[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.47 MB, 1644x2301, egg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4767667 No.4767667 [Reply] [Original]

How do I make good scrambled eggs? How do you make your eggs?

>> No.4767679

Me, I do it by fucking up an omelette.

>> No.4767687
File: 167 KB, 399x394, kronk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Heat pan on medium with salted butter, just till it begins to bubble. Crack about 2 eggs (per person) with salt and pepper in a cup/bowl and whisk with a fork until everything's pretty well blended. Pour the eggs in the pan and scrape the bottom up until all the eggs have set up. Turn off the heat as soon as you see all traces of shiny wet yolk/white has disappeared.

Variations: Add a splash of milk in while whisking for fluffier eggs. Add spices into the egg mixture instead of the pan for even dispersion. Add cheese to the pan right after pouring the eggs in for a cheesy treat.

>> No.4767689

>>4767679
This is how I did it for a long time, but I discovered that near constant stirring turns out fluffier eggs.
I eat lots of scrambled eggs, sometimes going through half a dozen in a day.

Though my favorite way to have eggs is deviled, with just mayo and mustard for the yolk filling.

SInce I am just making them for me, sometimes I just eat the filling out of the bowl and then eat all the egg whites separately.

Good scrambled eggs come from properly greasing the pans and then breaking the eggs into a bowl and whisking them with a splash of milk. Try not to over stir them though.

Though really so long as everything is cooked you can eat eggs however you want.

>> No.4767691

>>4767687
Thanks! That actually sounds pretty good.

>> No.4767695

always add a little splash of water to make them fluffy. milk or cream doesn't work

>> No.4767699

Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a pan. Add an equal amount of cream. Season it up with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook on lowest setting of burner for 30 minutes until softly set, stirring only with a fork. Curds should be small and very fluffy. I personally like to add tarragon.

>> No.4767702

>>4767699
Oh whoops that's for 6 eggs.

>> No.4767713

crack the egg and drop it from 20-30 cm on a hot buttered pan
it splatters evenly across the pan, with the yellow and white mixing in good proportions

or, if im feeling fancy, stir them up with some milk/broth and spices and fry them Tamagoyaki-Style like in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NTIcJ_tdEJM

>> No.4767718

>>4767695
Uh... I've used milk plenty of times with great success. I'm not doubting that water works, but I know from experience that milk does too.

>> No.4767738

>>4767667
>How do I make good scrambled eggs? How do you make your eggs?
Not even successful chefs agree on what a finished "scramble" should look like or be, from runny and glistening, like latin america, to some overbeaten high heat slurry filled with as much dairy or cheese to be a dessert custard, ie Ramsey,
Water or milk is simply to offset moisture lost by cooking. Nothing more. Whipping ahead of time, or even the whites separately is enough for whatever fluffiness you want. Not in the pan. You only want to fold or move it gently to set protein. This is science. Everything else you're doing is anecdotal or relative in comparison to your best experience.

>> No.4768040

>>4767667
>How do I make good scrambled eggs?
There are many ways to do good scrambled eggs, focus instead on how you make them badly and avoid 'em.

Error no 1: overcooking. This is the cardinal error with scrambled eggs. If they're cooked long enough that they're bouncy you're overcooking them.

Error no 2: too much milk or cream. Same as with an omelette, if you add too much milk or cream you affect the ability of the egg to properly set. But if you like your scrambled eggs creamy and even a bit runny then by all means add a bit more cream than you would otherwise.

Error no 3: underseasoning. Eggs need seasoning in order to bring the flavour out, so don't neglect the salt & pepper.

>> No.4768055

>>4768040
I agree with everything you said, including not neglecting to season, but I must add that you shouldn't add salt until right before serving, as salt makes eggs tough.

>> No.4768075 [DELETED] 

>>4767667
Chef's egg recipe from Michelin Restaurants Company:

ingredient:
2 eggs
2 tomato slices
3 cheese slices (white/yellow)
1 ounce sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup milk or heavy cream
1/4 chopped up onion (fine)
salt and pepper

direction: mix together in standard scramblers' brand bowl, heat on low heat for slow cook for 10 minutes, then ramp up the heat to stiffen up the mix into a firm slab. Flip slab around to evenly cook. Let cool before eating.

This was a post by Darion.

