[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 22 KB, 440x293, toast.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4889644 No.4889644 [Reply] [Original]

Alcoholic here. I've just stopped drinking about a week ago. I drank 2 bottles of red wine each evening for about 3 years. I'm aware that my body is going through huge changes and would appreciate some nutritional advice/recipes etc to help me out. Food that is good for the liver and food that can help me through this horrible withdrawal. I have always loved cooking and would really appreciate your nutritional advice. I'll share recipes, experiences etc in return.

>> No.4889651

>>4889644
Just try not to imagine how bleak and painful your existence will be when you never get to touch booze again.

>> No.4889655

>>4889644
Drink a lot of water to flush out that system of yours.

>> No.4889654

Since it's been a week, you are probably okay, just be aware that you can get delirium tremens. Only safe way to get off alcohol is to do it gradually.

>> No.4889663

DUDE.
I'm right there with you. I also just stopped drinking (after being a wine and beer binge drinker for several years). Did you feel really fucking delusional for the first few days after you quit? I'm still going through this spaced-out stage. What's crazy is this isn't my first time quitting. I quit drinking about 6 years ago, and then started up again after some bad life events. Anyway, I can give you some nutritional advice, because like I said, I've done this before, and I've done my research. You need to eat foods that make it easier/help your liver to process out toxins. At least for the first several weeks. Hang on, and I'l type out the list because I've got it right here.

>> No.4889678

>>4889663
Foods that are good for your liver:
>garlic
>grapefruit
>spinach (and other dark leafy greens)
>brussels sprouts
>beets
>carrots
>green tea
>avocados
>apples
>olive oil
>turmeric (spice)
>lemons and limes
>dandelion
>artichokes
>broccoli and cauliflower
>walnuts
>fish like mackerel, salmon, sardines, anchovies
>flax seeds
>cabbage
>whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, spelt, etc.

I recommend drinking a cup of hot water with lemon every morning as soon as you get up, then follow with green tea. Drink lots and lots of water, and take a milk thistle supplement twice a day (milk thistle is a liver cleanser).

>> No.4889679
File: 108 KB, 500x333, coq-au-vin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

coq au vin

>> No.4889700
File: 68 KB, 400x300, porridge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4889663
>I'm right there with you.
Thanks mate. I appreciate it.
>Did you feel really fucking delusional for the first few days after you quit?
Yes. Confused and giddy. Spaced out and forgetful. My sleep patterns are fucked and I feel very odd. I've always loved cooking and even when I was fucked up, I could cook up a good meal.
>then started up again after some bad life events
I know that feel.
>Hang on, and I'l type out the list because I've got it right here.
Thanks mate. I prefer to get my culinary advice from /ck/ than google. It's more of a community. Here have a bowl of porridge.

>> No.4889725
File: 1.47 MB, 300x225, claptastic.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4889678
Thanks m8. I'm going to eat some homemade chicken soup that I froze earlier. It's 20:35 here and I'm hungry. You've helped a lot. I'll research your list and go shopping tomorrow.

>> No.4889737

>>4889700
You're very welcome. Quitting drinking sucks, and it's always nice to know you're not alone in it.
>My sleep patterns are fucked and I feel very odd
Oh yeah, I'm having the same issues. I've been taking melatonin at night to help me sleep at the right hours, but I have bizarre dreams that wake me up all night. And that "odd feeling", I know exactly what you mean.
I love cooking too, and that's one thing that's keeping my mind occupied. I just have to make sure I'm cooking healthy meals, so I don't gain weight from eating poorly. I've been good about sticking to my lists of liver healthy foods and healthy foods in general, but my one vice is cheese. I can't stay out of it.
Oh, thanks for the porridge!

>> No.4889759

>>4889737
I try to eat a bowl of porridge for breakfast every morning. It's very healthy and tasty with some fruit and honey. And I have the occasional bacon sandwich. Stay clean, bro. Thanks for list and good luck!

>> No.4889770
File: 2.32 MB, 348x323, 1377104829088.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4889644
>giving up alcohol

that takes a strong person to do something like that. godspeed and good luck brother. I'll have a beer in your memory tonight

>> No.4889782

>>4889770
No. It takes a strong person to wake up at the buttcrack of dawn after getting blackout drunk to go a miserable job that is sucking his soul out daily and doing it all over again day after day.
OP is a pussy that is seeking validity and pats on the back for his 'effort'.

>> No.4889798

>>4889644
Coffee. The more the better.

