries near where I go to college. Because of this most the wine in stores is from Napa but a you can get a decent bottle for 4-8$ easily or even less if it's on sale. The wine even cheaper than that isn't undrinkable but I rarely spend more than 5$ on a bottle if I just want to get drunk.

>>5113823

You can drink all of the Carlo Rossi you want but don't assume that all wine is shit because you only buy the really bad ones.

>> No.5114167

>>5114153
I said brewers are enthusiasts, not that all enthusiasts brew or only brewers are enthusiasts. Very clearly not the same thing, and I have no clue how you came to that conclusion from my post.
>That sure didn't sound like what you were saying before.
What I said before was that most good beer is not around 5% abv, as the person I was responding to had claimed. I most certainly did not imply that all good beers are more than 8%

>> No.5114168

>>5114162

im not him, im another guy. I live in SoCal, and I personally know several people with their own vineyards and wine collections.

I've tried really expensive shit. It all tastes like ass to me. I just don't like the bite of the alcohol. The bitterness of beer covers up the bite of alcohol, but in wine you're tasting it.

Wine tastes like grape juice that somebody spilled rubbing alcohol into. Gross.

>> No.5114170

>>5114157
>ALLL the craft brews I ever see are IPAs and other shit
You must not be looking very hard. Craft beer of just about any style is quite easy to find

>> No.5114180
File: 35 KB, 324x400, beer_hipster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5114170

>You must not be looking very hard.

no, of course I'm not. Did you miss the part where I hate trends more than I love beer? Cause i said that.

Why would I go out of my way to find hipster beer when there are perfectly alcoholic beers at my liquor store?

So i can exchange amateur observation with other novice beer hipsters? No thanks. I'm not into that "scene" (or any scene for that matter)

>> No.5114184

>>5114180
>Why would I go out of my way to find hipster beer when there are perfectly alcoholic beers at my liquor store
What are you talking about? any grocery store chain has a sizable craft beer selection. Not sure where you got the craft beer is hipster thing from, do you live in Mississippi? Craft beer is way too mainstream amongst 20 somethings for hipsters to touch it

>> No.5114191

>>5114168

Have you tried wines not from the state of California? I'm going out on a limb here because I've never understood what people mean when they complain about wine being bitter, but you should know that just about all wine from California, good to cheap, has a certain signature "California taste" that is very highly regarded by some, but might not be to your tastes. Some people hate it with a passion. I like it sometimes, when I'm in the mood, but there are many other wine growing regions around the world with their own style.

If you hang out with a lot of California wine enthusiasts that's probably the only style of wine you've been exposed to.

>> No.5114197
File: 6 KB, 259x194, it_was_me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5114184

OMG. It was ME. It was me all along....

I WAS THE HIPSTER!

What the hell do you call a craft brew? that shitty shock top and blue moon 6packs they have? cause i got news for you - that shit is made by miller and coors companies...

ive seen some craft beer at supermarkets but ive never really paid any attention to them because they all had weird labels.

Being used to german beer and their classy champagne-like labels, I don't really go for the robots vs. dinasaurs labels (same thing with hotssauces.... stop drawing cartoons on hot sauces)

>> No.5114200

>>5114191

I'm pretty sure I've tried expensive imported wine that's not from california.

It all tastes the same. The best compliment ive ever given wine was "OHhh.. that's sweet... its almost not nasty."

>> No.5114206

>>5114197
There are a lot of craft brewers with all sorts of different label schemes. Not all of them are Three Floyds

Also of course I was not considering Shock Top a craft beer, why would you possibly think otherwise?

>> No.5114208

>>5114197
> I don't really go for the robots vs. dinasaurs labels (same thing with hotssauces.... stop drawing cartoons on hot sauces)

I love you. Full homo.

>>5114200

I'm not trying to convert you or anything, but the boozy over oaked awful California style has infected most major regions around the world, this is known as "Parkerization" of the wine industry. So just because the expensive wine was an import doesn't mean it wasn't made to suit the tastes of California wine enthusiasts.

>> No.5114209

>>5114206

cause those are the only types of beers other then budweiser/heineken/corona that they have in los angeles supermarkets.

>> No.5114210

>>5114197
>Being used to german beer
Why would you become used to german beer when Belgium and america do it so much better? Are you really old?

