[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 48 KB, 537x746, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4692673 No.4692673[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Never tip anything.

they literally have the easiest job at a restaurant, yet they earn way more than some dudes who actually work in the back.

be it prep, busboys, cleaners, or some shitty places even cooks.

worked at a place where service staff made like 10 times in tips what i made as an actual cook, all they did was chat around, smile, serve the food while we had to do inventory, clean, prep, actually cook and deal with fucking customer complains.
>"Theyre saying they didnt like it."
>"what didnt they like about it"
>"i dont know, they didnt say."
>"what do you want me to do about it then?"
>"i dont know."

an actual conversation i had with a chick server once.

>> No.4692684

the tip experiment in the US is going off the deep end, what used to be a way to show you appreciate a person has become an entitlement so badly that they think 15% is the new 0%

its sad. not easy to fix though

>> No.4692690
File: 53 KB, 300x327, lahey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here comes the shit storm.

>> No.4692710

>anecdotal evidence

>> No.4692719

>>4692684

Maybe because the base wage is frozen with the expectation they'll make at least 15%?

Don't like tipping? Change the minimum wage. Otherwise you're just a fucktard getting everyone else who is actually socially functioning to pay your share of the wage cost, and you deserve the societal disapproval.

Of course we all know everyone on /ck/ is too much a basement dweller to ever make eye contact with a server, much less short them out of principle.

>> No.4692725

Words can not describe just how irate, incensed, and buttflustered Tip Shamers make me.

Instead of bitching that you weren't tipped and ruining a person's reputation online (what a fucking pussy, not even saying it to their face), try taking your head out of your self-righteous ass and seeing if there was a reason WHY you weren't tipped.
Also
>OP's pic
>They got a tip
what the fuck are they even complaining about? They should be glad they got anything at all!

>> No.4692731

>>4692725
>what the fuck are they even complaining about? They should be glad they got anything at all!

>math is hard!

Look again, tardo

>> No.4692732

>yet another tipping thread

goddammit /ck/ I'm out.

>> No.4692733

>>4692732

and nothing of value was lost . . .

>> No.4692734

>>4692731
$7.94 tip is more than 0, unless I'm reading that receipt wrong.

>> No.4692744

>>4692710
cleaners, busboys, and cooks work harder than waiters, true or false?

>> No.4692745

>wah he didn't tip 20% and I only made well above minimum wage in a table that probably took less than an hour to clear while I simultaneously waited other tables

What the fuck? How entitled can you get, you already make $2 an hour and you're not entitled to several dollars more than minimum wage an hour for doing fuck all.

>> No.4692751

>>4692719
>everyone on /ck/ is too much a basement dweller to ever make eye contact with a server

If you know you are right, you don't need to give a shit. I only pay for the food, the service charge and tax is already included in the price.

Also generalizing everyone is an asshat move.

Fuck off

>> No.4692752

>>4692719
If they want a tip they need to a perform service worth tipping. The law says the employer needs to pay them minimum wage if tips don't cover it

>> No.4692755

>>4692719
I pay more than 15% usually, my point was if I pay 18% that servers see it as 3%. They see 11% as -4%. Yes, they are expected to average 15% tip, but they should not get it every single time. What happens when someone tips them 25%? Have they not made up for the 5% tip they got earlier?

The other "socially functioning" people have no idea that the server they have only got 5% all day. They are going to judge their tip size on their service, as they should.

15% is an average of a years worth of tips. Provide good service, get good tips. Expecting 15% from every single patron is ludicrous. It means any tip above 15% is actually putting you above your 15% average on the assumption that no one gives you less.

>> No.4692762 [DELETED] 

>>4692755
How about getting a decent degree and a better job so they don't have to bitch about the lack of tips.

If you have self-esteem and a functioning ego, you won't let yourself be degraded by

1. waiting tables for shitheads
2. begging for tips

minimum wage was meant for a reason, it is what they deserve for the measely work that they do. expecting something for nothing is arrogance and absurd behavior. in my country restaurants by default deduct 10-15% service in the bill and strictly advise customers not to tip.

This prevents agitation for both customer and server.

>> No.4692767

Tipping has nothing to do with food or cooking.

>> No.4692774

>>4692752

A) That law is not enforced
B) If you don't want to tip, don't go to service restaurants. If you don't think the service is worth it, why are you using it?

>> No.4692778

>>4692767

lol, what?

>> No.4692828

Every time I see that goddamn tip shaming site, or see servers complaining about tips, it just makes me not want to tip anyone ever.

Of course, when I do go out to eat next, I'm too much of a beta to not put at least 15%.

>> No.4692846

>>4692745

>$2?

Where do you live? That is some messed up pay, even if they up it to minimum when not enough tips.
Here in Toronto (Canada overall I also assume), we get minimum wage plus tips ontop? I have never heard anyone complain about it, because they're getting money+free tip money. Thats why I never go into these threads, but wow, that is a low ass wage.

>> No.4692850

>>4692774
>service restaurants
In Europe we go to restaurants to eat. No conversation, smiles or other complimentary shit needed. Waiters should get higher wages and smaller tips.

>> No.4692861

i worked at a popular gourmet italian place - packed every single lunch and dinner. after service, the waiters would sit at the bar and calculate all of their tips. $500 for the night was considered average. if they got less than 300 they would bitch and complain about stingy eaters. i remember one of them even suggested that they should impose a minimum order of $75 per person because anyone that couldn't afford spending that much wouldn't be tipping well enough

>> No.4692886
File: 1.81 MB, 200x267, 701.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>work in a breakfast restaurant
>front and back staff share tips equally
>everyone is friendly and respects each other
why don't more places do this, it just makes sense,
i live where i work because of it

>> No.4692889

>>4692886
love*

>> No.4692899

Oh look, another pot-stirrer. (literally.)
Stop your pissing and moaning, you crybaby. I worked in the industry for years, in the kitchen, head chef, pastry chef, front of house manager, server, dishwasher, you name it. I've done pretty much everything, from cleaning bathrooms to sommelier. If it's a halfway decent restaurant, with properly trained staff, servers absolutely do deserve their tips. And no, you are not the ones who deal with customer complaints, you're the one who fucking fixes it because you didn't get it right the first time, you pissy little whelp. Servers are the ones who actually deal with the customers and you should thank your lucky stars for that, because you wouldn't want to. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth; I'd rather work in the kitchen than front of house any day.