>> No.4768202

>>4767687
just tried this 5 minutes ago.

absolutely amazing, will be doing this from now on

>> No.4768250 [DELETED] 

>>4768075
>>4768075
just tried this 5 minutes ago.

absolutely amazing, will be doing this from now on. I never been at one of the Michelin Restaurants Company restaurants, but I know about how they give stars out to other restaurants and how they are famous, so I know your advice is a good one. Thanks.

>> No.4768257

>>4767687
you don't season before you fry because it breaks up the proteins
season just before finishing

I also add butter at the end and finishes fantastic

>> No.4768464

>>4768075
>1 ounce sugar

i thought this was serious for a second lol /ck/

>> No.4768477

i don't pre mix my eggs, i do it with a high heat but i move the pan on and off. i also start with foaming butter and i season at the end and i stir like a maniac.

usually i finish with dill and eat with salmon

>> No.4768486

put pan on just below medium heat
crack some eggs into bowl
beat the eggs with a fork (can eat them with same fork later on)
when they are good and mixed the pan should be hot enough so pour a little bit in
want to hear a little sizzling sound but not too much
pour in rest of egg if sound is right
keep lifting the egg off the bottom of pan every few seconds
once there is no more liquid egg turn off heat and let them sit in pan for a bit flip half way through (this part can get them very soft or slightly brown)
put on plate and add a bit of salt and fresh ground pepper

they come out really nice this way every time

>> No.4768621 [DELETED] 

>>4768464
The sugar can be changed up to 4 ounces for a sweeter mix or can be replaced by equal amounts of salt for french style brine eggs. it's a salty breakfast classic. blegian style uses both salt and sugar (2 ounces of each) and italian twist can be added by pouring into it saffron or rice pieces and sausage flakes. this was also known as the spanish twist.

>> No.4768632

>>4768621

who even IS this guy

>> No.4768653 [DELETED] 

>>4768632
THese were posts by Darion which is who I am: I am Darion. These were my posts of this topic.

>> No.4768655

I love sunny side up eggs on a bed of hash browns and toast.

>> No.4768952

>>4767687
not op, but this was helpful as fuck and I read it all in Brock's voice. Salute to you

>> No.4768987

Im melting butter

As soon as its liquid im putting 2 slices of ham on it togheter with 2-3 onion rings.

Im heating untill hma starts rolling (you know, flat part of ham while heated on oil starts to "raise" sides)

In very short meantime I am putting 4 eggs per single me to the cup, adding little salt.

Eggs literally jumps into pan (they want to be eaten so badly!), now its hard part:

If you have one of those brand new teflon pans you cannot help yourself.
If you own one of that totally best in the world iron pots from before war, just keep scratching bottom with fork untill there is not a single "wet" part of egg visible, immediately put it on plate or it will start burning out.

Tase.
If its good, eat.
f its not yet good, add little more salt and its perfect now.

>> No.4769033

Omelet , the Julia Child way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWi3NwDrQok

>> No.4769152

>ctrl+f
>no half and half
ATK's Perfect Scrambled Eggs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V7H5UzwpIM

>> No.4769450

>>4768055
>but I must add that you shouldn't add salt until right before serving, as salt makes eggs tough.
You might want to do some comparative test, check that for yourself.

>>4768653
I think you're missing the point of an anonymous board...

>>4768250
Isn't it fun that you follow him around?

>> No.4769468

my ex-girlfriend taught me how to make "just kidding" scrambled eggs, which is how i like 'em now. you start out just frying 'em sunny-side up style then when you would otherwise cover or flip them you scream "JUST KIDDING" and then mix 'em all up. turns out so the whites and yolks are distinct little white and yellow bits and you can still keep them nice and fluffy if you don't overcook them

i still make them alone in my studio apartment, yelling out loud to myself and all, and eat them with a bit of sourdough toast, bacon, some small roasted tomatoes, and stifling despair

>> No.4769610

>>4769468
10/10 would laugh again

I was always taught to make them with a little bit of milk, but I find that makes them watery, so I started adding full cream milk while im whisking them.

I put butter at the bottom of the pot and keep it on a low heat, always stiring and thats it

>> No.4769643

Check out Gordon Ramsay's tutorial on Youtube. That's how I make scrambled eggs and they come out perfect every time. However, there's a million different methods that produce an equally good result, and I guess the only thing that's a definite no-no is overcooking your eggs.

