[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 183 KB, 1331x681, 10945858203.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5051731 No.5051731 [Reply] [Original]

What are your thoughts on the consumption of horse and dog meat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmrldELNZM

>> No.5051740

I would have no trouble with eating either personally. I have no particular interest in eating dog, but someday I do want to try horse because that's supposed to be quite tasty.

>> No.5051742

Would eat, but it's unavailable as only game and livestock is acceptable in the U.S. as far as four legged critters go.

>> No.5051749

Horse? Eh, okay. Work animals.

Dog? Nah. Dogs are supposed to be pets.

I know there's some overlap between the two categories, but I gotta draw a line somewhere.

>> No.5051755

I don't feel any way about it. I would readily try horse meat. as for dog, if given the opportunity I might try it or might not try it depending on the circumstances and whether or not I see the dog beforehand. of course it dies whether I see it or not but my history of interacting with dogs strictly as companions might make it unappealing in the moment. that's my (perhaps juvenile or overly emotional) personal stance

don't feel any way about it at all if other people eat it

>> No.5051756

People should be allowed to consume it as long as it's disease-free. Regardless of whether I'd try it or not (horse I would, dog I probably wouldn't), it's weird to arbitrarily legislate against killing and eating certain animals.

>> No.5051759

>>5051749
>supposed to be pets
well I mean it's not like people don't keep various types of animals as pets
it's just that most people keep them as pets where you live, so anyone who eats them is seen as some sort of heretic

>> No.5051764

>>5051759
Not even arguing against eating dogs, but they're pretty much a pet worldwide. Even in China where they eat them ffs.

>> No.5051769

>>5051749

The dogs eaten are dogs raised as livestock. pet dogs make bad meat. pet rabbits make bad meat.

Livestock dogs are food. Pet dogs are pets.

>> No.5051771

>>5051759

Pet dogs are a thing in Asia. The dogs they eat are livestock. Consumption of dog meat in Asia isn't as popular as people think. Rat meat, insects, and dog meat are thing, but it doesn't mean that everyone is cool with eating all them. In some parts of Asia, dog meat is illegal.

>> No.5051848

French have horse meat almost as much as cow, people sort of prefer it and define it as more 'velvet' but I haddent tryed it, it dose look pretty good.

I might try dog too but dont know what most people think of it, i would atleast think it is abit on the lean and chewy side just seeing afew dog breeds they have out there but once again I dont know but would like to try atleast once.

>> No.5051869

I don't care as long as you're using them for food or fur.

Hunting for sport is fucking retarded.

>> No.5051982

Traditionally in Korea, they believe the best tasting meat comes from dogs that have been tortured (slowly strangulated) and beaten to death. Koreans also enjoy staging horse fights (stallions fight over in-heat mare) and then eat the losers.

>> No.5051994

>>5051982
Fucking korean scumbags, they're lucky that we haven't nuked their sorry asses for eating our doge friends!

>> No.5051998

It kind of like discrimination to say it's OK to eat one kind of animal but not another because it's cute or whatever.

>> No.5052023
File: 108 KB, 499x489, 1387570704509.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5051731
My grandpa was friends with this German couple who he met during the war. They used to come and visit us in the states, we took them to a bbq place and Hans asked us if they ever bbq horse. He was sort of confused when we told him that nobody here really eats horse that we know of. Apparently Germans have a dish similar to roast beef except its almost always horse in place of the beef. Idk we have always owned horses and it seems like horses have always had a more useful purpose as opposed to becoming food. Nowadays with the advent of quads they are pretty much obsolete in ranching. I still can't see myself wanting to eat a horse. Id try it once though just to see how it tastes.

>> No.5052027

>>5051998
lol, cows are cute, dosnt stop them from tasting great.

>> No.5052317

>>5052023
The western european and american taboo concerning eating horse is probably due to them beeing useful work animals.
The german horse recipes that i now of 8 as a german) are almost exclusive some kind of sausage or glorious Sauerbraten. They are basically meant to make the though meat of old workhorses palatable.
Nowadays sauerbraten is made out of beef, no more old workhorses and riding horses have a too good healthcare in germany, that means too much medicine application and they are generally unfit for human consumption.
Still, Sauerbraten, look it up. It´s beef softeend up in a vinegar brine, then braised till tender.
The westfalian variant without raisins is the best variant.