>> No.4692906

OP sounds like some bitter salad guy who nobody likes.

Server here, can confirm that tipshamers are whiney bitches. Everyone gets stiffed every once in a while. If it happens frequently you're either A) Working in a shitty restaurant that attracts shitty clientele or B) You're a shit server.

There are some, like ghetto black people or rednecks, who leave very little or nothing because they're either selfish or don't know any better. It happens. Then there's self-rightetous or bitter neckbeards like OP who don't tip on principle. I've never heard of anyone with the balls to flat-out tell a server that they aren't going to tip because they don't believe in it. Basically this:

>>4692719
>Of course we all know everyone on /ck/ is too much a basement dweller to ever make eye contact with a server, much less short them out of principle.

>> No.4692915

>>4692899
yeah they deal with it verbally while standing comfortable while in the back people cook their fucking re-orders, you autist

it's like saying someone at a call center has it bad to have to call in someone to drive over and fix a guy's cable box, and get tipped for it at that

>> No.4692962
File: 990 KB, 289x217, dealwithit.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The truth, right here.

You know why waiting tables and bartending is a higher paying job that working in a kitchen? Because working in a kitchen is a job for non-speak immigrants, ex-cons, drug addicts, alcoholics, and various other miscreants who can't maintain their demeanor in a professional setting. It's on the same tier as working construction and pouring concrete. If you can properly present yourself, maintain small conversation like a normal human being, and aren't a complete fuck-up then why are you back there? You enjoy cooking? Do you still enjoy cooking for yourself and family when you get home after breaking your back over a fiery stove for 12 hours?

Not even a waiter here but I'm tired of you "chefs" bitching about something that you supposedly enjoy so much. You knew the pay and the hours when you took the job so shut the fuck up. If you don't like your situation then improve it. If you're that jealous of wait staff then become a waiter. Or better yet get a real job.

>> No.4692970

>>4692962
That's exactly how I feel about waiters who complain about their job.

>> No.4692972

Why don't they just charge more money for the food and pay the staff correctly

>> No.4692973
File: 14 KB, 303x225, 1372357672303.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4692899

>> No.4692975

>>4692774

And somehow its the costumers fault that the law isnt enforced? Its somehow our job to cover your ass when your boss will hang you out to dry.

>> No.4692979

>>4692970
I'd agree, waiting tables is a pretty shitty job as well. I don't hear them complain as much though.

>> No.4692980

>>4692962
none of that is related to tipping, the waiters aren't paid more per hour, they make their living off of tips, none of what you said is remotely relevant since there's no justifiable reason why at the least the tips shouldn't be shared with the entire staff, nobody is going to restaurants to talk to waiters, they're going for the food

>> No.4692981

>>4692973
rip in peace, scooby.

>> No.4692987

>>4692979
you dont hear them complain as much cause they're too busy tallying up the tip jar

>> No.4692992

>>4692962

>You knew the pay and the hours when you took the job so shut the fuck up

Isnt it the exact same thing for waiters?

>> No.4693002

>>4692980
Not necessarily true. There's always the loners who frequent places specifically for the opportunity to interact with other people, including the waitstaff. Saw it many times back in my serving days.

>> No.4693008

>>4692980
I guess a point I was trying to make is that if they were paid min wage, or even a dollar or two more than minimum wage then you could expect the same calibur of people waiting tables as you could find in any common kitchen. Think of the last time you had really good service in a restaurant. I'd imagine it was probably a nice college student working for a few extra bucks in the evenings. They wait tables because it pays well and people like that are good for it, it's a job for nice friendly attractive people.

Now, lets take away the tips and start giving that college kid $8 an hour. There goes the wait staff, they all quit. Now they've gotta hire anybody who's willing to do it. Next time you eat there you're waiter is Jaciel, straight out of prison, covered in gang tattoo's, half drunk, high on blow and not giving a fuck. He's an ass, never fills your drinks and takes fucking forever. You're waiters at your nice restaurants would turn into the goons you'll find working at walmart and taco bell.

>> No.4693010

>>4693002

>using an example that occurs less than 0.1% as fact

Yeah there matie

>> No.4693011

My girlfriend is a waitress, and she pissed me the fuck off when she gets off work all angry because she "didn't make enough". I ask her how much she did in tips (let alone her $3 /hr or whatever), and it is usually between $10-$20/hr. I tell her she is being fucking dumb, there are many nights she makes $20/hr, in cash, tax free, and she still isn't happy with it. If I was able to make over $100 in 6 hours, I'd be happy as fuck. Instead I grind away to have my cash taken by the government. She pisses me off with how entitled she feels.

>> No.4693030

>>4693011
It's not tax free, you twat. Unless your girlfriend is a tax-dodger who doesn't report her wages. In which case, your both idiots.

>> No.4693043

>>4693030

>Your both idiots.
>Your

Oh the irony

>> No.4693051
File: 7 KB, 250x250, 250px-Autism_Speaks_Logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4693043
For you.

>> No.4693053

>>4692987
I lold'ed

>> No.4693058

>>4693051
YEAH! FUCK correct spelling and grammar! That shit is for NERDS AND AUTISTS, ha ha bro! Oops, gotta get back to my nascar telly show.

