[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 225 KB, 1600x1067, Sweet-Potato-Wedges-013.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4519586 No.4519586 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /ck/

Quick question for you, had to make some sweet potato wedges. I just chopped and boiled the sweet potato until soft and then roasted them in olive oil with some paprika for 20 minutes at 200 c. Thing is they came out soft on the outside when I really wanted them to be crisp. Gave them another 10 mins and the same thing but had to serve them anyway.

So to make them crisp next time, what should I do? Higher temp? Longer in the oven? I can't deep fry them tho

>> No.4519592

I'm pretty sure the only way to get crispy wedges is to deep fry them, I'd love to be proven wrong though.

>> No.4519593

You know you don't need a deep fryer to deep fry, yeah?

>> No.4519599

>>4519592
>>4519593

The thing is, I need to keep them relatively healthy as I make them at work (I'm a support worker).

>> No.4519605

>>4519599
Then make something else.

>> No.4519610

>>4519605

Not really an option. Working with an autistic, it a fucking miracle we got him to eat these rather than chips/fries.

>> No.4519611

>>4519586
Over at the restaurant I work at, we just chop them to wedges and bake 'em in the oven without cooking. We tend to add fresh rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and squeezed garlic.

>> No.4519614

>>4519611

hmmmm, temp and how long?

>> No.4519617

I would cut them in smaller, uniform pieces and raise the heat to 235C. Coat them in a little oil, too much will make them soggy. Place them on a baking pan with lots of room, don't crowd them up. If you have them all snuggled up next to each other they will get mushy.

>> No.4519627

>>4519586

Instead of baking, broil.

People that boil something then bake it are fucking pleb.

>> No.4519650

You can boil them a little before roasting, but not completely cook them, just to soften the outside. Drain the water after boiling then shake them a bit in the pot to roughen them up, creates more surface area which means more crispy.
Olive oil will not get you the crispiest wedges, another vegetable oil like canola would work better. If you're determined to use olive oil you could go half vegetable and half olive.
Turn the grill on real hot for about 2-8 mins (I'm estimating here, depends on how close the grill is plus how hot it is) towards the end of the baking to finish them off. You should be checking them very often as they can easily burn here.

>> No.4519654

Cut into wedges
Saute with oil & seasoning
finish in the oven

>> No.4519700
File: 499 KB, 498x286, 1369105189164.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You don't need to boil them before baking. I'd recommend coating them with a little oil and well-seasoned flour to get them extra crisp and brown on the outside. Best way is to just put the wedges in a big bowl, add however much oil you want, mix with your hands to coat evenly, then add the seasoned flour (don't go easy on the salt) and mix well.

>> No.4519861

Best way to make crispy baked potatoes/sweet potatoes is to cut them in your desired way and wash them a lot (this will remove the starch in them). Leaving them submerged in water for some minutes is better.
Dry them the best you can then put in oven tray with abundant oil with plenty of room between them. Also remember to flip them a couple of times.
It should take around 30-45 minutes at 200°C depending on how big you cut the pieces.

>>4519586
If you plan to boil your sweet potatoes, which is rather harmless, you must boil them with their skins, before cutting them into wedges. Otherwise they'll just absorb too much water, making them soft all over.

>> No.4519942

You usually eat them baked. Try deep-frying, but don't cook them.