[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 90 KB, 1329x1269, Beef Chart (2).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4500647 No.4500647 [Reply] [Original]

Good evening /ck/. It's been a little while, but I'm back to answer any questions I can for you over the next few days in regards to my field. Regardless of the difficulty/depth of your question, please feel free to ask and I will be glad to assist you. While I may not respond immediately, I will get back to everyone as soon as possible.

And as always, I have an abundance of informational charts and posters for anyone who would like them.

>> No.4500679

Why is oxtail so fucking expensive now? How much do you charge for oxtail?

>> No.4500689

>>4500647

where can i go in the USA to get some horse meat?

>> No.4500722

>>4500679

Oxtail isn't as common of an item as it once was. Especially not in my area. A lot of times the companies don't stock them fresh anymore; meaning it has to be frozen/cyro-vac'd. If you find them fresh, they're a hot commodity; so the price might be a bit high. I know when we get them in cryo-vac'd (meh) at the local store (I work at a store when I don't have work to keep me busy) we sell ox tail for 1.59-1.89/lb. It's not too bad by any stretch of the mind; but it's not common either. You need to let most stores know ahead of time that you're interested in it for them to get it in. At least, in my area...

>>4500689
If you really want horse meat, you'll have to prod around for it. A lot of times farmers won't sell off their horses for meat. When a horse is old and beaten and gets sent off to be processed, it's not the kind of horse you want anyway. Depending on your region, it might be easier to get horse meat than other places. I'm not 100% sure where you're located, so the probability of me knowing a good place for you to get your horse meat is pretty low- if the product is available at all.

Let me know if there's something else I can help you with, or if you have more information for me to help you with your search.

>> No.4500774

>>4500722
>1.59-1.89/lb

That's a fucking great price compared to what I pay around here. Do you work at a large retailer or something?

>> No.4500789

>>4500774
>>
Nah... Just a family owned store. The prices could've gone up since last time I ordered them in; I can check the pricing booklets this Friday for you if you'd like up-to-date pricing. I get pricing booklets every so often... but I don't have them on me at the present time.

If there are other prices you're interested in, let me know and I'll dig those up next time I can get my hands on the books for those too.

>> No.4500800

>>4500722

im the guy who asked about the horse meet - i live in WNY

>> No.4500822

>>4500800

The only place I can find in Western New York is a restaurant in Toronto. It looks like they were supposed to add horse tartare to their menu. Looks like it's called "La Palette".

It's probably expensive though since it's at a restaurant.

If you've got some rural areas around you, you might be able to find someone who'll sell you horse meat. It's not always accepted though in our "modern culture", and you might find some people that will turn their noses up at you even for asking.

I'd check for farmer's markets and ask around at a local butcher shop or two to see if there's a chance of getting some pulled in for you, or put on order for you if it's a farmer's market.

I know largely rural areas have a better chance of finding it than other areas though due to the higher amount of farmers... I wish you luck anon. Sorry I didn't have more information for your region.

>> No.4500826

>>4500647

I collect said informationals

>> No.4500831

>>4500826
Would you prefer them zipped and sent to an e-mail address, or would you prefer me to post them on /ck/ as the night progresses?

>> No.4500852

>>4500789

I was under the impression you were actually butchering whole cows/pigs/etc

>> No.4500862
File: 403 KB, 548x432, Mostly trimmed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4500852

I do when they're available.

I do more deer than anything though. But it's not enough to keep me busy year round due to how many people in the area do the same thing. I'll process as many as I can, but when I'm not able to, I need some sort of steady work.

>> No.4500875

>>4500831

sorry OP, I'm back.
You can send them to geddy4444@gmail.com if that's more convenient for you

>> No.4500894

>>4500875

They will be sent your way in the next 5 minutes.

>> No.4500923

What aspects of butchering do you particularly enjoy and appreciate? Which animal do you enjoy to butcher in particular? Do you dabble in slaughter and/or the processes before primary butchery? A question for my curiosity: What sort of anatomical nuances or gross abnormalities allow you to distinguish between a carcass from a well-raised animal to that of a poorly-raised animal?

Any way to contact you in a private conversation?

