[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 750 KB, 1000x750, foodchallenge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4857661 No.4857661[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Thought we'd play a little game here. Post a recipe of something from your culture, favourite cuisine, family tradition, or just shit you like to munch on. The challenge: choose something from the thread that you wouldn't usually eat or have never tried, cap the recipe, post results.

Twist: It must be something that people have told you is weird/gross/something they'd never ever eat/something you've never heard of other families doing etc. DO post real recipes, and your comments on it. DON'T post obviously inedible recipes, or make shit up you've never tried before. The point is to share a food quirk that you love, and try to get others to try the same experience.

>> No.4857677
File: 134 KB, 768x768, 1377735654949.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4857661

Th-this isn't the /ck/ challenge.

>> No.4857684

I'll bite.

Pork Liver Congee: Really delicious umami flavor throughout, creamy, hot, and very comforting. Mostly white people have told me eating pork liver is disgusting, or they can't stand the texture of the rice porridge. Makes great breakfast, easy to reheat in portions and very filling and nutritious.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 Pork Liver
Shredded ginger, about thumb size
Chopped Chinese leeks, 5-6 stalks or to taste
1.5 cups uncooked rice (any grain is fine, brown or wild might not work)
Some starch, maybe 1 tbsp
Dash sesame oil
Shaoxing wine about 2 tbsp (can use shoju, dry sherry, or sake instead)
Salt to taste
1. Wash then add rice to rice cooker (or non-stick pot), cover with about 4 times volume in water and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 1 hour, stirring to avoid burning the bottom (if in pot) and top up with water occasionally just enough to cover the rice.
2.Wash and slice the liver into roughly 4cm pieces, 5mm thick. Marinade with the ginger, starch, wine, and sesame oil. Mix thoroughly, let sit until congee is almost done.
3. Congee is done when the rice grains are no longer clearly defined, and the broth/water is slightly milky and syrupy. Should have consistency of runny porridge.
4. Stir in the liver pieces into the hot rice porridge, add the ginger too. Stir gently until combined and then close lid to simmer for additional 5 minutes until liver slices are no longer pink in the middle.
5. Salt to taste in the pot, serve with sprinkle of chopped leeks.

Whew, ok. Looking forward to trying shit other people post. Don't ask me how many g the pork liver is idk, I just buy one. If you're tentative get a small one.

>> No.4857745
File: 64 KB, 640x384, 1374022293933.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4857677
I think what this anon means to say is this isn't the Official /ck/ Top Master Iron Chef Ultimate Nightmare Kitchen Survivor Challenge.