[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 70 KB, 1000x669, 1qxfb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4860031 No.4860031[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How do I make soup?

Is it not enough that I toss a bunch of vegetables in a pan and keep it on low heat with the top on?

>> No.4860032

>>4860031
That would technically work, but it wouldn't be what you're used to. You would normally need a stock.

>> No.4860038

>>4860032

If my only ingredients were onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, and lime... what stock should I use?

>> No.4860041

>>4860038
That's a very interesting list of ingredients. You might be better off doing a spicy stir fry with those.

>> No.4860046

>>4860038
Veg.

>> No.4860061

>>4860046

What the fuck did you just call me?

>> No.4860062
File: 1.34 MB, 468x271, 1375975760258.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4860061

>> No.4860065

>>4860061
It's Swahili. Translates to Vag in English.

>> No.4860082

Well, you'd want to use a pot as opposed to a pan, pans don't hold very much. But otherwise, yes, your description would successfully make soup. Would definitely want to add some salt for flavor, and it still wouldn't be a terribly good soup, but it'd be inexpensive, healthy and filling.

Regarding your specific soup, I'd type your ingredients into google alongside the words "soup" and "recipe" and see what comes up. I doubt the instructions will be terribly difficult. Most recipes that come up on googles top page are fairly thoroughly reviewed, so go ahead and pay attention to ratings and read a few comments. You'll learn a lot about soup rather quickly so long as you have a basic understanding of kitchen vocabulary, which I suddenly doubt ... give it a try anyway though.

>> No.4860092

Not OP, but can I use supermarket boxed chicken broth to mixed half/half with water and added veggies for soup?

>> No.4860102

>>4860092
Sure, it still wouldn't be that great tasting. Needs more seasoning, throw some
Browned meat in there. Something.

>> No.4860140

Alright, basic soup technique:

Sear meats you're using, if any. Sometimes you dust them with salted flour first. Then sweat some vegetables in that same pot. This is just medium heat under cut up vegetables with some salt in them that you're stirring occasionally so they don't burn. Tan and light brown are good, black is bad. Usually throw some garlic in there before the end. You're trying to develop a tiny bit of flavor by applying a more intense dry heat before the whole "soup" phase.

Now you turn it into soup. Add broth preferably, but water works if you're poor. Bullion cubes also work wonders for poorfags. Lots and lots of water. Now you want to season. Let's take this in an Italian direction, eh? Minestrone is good stuff, let's make that. You've probably got italian blend lying around somewhere, add a good amount of that to the soup. Throw in a bay leaf and some black pepper and a dash of salt and taste it. It will be bland as fuck. Then I'd dump in a can of kidney beans and a starch. You can do potatoes, can do pasta, can do rice, can do orzo, you can do a lot of crap. It's soup, it takes anything in your kitchen. Let that cook, but beware if you're using a dry grain or pasta it'll suck up a lot of your water. Add more if needed. Once the entire cooking process is done and all your ingredients are cooked through (you'll probably turn most of them into mush your first try, this is fine and simply part of the learning process) taste again, and then here's a little newbie trick: Grab a coffee mug, and ladle some of your soup into it. Salt this mug of soup until it tastes just perfect. If it get's too salty, dilute it with more soup. Once you have an idea of how much salt the dish needs, go ahead and salt the main pot of soup, but intentionally undersalt it a little. You can always add salt at the table, after all.

Congrats! Basic soup! Easiest thing in the world, really.

>> No.4860253
File: 28 KB, 429x399, 1357430805165.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4860140
Feel like you've salted your soup to death but it still lacks zing?

Add a small squirt of lemon juice to make it come alive.

Doesn't work with cream soups, of course.

>> No.4860257

inb4 ppl telling OP soup is not tasty without meat or bones

>> No.4860289

>>4860031
spices and herbs.

I use meats with bones in them.
collar bone, neck bone, I used leg last time i cooked. or you can even use sausage, I prefer andouie sausage, however you spell it.

basically if you want meat in your soup brown that shit then take it out of the pot and add in your carrots, onion, celery mixture and saute until theyre cooked. then add the meat back in and you can use broth if you want. I use a liter of veggie broth and works fine. after that add some beans or veggies or noodles.

spices i add are
1tb cumin
2tb chili powdwer
2tb smoked paprika
and couple bay leaves

this recipe is pretty simple. if you dont want meat take out the meat.

pro tip: add black beans and lentil. theyre cheap and filling.

>> No.4860296

Roast some of those veggies.
Nicely browned onions and roasty tomatoes are a good place to start and a big roasting pan can help spread things out in the dry heat of the oven instead of starting out by stewing in a heap in the bottom of the pot.

This is also an important step if you are making some veggie stock with the celery trimmings, dented carrots, bell pepper and tomato tops, woody asparagus ends, herb stems, leek greens, corn cobs and all the half-onions that you have been stocking up in the freezer. Then you barely bubble them with lots of water for an hour or so, more or less, extracting all that is good and wholesome. Strain the magic elixer, removing the veggies that have given their all in the finest hour.

Freeze this or use soon.. Use it to make vegetable soup with more photogenic veggies (or any kind of soup that uses broth?) and have a head-start on the road to joy.

>> No.4860308
File: 959 KB, 245x194, cry-about-it-lol.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4860296

that.. that was poetic