[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 277 KB, 1600x1200, ham bean soup.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4949465 No.4949465[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Sup /ck/. So i'm not particularly well-off, and I need to save money for when I study abroad next semester.

Thusly, I have been trying to eat cheap, using the "large batches of nutritious but not expensive food" strategy.

Now while none of the stuff I've been eating for the past 4-5 months has been "bad", I've gotten very tired of eating nothing but beans-and-rice, bean soup, stew, chicken-and-noodles, etc.

So.

Does /ck/ have any suggestions for cheap, easyish meals that dont take the form of glop or stew?
I'd really like some variety in the texture of what I eat, at least for a little bit.

thanks in advance

>> No.4949470
File: 9 KB, 198x255, bam.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

PASTAR!

>> No.4949475

>>4949470
I was thinking of amking some sort of baked pasta dish. I've made varying forms of eggplant/spinach/mushroom lasagna quite a few times in the past year and, while its really good, its a bit pricy.

any other pasta dishes you can suggest that are cheap? maybe something baked with chicken?

>> No.4949478

get EBT
/thread

>> No.4949482

Raw vegitables and unseasoned meats

>> No.4949484

>>4949478
Get fucked commie.

OP, if you can make things in large batches. Think large pots of soups, stews, casseroles etc. It eats up a good bit of your budget up front, however cost per serving is lower.

>> No.4949485

>>4949475
>any other pasta dishes you can suggest that are cheap?

Pretty much any pasta dish will be cheap since it's all made from the same thing, it's just a question of shape. Pasta dishes also reheat well so they are ideal for the make-a-big-batch-then-reheat strategy. The ones involving cheese tend to be expensive (if you buy good cheese) or they suck (if you buy cheap cheese), so I'd steer you to a tomato-based pasta dishes rather than those containing cheese if you want to keep the budget down.

As for stews, etc, have you tried simply adding more variety to them? You can make them less boring by changing up your ingredients. Make chicken stew with white wine one week. Make beef stew with ale the next week, pork and apple another. With a variety of meats and a variety of liquids (wine, beer, stock, etc.), and a variety of veggies then you have a huge number of combinations to work with so it won't be the same every time.

>> No.4949487

Maybe bean burritos?

>> No.4949490

>>4949484

did you even read OP's post? He already said he is cooking large batches in advance.

He's asking for how to add variety and improve budget.

>> No.4949491

>>4949478
What's ebt?

>> No.4949500

>>4949485
I've tried to add some variety, but alot of stuff is just too expensive. Also <21 living in clapistan so i cant really use alcohol in food.

Its less "flavor" that i'm fed up with. All the stuff I've made has been pretty good and different in terms of taste. its more that everything is in the same textural form. all glop, or stew,stuff you eat with a spoon. I miss eating like actual meals with various dishes and a central thing like a meat serving. But that sort of cooking is rather expensive for my budget

>> No.4949504

>>4949491
Food stamps.

>> No.4949562

I'm using corn tortillas a lot. They can be had for cheap.

If you can get a wok, stir fry is very cheap and will take care of your texture boredom.

>> No.4949594

>>4949465
I used to make large batches of a bastard variant of shepherds pie, using cooked white rice instead of mashed potatoes.

>> No.4949611

>>4949594
sounds intriguing. i've made sheperds pie with the dried instant potatoes, it wasnt too bad

>> No.4949650

>>4949594
Shepherd's pie is barely pie to begin with, and you're making it with rice?

Fuck off, mate. What you are cooking is rice and mince. I bet you're even cooking cottage pie and calling it shepherd's because you don't know the god damn difference you fucking mongoloid.

>> No.4949687

>>4949465
make your own pasta, pastries and bread
bake pies
get a wok, wok any and every veg that's cheap (i.e. in season) with chicken or without it
flied lice w/ egg
teryaki
also, from one (big) chicken you can make, for cheap
- chicken soup (mirepoix, chicken bone stock, dumplings, done)
- stuffed chicken tighs
- drumsticks cacciatore
- hot wings
- chicken breast schnitzel
which you can eat with potatoes, rice, stir-fried veg, salad, whatever

>> No.4950617

>>4949465
roast potatos? small bits cook faster
You can add some fish, carrots, peppers etc to complete the dish

>> No.4950634

>>4949465
Potatos are cheap as fuck. I've been considering making oven-baked seasoned french fries, I could live off that shit for weeks.

>> No.4950643

>>4949465
Sauerkraut, onions, and sausage ain't bad. Throw some mustard on it and eat with a pickle spear maybe.

>> No.4950884

>>4950643

>>4950634
>>4950617
>>4949687
>>4949562

thanks dogs. i have a pretty wide cooking experience, its just ahrd to think of stuff thats not stew/glop that is also cheap. these ideas will def. help.

>> No.4950957

take a large quantity of whatever diced meat you like. Shove it in a pie crust with potatoes, onions, broth and spices. bake for hours.

this can alternatively be done with chicken and vegetables instead of diced meat and potatoes

>> No.4951368

Get some cheap tortillas. Put w/e the hell you want on them. Cook for about 10 minutes in the oven. Enjoy your own weird ass quesadilla. Salsa or no salsa works, plus cheese + meat + seasoning = a crunchy meal.

Or you can make mashed potatoes but those might not be a new texture for you.

>> No.4951377

If you want texture, you want salad. Salad can be cheap.

Collard greens, mustard greens, and kale are all very cheap, and a perfect base for a salad. Throw on some other cheap veggies like carrots, onion, cucumber, cauliflower, etc. For protein, use lentils or chickpeas. A simple vinaigrette with a couple herbs rounds it all out and gives a healthy, cheap, filling meal with an incredible variety of texture and flavor.

>> No.4951627

>>4949465

Cheap meals:

- French Toast.
- Hawaii Toast.
- Stuffed Mushrooms.
- Chicken Wing stripes wrapped in Ham.
- Fruit Salad.
- Pancakes.
- Kaiserschmarrn. (Look it up in Wikipedia. It is Great.)
- Gruel.
- Spaghetti alio olio.
- Banana in Honey.

>> No.4951665

Sandwiches. Just buy a package of chicken breasts, butterfly them then pound them out with a meat hammer, season with salt/pepper/powdered garlic/onion/red pepper, and fry in oil. Chop each breast into quarters and that's about the right size for bagel sandwiches. You can also dredge them in flour/egg/breadcrumbs and they're even better.

>> No.4951752

>>4950643
Yeah, that's actually an amazing dinner! Mashed potatoes also goes well with that. A fried egg is probably superb, too, if you want to eat less sausage.

Fuck, I almost forgot how good sauerkraut is. Getting some of that goodness tomorrow!