>> No.5052319

>>5052317
http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/1887711306903057/Iris-westfaelischer-Sauerbraten-nach-Muttern-mit-ganz-viel-Sosse.html
forgot recipe, enjoy

>> No.5052331

>>5051731
Horses sound tasty to me, dogs do not. I've never ridden a horse.

>> No.5052357

Horse is great for jerky and smoked meat due to how lean it is.

>> No.5052364

>>5052317
>western european

No taboo over horsemeat in western europe. There's an entire branch of charcuterie devoted to horse in France, and the only reason it phased out in England was because it was a working class cut. Still had its popularity during wartime rationing.

The real taboo on horsemeat is a Catholic thing, due to papal bans on consuming horsemeat. For whatever reason. Another cause to bend my arse at the vatican.

>> No.5052389

if its not endangered i say eat it

not eating some animals because they're 'cute' or our 'friends' is retarded

vegfag btw

>> No.5052394

>>5052389
>btw im a girl

>> No.5052397

>>5052394
it was relevant and you know it

why shitpost do you actually enjoy directly making the board worse?

>> No.5052407

Horse meat is fucking delicious. Really lean and really tender when cooked right.

Never had dog, but I would probably eat it if given the opportunity.

>> No.5052418

I've heard dog meat isn't that great (weird taste, or was it texture?), and that horse meat could actually be decent.

>> No.5052469

This doesn't feel like the internet at all.
Normally this discussion would degenerate into racism. I've had hens,ducks and dogs as pets. I might or might not eat it when presented the situation, but I don't care if someone somewhere in the world eats dog meat.

>> No.5052478

>>5051982

You say Korean as in all of Korea.

>> No.5052495

>>5052317

THere isn't any taboo.

Horses are just cute so people don't like to eat it.

>> No.5052518

>>5052495
actually it's because historically horses were a lot more useful alive, it just didn't make sense to eat them when there were other things available.

>> No.5052520

>>5052317

cows and oxen are also useful work animals.

>> No.5052523

>>5052520
Also women.

>> No.5052532

>>5052518
It also has a lot to do with the intelligence factor. Horses tend to display more intelligence and create a bond with their owners/riders. Cows are just fucking big lumbering retards. People tend to have less of a problem eating stupid animals than those with some brains and personality.

>> No.5052537

>>5052532
No it does not have anything to do with the intelligence factor you retard.

People don't like to eat horses because they were used for riding more than eating.
Because of this they havent been available as meat very often so people arent used to the idea of it.

If people had spend millenniums riding pigs and living off puppy meat, people would be A okay with puppy meat and probably raise an eyebrow at eating pig meat.

>> No.5052542

>>5052518
don't eat dogs and cats, horses, oxen, etc because we domesticated them for a purpose other than meat or milk. Also there is a cultural element. In southern and eastern Europe eating horse is pretty normal. I guess it's to do with what was there in the past, so it's become a norm. Like in Japan they eat urchins, or how in Africa goat is a common meat because they could be kept in harsh conditions, or how insects, primates and things are eaten by indigenous people but we wouldn't dream of it.

>> No.5052576

The only reason you believe its immoral to not eat horse or dog is because of social conditioning over the course of hundreds of years. Its really no different than eating another animal, but you feel guilt because they have been turned into pets by most people.

>> No.5052582

Don't they have horse meat sashimi in Japan?

Do Japanese eat dog too or is that just Korean?

If I am hungry enough I'll eat my next door neighbor, but otherwise I'll steer clear based on my culture. We don't eat dogs or cats, not that we know of anyway. I'd try horse meat.

>> No.5052602

>>5051764
>>5051771
so are pet chickens and fish

>> No.5052608

>>5052582
>>Don't they have horse meat sashimi in Japan?
Yes, among other preparations. There are horsemeat specialty restaurants in Japan.