>> No.4889804

>>4889644
Op ex-alcoholic here. I quit about 5 months ago. I drank a 750ml of vodka everyday for the last 10 years. Chased most of it with beer.
The first month is rough, but hang in there.
As far as what you are asking about my only suggestion is take a MultiVitamin. EVERY DAY do not skip a day. You will also feel very fatigued and tired most of the time. The reason you want the multivitamin is because your body has been so use to getting energy from all the sugar in the booze. The multivitamin will help regulate your energy and also give you all the other benefits of the vitamin. I would also recommend in taking a lot of Vitamin C.
Hang in there.

>> No.4889806

>>4889798
This is the farthest thing from being true.
Op avoid caffeine while trying to quit drinking.
Drink Orange Juice, or Green tea for your energy.

>> No.4889827

Take Milk Thistle OP. It helps clean out your liver and may even help repair damage caused by alcohol and other toxins. It's also helpful for people with hepatitis or cirrhosis. You can find it in supplement form in most pharmacies and even pharmacy section in supermarkets. Good luck and good health.

>> No.4889831

>>4889644
Ask a doctor, I'm serious.

>> No.4889834

>>4889782
No It takes a strong person to wake up in the shittist place in NYC (wards fucking island) and then try to stomach the slop those shitty hobo chefs try to feed you and make your way to work. Where you work for free under an asshole chef who takes to you like a man would talk to the wife he beats daily.

>"you think I want to do this?! Don't start drama by talking to other people about how I treat you."

Then to go from there and risk going to jail for the second time that day by hopping the train back to 125th street to take a bus (risking jail again) just to go back to shit island.

That's courage you pussy.

>> No.4889847
File: 11 KB, 480x480, aok.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP I quit drinking Mar 3 2012. I was downing a bottle (fith?) of vodka daily, 1.5L on weekends. The first month as stated above is tough - the first week is the worst shit I've ever experienced. It gets better though.

As far as food goes, I went completely into eating as ridiculously healthy as I good and did a "liver cleanse" that I bought from...I dunno, Whole Foods maybe? I don't know how effective it was, but it was a "thing" to do, to focus on.

Pick up a hobby - One of the hardest things about quitting is all the free time you'll find you have.

>> No.4889853

>>4889831
>Ask a doctor
Couldn't agree more. Two bottles of wine every night over a long period of time is serious alcoholism. You should consult with a professional.

>> No.4889956

>>4889806
Green tea contains caffeine.

>> No.4890080

i have about a bottle of wine a day.

so far that´s been working out fine for me. sometimes i drink more, sometimes less.

when i don´t feel good, i tend not to drink at all.

>> No.4890085

>>4890080
A bottle of wine a day is too much. Causes cancer and fucks up your liver, may also fuck up your life if it's a serious addiction. Try to reduce your dose.

>> No.4890087

>>4890085

why?

the only problem it causes me is financial, but that´s my fault for not making more money.

i think most peoples systems are different. i know i drink more than most other people, but i don´t think it´s compulsive.

the longest break i take occasionally is 4 days. sometimes i have just a glass or two when i don´t feel like drinking much. just a glass or two for dinner.

>> No.4890096

>>4890087
>the only problem it causes me is financial
The health problems will come later.

>> No.4890106

>>4889644
>I drank 2 bottles of red wine each evening for about 3 years

WTF kind of sissy lightweight only puts down a couple bottles of wine. Nigga, you ain't no alcoholic you're a PUSSY. Someone with a real problem would experience an increase in the frequency and amount they were drinking, just take your sally sad story, you bullshiting-ass casual drinker.

>> No.4890116

Enjoy the brain rot and early dimentia

>> No.4890133

>>4890106
>bragging about being an alcoholic

The surest sign of a loser.

>> No.4890137

>>4890106
What's wrong with you? Didn't go to enough parties at college?

>> No.4890148

>>4890087
Don't know how old you are and how long you've been doing this. Regardless I can tell you: if you keep doing this, the situation will get worse. You will probably consume more alcohol and you will encounter health problems. Do your current but especially your future self a favor and drink less. If you can't do it yourself, get external help.

>> No.4890198

>>4890087
You just don't know because you haven't tried not drinking.

After I quit drinking for awhile, it was like the world was a lot clearer. I could remember things better, focus more, get through a day without being tired, all sorts of good stuff.

So you can try to be a tough guy or a cool guy or whatever, but just know that every single person on earth will have worse health issues if they binge drink than if they don't. It's up to you, really.

>> No.4890214

>>4889644
Good luck, OP. Try to drink tea.

>> No.4890220

>>4889679
bahaha