>> No.5114211

>>5114208
its cool. yaeh i just think im stuck being a beer guy for the rest of my life.

>> No.5114212

>>5114209
Well i am glad I don't live in LA then

>> No.5114218

>>5114210

german/belgian same shit to me. german style belgian ale, belgian style german lager... blah blah blah.

I used to like whitbeers and weizens. NOw i just drink lagers, and german and belgian lagers are good.

America doesn't do anything good dude what are you talking about. Never tried a good american beer except maybe Chemay but that's made by GOD in a CHURCH. lol.

>> No.5114225

>>5114218
>german/belgian same shit to me
They like aren't very similar

>> No.5114227

>>5114218
>America doesn't do anything good dude what are you talking about
Are you time traveling from 1980?

>> No.5114232

This thread is hilarious.

I'm 27 and I think beer and wine taste like shit. Sometimes people just don't like things you don't like, instead of being a kid with shit taste.

>> No.5114235

>>5114210
Perhaps Anon is from Germany.
Also
>belgium
>not the mcdonald's of beer-making countries
Enjoy your Stella. Giggle-giggle-squeak.

>> No.5114236

>>5114232
But you are a kid
>I'm 27
and you have shit taste
>and I think beer and wine taste like shit
so your argument is invalid

>> No.5114239

>>5114235
When people talk about belgium making good beer they are definitely not talking about stella

>> No.5114243

>>5114007
Wow, it's almost like the US is a large country with different cultures in each region.

>> No.5114249

>>5114235

I wasn't talking about Stella.

But I do enjoy me some Stella.

i think its where i got that whole "german style belgian lager" blurb.

stella is made by amheiser and busch dude

>> No.5114250

I absolutely despise red wine. It is just super offensive to me. I dunno why. It just tastes really sour and gross.

>> No.5114256

>>5114249
Anheuser Busch Inbev is a belgian company. Don't try and put that evil on america

>> No.5114257

>>5114243

I've lived on both coasts and the midwest, in some of the largest cities and the smallest towns, as well as some suburbs. When it comes to coffee, this has been true everywhere I've lived. If you're talking about squee like a pig niggerlynchburg alabama, then you've got me there, I'm not familiar with the "culture" in question, if you still insist on using that word.

>> No.5114259

>>5114157
The reason most craft beers are ales is because the beer market (in the USA at least) is dominated by lagers. If you were making the same kind of beer that all of the largest companies produce it wouldn't really go with the artisan microbrew type of vibe most craft brewers are going for. Having said that there are still craft lagers, I just don't drink them.

>> No.5114270

>>5114259
Also ales are a lot easier for a startup brewery to make as they don't need to refrigerate it during fermentation

>> No.5114359

>>5114007
Czech - I'm more of a rarity in that I drink coffee black. Just about everyone I know driks it with milk and sugar. It doesn't matter if it's drip, ghetto-turkish, espresso or anything else.

>> No.5114370

>>5114093
and how much do those beers that you are referring to typically cost?
point being, you completely missed the point I was making, as the person I was responding to was talking about cost per ounce

>> No.5114372

>>5114040
Oh I agree it's fine. But it's rarer to see. I personally won't draw the line on a non-dairy creamer as I've seen oatmilk work very very well for people with a lactose intolerance and actually tastes good and doesn't seperate like soy.

As to instant with milk - it's kinda funny actually. The only ice cold coffee I actually like is instant nescafe with milk instead of water.

I don't like it hot, but cold? Hell yeah.

>> No.5114375

>>5114370
>and how much do those beers that you are referring to typically cost?
probably about $8 for a 6 pack, much less than a comparable amount of an equally good wine

>> No.5114418

>>5114093
Depends on beer style. If you looking at lagers, even some of the best aren't incredibly strong. Ales and stouts tend to have more ABV

For just to work with macros, czech lagers tend to have fairly low ABV. I mean Urquell has 4.4%

As far as beer advocate goes, you need to remember that it's centered mostly on the US, where there's a pretty big push against Lagers in generals due to how shitty american ones are in the first place. So stoutier beers tend to get a significantly better rating on average.

Also due to stuff like budlight, you have smaller brewers avoiding lagers like a plague as well

>> No.5114442

>>5114210
Okay let's be honest here. America, makes shit beer. Even your craft beers are generally on the level of good european macros. That's not even talking about the EU craft scene.

