[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 98 KB, 964x802, 9134.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4957765 No.4957765 [Reply] [Original]

What do you think of this burger, /ck/?

>> No.4957804
File: 29 KB, 482x800, 5 out of 5 pretty good.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4957810

>>4957765

bitch, that's a salad

>> No.4957811

>>4957804
/trad

>> No.4957812

Looks like an absolute pain in the ass to eat, but worth the pain...bet it was great!

>> No.4957817

Far too much topping compared to the size of the patty

Otherwise, looks good.

>> No.4957818

Tomato slice bigger than the fucking meat? Get this the fuck out of here.

>> No.4957827

You keep eating those and I will buy stock in napkins.

>> No.4957830

>>4957765
Lose that big tomato slice and I'll be all over it

>> No.4957939

>>4957765

Seems OK, besides the thickness of the vegetable slices. There's so much tomato and onion that it'd be hard to taste the delicious patty that, sadly, probably has the texture of those pink erasers that tear paper apart.

>> No.4957960

>giant fucking pickles
>shit cheese
>tiny thin piece of shit meat

1) should be a thick patty or a patty that has been cooked no more than medium rare.

if you are concerned about E Coli, go fuck yourself

2) the cheese should always be something like cheddar or other high fat content cheese

3) where the fuck is the avocado?

4) never more than the absolute bare minimum of condiment. seriously there should either be zero condiment or like 1 gram of ketchup/mayo/thousand island/relish barely scraped over the surface of a bun

5) Buns should be cooked so as to caremelize them further. better to use a more robust bread than shit semolina "white bread"

6) tomato is a bit thick, but tomato is god tier and anyone who says otherwise is fucking gay.

7) never ever put onions on a burger unless you want to mask all of the other flavors, such as if the meat is guaranteed to be shitty.

Burgers are not sandwiches. they are meant to highlight the flavor of the meat. you don't put things that have stronger flavors than the meat on the burger.... but you CAN put them in a sandwich.

8) tomato should be lightly salted

7) minimal/zero bacon

>> No.4957964

>>4957765
I don't think much of it at all.

>> No.4957965

>>4957830
>Lose that big tomato slice and I'll be all over it
You can't have a BLT without tomato! The problem is the cheeseburger and pickles on there...wtf?

>> No.4957996
File: 86 KB, 367x433, 1341936074374.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4957830
>Lose that big tomato slice

>> No.4958048

>>4957765
i'd eat the shit out of it, but i'd say about a 3/10 on the burger scale of goodness.

honestly looks worse than a big mac (which i happen to love big macs)
>patty looks to be from frozen
>patty looks to only be 1/4 lb
>american cheese is underwhelming on a burger, particularly one with many flavors. cheddar or something with stronger flavor helps
>too much lettuce, tomato cut too thick
>super cheap bun

don't get me wrong, i'd nosh on that burger, but i also have low standards.

>> No.4958075

>>4957960
>1) should be a thick patty or a patty that has been cooked no more than medium rare.
>if you are concerned about E Coli, go fuck yourself
agreed
>2) the cheese should always be something like cheddar
for the flavor, yes. but not because of:

>or other high fat content cheese
absolutely NOT a requirement. why fat? what's the technical reason. (hint: there is none)

>3) where the fuck is the avocado?
overrated on burgers.
>4) never more than the absolute bare minimum of condiment. seriously there should either be zero condiment or like 1 gram of ketchup/mayo/thousand island/relish barely scraped over the surface of a bun
i agree with the sentiment that they're not needed, but the purpose of a condiment is to enhance. if that takes 2 cups of ketchup, so be it. would it be bad? yes. but that's not because ketchup is against the rules, it's because you made a burger that needed that much.

>5) Buns should be cooked so as to caremelize them further. better to use a more robust bread than shit semolina "white bread"
that's not at all how that works both on a scientific level and on a common superstition level. you're just making stuff up.

>6) tomato is a bit thick, but tomato is god tier and anyone who says otherwise is fucking gay.
you believe in no condiments but you believe in garnishes. you're self defeating.

>7) never ever put onions on a burger unless you want to mask all of the other flavors, such as if the meat is guaranteed to be shitty.
or you just suck at onions. they're a fantastic burger garnish. you must just use too many or use too close to the center of the onion.