>> No.4693061

>>4693008
Tipping shouldn't be mandatory you stupid fuck and no that isn't the case at all. How many other countries waiters do not rely on jobs and have regular people working them?
>inb4 it isn't
Yes it is if you want repeat decent service and not getting spit in your food

>> No.4693067

>>4693051

If the picture is telling me that autism speaks and its time to listen, doesnt that make you the autist?

>> No.4693070

>>4692774
That law isn't enforced because servers would have to declare their tips as part of their income on their taxes. Oh hey, look, STILL not my problem.

>> No.4693077

>>4693058

>buttmad intensifies

I think it's hilarious to see people grasping for straws.

>> No.4693085
File: 80 KB, 415x594, Carl+Edwards+AMP+Energy+Juice+500+eDTxkOPyvzsl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4693058
fuckin-A man, whatyou drinkin tonight? got me my own minikeg for this fuckin race. and fuck those autism warcraft world motherfuckers. don't take no shit or prisoners, hoss.

>> No.4693087

>>4693043
That simply a sad, petty little way to try and disregard a post, when you have nothing more intelligent to say. Stay anal-pained.

>> No.4693107

ausfag here
>tfw my sister studied in L.A and was making $3k a week in tips as a waitress at an upscale sushi restaurant.

>> No.4693123

>>4692992
I think that's the point he was trying to make.

>> No.4693125

>>4693107

Was that your sister's first job as a waitress? How much did she tip out of that 3K? How long did she hold the job?

A large part of the seemingly high wages for high end servers is opportunity cost.

>> No.4693133

>>4693125
Pardon my stupidity, but how does opportunity cost factor into her wages?

>> No.4693146

>>4693133

High-end restaurants usually hire people with many years experience. That's time they didn't spend in engineering school, for example. A server's prime earning years come early, but they don't last long. The hot waitress pocketing 100K a year at a NYC hotspot isn't hot 10 years later, and isn't making 100K. Meanwhile the engineer is making 100K a year for 25+ years. Make sense?

>> No.4693153

>>4693146
Yes, that makes sense. His post, however, mentioned his sister was studying at the same time.

>> No.4693161

>>4693153

Which is why I'd say bullshit, unless he's just posting one good week she had. Most servers get one or two good nights a week, and those get parceled out almost always due to seniority. Unless you're fucking the owner you don't go into some super-expensive restaurant without experience and get Thurs-Saturday shifts to make that kind of money.

>> No.4693169

>>4693125
>Was that your sister's first job as a waitress
no, she had previously worked for my family's catering business.
> How much did she tip out of that 3K?
idk, probably the customary 10%.
> How long did she hold the job?
for the 4 years she was there.

From what she told me, she just used her australian accent and physical qualities to manipulate the fuck out of the customers.

>> No.4693175

>>4692744
That's not an easy question to answer. You've already seemed to make up your mind about being a total judgemental asshole though, so why bother.

>> No.4693176

>>4692778
It's a worthless topic with no productive outcome and it has no place on a food and cooking board.

>> No.4693177

>>4693161
I should also mention that my grandfather and uncles live in L.A, are all involved in the food industry, and most likely knew the owner of the restaurant.

>> No.4693178

>>4693169

Ah gotcha. No offense to your sister then, but her business is really more comparable to a stripper than a waitress.

>> No.4693180
File: 2.09 MB, 360x240, picard facepalm.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4692751
>yells at a guy for making a generalization in a thread where the entire topic is based off a generalization.

>> No.4693187

>Found a nice bar and grill restaurant
>The food and such is pretty good
>Never bothered tipping since the bill has tax and service charge
>Been going there once a week
>On the 4th week the same waitress game me shit service well below the default standard
>At the end of the meal I asked her what her problem is
>She openly said that people who don't tip don't get good service and is last on the priority list
>Oh hell no she did not just say that to me
>Ask another waiter to send the manager over, I have an issue
>Manager comes over and I explain the situation as well as what the waitress said
>The waitress act like she doesn't know what the fuck is going on and calls me a liar
>A couple in the booth next to me speak up, the woman saying that she heard everything and what I was saying is true.
>Waitress looks like a deer caught in headlights
>Try to remain calm and tell the manager that I actually like the food and atmosphere the place had but I won't be returning because I don't take kindly to being extorted by the wait staff when I am paying both tax and service charge on meals
>As I was heading to the door I heard the manager yell "That's the last complaint I get about you, get your things, you're fired!"
>Suddenly feel really good about myself.

If you have to pay service charge don't ever tip.

>> No.4693192

>>4692962
Perfectly said anon, but look what happens:
>>4692980
>>4692992
No matter how hard you try, people cant wrap their heads around the "if you don't like it, do something else and quit bitching" concept. They'd rather sit around complaining about the darkness in the room than change a broken lightbulb.

This whole "not my problem the system is fucked" ideology that most people have in this thread isn't technically wrong, but why are you trying to ruin someone's day over a lousy extra $1.24 anyway? Just quit being an asshole

>> No.4693194

I've known numerous people who have worked as servers. They all say the only people who consistently leave decent tips are non-poor whites. They say blacks, students and Indians are the worst. Is this a good generalization? I know people have posted bait of celebrities leaving nothing before. Personally, I've never met someone who flatout will not tip. Even the most stingy Asians I know tip something.

>> No.4693202

Fucking America, I'm so glad the entitled tipping culture hasn't spread to the rest of the developed world.

Tipping is a gratuity, showing gratitude for excellent services provided. It is not a required addition to my bill or your pocket. If I feel like you've done a good job, you'll get a tip (usually 10%), but if its standard or sub par, you don't deserve it.

>> No.4693227

>>4693194

I don't always have that much money, but when I'm in a restaurant I try and tip whatever I can, usually 10-15, unless the service was amazing.

But I am a black student. A good number of my friends don't even bother tipping.