>> No.4500951

>>4500894

thanks man, they're awesome

>> No.4500965

>>4500923
My favorite aspect of butchering is the artwork that ensues while you're processing the animal. Every steak and seam is a work of art all to itself. To make something look presentable as it would be seen at a restaurant is always something I strive to do (even when it's just cutting meat from a case). A real processing is a challenge and an enjoyment to have the opportunity to do.

Deer are my favorite because venison is delicious. I get a lot of beef, pork, etc. on a regular basis, so knowing that I'm working with a lean and delicious meat is always great.

I haven't actually done much with slaughter, but I know how to do it if necessary. I mainly deal with animals that are brought to me, or I get called to come in to process/butcher. I always ask for a game animal to be field dressed before I work on it due to having bile spilled all over the place one time when they didn't adequately dress the animal after killing it.

There aren't necessarily 'gross abnormalities' per-say that arise from some mal-treatments of an animal unless it's serious... then there's abscesses, cysts, etc. Typically meat from a mal-treated animal is tougher due to a harder life and leaner- which takes away from the marbling of the meat and helps devoid it of flavor... There's a lot that goes into a well-raised animal; but even a decently raised animal will yield good results. A really poorly treated animal and one that isn't maintained will certainly develop some serious flaws though.

You may contact me via e-mail if you wish if you're hoping for something more private at the following address: butcher.op@gmail.com. It's where I send my charts from as well.

>>4500951
I'm glad you like them. Please feel free to e-mail me if there's something else you need explained or an additional chart (if I have more for the area you desire, I will send them)

>> No.4501356

>>4500965
What's your opinion on animals raised this way? Are they actually well treated?

http://www.certifiedhumane.org/index.php?page=producers-products

What's your least favorite meat to work with and why?

>> No.4501388

your opinion on "cowboy ribeye" I understand the closer it is to the bone the more tender the meat due to it being less used by the animal.

>> No.4501660

is there any kind of meat that doesn't have veins and thick bands of connective tissue in it? I hate it when I cook a roast for sandwiches and every slice has some chewy slimy shit running through it.

am I just being weird? no one else in my family seems to notice it.

>> No.4501852

>>4501356
From what I can see from your link, the animals should be in excellent condition. I know a lot of companies out there claim "natural" instead of organic to try to look more legit and sell more product; but that organization looks pretty solid. I'd wager the marbling would be adequate and the overall condition of the beef should be great.

My least favorite meat to work with... lamb. It's small (easy to miss-cut or damage), doesn't sell much in the shop, and is very expensive. Lamb can be a great item for many aspects of cooking and for many meals, but in general, working with lamb at the shop sucks because of many factors.

Lamb is great though, so don't let me strike it down too hard.

>>4501388
The way a cowboy ribeye works (to my knowledge) is that it's essentially a lollipop chop ribeye. You take a bone-in delmonico/ribeye and you cut off the bone-side's portion of the fat from the cab. You then cut all the fat/meat out from in between each of the rib ends. This causes the bone to stick out like a "handle" or "lollipop stick". Once you do this, depending on how thick you want it you can use either whole ribs (huge steak) or you can cut them down the middle (or approximately down the middle) and you'll still get a big steak. The ribeye is a delicious piece in general, so it should be a great piece of meat. The addition of the bone also adds in some more flavor due to the natural marrow and nutrients that the bones can provide. In the end, you could get bone-in ribeyes and it'd be very similar. The cowboy chop is typically just a selling point/ "specialty item" that stores will sell. They're certainly a nice treat though! If you want to know more about them, please let me know and I'll try to provide some additional material for you.

>>4501660
Can you tell me what kinds of roasts you're using? I'd be glad to explain the pieces you're using and help you find additional pieces with less problems. You're not being weird, it's there sometimes.

>> No.4501893

hey, i remember you! :)

anyways. i've always wanted to have two specific south-american cuts, that i don't get at home.
what sould i say to the butcher if i want "Picanha" and "Alcatra" from the following pic:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/portuguese/amesa/boi.jpg

>> No.4501904

>>4501893
ah btw, i'd love to get the .zip-file with the charts aswell.
wurstdrucker@hotmail.de

>> No.4501910
File: 94 KB, 533x800, mfw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4501893
>mfw my butcher has these and I don't even live in brazil

feels good man

>> No.4501912
File: 22 KB, 400x236, Beef Chart (3).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4501893
As I'm sure you're aware, other countries cut their meats a lot differently than they do in the US. Most of their cuts run into several different "identified cuts" in the US. I'll give you the best picture I can to help with your request though. I'm not sure how I would go about asking for it because I've only learned US cutting style.