>Burgers are not sandwiches. they are meant to highlight the flavor of the meat. you don't put things that have stronger flavors than the meat on the burger.... but you CAN put them in a sandwich.
WOOP WOOP burger police here.

>8) tomato should be lightly salted
to bring out the flavor to upstage the burger?

>7) minimal/zero bacon
fuck you.

>> No.4958080

>>4957965
I just don't like tomato, especially with a slice like that. That's all.

>> No.4958092

>>4958075
>>5) Buns should be cooked so as to caremelize them further. better to use a more robust bread than shit semolina "white bread"
>that's not at all how that works both on a scientific level and on a common superstition level. you're just making stuff up.

to clarify, in your total bullshit, you're talking about Maillard reactions, not caramelization, and secondly, the bread is cooked. if it wasn't cooked, it'd be goddamn dough.

and if you're such a big believer in everything highlighting the flavor of the meat, then you'd think that you would want a quieter bread flavor profile.

but you're just full of shit. you're spewing nonsense. fuck you. you make bad information spread. you use mommy science and dad's fake grill tips (only flip your bugers once, son, huehuehue) to sound like you have an elevated knowledge of food, but in reality you only serve as a link in the game of telephone to spread misinformation.

fuck you, fuck your food, and i hope your fortune cookies contain the wrong lotto numbers.

>> No.4958139

>>4958092

a) you are dumb

b) I am a chemist

c) maillard reactions are reactions between proteins/amino acids and sugars, and in semolina flour based breads, which are predominately composed of extremely short chain carbohydrates (not even "polymers" but purely oligomers), there is nowhere near enough protein distributed throughout the entire material for maillard reactions to be of considerable importance, yet there is considerable amounts of sugar residues capable of undergoing oxidation (because there are considerable numbers of chain-end defects because the carbohydrates are "simple" short chains, and the shorter the chain the more chain ends are contained in a particular sample)

HINT: the brown color of most cheap white breads is not from maillard reactions. its literally from food coloring.

d) I was never talking about coloring you moron. I was talking about flavor.

like cooking bread on a pan with a bit of oil or toasting it.

E) I referred to "more robust breads" as a different point.

white bread is shit. more robust breads taste better, regardless of how you cook them.

>> No.4958156

>>4958075
>you believe in no condiments but you believe in garnishes. you're self defeating.

garnishes discussed thus far:

tomatos
avocado

what is the defining feature of said garnishes? could it be that they both possess extremely simple and subtle flavors, especially in comparison to meat?

I did not mention pickles. Pickles and relish are obviously extremely powerful flavors. vinegar and shitloads of salt (way saltier than seawater) have a way of doing that.

Lettuce has effectively zero flavor and just adds texture/crunch

>onions

onions have a flavor that is detectable to the human tastebuds and sinuses in extremely small concentrations. Onions are a natural lachrymator.

by comparison to the other garnishes discussed onions are a 10,000 taste whereas avocados and tomatoes are 100 and 500 or something similar

beef has less innate flavor than onions, be they fresh (any variety), partially cooked/sweated (any variety), or caramelized (to any extent and of any variety)

>salt on tomatoes

like it or not salt tastes good to the human tastebuds on most foods, even sweets.

putting it directly on the tomato is a choice of an effective component of the complex food that is a burger. putting salt on bread would or lettuce would be a terrible choice

>condiments

all common condiments, including mayonaise, explicitly have extremely powerful flavors.

its not a coincidence: subtle flavors are not a conceptual component of the purpose of a condiment.

ketchup
mustard (any variety)
mayonnaise
any/all salad dressings

all have very powerful flavors.

Some people may consider a burger to be a variant of a sandwich, which really is just a form factor in which to ingest all of your meal items at once.

a hamburger is really a form factor that highlights cooked meat.

anything that takes away from the meat's central role is going to decrease the quality of a high end hamburger.

>> No.4958190

>>4958139
>HINT: the brown color of most cheap white breads is not from maillard reactions. its literally from food coloring.

there is some truth to this, we have a bakery at work and the majority of bread is not the wood-brown you get from a supermarket.

on that note rye is my favoured bread at the moment

>> No.4960390

>>4958075
I... I think I love you lol