>Do Japanese eat dog too or is that just Korean?

No, that's korea and china.

>> No.5052610

As far as I know most of Europe eats horse meat. It's just the UK that has it's butt twisted over horse.

Horse steak and sausages and salami's with horse meat are quite common here I like it a lot.

>> No.5052613

If the dothraki can do it I don't see why i can't

>> No.5052615
File: 54 KB, 500x400, michielssen_filetdanvers[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Horse
10/10 Eat regularly
>Dog
Not available where I live but I'd like to try it.

>> No.5052621

>>5052469

maybe if this was posted on /b/ or /pol/. Even /an/ would be more civil.

The youtube comments in the OP link is enough racism. There are people in the comments section wishing genocide on all of Korea/Asia/Africa because of the people that eat dog.

>> No.5052624

I've eaten horse. It was pretty good.

I've never eaten dog but, I can't blame people for doing it instead of starving to death.

>> No.5052645

Horses I can eat. Dogs are omnivores, even carnivores. I don't eat animals that eat other animals. Pigs are omnivore as well, but animal matter is a very small part of their natural diet.

My father went to Finlan and told me they eat bear there. They say that the meat of bears who have been eating berries and fruit and shit tastes pretty good, while the meat of bears who have been gorging themselves on salmon tastes foul.

>> No.5052664

>>5052645
>I don't eat animals that eat other animals.

as a religious/personal thing, or just as a loose guide as to what tastes good

just curious since the first two strict carnivores that came to mind are squids and octopuses, both of which are very good despite their diet. I'm sure there are others

>> No.5052680

>>5051731

>this dog's face has been intentionally blurred, and his identity kept anonymous, so as to protect the privacy of his family and loved ones

>> No.5052695

>>5052664
Nah it's not religious, just a rough guide on good taste. In Italy cats and dogs were eaten during times of crisis (During WW2) so is a thing that's present in the cultural frame of the country. But carnivores taste bad, usually, and are only eaten when no better meat is available.

Most societal bans on foodstuffs arise from safety/sanitary and other utilitarian concerns. Then culture molds them into cultural/religious practices disconnected from the original meaning. This how taboos are born.

But yeah. Squids and octopuses. God knows if I don't like fried octupous and squid pasta. Mh.

>> No.5052703

>>5051731

I'm against eating meat in general. I just couldn't kill an animal and eat it.

>> No.5052712
File: 8 KB, 274x184, karhunkallo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5052645
Finn here. We actually have a relatively deep culture in regards of bear-eating. This stems of ritualistic bear worship, and most Finnic tribes regarded the bear as the brother of man. To eat bear was the same as to eat people, which would poison and defile your own meat in turn, causing weakness and insanity. Or so said the Karelian Finns, at least. To the rest of Finns, killing and consuming a bear was at the same time a feast and a funeral service, as it was our own brother being eaten. The feast focused on someone acting as shaman or wiseman placating the bear's spirit, and the participants together working to ensure the bear's reincarnation or journey back to the sky god by preserving its skull and other parts to be presented back to the forest. In a sense, the bear feast was a ritual comparable to the Christian eucharist, as the ones present partook of the bear's flesh and received part of his strength and wisdom.

Of course, another part of the feast was to eat well and get really stinkface drunk while having fun. When a bear was brought down and the opportunity of feast appeared, weddings were often quickly arranged to coincide for good fortune, as the "family of the bear" was at times also thought to be of marital relation to the family of man.

>> No.5053050

>>5052645

This, stuff like CJD is what occurs when you eat a full on carnivore like a dog or cat. It's a slippery slope by all accounts.

I have and would again happily eat horse however.

>> No.5053210

I like this chick's take on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5K04Zg5mTM

And personaly, I'm on the lookout for some dog meat here in grorious Asia, just so I can try it and piss off the animal fanatics here. The place I'm in is overrun with strays, and there is a network of expats and local animal fanatics who go around trying to ruin people's lives whenever anyone kills a few of the damn things.