>> No.4693229

>>4693202

It seems like the solution is to have restaurant owners change the way it is. Servers can't and customers can't.

If the owner pays all the servers min wage or more, and maybe puts up a sign that says tips are not required, the cost is factored into the cost of the meal... They don't put a tip line on the receipt though if the service is exceptional a customer is welcome to leave some cash. It is truly optional.

If restaurant owners start doing this they will slowly change the way it works. But that's literally the only way, unless the government outlaws this 'less than min wage but tips make it up' shit.

Honestly the worst is when you see a service or delivery charge that DOES NOT go to the waiter or driver. That should be the mandatory 'tip' that they get no matter what, then anything else is a bonus. $8 for a pizza and I end up paying like 12 before tip... ridiculous.

>> No.4693232

>>4692690
goddamn Trailer Park Boys is a good show

>> No.4693241

>>4692846
Resturants in the US can pay less than minimum wage if it is expected that the workers will make up the difference in tips.

An added problem is though this depends on the servers actually reporting the tips as income on their taxes, which most don't. Leading them to receive other federal and state aid as well.

>> No.4693248

what's even more hilarious are how snotty waitresses get when they work at places that ask them to split the tip with the bust boys.

>> No.4693256
File: 31 KB, 600x450, 1352231836638.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Jesus fucking christ. Stop with these dipshit tip threads. This has nothing to do with cooking or eating for that fucking matter.

>> No.4693264

>>4693248
>bust boys
they deserve money to buy bras too!

>> No.4693277

>>4692673
op doesnt know they share tips...
also, OP has never been to a real restaurant where the waiter or waitress is actually required to know the uniquely specific dishes as well as the dishes of the day

>> No.4693279

>>4692752
You stupid idiot you're literally stealing people's wages. You have the right to drop to the ground like a doll and proceed to get your ass pounded in, because that's what will happen to you some day you worthless faggot

>> No.4693282

>>4693202

You're not American, your servers don't live on tips like ours do, so shut the fuck up, you have no idea what you're talking about, fucktard.

>> No.4693285

>>4693175
true or fucking false, cunt
the man asked a FUCKING question

>> No.4693287

>>4693194

This is sadly true - most black people are shitty tippers in my experience.

>> No.4693290

>>4693282
>>4693279
Servers dont rely on tips, they just dont declare them as income so cant demand that their employer makes up the difference when they don't get enough.

Its all about servers being greedy, unskilled fucks

>> No.4693292

>>4693192 They'd rather sit around complaining about the darkness in the room than change a broken lightbulb.
No, "do something else and quit bitching" is more like leaving the room and going outside. Which basically might be the complete opposite of what you were trying to do by being in the room in the first place.

>> No.4693294

>>4693290
>Servers dont rely on tips

Yeah, in the US they do. Their wage doesn't even cover taxes.

>> No.4693300

>>4693202

Hey look everyone, it's the Eurofag version of the redneck who goes to Italy and bitches they don't have Domino's there!

>> No.4693302
File: 45 KB, 250x250, pizza-delivery-boy2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4693229
Yea, that delivery or service fee that doesn't actually go to the driver or server is pretty bunk. I used to do deliveries and there was a $3 delivery fee for the store no matter how big the order was. Didn't really effect the big orders but if my delivery was less than $30 or so I usually didn't get any tip. They did pay me $8 an hour though, that's how they justified keeping the fee. But still, if I didn't get at least a dollar or two to cover gas and car costs then I felt like I was paying out of pocket to drive the food to them. I'm sort of biased now against tipping drivers vs waiters. A driver is actually using their own gas, car, and it's really a relatively unsafe job.

So you non-tippers, how do you feel about tipping a delivery driver? They aren't waiters, they've gotta buy gas, insurance, etc and most get paid under min wage. Drivers get in wrecks and get robbed.

>> No.4693312

>>4693292
I don't think you understood my analogy. The only way to fix this problem, in reality, is if all the people complaining go out and get new jobs. These jobs are still in high demand despite all the complaints made by those who currently have them, and if someone quits they are instantly replaced by someone else. By continuing to work in a broken system, you never changed the supply/demand ratio of the labor in this field. If enough people stop doing a job they find undesirable, then the nature of that job will change naturally due to the demand for people to be in that position.

I realize that this solution only works conceptually considering the high level of unemployment in the US at the current moment, but it clearly translates over to the light bulb analogy if you look at it that way.

>> No.4693314

>>4693302
As a delivery driver, I have a deep, intimate relationship with the cooks.

Mostly. The cooks tend to be really awesome people, and whenever I close, if I made good tips, I like to split it with them. I know none of the other drivers really do that, but it makes the closers like me more, cause I'm a chump, but also makes them happy to work, when I work. So more stuff gets done, and the managers are happier.

Mostly it ends with me getting dem hours.

>> No.4693324

>>4692673

I don't know what shit hole greasy spoon cafe you work at OP, but I've waitressed for 5 years in the past.

Customers don't want to tell you the exact problems. They just want to tell you it's shit so that they get a new one, usually after having eaten half of the previous one before deciding they didn't like it.
Have you ever tried asking an irate old woman what the specific problem was once? I did. Once.
Sometimes they're forthcoming, like when it's too rare, too cold, but sometimes they actually just order something they don't like so much that they can't eat it, and send it back. Any halfway decent restaurant takes it back and replaces it - it ensures great service, and although some money may be lost usually that customer tips generously and recommends us to others.

I didn't work for tips either - in the UK, nobody tips. That was fine, we get minimum wage so it's all good. There is a lot more to waitressing than you think at any decent restaurant. I was Maitre d' for two years during college, and I would like to see you tell me all I did was chat around and didn't deserve any small tips I recieved, which was basically none. (I got a fiver once...)

You don't like the pay, or the work? Fucking leave.