The chart I've sent you is in reverse of what you're looking at, so think mirror image and locate where the pieces are. It looks like one of them is near the Sirloin, and the other one is a part of the Round (possibly), the Bottom Sirloin and the Top Sirloin from how the charts look together... I'm not sure how you'd cut that though without rendering other parts of the beef useless for US style cutting. I think your best bet would be to show a real butcher (not a regular grocery store) the chart and show them where you want the meat from and see if they're able to meet your needs. I know around here it'd be unlikely they'd be willing to change from the norm to cut out those cuts- especially the Alcatra.

I wish you luck though anon. If there's more I can do, please let me know.

>> No.4501915

>>4501852
I think I usually get round roasts. I also notice a lot of non-meaty stuff in whatever is marked as "london broil" or "pot roast."

it just doesn't seem right when your slice of meat is more like 2 pieces being held together by some chewy shit.

>> No.4501920

>>4501904
They'll be to you within 10 minutes.

>>4501910
That's awesome that you've got those cuts available. Are you a US resident? What else do they call them? I'd be interested in branching out to learn more about alternate cutting styles so I can assist others in the future.

>> No.4501938

>>4501915

Ok. I thought you might be getting the bottom round roast. That definitely has a portion in it that is relatively inedible. It's called "silver side". If you pick the portion of the roast that looks almost squared (the center of the piece) one of the sides will have what appears to be fat and connective tissue on one side- this part is very tough and won't get tender no matter how long you cook it. The rump roast (from the other end of the bottom flat) will not have that dense tissue, nor will the 'triangular looking/sloped' end of the bottom round. The london broil also has some junk to it if it's not properly trimmed. It also seems to have "2 parts" to it. There's the large bottom portion, and the small upper portion that's separated by an amount of fat and some tissue. If you're worried about the 2 part split, I'd use the bottom part for what you want, and cut off the top and turn it into beef cubes or something. If you get rid of that little bit of junk on the top, it should turn out a lot better for you in terms of a roast. That being said... the fat that is in that center section also allows for some flavor to be infused. That being the case, I'd cook the fat in with it after it's been trimmed so that you can skim the fat off/out of the mixture before you slice it up after it's been cooked. That way you're still getting some of that flavor in the broth at least.

If you want some other options, please feel free to ask.

>> No.4501940

>>4501920

Yeah I'm in the US. Never actually bought it because the pieces on display are intimidatingly large like cartoon meat from the flintstones, but I'm kind of curious now. I've only seen it at the one place (fancy yuppie hipster butcher)

>> No.4501944

>>4501915
>I also notice a lot of non-meaty stuff in whatever is marked as "london broil" or "pot roast."

Those are stewing cuts of meat, They will contain fat and gristle. That's a GOOD thing. When you cook the meat for a long time the collagen and gelatin will render out making the meat tender and juicy and providing a lot of texture to the "sauce" in your stew.

You need to match the cut of meat to what you're doing with it. Gristle would be horrible in a steak but is good in stewing meat.

>> No.4501950

>>4501940

Sounds about right... They certainly have a different view on how to prep meat than we do, and some of their cuts get very long. I just wish I had more information to help the anons with since it's something that seems to be getting more and more of an interest category for meat eaters. I don't have many bodegas around me or traditional South American, Spanish, Korean, or otherwise foreign butchers around here. They all have interesting methods, none of which I've ever learned. Maybe sometime someone will show up with some information for all of us.

I'll have to start keeping an eye out for this kind of information for you guys.

I'm headed out for a bit, but I'll be glad to answer more questions as soon as I get back. Keep those questions coming /ck/.

>> No.4501951

>>4501940
season and bbq some picanha (the whole thing together with the fat) to medium rare and just eat it.
best BBQ-cut ever.

>> No.4501953

>>4501944

Indeed. Fat is the building block of flavor and texture. Some parts of the animal won't break down no matter how long you cook it though. Most of what you find will though. Silverside, however, won't go away (as with the bottom round). A lot of people don't want to deal with the little bits anymore though; so it's not uncommon for meat cutters and butchers to remove a small section of that roast due to customer request/demand.