>> No.4769650

>>4769643
this. i had a billion methods to make scrambled eggs but have been making them like this ever since i stumbled upon this video. perfect, fluffy texture and very even consistency. if i want to add other ingredients like bacon bits i prepare them separetely and mix with fully prepared eggs.

>> No.4769655

>>4767667
Basic scrambled eggs have two undeniable rules:
1. Add salt after cooking.
2. Eggs keep cooking after you plate them, so plate just before they are done.

>> No.4769658

>>4767695
My rule is milk for scrambled and water for omelettes. No real reason just what I was taught and liked.

>> No.4769660

>>4768075
>1 cup butter per two eggs

Fucking hell we're making scrambled eggs here, not Hollandaise! Is everything a daughter sauce to the French?

>> No.4769853

>>4769655
>Basic scrambled eggs have two undeniable rules:
>1. Add salt after cooking.
>2. Eggs keep cooking after you plate them, so plate just before they are done.
Well you got one of those right (hint: it's #2).

This 'rule' that a lot of people repeat on /ck/ is just an arbitrary choice that got encoded as a thing you *should* do rather than how it surely started, as thing you *could* do.

It's not any different from the stupid-as-paint crap about a hot pan sealing the surface of meat, the evidence about whether it does or doesn't do what's claimed is right there waiting to be confirmed by anyone who cares to. But sadly most of us are too lazy to do even one comparative test on this kind of thing.

>> No.4769889

>>4769853
So is Ramsay, the 15 Michelin star chef also wrong when advocating rule number 1 here (http://youtu.be/PUP7U5vTMM0?t=1m1s)? Was he also too lazy to do even the most basic testing of a dish he claims he has every new cook he employs demonstrate to verify his skill?

>> No.4769902

>>4769889

yes.

>> No.4769905

>>4769889
>Using Ramsey as a guide
Lawl.

>> No.4769919

>>4769905
Better than the word of a random faggot on the Internet.

>> No.4769921

>>4769919
Hope you enjoy your MOST AMAZING WalMart steak, Anon. It's what Ramsey would want you to eat.

>> No.4769925

>>4769919
>Better than the word of a random faggot on the Internet.
Wrong is wrong.

>> No.4769943

>>4769925
If you use anything said on 4chan as a guide in your kitchen, you're retarded. Nobody on /ck/ actually cooks or knows how cooking works or what a saucepan is. Or if somebody does, they'll intentionally give you bad advice as a joke.

>> No.4769967

>>4769889
Yes.

Sorry to tarnish your image of the man as some faultless source of cooking wisdom but Ramsay used to be guilty of claiming / believing that high heat sealed meat. I've heard him say the words although I guess you won't believe it unless you hear it with your own ears, but I can't recall which program and it might not be up online anyway (could be an old BBC or Channel 4 thing, don't know).

However there is this recipe of his as evidence:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2476/gordons-mix-and-match-steak

So no, I won't take anything he says as gospel... any more than I will anything ANY chef says until I verify for myself. Because I *have* done comparative tests numerous times and have discovered many things long claimed to be true are utter BS.

>> No.4769994

The best scrambled eggs are with fresh porcini, juicy enough to color the entire dish a mushroomy yellowish gray and adding an amazing contrast in texture.

>> No.4770111

>>4769967
>http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2476/gordons-mix-and-match-steak

what is that recipe supposed to evidence?

i do notice he says not to salt the meat beforehand which is dumb

>> No.4770140

>>4767667
I find adding about 1 TB of heavy cream for each egg then scrambling them with a fork in a deep bowl produces the most evenly color scrambled eggs and they will turn out quite fluffy. However, I pour mine into a bowl and cook it in a toaster oven to make them maximum fluffy. The microwave can do the same thing, but it requires too much stirring every little big until near the end.

>> No.4770144

>>4769943
Only a child wouldn't be able to differentiate between troll advice, ignorant advice, and good advice. This is the internet, just do some fact checking and cross referencing.

>> No.4770171
File: 164 KB, 500x500, 1375342706141.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Now this is something that I made when I started becoming a ro/ck/star. Now I only make it on lazy hungover sundays.

I crack two eggs in a bowl and whisk it with some red chili pepper powder, salt, milk, cumin, parsley and slices of green hot chili peppers. Then i make a "pancake" of it on a heat changing from medium to low to medium.