This place was rabies-free up until recently, too, but suddenly we've got to worry about it again, but "oh no you can't kill the strays because they have more rights than humans!!! if the starving feral dogs attack you it's because you must have done something wrong!!!"

>> No.5055060

It's disheartening to read about people admitting they would do bad things just because "it probably tastes good." Cooking is the only hobby where morality flies out the window.

>> No.5055157
File: 36 KB, 200x200, 1265702670454.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5053210

>local animal fanatics who go around trying to ruin people's lives whenever anyone kills a few of the damn things.

Yeah, why ruin peoples' lives just because they took the lives of others? While we're at it, let's let all the guys on Death Row free

>> No.5055169

>>5055157
nigger pls

>> No.5055587

>>5051759
More than any other animal, dogs have evolved to be pets.

They're objectively the most petlike animals we know of. Now, cats, granted, aren't nearly as adapted. And this isn't an argument against cats as pets, or against eating dogs, all I'm saying is that pretending every animal is equally well adapted to being a pet is downright facetious.

>> No.5055762

>>5052523

>women
>useful work

I think those extraterrestial fellows are drunk and shitposting on 4chan again for luls

>> No.5055765

>>5052624

dog butt?

no, i wouldn't eat that

>> No.5055769

I live in Quebec and horse meat is in every grocery store. I don't eat it often, but I don't see any difference between eating horse versus cow.

>> No.5055770

>>5055587
>They're objectively the most petlike animals we know of.
That makes no sense.

>> No.5055772

one of these days i'm going to eat a cat

>> No.5055776
File: 69 KB, 430x300, zimmern sushi_500px.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>If it looks good, eat it!

>> No.5055777

>>5055770
Dogs were the first animals to be domesticated, and their purpose was for helping humans hunt and work. It makes a lot of sense.

>> No.5055781

>>5055777
>Dogs were the first animals to be domesticated
Any evidence supporting this would be pretty flimsy.

>> No.5055819

>>5055777
They were also probably good for keeping watch during the night for intruders.

>>5055781
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/38279/title/Origin-of-Domestic-Dogs/

Sure. Nothing but a fossil record, molecular clock evidence, and a few very good DNA hybridization studies.

>> No.5055822

>>5055819
>molecular clock
>evidence
Pick one.

>> No.5055871

>>5051731
Meh.

>> No.5055889

>>5055822
Until you come up with something better, accept that this is what we have to work with,

>> No.5056770

>>5055889

No he's right. Dogs were engineered to be pets. Their appereance is very neotenic (In most of the proper pet species. Not in the labour ones). Their behaviour retains puppy like characteristics even when they get old, and they fully view a human being as their leader if the owner is good.

Compare a dog to a puppy wolf and compare a pack of adult dogs to a pack of adult wolves and you'll see the difference.

>> No.5056805

>>5055776
His wife probably kicked his ass.

>> No.5056806

I'm not fundamentally against horse, but slaughtering practices in some of the countries where you can buy horse meat are pretty bad.

I don't eat predators. It's a waste of resources and they taste worse than herbivores.

>> No.5056851

I have eaten horse, and sort of like it. It is interesting that this is so unimaginable in the Anglo-American sphere. It is maybe not very common, but definitely available in all of continental Europe.

I'd also love to taste dog meat, and will look out for it when I'm traveling in SE Asia next spring. It is supposed to be a rather gelatinous, but mild-tasting meat.

>> No.5056856

>>5056806
Dogs aren't any more predators than pigs. Their meat is even comparable in taste.

>> No.5056859

>>5051731
I ate some horse the other day. It was alright but I think it wasn't cooked properly. Next year I'll be having a nice horse steak cooked by myself.

>> No.5056862

>>5051731
Horse: yeh who cares?
Dog: no

>> No.5057919

Horse tastes pretty good, idk about dogs, carnivores tend to taste bad.

>> No.5057924

>>5056856
>Dogs aren't any more predators than pigs
Yes they are.

>> No.5058127

I absolutely hate the idea of consuming another carnivore, especially a dog, but I'm not about to stop anyone from doing so. I don't see what's wrong with eating horses, in fact I'd love to try it, but I don't even know where I could even buy it.