As to german and belgian - both are distinct and different from each other. Hell there's multiple different styles to german beer which is common in stores. From the top of my memory there's hefeweizen, german style lager, pilsner, marzen and many others.

>> No.5114447

>>5114375
http://beeradvocate.com/lists/top/

Heady Topper: $14-$15 per 64 ounces 8% ABV
Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout: $15-$30 per 48 ounces 13.4% ABV
Founders KBS: $12-$15 per 12 ounces 11.2% ABV

I'm sure you can find some that are on par, but saying the majority of on-par products is cheaper is BS, and you know it

>> No.5114452

>>5114442
Some of our craft beers are better than euro macros. However I would say that our best craft beers are on par with the best euro macros.

Because we produce so much crap beer, the average beer in America is simply worse than the average European beer, but at the higher levels this just becomes pointless /int/ shit flinging. Proceed.

>> No.5114458

>>5114452
imho some of the annoyance comes from, just how incredibly americafocused beeradvocate and other sites are. To the level that american styles are seperated minutely, but many, fairly distinct styles of european or other regions are put into broad categories.

So you sometimes get weird ratings like - it's really not a good example of xyz, so hence the lower rating.

No wonder, because it's not the same style.

>> No.5114474

>>5113823

Wine is not exactly easy to get into, especially red wine and dry white wine.
The easiest way to start wine is sweet white wine.

That being said in most countries, a 6$ bottle of wine will often taste awful. I don't know much about American wine but depending where you live you can get something decent from the US or South America.

I should add that even though wine can be enjoyed alone it is a beverage that should accompany a meal.

>> No.5114482

>>5114442
>Even your craft beers are generally on the level of good european macros.
Are you seriously this delusional or are you trying to troll?

>> No.5114483
File: 4 KB, 288x166, ahnuld.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5114168
>I just don't like the bite of the alcohol.
> The bitterness of beer covers up the bite of alcohol

I think you have a teenager's tastebuds. That's your problem. You sound like me back in the days, before I learned not to always zero in on the alcohol in my beverage.

>> No.5114487

>>5114447
>Founders KBS: $12-$15 per 12 ounces
Thats definitely false. I have never spent more than $4 for a bottle

>> No.5114489

>>5114210
>Why would you become used to german beer when Belgium and america do it so much better? Are you really old?

US craft beers don't cross the ocean, that's why.

>> No.5114492

>>5114452
Most euro macros are really shitty too. Aren't Heineken and Stella the top selling macros in europe?

Any random american craft brewery makes better beer than all but the very best of european brewers, and craft beer is so much tougher to find in europe since so many people have such outdated attitudes toward beer like America had in the 70s and 80s

>> No.5114494

>>5114489

That's patently false. It's about local tastes. Americans don't know about Japanese craft beers either, but it's because "they don't cross the ocean"

>> No.5114500

>>5114494

Nope. US craft beers are basically what Eurocomcis are to the US - something that's simply not available other than in really, really wierd places you visit maybe once a year or once in your lifetime.

>> No.5114501

>>5114494
The vast majority of american craft brewers do not export as local demand is higher than their capacity allows them to meet?

>> No.5114517

>>5114492
As far as I know, Stella and Heineken are the best exporting macros, but doubt they're the most selling.

That said, anheuser bush and Saab miller do make the most beer, but that's because they buy up local breweries.

>> No.5114524

>>5114501
Beer also doesn't hold that well for extented transport. It ages changes taste even faster than wine.

>> No.5114525

>>5114517
Pretty sure Heineken is the best selling beer in europe, and some russian shit is number 2. None of the actually good ones are high on the list

>> No.5114526

>>5114500

I don't know what "Eurocomcis" is, but if by "wierd" (sic) places you mean like specialty stores in the larger cities, I guess you're right. But it's not like I can pick up a Mikeller in at a random American truck stop either.

>> No.5114530

>>5114526
>But it's not like I can pick up a Mikeller
My local Piggly Wiggly often has some in stock

>> No.5114531

>>5114524
> It ages changes taste even faster than wine.

Any wine importer worth a shit will transport the wine in temperature controlled shipping containers. Beer is treated like lumber because it's not seen as a high value product. It's not like it's impossible to bring beer across an ocean without ruining it. It's just that no one really bothers trying.