When done, slice it in half or quarters and put it between freshly toasted bread with a tall glass of milk.

On a side-note: I've never really liked scrambled eggs and it's mostly because of the sort of bland taste. Am I doing something wrong or is it my fucked up palate?
Because evidently good scrambled eggs are the food of the Gods.

>> No.4770176

>>4770171

'bland' can mean many things. maybe you didnt season it enough, maybe you added too much other shit, maybe you added not enough other shit (chives or w/e), maybe you just don't like the mild flavour of eggs

>> No.4770209
File: 75 KB, 259x259, 1374463314186.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4770176
Exactly, they always come out with a mild flavour and a pinch of salt more than the last time gives it a fucked up taste. My count is at 27 tries right now but I guess it's just something one enjoys or doesn't.

>tfw you can never go to a restaurant to taste real food because of cooties on top of being a NEET.

>> No.4770217

>>4770140
How do you add a TeraByte of a physical object?

>> No.4770220

>>4770217
gb2/g/

>> No.4770360

>>4770111
Look for the word seal dude.

>> No.4770612

>>4770360

oh i see it. using the word seal isn't too big a deal, you could mean it in the sense of getting a consistent sear

>> No.4772040
File: 176 KB, 706x602, egg whites and salt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4769853
Egg whites are roughly 90% water and 10% protein. Heat denatures the proteins, causing them to unfurl.

Parts of the unfurled protein strand are repelled by water (hydrophobic), and other parts of the same protein are attracted to it. This causes the protein to curl in on itself, trapping water and forming an increasingly solid gel. This denaturation is why eggs get solid.

Adding salt interferes with the denaturation of the proteins in the egg whites. They remain coagulated, trapping less water, and remaining thinner and runnier. At high salt concentrations, these coagulations produce a gritty taste in the egg.

This is also why, when making a meringue, you don't add salt to your egg whites before beating. By preventing the proteins from denaturing, it takes longer for your beating to unfurl them, and the coagulated proteins don't form nice, stiff peaks as easily.

TL;DR science says add your salt after, you goons, although small amounts won't hurt your eggs as much.

>> No.4772042

>>4770612
>oh i see it. using the word seal isn't too big a deal, you could mean it in the sense of getting a consistent sear
Oh for g.... Seal means seal. Sear means sear. If he'd meant sear he'd have used that word.

Trust me, he meant seal. Like I said I have heard him say it directly, "seal in the juices" or words to that effect.

>> No.4772064

>>4772040

idon't have access to my copy of mcgee at the moment but from what i remember he claims that salt's 'interference' in the denaturation of the egg whites is a good thing when it comes to scrambled eggs because it prevents them from coagulating as tightly.

>> No.4772065

>>4772040
>salt makes eggs tough.
Nice science! TVM.

Problem though, how does this tally with the theory that adding salt before cooking makes eggs tough? That's the specific claim I was countering. Your post seems to state/imply that the eggs get solid *better* without salt.....

Regardless, empirical evidence tops theory every time. As I said in >>4769450 anyone doubtful might want to do some comparative tests of their own.

>> No.4772087
File: 19 KB, 302x270, amusing capcha.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4772064
That doesn't sound right, given that salt drives the proteins to form clumps, as in >>4772040

>>4772065
>salt makes scrambled eggs tough
That's probably because you have to cook salted eggs longer and hotter to get them to set.

It's honestly not something I'd given much thought to before this thread, and it's been a while since I've taken studied anything resembling chemistry. I'd appreciate corrections (beyond "herp there's no way salt affects protein denaturation wake up sheeple")

>> No.4772095

>>4772087

>“There is no truth to the common saying that acidity and salt “toughen” egg proteins. Acids and salt do pretty much the same thing to eggs proteins. They get the proteins together sooner, but they don’t let them get as close together. That is, acids and salt make eggs thicken and coagulate at a lower cooking temperature, but actually produce a more tender texture.”

>> No.4772108

>>4772095
>more tender texture
Sounds like a charitable way of describing "runnier." That book looks interesting, by the way.

>> No.4772109

>>4772095
Broscience makes me rage. What a hack.

>> No.4772114

>>4772109

he's right though.

>> No.4772131

>>4772114
No.