>> No.4693345

>>4693314
You're pretty cool. I wish I'd have shared my tips more, I was a little greedy though. If I did a big catering thing and got like a $150 tip I'd throw everyone like ten bucks, but still kept the lions share. They were still thankful, the other drivers didn't share. I always felt a little guilt keeping all that money, so I tried to do as much of the work as I could. I'd come in early and try to put together and organize everything so that the crew had to do as little as possible, if I'm gonna get the money then I want to earn the money. Kitchen liked me alot, the other drivers would just come in, drop off and set up the food and pocket that $100 tip.

>> No.4693364

>>4692673
>yet they earn way more than some dudes
>some dudes

Try EVERY DUDE. Every server makes more in a year than even the Chef!

>> No.4693367

>>4693302
I tip $3 plus the change, regardless of the total or where im ordering from, its just become custom in my house. Ive been told this is surprisingly a large tip by a driver friend

>> No.4693375

>>4693364
Now, that's just a plain old lie. I've worked in my fair share of restaurants (both back and front of house), and no one made more than the chef, except the manager or owner.

>> No.4693389

>>4693324
>usually that customer tips generously and recommends us to others.

YEAH, TIPS YOU, STUPID. YOU! NOT THE COOKS WHO MADE IT AGAIN.

>> No.4693402

a fancyish place where the wait staff has to know their shit, I'll generally tip well if the service was on par.

A typical, nearly fast-food'ish place? nah. Went with some bros to dennys, waitress didn't do anything at all except walk 10 feet to the window and back. After the meal I asked to talk to the cook I gave him $10 and the waitress $2 on a $32 bill.

>> No.4693409

>>4693294
>implying taxes are a flat fee

>> No.4693413

These threads have made me stop tipping completely.

Servers dug their own grave.

>> No.4693418

>>4693389

All tips go in a jar, at least at all the places I've worked at. When I was a dishwasher briefly, I still saw the tips.

>> No.4693420

Australian here so I'm curious about some stuff

How much do these cunts want?

Do they get all of the tip or what?

>> No.4693421

>>4693389

So you're complaining about doing what you're being paid to do, which is cook whatever needs cooked? Is that what's going on?

That's like me complaining about having to carry the old plate back and the new one out again.

>> No.4693426 [DELETED] 

**** YOU HAVE BEEN VISITED BY THE HANK HILL OF DOOM! **** post this in 3 threads or you will die tomorrow...

………………_„-,-~''~''':::'':::':::::''::::''~
………._,-'':::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::''-„
………..,-'::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
………,-'::::::::::::„:„„-~-~--'~-'~--~-~--~-
……..,'::::::::::,~'': : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : '-|
……..|::::::::,-': : : : : : : : - -~''''¯¯''-„: : : : :\
……..|::::::::|: : : : : : : : : _„„--~'''''~-„: : : : '|
……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |: :(_ o__): : |: : : :|:(_o__): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : :\
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: : :|
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
…………..|: :''-,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :|
…………..',: : :''-, : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: ,'
……………| : : : : : : : : :_ : : : : : : : : : : ,-'
……………|: : : : : : : : : : '''~----------~''
…………._|: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :|
……….„-''. '-,_: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ,'
……,-''. . . . . '''~-„_: : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'''-„
█▀█░█▀█░█▀█░█▀█░█▀█░█▄░█░█▀▀░░
█▀▀░█▀▄░█░█░█▀▀░█▀█░█▀██░█▀░░░

>> No.4693427

I'd rather have all the tips go to the chefs and dishwashers rather than the waiters. Why the fuck do they deserve that much extra money for doing something part of their job description than everyone else in the restaurant? What the hell are they doing outside of the job description? You should be wanting to do a better job and hoping the customers are happy so that you get business and not lose your job because there is no business. Is that so hard?

>> No.4693431

>>4693279
>Not giving people altruism bucks is literally stealing their money

>> No.4693436

>>4693421
But why would you complain when they tip you for it?

>> No.4693442

>don't tip
>write tipshaming.tumblr.com on receipt as well as a unique, identifiable sigil
>wait for your receipt to show up on the internet
>call restaurant and demand waiter gets fired

>> No.4693493

>>4693194

Yes this is completely correct. White people actually understand tipping customs and will tip you according to the quality of service provided, from 10 to 25% (autistic neckbeards in this thread excluded, apparently).

Indians are the absolute worst, many will leave 0% tip for good service and never once in a year at an Indian restaurant have I gotten a single tip above 12% from any Indian. I stopped trying, whenever I get a dothead I automatically and intentionally drop their order to the bottom of my list of priorities. Sometimes I'll eat off their plate too, but seeing as most shithead curry-munchers are repeat customers, I just spit in their food.

Black people almost never get delivery or eat at restaurants with waiters, and students can vary. In general terms they're bad tippers, but it's not like goddamn elephant-worshippers where it's damn near fucking 100% guaranteed they will tip like shit.

>> No.4693495

>>4693442

that tumblr got taken down

LEL

>> No.4693498

>>4692673

It's not easier. They have to deal with the patrons.

>> No.4693499

>>4692752

>The law says the employer needs to pay them minimum wage if tips don't cover it

Law says you're not supposed to discriminate against ex-cons or people of a certain age when hiring either, how well is that enforced?

I have never in my life working at 6 different restaurants have I ever seen a single one pay employees up to minimum wage to cover a wage gap.

>> No.4693522

>>4692828
Too bad the guy took it off his tumblr because he posted on /b/ and everryone found out his real name and the restaurant he worked at.

>> No.4693523
File: 90 KB, 971x656, tipshaming.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4693495
oh shit
i still have it up on my computer

>> No.4693540

>>4693077
How was he grasping for straws? You're the one doing it by just using a stupid meme instead of justifying your response. Also how does calling out on your stupidity make him an autist? Stop using words you don't know the meaning of.