>> No.5058163
File: 103 KB, 960x720, 1386655365309.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5051731
not gud frend doge. pls no

>> No.5058177

>>5052364

I might be wrong, but if I recall correctly, the French taste for horsemeat dates to the Napoleonic wars. The French army generally "foraged" it's supplies and during the Spanish campaign at one point the Spaniards in the area all took their food and vanished. The starving soldiers then started to look at those cavalry mounts in a whole new light...

>> No.5058190
File: 33 KB, 400x300, dogfood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5058706

Only white people get emotional and act like bitches when it comes to these animals.

Shell fish eat poop and are basically underwater insects
>"i dun care cause i got mah butter sauce and they good xD"

Dogs are the most pointless creatures on the face of this earth and do nothing but bark up the entire god damn neighborhood all night and day
>"bb-b-b-bbb-but they gud as pets :(. and when i wanna open mouth kiss it and have it knot me when im horny cause im a furfag :("

I congratulate the nips. Eat the fuckers and make sure you eat their ears and dip them in soy sauce while you're at it.

>> No.5058712

I've had horse sashimi when I was in Japan.

I have nothing against eating any particular animal as long as it isn't endangered and is killed humanely.

Though predators and other high food chain animals should be avoided as bad things get concentrated in them.

>> No.5058976

>>5053210
>I want to eat a dog so I can piss people off ahahaha
How's 6th grade going?

>> No.5058980

>>5056805
He probably liked it when she did.

>> No.5058993

>>5051731
Horse meat is the best food ever.

>> No.5059013

>>5058706
>Dogs are the most pointless creatures on the face of this earth and do nothing but bark up the entire god damn neighborhood all night and day
I do lots of things with my dog, including: hunting, skijoring, hiking, fishing, biking, etc.

You sound like you are Asian, Muslim, and/or grew up without pets because your parents wouldn't allow it.

>> No.5059024

>>5055157
>Comparing animals to humans
I'd sacrifice a hundred stray dogs to save a stranger's life.

>> No.5059038

>>5059024
I would rather a stranger die than a strange dog die. You think humans are objectively better because of social conditioning. Congrats.

>> No.5059046

>>5058127

>I absolutely hate the idea of consuming another carnivore

Another? What was the first one you ate?

>> No.5059047

>>5059038
If it's any consolation if I knew the stranger thought like you I'd save a dog over him too.

>> No.5059069

>>5059047
You would never know. I am a highly social individual and people find me charming. I prefer most animals over people, but that doesn't mean I don't like people. Or that people know I would gladly sacrifice them over an animal.

Biologically, there is more incentive for a fellow human to die than a sympatric animal. It's all about competition. You seem to think your affinity towards members of your species is actually deep and objectively meaningful.

Your arguments are basically analogous to hippie bullshit.

>> No.5059094

>>5059069
>You seem to think your affinity towards members of your species is actually deep and objectively meaningful.
That's funny, because you seem to think that your attachment to animals instead of human beings make you an intellectual that has evolved beyond human attachment. Your empathy is seriously misplaced and you have no argument.
Have fun in your fur suit.

>> No.5059098

>>5059038
>You think humans are objectively better because of social conditioning
And what's your fucking point?
You'd rather a dog die than a stranger because of social conditioning.
Every thought you have is because of your upbringing and surroundings.

>> No.5059102

>>5059069
>Is then bitten/mauled by the saved animal
Your arguments are pretty bad too

>> No.5059105

>>5051731
I think they should eat more horses. And more dogs.

>> No.5059108

Serious question, why isn't human meat farmed?

We have human prostitution, why not human meat?

>> No.5059116

>>5059108
ethics

>> No.5059137

>>5059116

More health problems involved. Easier to transmit disease.

>> No.5059145

>>5059116

Ethics didn't stop any other meat farming

>> No.5059146

>>5059108
because human meat taste horrible. Have you seen most of our diets.

>> No.5059161

>>5059116

>implying eating other humans is immoral

As long as they're killed humanely, it's fine