[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 35 KB, 337x243, lamb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4604467 No.4604467 [Reply] [Original]

The sand niggers down the street from me sell lamb shoulder for 4 bucks a pound, leg for 5 bucks.

I typically get a couple pounds sliced into steaks and pan sear it, or chop a couple steaks up into cubes and make a curry.

Should I go for the leg or the shoulder? What difference does it make?

>> No.4604488

I sell lamb at my job.
But I don't know the answer.

I would guess Leg Steaks would be better on a grill or something, and Shoulder steaks would be better slow cooked or broiled.

Anyone else care to correct me? I would like to learn.

>> No.4604493

Leg is usually roasted or stewed whole.
Shoulder is usually cut into cubes and stewed or grilled.
Make of that information what you will.

What sort of curry will you make?

>> No.4604512
File: 284 KB, 1920x1080, 5678989.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Where are they getting these spring lambs?

>> No.4604513

I assume stews are made with shoulder because the shoulder is cheaper, once it's chopped up and in a stew the cut doesn't make a huge difference. But I could be talking out of my ass here.

which cut tends to have more bone and fat?

>> No.4604515

>lamb curry
Fuck you OP now I'm hungry.

>> No.4604538
File: 2.09 MB, 3252x2035, Shahi-Korma.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4604493

I usually fall back on either a classic curry using coconut milk and curry paste, or a korma made from butter and yogurt.

Occasionally I'll buy a can of pre-made Thai curry but it usually tastes so oily and shitty that it takes more work to skim the emulsions and make it palatable than it does to just make the shit from scratch.

>>4604515

>1 assload of butter
>1 assload of plain yogurt
>water
>frozen meat
>every spice in your cabinet

put ingredients in large pot and apply heat

sautee onions in the pot beforehand and add honey, cashews and/or raisins after if you want to get fancy

>> No.4604683

sage

>> No.4604703

>>4604683

>using sage as a downvote

I think they have some cooking-related reddits where you can where you can go express your unwarranted buttmad with the click of a button.

>> No.4605629

bump for interest, need a meat expert up in here

>> No.4605649

Australian here - pretty much the most popular aussie meat is lamb. Go the leg, since its most common here. Id imagine the shoulder is more fatty, but u generally dont get shoulder available everywhere

>> No.4605660

>>4604538
frozen meat?
I dont know why but it sounds wrong
does it has to be frozen? does it have any advances to fresh/thawed meat?

>> No.4605720

Ignoring the "sand nigger" reference (your ignorance is showing), I usually buy lamb shoulder chops. as in c. usually cheaper than rib chops, and I bake them in the oven with some dill pickle juice . Leg of lamb, boneless or whole can be pretty pricey, and to be honest, many people don't like lamb. and it is different from mutton ( full grown sheep) which can be pretty rank, unless stewed.

>> No.4605750

>>4604512
I don't know. Excuse me but I'm having a friend for dinner. LOL

>> No.4605758

>>4605720
People who don't like lamb were usually introduced to the wrong sort of lamb, or were influenced by parents who had the wrong sort of lamb. Mainly, New Zealand lamb (now) or just generally scrawny wool lambs anywhere (in the past).

That rank/barnyard flavor some lamb (not just mutton, though obviously it's stronger the older the animals get) has is seperate from the slight gaminess all lamb has and is a result of high amounts of lanolin (waxy undercoat), which essentially acts like a sponge, causing the lamb's meat to take on the odors of its surroundings.

Lamb breeds with the most lanolin produce the best wool (but also the least meat generally), so historically when lamb was bred for wool first and meat second breeds with high amounts of lanolin dominated. These days, the only western country that still breeds lamb almost exclusively for the wool first is New Zealand. It's still far too commonly eaten, though, as that its bred primarily for the wool means they freeze it and export it for cheap and undercut low-lanolin lamb from elsewhere. Free grazing/grass fed American/Australian/Canadian/British lamb, on the other hand, is delicious. But it's usually more expensive. So. Stuff.

>> No.4605821 [DELETED] 

>>4605758

I eat free grazing NZ lamb all the time, tastes just fine to me. Much better than grain fed blandness.

>> No.4605857
File: 57 KB, 550x550, America_reading_is_for_faggots.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4605821
>explain the reason behind the aversion many have towards lamb
>only mention grass fed meat-first breeds as an alternative
>"yeah well I like mine just fine"
Oh. Okay. Since you like the most pungent lamb on the market fuck everybody who didn't like their first taste of lamb and because of a lack of information now avoid it completely. Knowing stuff is overrated anyhow.

>> No.4607185

>>4605660

No it doesn't have to be frozen, I just enjoy the convenience of being able to skip the defrosting step when I cook on a whim.

>> No.4609374 [DELETED] 
File: 180 KB, 771x1159, anime dick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4605857

nigger, american grain fed lamb is what dominates the market here.

calm your mammary glands.

>> No.4610641

>>4605758

faggot, lanolin is fucking delicious.

>> No.4610664

you can taste the difference with halal lamb because of the magic words they say, when they slit it's throat.

>> No.4610676

>>4604467
god damn

lamb here costs a arm and a leg. A rack is like 20 bucks.

>> No.4610732

>>4609374
chris-chan?