>> No.5114546

>>5114531
Which is hilarious because beer is such an inherently superior product. Just hasn't seen as good marketing as wine

>> No.5114549

>>5114546
Wine is like the Apple of the beverage world. Not very particularly good, but as expensive as shit and the people who buy into the marketing will defend it to their death

>> No.5114550
File: 697 KB, 1181x780, disgusting.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5114546
> beer is such an inherently superior product

Kind of like how apples are better than oranges?

You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder about something.

>> No.5114571

>>5114550
>apples are better than oranges?
They sure are

>> No.5114583

>>5114571
>>5114550

Apples' taste is much less seasonal than oranges, IMO.

>> No.5114644

Living in France, I can say I don't really like wine. Dry wine is nasty to me; I prefer sweet wines. Red wine is just so bold.
Perhaps it's because I only drink water. I haven't drank soda since I was a kid, excluding the occasional sip here and there.
However, ice wine is one of the best things I've ever tasted. Expensive, sweet, refreshing. I chugged that shit

>> No.5114651

>>5114644
I'll also include that I used to HATE beer more than anything else, but it's become a bit of an acquired taste. I've only appreciated the flavor of a couple beers, and most are repulsive.
Yet my opinion on wine hasn't significantly improved despite the range of types I've tried, at all costs

>> No.5114654

>>5114550

Fuck yeah they are

>> No.5114698

I used to hate wine so much, but now I love it. I still enjoy Franzia and two buck chuck, but I'm not afraid to spend $10+ on a bottle anymore. Most I've spent is like 12 bucks on a bottle and I don't think I'm willing to pay more until I'm sure it's worth the money. Red wine used to taste like death to me, but now it's like the nectar of the gods. I can see why someone wouldn't be into wine, though. It can be a lil in your face.

>> No.5114701

>>5114698
>and I don't think I'm willing to pay more until I'm sure it's worth the money
This sounds like quite the catch-22.

>> No.5114735

>>5114197
jesus christ man do you actually like beer? learn the local brewerys and start there. Maybe because im in a small town but around here we have the same 2 breweys on tap. go order a flight paddle sampler whatever the bar calls its and see whats up in your town. apologies for drunken spelling and conventions

>> No.5114754

>>5114701
Innit? I'm just so nervous about potentially wasting money. My best friend is slightly more serious about wine than I am, so I'm kinda waiting for her to try the high dollar stuff so she can be my guinea pig/sample provider.

>> No.5115279
File: 871 KB, 245x230, 1389633183517.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5114735
> we have the same 2 brewery's on tap

>> No.5115673

>>5114007
I work in a cafe in Chicago. I can tell you without a doubt that most customers ask for their coffee with room and then proceed to put in a little/a lot of cream and sugar. It's really dependent on the person's taste. There's one twenty something huge guy, six foot six or so, that always orders a small (12oz) coffee in a large (20oz) cup. He then fills the rest of the cup with cream and assloads of sugar. Another man, sixty or so, gets a medium (16oz) coffee every day, black, then comes back at night for multiple decafs to tide him over his night shifts at a store across the street. Mostly older men order black coffee, I've noticed. Most people at least add a little cream, then some continue on to add sweetener.

As a twenty one year old college student I prefer a nice medium black eye, black. I'll have one a night and then drink tea for the rest of my shift, generally ~2 to ~10. Holy fuck I'm tipsy, posting anyway.

>> No.5116237

>>5115673

Sure, but if one day you ran out of milk and sugar, and there were no other options nearby, don't you think most of those same customers would still get black coffee?

The britbong (or wherever he was from) was acting like it's black coffee is some DEEP OBSCURE thing that only level 9 and higher coffee drinkers can "learn", which is ridiculous. It's hot liquid in a cup, not the violin.

>> No.5116251

>>5116237
Most people I know don't like the taste of black coffee.

>> No.5116344

Why do people like anything? Because in their (and my) opinion it tastes nice.
I also like black coffee, dark chocolate (although anything more than a bite of chocolate makes me queasy), straight whiskey, and beer. All things that some people find distasteful.
De gustibus non est disputandum, and I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.

>> No.5116350

The only coffee that needs to drank with cream is starshit coffee, coffee bean coffee, and any other shitty drip coffee.... other than that its black for me (my personal favorite, geisha panama... HNNNNGGGGG)