>> No.4693545

>>4692719
these greedy fucks can live without tips if everyone else working for min at the restaurant without tips can, I certainly have for years. theyre shit stains, all of them.

>> No.4693547

How is it that posting food pictures gets you banned, but spamming tipping and veganism threads is tolerated?

>> No.4693550

>>4693545
maybe you're just not as valuable a person.

>> No.4693553

>>4693008
hoo boy, guess you better never eat anywhere out of america then you shit eating fuck. because no one else but the shitiest entitled nations practices tiping anymore.

>> No.4693561

>>4693427
Why even tip the chefs and dishwashers if it's part of their job description as well? Fucking moron.

>> No.4693571
File: 105 KB, 359x360, alicenotgivingafuck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4693550
Let me ask you something. who would you find more valuable? the guy who will spit in your food as he brings it to the table if you dont give him 20 bucks or more and will give you shitty service, or the guy who will keep the same person from giving you dirty silverware, washes hands frequently, and brings burning hot plates out in huge stacks without breaking them inbetween cleaning and prepping food and will give you the same great service day in and day out no matter if you do or don't slip him a few bucks?

>> No.4693575

>>4693561
He's not saying chefs inherently deserve a tip, just that they do more than servers, who already get a tip. Hence, if a tip must exist, a cook deserves it more than a server.It doesn't make sense that a server's pay is variable when a cook's pay is static, when the cook has a more important part in the preparation and presentation of the meal, the reason you came to the restaurant.

>> No.4693597
File: 7 KB, 229x220, Erin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4693523

It's gone. The website, it's gone.

WFW

>> No.4693601

>>4693597
#rekt
#2rekt2live
#rektacular
#rektalpain

>> No.4693606

>>4693597
they seriously got rekt hard, got fired and everything

fucking awesome

>> No.4693612

>>4693606

Did that seriously happen? Sauce?

>> No.4693613

>>4693612
Not surea bout sauce but this guy is correct
>>4693522
His name was Bryan M from Blossom cafe in NYC. Fucking idiot forgot to blank out his name.

>> No.4693618
File: 71 KB, 1921x757, 1375720229943.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4693630

>>4693302
I tip drivers for pizza (the only thing that's really delivered around here) $3-5 dollars, which is typically the change left over after I pay for the pizza.

At restaurants however, I normally tip a minimum of $2.00 unless the service was bad, 10% of the bill if it's over $2, and I'll up it to 20% if it was excellent service/I made really special requests.

Bars are a dollar a mixed drink, or $0.50 a beer.

>> No.4693652

>>4692744
I've been a server, a cleaner and a busboy.

Being a busboy was the easiest fucking thing in the world, never had to talk to customers, just cleaned up and prepped stuff.

Cleaner, also piss easy

Being a server could get pretty complicated, and it's stressful in the fact that customers are dick heads and feel like making your life miserable.

I never really expected tips, but some people thought they could get one up on me by leaving mean things on the receipt, all that tells me is that if you come here again I will make sure you get service so bad you never come back. If you don't want to tip, don't...I don't give a shit.

Now where I wait tables, I often find myself with free time in between rushes so I help with prepping with the cooks in the back, I'm apparently one of the few that can chop onions without tearing like a mother fucker, but I hear plenty of BoH stories, but for the most part they enjoy their job and are fucking happy that they never have to deal with customers directly.

I've had some tell me that there was no money in the world that would make them wait tables, but I do let them know when there is attractive women in the store.

>> No.4693653

>>4693302
I always tip my delivery guy for my friday night chinese food. They're always nice to me and my food comes in hot. Even if my tip isn't big, they still give stellar service. I do it because they're my go-to guys.

>> No.4693654

>>4693618
>>4693618
>>4693618
hahahah

>> No.4693655

I had a class last semester with this big fat ugly bitch of a girl who would always complain about tips. She worked at Red Lobster and bitched nonstop. Her facebook is 90% tipshaming, and 10% "LOL some people came in today and asked for a sundae and I told them we were out of ice cream because I didn't want to make it LOL"

One time on her rant, I said "I work nights after school, 6pm-6am every night, and only make $7.25 an hour. My friend, who is a waitress, brings home as much as I make in a week in a night. Sometimes people can't, or won't tip, I don't see the problem. I've had days where I can buy food at a restaurant without a tip, or just not eat before."

And she got all upset and said "Well, I wouldn't be working if I only got shitty min wage like you do."

>> No.4693664

This is the dumbest thread ever. I can afford a 100% tip, I've even tipped more than that, great service deserves a reward, but I will NOT tip shit service. You are the moron that took the job that your tip is dependent upon your service, so serve me well. I worked in the industry in high school and college. If I sucked at service, I knew how to talk into a good tip, if I didn't get it, my fault.

>> No.4693670

>>4692673
Most people hate and dread dealing directly with other people. Truth is you'll see people at their worst when they wanna eat: hungry, lonely, stressed, angry or all of the above.

Lets see you deal with JAPs, and others that make you feel worthless day in and day out. Directly, in your face patronizing interaction. Wears you out mang.
Cant let it get to you, but eventually it does. Some crack. Some put a front. To some its just a job and they are a character in a play.
I wont say that its easier than cooking, but it takes a different set of chops to work the floor. Very emotionally draining.

>> No.4693673

>>4693655
bitches and waiters, man

they think they're entitled to a fucking tip no matter what

>> No.4693678

>>4693673
I did an experiment once while serving.

I spent a week being a bitch, not giving a shit about service.

Then spent a week trying my best to give the best service, smiled, and all that shit.

Guess which week I made more money?

Surprise it was when I never smiled and didn't give extra service. Figure that one out.

>> No.4693699

>>4693678
Sometimes trying too hard is just as bad as not trying at all.

