[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 94 KB, 428x642, sm0Z8F_v9zUMsbYJmRKzBC4KB4CVqqkQIC6CufQOz+N19jXaD8toZMg==.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4588880 No.4588880 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /ck/, I have a problem when buying groceries and cooking meals. Whenever I want to make something new and interesting, I find that I have to buy ingredients that are going to go bad after awhile because only 2 people live in my household (myself and my partner).

So I was wondering if you have any good meals or recipes that involve ingredients that don't expire quickly and can be used in a variety of other meals, too? Or any other possible ideas to help me out? Budget friendly would be appreciated, too!

>> No.4588895

Make a lot of whatever it is. Get some of those entree size leftover containers. Put the remaining food in the containers and there's your lunch for the next few days.

I do this all the time. Never have to throw out unused ingredients, plus my lunch meals at work have improved significantly, and the costs have gone way down. Reheated lasagna is better than a mcdonalds value menu item.

>> No.4588898

>>4588895

My partner's company has free lunches of really good food, so he always eats there.

I eat at home, so that might work, but sadly my partner is not a huge fan of leftovers (I know, I hate it! But he's a great guy, I promise).

Perhaps there are foods that are better than others as leftovers that I could maybe get him to eat?

>> No.4588917

>>4588898
You can freeze the containers. Foods that are good as leftovers are usually the types of foods where you want the flavours to meld such as slow cooked meals like stews and curries. I also have the same problem as I cook only for myself. I usually freeze extras and sometimes they can make good side dishes as well.

>> No.4588922

>>4588917

Thanks for the tips! I need to invest in some good containers then. Do you have any recommendations on ones that keep food well?

>> No.4588941

>>4588922
I just use plastic ones from takeaways since I work at a restaurant and clean the used boxes. Those ones are flimsy, though. They'll freeze the stuff fine but are pretty much one (or two) use as they can easily break. Otherwise, go for sturdier tupperware boxes and they should do fine. I'm wary about using ziplock bags as I once used one for stock and it ended up leaking.

>> No.4590581

Make some chilli.

>> No.4590586

r u a gril?

>> No.4590663

Buy the very minimum amount of ingredients you need to only make two portions. Anything that is leftover you can just eat the next day, as there shouldn't be that much left of it.

Alternatively, draw up a meal plan which is based on a particular ingredient (eg. chicken) and have small variations of dishes for the week.

>> No.4590681

Plan more than one meal from an ingredient.

For example, on Sunday roast a chicken. When you're done, make stock.

Monday make chicken enchiladas.

Tuesday a nice soup with a green veg and the stock. Or a pasta with a veloute made from the stock, etc.

Being able to run a kitchen like this is really a large part of the art of cooking beyond the beginner levels, IMHO.

>> No.4590701

POTATOE