>> No.4772138

>>4772131

according to what

>> No.4772309

>>4772109
Let me get this straight, you are actually accusing Harold McGee of broscience?

I'm all for having a questioning attitude and not accepting stuff written in a book as gospel but FFS dude.

Serious question if you have the balls to answer I'd appreciate it: you're basing your objection on something you believe to be true (but can't recall from where)?

If you can remember the source pls specify:
>culinary school?
>TV chef(s)?
>cookbook(s)?

>> No.4772375

Is it okay if I use olive oil in the pan for scrambled or omelet?

>> No.4772378

>>4772375
Nothing wrong with it. The effect is quite different to butter though.

>> No.4772383

There's a lot of ways to do it.

My usual method is to get my pan omelet hot, toss in cold butter, emphasis on cold, and as soon as I pour in my whisked eggs then I season because it takes literally like 5 seconds to cook them.

Adding salt before does make them more watery. Cooking basics really. I won't quote ramsey as a source, but my current boss competed in the world culinary olympics and even he agrees you don't season eggs before hand.

>> No.4772431

>>4772383
>Adding salt before does make them more watery. Cooking basics really.
See, I don't find that and I *always* season my beaten-egg dishes ahead.

What about salty liquids, shouldn't they have the same effect... if so then what about tamagoyaki? That is *anything but* watery.

>I won't quote ramsey as a source, but my current boss competed in the world culinary olympics and even he agrees you don't season eggs before hand.
I've heard this from many top chefs too, sometimes with specific details given as to why ...*variable* details... But I've also seen a number of chefs, including some with Michelin stars to their name, who *do* season ahead.

This kind of conflicting advice is what should compel interested cooks (and chefs for that matter) to check it out for themselves. I did. That's why I know it's BS that pre-seasoning the beaten egg causes them to be tough. Or watery.

The watery thing I have had happen a few times, and no way is salt the direct cause. Too much milk sure can be, I can assure anyone of that!

As for tough, that's easy: they're overcooked. That's the simplest explanation and I'd bet any amount of money it's the cause in 95% of cases.

>> No.4772457

>>4767667

Crack two large eggs and whisk em for a bit in a bowl, if you want now is a good time to add some pepper or any other seasoning you'd like.
Put some butter into the pan and them let it melt for a bit, then put in the eggs and stir with a wooden spoon. If you have any toast or something else you'd like to have with your eggs, make it now.
Let the eggs cook for a bit while stirring and take them out while they still have some moisture left in em.
If it's done right, they taste damn good.

Enjoy.

>> No.4772578

>>4772457
>Put some butter into the pan and them let it melt for a bit,
Common cheffy tip: leave butter to heat until it has just stopped sizzling.

>> No.4772734

When I want scrambled eggs (which is rare; over easy master race)

I always crack them in the pan let the whites cook a little bit then scramble them in the pan, I don't like what milk and cream does to the texture.

>> No.4772824

>>4772309

i don't think he realises that mcgee's assertions don't contradict that diagram.

>> No.4772838

>>4767718

in my experience milk makes them more creamy but not as fluffy as water does

>> No.4773010

>>4769853
I've tried it both ways, I prefer salting in the last 5 seconds of cooking. I also use a splash of milk. I whisk my eggs and add the pepper and milk. Throw a bit of butter in the pan let it melt and start to sizzle throw the mixture in and keep stirring. I tried the taking on and off the heat method but just didn't find it worth the time. Plate up just before they're done.

>> No.4773257

>>4772824
I think there's a good likelihood he doesn't know who Harold McGee even is :-)

Or he does know very well and it was just a troll.

>> No.4773279

>>4773257
>>4772309
>implying it's not broscience
>implying a popular cockup darling of foodies with a degree in LITERATURE is touting anything but broscience.
>implying someone who's followers include Blumenthal, Alton Brown and Lynn Rosetto Kaspar should be taken seriously.
>Lynn Rosetto Kaspar
>motherfucking cunt rag Lynn Rosetto Kaspar.
Jesus FUCK, you guys are retards.

>> No.4773719

>>4773279

>touting anything but broscience.

we're all well aware he's not actually a scientist. he still cites actual science in his books and the more you talk about the man the less you address the idea.

>> No.4773739

>>4773279
it's pretentious foodie bullshit, but not broscience.