I like my waitresses in that 'sweet spot', where they're not ignoring me, but they're still not up my ass with a fresh pot and a perky voice every time I take a sip of coffee.

Ironically, its the waitresses who look like they've been through hell and on their feet all day who give me the best service.

>> No.4693703

>>4693678
I figured it out. you are not naturally a nice person and you came off as creepy, wooden, passive aggressive, or all of the above.

most people would rather desk with an honest asshole than someone who, as you no doubt would say , "doesn't do nice"

>> No.4693708

>>4693703
Try to explain that to your boss who tries to make you smile because CUSTOMERS LOVE SMILES.

I am Russian, we don't do smiles.

>> No.4693713

>>4693708
That's funny, when I worked at Best Buy, all our drivers were russian, and they smiled and laughed all the time. It was normally when the truck was a shitting mess, but they were still smiling.

>> No.4693714

>>4693708
no smile in russia
show teeth and cold will crack

but really though
I'm trying to learn russian and it is hard as fuck
why is it so hard?

>> No.4693715

>>4693703
haha sounds like my sister

She's naturally a cold looking bitch who you'd expect to snap your head off if you coughed in her general area, but as soon as she tries to be all.. 'sweet' and 'girly', she just comes off as sarcastic and creepy as fuck.

..but as long as she's acting like her usual 'Fuck off. I'd rather be at home watching Little House." self, her customers love her to pieces.

>> No.4693718

>>4692673
waiters deserve the tips because around here (minnesota) they get paid about a 1/4 of the minimum wage so they make up for the loss in tips

>> No.4693723

>>4693597
If you really wanted to read it a cached version is still available on Google, but it's glorious how they had to take it down. Hope the stupid cunts got fired.

>> No.4693746

>>4693718

you do understand why this is retarded right?

>> No.4693749

>>4693714

Its based in another alphabet.
The numeric system is fucked.
No absolute standards for English translation.

>> No.4693752

>this guy is a repeat offender

What, didn't he tip?

>> No.4693762

how did your tipping system get this fucked up america? shouldn't you be tipping for exceptional service?

>> No.4693775

>>4693762
murrrika is retarded and stuck in its ways

>> No.4693787

>>4693762
back in the day america wasn't looked at as the world leader, and when people traveled abroad they brought back the custom of tipping from europe to show how super cool real noble they where, and how they where a real country too. the rest of the world stopped tipping, america didn't.

>> No.4693794

>>4693714
accents can make it hard, some people naturally have a good accent when speaking it making it easier to understand foreign speakers, others it is like trying to listen to your drunk uncle with potatoes in his mouth.

Conjugation can be a bitch if you come from a language that doesn't use them like English. I knew some people that found learning Polish easier because they use your alphabet

>> No.4693891
File: 157 KB, 629x449, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh boy, so now a couple of neckbears from 4chan won't tip me.

Don't care, not like you guys leave your house ever anyway.

Ill keep raking in 15/hr for carrying plates to tables.

>mad

>> No.4693950

I cook at a pretty swanky country club. (median income is in the top ten in the US). I got there by bustin my ass in dives, bbq joints, breakfast cafes , and even chuck e cheese's for years. I would never wait tables. Why? Because I work with the same ~20 assholes everyday. In the fron of the house, you don't know what assholes are coming through that fucking door. Servers deserve every dime they get.

>> No.4694078

>>4693178
lol no.
sexuality is used in pretty much all industries.

>> No.4694114

>>4692673
i don't get it, that seems like a reasonable tip to me.

>> No.4694134

>not splitting your tips with the cooks/busboys

Terrible people.

>> No.4694140

It must be nice to live in Americana where I am entitled to extra money that I earned on top of my salary for just doing my job.

Do Amerikan also tip the window cleaner? or the maid?

>> No.4694141

>>4694140
You tip the maid depending on how good the BJ was. For the window cleaner it's added into their holiday bonus.

>> No.4694150

>>4694140
it was customary to tip your mailman, paper boy, garbage collectors, and other service people. Most of them just once a year, usually around xmas. Has fallen out of tradition mostly however.

>> No.4694153

>>4692673
>worked at a place where service staff made like 10 times in tips what i made as an actual cook

So like you were making say $10 an hour, and waitstaff were making $100 an hour? That does seem like an extreme imbalance. On the other hand, it's a strong indication that the waitstaff possesses some relatively uncommon skill (even if it's just looking good and sucking up), while you and the dishwashers and bussers don't. The best paying waitstaff jobs are extremely competitive.

>> No.4694154

>>4694140
Sometimes.

But it doesn't make that huge of a difference in their lives these days and can come off as demeaning, so I often offer them a drink, or just compliment them personally or their work depending on situation to make them feel a little better about life.

>> No.4694164

>>4694140
>Do Amerikan also tip the window cleaner? or the maid?
A maid or housekeeper that you employ year-round, you customarily give an annual bonus/tip to around Christmas/New Years. (Maybe one week's pay). Housekeeping staff that cleans your hotel room, you customarily tip a dollar or two per day you stayed there, at the end of your stay, or more depending on the price range of the hotel. (You also tip as you go at hotels for all sorts of services, such as bringing things to your room.)

Note that restaurant waitstaff are among the only employees who can be paid what we call "Subminimum Wage" in the US, which has been frozen at around $2 for several decades, while our minimum wage has increased.

>> No.4694170
File: 24 KB, 100x100, icon_stemdragon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> mfw danish
> mfw danish minimumwage for waiters is 27$
> mfw i only tipped 2 times in my life, and that was for excellent service
> mfw thats simply how it works in Denmark

where i come from, a tip is something you get if you go out of your way to preform service way above the expected. Someone asking what i'd like to eat, bringing it and taking it back after im done, does not get a tip. He/she gets a "yea it was great - can i pay?" - they smile, and accept. Then they go cash the hughe paycheck they got for such a easy job.

