[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 2.01 MB, 2448x3264, allergies wtf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4911273 No.4911273[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey guys,
I've recently had some health issues due to food allergies. I also have MMA (Mammalian-Meat Allergy), AKA galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose, AKA alpha-gal.
Anyway, wondering if anyone knew of any good meals to make that doesn't have to include any of my allergies... but you'd have to look over my entire list.
Getting pretty tired of eating fish and turkey.

>> No.4911292

You poor son of a bitch.

>> No.4911298

>allergic to houseflys

>> No.4911302

Grain alcohol
And lots of it
Just don't stop until you leave this sad sad world
You really made me check my privilege here

>> No.4911311

>>4911273
>but you'd have to look over my entire list
Just curious, what does it include other than the obvious (beef, pork, and other mammal meat)? As a vegfag, that seems like an utterly trivial limitation to work around, since poultry seems like such an easy alternative in most dishes. I mean it sucks, no steaks or big macs etc., but I'd rather have that than a severe gluten or dairy allergy (no bread or no cheese = no pizza, omg!)

>> No.4911314

>>4911311
OOOooh me again, sry OP, I thought you just had MMA, didn't click the image. Well shit, if + and ++ means you really can't eat those, then fuck!

>> No.4911320

OP Here,

Yeah, I'm basically fucked. I can't eat a lot of vegetables, and I'm paranoid to even try new foods that aren't listed... Like sweet potatoes? I don't know if that's the same shit. I'm fucked

>> No.4911330
File: 280 KB, 460x390, quinnah.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4911273
Quinoa isn't listed on there one way or the other; would seem like a good food to try, cautiously. I'd cook it until soft, drain, add a bit of olive oil, lemon, and salt to taste, then scoop and eat it with corn chips, to add some crunch and because I could. (Yay no corn ban!) Some herbs or chopped cucumber would be good with the quinoa too, though they weren't tested for on your list.

Sesame isn't on there either, but my own peanut allergies led me to learn (too late) that sesame protein is chemically similar to other nuts that you are allergic to, so you'd probably want to avoid that too. Sesame is the only ingredient in tahini, a sesame paste used to make humus, some baba ganoujh, and other middle eastern dishes.

>> No.4911331

>>4911273
holy fuck dude. Just start allergy injections and ask about ones involving mammalian proteins. That's fucking balls.

>> No.4911363

>tuna
>coffee
>rye
>spinach
>banana

still have some decent options

>> No.4911373

>>4911330
Thanks. Any suggestions are appreciated.
>>4911331
I am currently doing the allergy injections. The MMA thing can't be "cured" that way, it just goes away after time.
>>4911363
Yeah, these get old after eating them 4-5 times a week. I wish there were different ways to prepare them.

>> No.4911375

>>4911330

Tahini typically has some oil added, does it not?

>> No.4911388

>>4911375
No. Tahini is ground, hulled sesame seeds. There is no oil added; the seeds are already plenty oily.

>> No.4911404

>>4911273

How severe are your allergies? I was told I was allergic to beef as a kid, but I ignored that and ate it anyway. I have no detectable allergic reaction to it now.

>> No.4911435

>>4911404
My allergies to mammalian meat aren't represented properly on this chart. MMA causes me to have a delayed reaction 6-7 hours after eating mammalian meat... delayed anaphylaxis during sleep is so enjoyable.

>> No.4911457
File: 6 KB, 251x247, 1310411782978s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

And here people still say pre-screening and genetic preventative measures in the womb are a 'bad' thing.

This isn't against you personally, OP. You're probably a really awesome guy.
Its just bullshit that you've gotta live with this sort of condition when it could've been easily prevented before you were even fully formed.
You could've been born from a different, healthier sperm, without any defects.

But noooooo, our society still says its 'evil', and that its better to let people limp along and suffer.
I'll never understand it.

>> No.4911510

>>4911273
>coffee
>tobacco
You're all set man.

>> No.4911513

I'm curious, what happens when you eat any of this stuff?

Holy shit, op. I feel really bad for you.

>> No.4911514

>>4911457
>pre-screening and genetic preventative measures
AMA is generally triggered by tick or chigger bites, and there aren't genetic tests for most food allergies.

