[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 39 KB, 304x235, cuisinart-jr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4902029 No.4902029[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Is it safe to submerge one of these griddlers completely in water to clean it? Obviously unplugged.

>> No.4902052

>>4902029
No it will explode.

>> No.4902054

>>4902029
No it will make mustard gas.

>> No.4902062

>>4902052
>>4902054
I don't believe either of you. I thought /ck/ was smart. ;_;

>> No.4902065

>>4902062
Yeah, they're just trolling you. It's perfectly safe.

>> No.4902067

Yes, it's safe, couldn't harm you as long as it's unplugged.

The grill would probably not survive a bath though if it's slightly more complex than a electric heater.

>> No.4902068

>>4902029

Do the grill pieces detach? If they don't, I wouldn't risk it. Just wipe 'em down with a damp, soapy cloth.

>> No.4902074
File: 4 KB, 300x57, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4902029
Have you taken any blows to the head recently OP?

Captcha usurious

>> No.4902076

>>4902029
best way to clean these things is to take a few paper towels, fold them, get them really wet, and lay them inside the grill.

shut the grill and let it sit for an hour, then simply wipe everything out.

submerging any electrical appliances is usually a bad thing, you can damage sensitive components even in a simple grill.

>> No.4902081

>>4902067
>>4902068
The grill pieces do detatch and that's normally how I clean it. I found the enitre thing submerged in my sink earlier because my father thought it needed a deeper cleaning. I'm just curious as to how long I'll need to wait to use it again since the insides won't dry for awhile.

>>4902074
Not recently.

>>4902076
That's what I was thinking. I told my father he was an idiot but he's not buying into that just yet.

>> No.4902090

Best thing to do is turn it on until it produces a bit of steam when you pour water on it. Toss a couple ice cubes in and close it until they evaporate then wipe it down.

>> No.4902091

Nope. You can't submerge it. If it doesn't have removable plates, you are stuck scrubbing the plates.
I suggest a damp towel in there, plus turning it on until the crusty bits soften up. If it's nonstick, this is all you need to do. If it's cast iron and severely mistreated, you can use an oven cleaner, or more abrasive scrub like a Brillo to remove any caramelized bits. Obviously clean well, and don't let it get so bad next time, maybe with the use of PAM or damp towel trick next time until finishing use. If you're making something incredibly messy, you can sandwich aluminum foil to keep it a disposable cleanup. You'll notice a lot of commercial panini use is foil wrapped, as well as pressed sandwiches like Cubans, since there is such a prolific use of garlic butter.

>> No.4902096

>>4902029
Leave it plugged in for god mode.

>> No.4902103

>>4902081
>The grill pieces do detatch and that's normally how I clean it. I found the enitre thing submerged in my sink earlier because my father thought it needed a deeper cleaning. I'm just curious as to how long I'll need to wait to use it again since the insides won't dry for awhile.
Oh wow. Yea, you want to make sure it's dried out as much as possible. Maybe flip it on each side for a few hours. Get those plates off. Try to make sure it's dry before plugging it in.

The issue is that it'll blow some internal circuit breaker or electrocute you. It may not be able to reset itself, and might be permanently in the off position.
This is a common problem with waffle irons, because an idiot can overfill them with batter, and the housing and cracks pick up so much crap, and you can't submerge it. An electric coffeemaker, like a plug in percolator, or kettle, has nothing more than a electric coil inside but are better sealed from water. Maybe that led to his idiocy where he never had an issue beforehand. Make him call the manufacturer help line, rather than scold him, so they can either tell him off or give a specific "ok" this time on it.

>> No.4902113

While it's completely asinine to submerge it, I don't think it's will inherently cause problems; it really depends on the specific design. If it's got a exposed microcontrollers with closely-packed leads, water or conductive contaminants could be a serious problem. If it's simple analog components that are reasonably insulated, they should be fine...the connector for the power cord is probably the riskiest part.

>> No.4902119

>>4902103
>>4902113
You can bet that I won't be using that thing for a while. He claims that we can just let it dry for a "few weeks" and it'll be fine. I agreed but he still won't admit what he did was stupid.

>> No.4902125

I wouldn't use it after it had been submerged the whole thing could short causing injury to anybody touching it just throw it out and buy a new one its not worth being injured or dying over

>> No.4902139

>>4902125
I'm just curious, how does this machine shorting out actually work? Say my father claims that it's been drying for a few weeks and is safe to use now since there couldn't possibly be any water inside anymore. What could make it short out?

>> No.4902149

>>4902139
well it would never completely dry unless you took it apart and dried every component individually there will be water in hard to access parts of the electrics, so if water was touching more than one contact point of the circuit it would cause a short, if it was also say touching the metal exterior it is possible that it would become charged, pretty unlikely but it's still not worth the risk in my opinion

>> No.4902154

>>4902139
It will be fine after a few weeks.

>> No.4902160

yes. hold it deeply in the water. whilst adding bleach and ammonia. despite constant warnings plug it in zzzt stop. my mom was from Bristol. ( not TN) even though you would have to be really dumb, no no. dont do that. that, eggs and chips, eggs an tomatoes and semi warm beer. beans on toast plus they are unlikely to back down.

>> No.4902163

>>4902139
>it's been drying for a few weeks
Well, is there water inside or not? What happens when you shake it?

I suppose if this thing is a wedding gift heirloom or something that grandma gave you, you can take it to a repair shop to be disassembled and checked. I dunno.

I would err on the side of safety. Playing with electricity is no joke. And, if your Dad costs you money, you can remain pissed off without forgiveness forever, which is great, if you want that over him. Soaking an entire appliance is all levels of ignorant, but defensively standing by the choice is a high level of pride. It's only money. When you throw out your appliance, let him know you want it replaced by Christmas, or else.

>> No.4902179

>>4902029
I'm sure this has been answered, but I'm quick Replying...

No, it isn't safe. Most of those have detachable grill surfaces. You can remove them and clean them properly whenever you want.

The model you posted in the image is this one,

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/grills/gr-4n.html

Which states,

>Removable and reversible dishwasher-safe nonstick cooking plates for easy storage

>> No.4902201

>>4902154
yur fing arms off. need not wrry tis but a scratch

>> No.4902715

>>4902076
This, or something like this. Just use water on a hot surface and it'll steam off any stuck residue.

>> No.4902823 [DELETED] 

>>4902029

It is. It'll need to dry out completely before you plug it in, however. /v/ washes their motherboards.