[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 46 KB, 388x286, 1376176422110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4730088 No.4730088 [Reply] [Original]

After about 4 years as a vegan I'm considering to start eating different kinds of animal products.

I will start slow with minor amounts of cheese and yoghurt - possibly some kind of fish/shellfish, as well as eggs - and then proceed to try out certain kinds of meat.

When it comes to actual meat from mammals/birds I think I will go for game.

What would you suggest that I try?
What kind of healthy animal product should I not miss?

>inb4 bacon

>> No.4730101

Wild boar, venison, quail, turkey.

>> No.4730117

You should stick with lean meat and avoid dairy and fat meats and chicken.

>> No.4730123

>>4730088
What made you want to change?

>> No.4730129

>>4730101
Wild boar is hard for people to cook right and unless you killed it good before it got excited, the meat will taste bitter.

You need to try squirrel. Just remember game meat is much more tangy and stringy than other meat and you'll be fine. I have an affinity for seafood, so raw oysters, fried calamari, of course ceviche, stuffed crab, New England lobster, and whole deep fried shrimp with the heads still on taste real good. Baked clams and crab cakes too.

Some weird shit I like are chicken feet, liver but that's not really weird as neither is heart, escargot is really good, squid jerky, and pork rinds.

Quail eggs are dainty and of course you need to try lubins, and all manners of dim sum to German breaded chicken in mushroom sauce.

I love smoked fish of all different kinds, with crackers and white sauce with some veggies. Scandinavian seafood is great. I really want to try whale.

The world is your oyster OP, have fun, everything will be new to you and you have so much to try.

>> No.4730131

Try to eat/get pastured meat.

Gelatin is a very healthy protein.
Try making a bone broth.

>> No.4730184

>>4730088
>minor amounts of cheese and yoghurt
you probably made yourself lactose intolerant, and you have no one to blame for this but yourself

>> No.4730189

I would also suggest easing into eating meat. I would start with chicken or beef broth, and eggs. and yogurt. If you want to branch out into dairy, start with hard cheese and yogurt. Don't go out and drink milk right away (or eat anything made mostly of milk like ice cream). When you decide you want to try milk, eat/drink it in the morning so your body has all day to break down and absorbe it.

>> No.4730231

venison is really low in fat and high in protein and in my opinion better than beef.

just make sure you get it from people who aren't fucking idiot inbred rednecks.

It's amazing how many hunters don't know how to get clean shots, properly take down a carcass, clean it properly before butchering, time/temperature constraints before freezing, etc.

Also fish, free to catch, easy to cook. I could live off deer and fish.

>> No.4730243

Depending on how long you've been eating plants.. isn't your digestive system fucked now? Lol vegetarians.. literally no point. I don't understand why they can't just eat game animals and fish.

>> No.4730252

Whenever I eat deer meat, I get some extremely dark (almost black) colored shits. Just be prepared for that if you try it.

Turkey is good.

Crab legs and lobster are a must. I prefer them with a small amount of butter, but they're good just by themselves too. Shrimp is delicious as well.

>> No.4730270

>>4730252
>>4730231
>>4730088
Turkey is pretty good
Venison has it's own, completely distinct gamey flavor. I love that shit though.

But....
>2013
>Not suggesting elk, if available
>Not suggesting one of the finest game meats there is
>I Higgidy McDiggity

>> No.4730375

>>4730088
I applaud the chance, since it's very likely it'll improve your overall wellbeing.

>I will start slow with minor amounts of cheese and yoghurt
I would start with eggs (if you can stomach them), then shellfish (presume something without a face might be easier psychologically). Dairy can be one dietary group that's hard for the body to get used to again so I don't think it's a good thing to start with.

Best of luck with it.

>> No.4730391

>>4730231
yeah, those inbred rednecks who hunt their limit (plus some) are a far better source for deer meat than the guy who just hunts once a year on a managed property.

Also,
> implying most Hunters even dress their own game these days instead of taking it to a processor