>> No.4911526
File: 50 KB, 506x316, Louis CK ~ comedy;.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"Of course children who have nut allergies, we have to take care of them. . . . But maybe, if touching a nut kills you, you're supposed to die."

>> No.4911528

>>4911513
Also is this something you developed or something you were born with?

>> No.4911568

You got lucky and are allergic to a lot of things that are already unhealthy. Just base your meals around legumes, dark green leafy vegetables, and fruits you AREN'T allergic to

>> No.4911574

>>4911528
AMA is usually the result of a tick or chigger bite.
>>4911513
Not OP, but AMA produces triggers a histamine release (like a normal allergy, though with AMA it's time-delayed) which can result in itching, hives, or anaphylactic shock. Some AMA sufferers also have digstive or gynecological symptoms as well. Fainting and going into anyphylactic shock occurs more commonly while taking a crap, so if you've got someone to look after you, you don't want to lock the bathroom door.

>> No.4911717
File: 158 KB, 1600x1198, fried-mush.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oatmeal is a nice breakfast food. I'd cut up the apple and cook it with cinnamon and brown sugar (use Domino's, sure to be cane sugar rather than beet sugar), then cook some oatmeal (in water not milk) with a bit of salt. When done, add the apples to the oatmeal, along with and some canola oil (if you can have that), and more sugar/salt to taste.

You could also make some baked cinnamon apples.

Depending on your tolerance for weird food combos, you could also try oats with like sauteed carrots and navy beans, though I'm sure some people would prefer having the ingredients separate rather than combined; just depends on what you're into. Though after a couple months of tuna and turkey, your tolerance for weird combos is probably higher than average. :-)

Another old-school dish you could make is fried mush, using either cooked oats or cornmeal (I prefer cornmeal). Oats you just cook like normal with water until thick, with cornmeal use 3 cups of water with 1 cup of cornmeal and a teaspoon of salt, stirring until thick. Pour into a 9x5 loaf pan, cover & fridge overnight, in the morning slice the corn meal into 1 inch wide slices and fry in canola oil. Usually you'd eat them with some maple syrup, though I wouldn't try that with all your tree allergies...maybe just some brown sugar (use Domino's - it will be cane sugar rather than beet sugar), or corn syrup if you can get some without weird additives...or maybe with baked apples or something for some sweetness. I've had fried mush when camping. It may not sound like much, but on your diet, it would probably be a real treat. :-)

>> No.4911722

>>4911273
Was that from the test where you get your arms pricked and different fluids dropped on/injected?

I did the same test when I was a kid and ended up just ignoring everything less than 3 pluses and grew out of the rest. Immunology is confusing

>> No.4912439

>>4911722
This was on my back. The mammalian thing was a blood test

>> No.4912447

>>4911717
Sounds excellent. Thanks

>> No.4912470

>>4911457
>And here people still say pre-screening and genetic preventative measures in the womb are a 'bad' thing.
Prenatal screening is incredibly common, I'm not sure why you think otherwise.

Considering allergies are not necessarily genetic, screening wouldn't make sense. Also, OP may suffer a lower quality of life but it is not debilitating or an inherently bad trait.

Allergies are so common in all populations that is it obviously conceivable that a hypersensitive response to environmental allergens is evolutionarily beneficial.

I bet if you listed your medical history, CV, accomplishments, etc. we could all find reasons to euthanize you.

>> No.4912474

>>4911435
>delayed anaphylaxis
I always thought anaphylaxis was pretty much right after exposure. That is a scary thought.

>> No.4913330

Navy beans are easy to get a hold of. Is garbanzo/chick pea on the list? They could also fill in what protein you miss out on with MMA

>> No.4913338
File: 1.90 MB, 350x322, animated-gifs-09.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4911273
this the OP and food, so close yet so far

>> No.4913350
File: 103 KB, 90x120, 6exfg5y.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4911457

>> No.4915664

>>4911457
>>4912470
Yeah, this isn't genetic. Also, if these foods do not cause anaphylaxis, I get a cause of severe diarrhea and vomiting.

>>4913330
I fill the protein void with salmon and turkey. I do agree that navy beans are awesome. Peas are on the list.