>> No.4694176

>>4693493
>observe dothead
>provide poor service
>receive poor tip
You.... are aware that this is a self-sustaining, self-amplifying cycle, no? How about:
>dothead enters
>thinks to self, 'man, my parents are such cheap fucks. I'm gonna tip like a drunken sailor, because AMERICA.'
>receives poor service
>thinks to self, 'my parents were right. Fuck tipping.'
Or:
>server guilty about RACISM, decides to try being nice to dothead
>dothead confused. NEVER LIKE THIS BEFORE, CLEARLY A TRICK, ALERT GANDHI
>no tip
>never again, swears server

>> No.4694195

>>4693302

Its pretty simple for me.. If the pizza-place charges me for delevery, i dont tip the guy who delivers. but in Denmark, its normally a car and gaz provided by the resturant aswell..

but if i pay for the service, im not tippin' for it aswell..

>> No.4694213

>>4693070
Most places show rendered tips on pay stubs, Not reporting them is a quick ticket to jail. Restaurants clear 3% profit on average in the united states. The only way they can stay open is subsidizing FOH wages.

>> No.4694251

don't you morons ever get tired of debating the same exact topic with the same exact rehashed points every single day

i could literally go into the /ck/ archive and pull a near complete clone of this thread

why don't you just go reread those over and over again instead of retyping the same shit you stated there, here?

>autism

>> No.4694252

>>4693652
>ll that tells me is that if you come here again I will make sure you get service so bad you never come back.

this is the problem with you retard waitors and it's why everyone hates you, instead of trying to make the next an extra pleasant experience for the customer so that they tip, you decide to do the exact opposite, and that's why I only tip for EXCEPTIONAL service

>> No.4694254
File: 248 KB, 827x828, tips.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4694275

Do the entitled waiters in america actually do shit to your food if you don't tip

>> No.4694298

>>4694275
No but the next time you come, they try to ignore you or even confront you to try and shame you. Once I got stopped at the door for not tipping though and they told me I forgot it, and I was like no I just didn't leave one and left out the door. Next time I got there, they wouldn't seat me even though there was plenty of room and no one was waiting, so I talked to their manager/owner and they straightened things out. Had to go up to the register though to pay but that's no big deal.

>> No.4694317

>>4694298
>not leaving immediately and slandering them all over social media

You damn fool. There could have been so many laughs and shitbag waiters losing their jobs.

>> No.4694323

>>4693161
>Implying you can't work and study at the same time

It's not hard

>> No.4694330

>>4694213
that's only debit and credit though, most tips come via cash.

>> No.4694331

>>4694251
it's not just in /ck/, this topic seems to pop up on every board

>> No.4694334

>>4694254
but that's not true.
$2 is very well below minimum wage in most states

>> No.4694335

Congratulations Op, you did your part to ensure tipping continues.

Think on a moment who is hurt by not tipping: hint, it is not the company.

The only way to stop tipping as a practice is to not eat at places where it is a thing and let them know why they are not getting your money.

>> No.4694336

>>4694334
all servers are paid minimum wage, alot of servers (everywhere but flyoverland) get paid minimum wage in addition to tip.s

>> No.4694338

>>4694336
nope

>> No.4694340

>>4694331
That's because the sense of entitlement americans feel is legendary and shit up everything it touches

>> No.4694381

>>4694338
yes they do.

>> No.4694429

>>4693618
Hahaha.

Amazing.

>> No.4694434

>>4694338
Retard, pay attention. Servers only get paid $2 if they make up the difference in tips.If it's less than minimum wage, the restaurant is forced to comp the difference, except if you work at a shady place. So you start at minimum wage. If you get $1 an hour, subtract $1 from minimum wage, and that's what your employer comps you.

If you like math:
Server's wage = tips + min(real minimum wage - tips, $2)

So if the state min wage is 8.50, you need more than 6.50 an hour to break the threshold, where your wage is higher than minimum.

>> No.4694442

>>4694381
No, they don't. It varies by state, but employers typically pay them between $2 to $5/hr if they are receiving tips.

>> No.4694447

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-food-truck-fires-worker-gripes-customer-tips-article-1.1414093

>> No.4694448

>>4694442
You're missing the point. Every server gets AT LEAST minimum wage. They only get lower if they can make up the difference. There are no waitresses legally earning and trying to live off of $2. They don't get paid min wage, but they definitely earn it eventually. That was the point the pic was making, that waitresses aren't starving if you don't give them tips.

>> No.4694449

>>4694434
It just baffles me how your minimum wage can be so low

>> No.4694452

>>4693202
You do realize tipping comes from Europe originally, right?

>> No.4694455

>>4694448
Sorry when I read they get "paid" minimum wage it made it seem like the employer pays them minimum wage regardless. Carry on.

>> No.4694457

>>4694449
Depending on where you live, the cost of living's pretty cheap. Most of the people who complain about minimum wage live in places with higher than average property values like NYC.

>> No.4694465
File: 2 KB, 126x92, 1307374711782s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4692673

way ahead of you. if you don't like your wage get another job. if you love your job get used to the pay. i work near min wage and i work in a group home for the mentally ill. i get no tips. quit bitching.

>> No.4694469

>>4694457
This. It grinds my gears when people on 5chang and in general do this, then when you ask where they live its always one of the most expensive places in the country to live.

Well no shit you can't afford it. MOVE.

>> No.4694527

>>4694469

Who's going to serve the food then?

>> No.4694552

>>4694527

what is a buffet?

>> No.4694564

>>4694527
>Servers decide "fuck this" and move to a place with cheap cost of living
>demand for labor in huge cities increases
>wages in cities slowly rises until it's more compatible with higher cost of living
This will never happen though since many servers inna city are liberal arts majors who would never leave NYC or LA to move to a "flyover" state.