It's interesting how everyone views their products differently.

>> No.4501959
File: 38 KB, 440x310, roast_beef-6574.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4501938
I should clarify I don't mean stuff on the side, I'm talking about streaks of whatever it is that goes right through the middle. like in this picture the crosssection is kind of a sideways y shape.

>> No.4501968

>>4501944
I like beef stew but I've never enjoyed chewing on gristle no matter how long it's been cooking. I also scrape the gelatinous part off my bbq ribs too though so maybe that's abnormal.

>> No.4501972
File: 67 KB, 554x580, butcher.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4501852
>4501356
Thanks! Now I can enjoy meat again :3

>> No.4501980

Walked into the supermarket one day and noticed they had St. Louis style ribs marked as baby back ribs. I told the dude working there about it and he insisted that baby back ribs and St. Louis style are the same thing, people just have different names them. Then his manager came up and agreed with him that they are the same thing.

Question: Should I have stabbed both of them in their carotid artery with a number 2 pencil?

>> No.4502021

Do you know anything about "lunch meat" like what cut it is or what is done to it to make it so un-meaty?

E.g. Sliced turkey lunch meat has nothing in common flavor or texture with turkey.

>> No.4502081

>>4502021
Not him, but I think this is probably the answer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanically_separated_meat

>> No.4502097

>>4502021
Saw a video on that the other day:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ivNteIUeCow&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DivNteIUeCow

>> No.4502125

>>4500965
>>4500894
>>4500647
please send to me as well, if you would

>> No.4502492

>>4501953

What's your opinion on corn fed cows? What exactly is the difference between them and grass fed cows (if there is).

>> No.4502525

What's the cheapest cut of beef that can still make a decent steak?

>> No.4502549

>>4502525

You should choose steak based on appearance, not based on the cut. Look at the marbling, etc. That will get you a lot farther than simply asking for a specific cut. You will often see a premium cut like a ribeye with poor marbling despite its high price. Likewise you might find cheaper steaks like a sirloin with excellent marbling. Look at the specific steaks you are considering purchasing rather than deciding based on the cut.

>> No.4502584

>>4500894
I would love copy of those, OP. would you send them to snippy11025@gmail.com?

>> No.4502595

>>4502097
Wait, did they get rid of that other awesome guy that narrated the show? I always loved hearing his voice making those puns.

>> No.4502614

>>4501980
Answer: Yes, you should have stabbed them. Shady-ass "butchers."

St. Louis style ribs are trimmed-up spare ribs (or belly ribs). Babyback ribs are from closer to the backbone and have better meat on them.

>> No.4502622

>>4502525
Bottom sirloin/sizzle steaks are a good economical steak, although you might find them to be too chewy. Other than that, stick with top sirloin.

>> No.4502765

>>4501980
Unless you like gnawing on bones, there are better cuts of pork available at a comparable price. I was tempted to buy some babyback ribs this week because they're only $2.99/lb. Also St. Louis ribs are $2.49/lb and spare ribs are only $1.99/lb. Then I did some comparisons. Whole and half boneless pork loins are on sale for $2.49/lb. Pork butts are $2.29/lb but frequently go on sale for $1.99/lb. And bone-in country style ribs (from the rib end of a bone-in pork loin) are usually $1.99/lb and they are meaty and delicious.

Babyback ribs are like the chicken wings of the pork world, these days. Yes, they're absolutely delicious but they're overpriced because of their high demand as an elite party food. Overrated in my opinion.

>> No.4502780

How well does you offal sell?

>> No.4502985

>>4501980
I would've been upset about the labeling. St. Louis ribs are completely different from baby back ribs. Then again, I've seen some stores sell spare ribs as baby back ribs... Sometimes they just don't know, sometimes they mess up and hope customers don't notice. I'd be upset if I were you. Sometimes St. Louis ribs and Spares are mistakenly sold as the same thing- it's more understandable, but still not acceptable. Especially since the preparation and look is different...

>>4502021
I think the video sums up the answer pretty well.

>>4502097
(thanks)

>>4502125
You will have e-mail in ~5 minutes.

(I will return for more questions in a few minutes)

>> No.4503014

>>4502492
Corn fed beefs taste different and have different marbling than solely grass fed beefs. It has to do with the dietary consumption (obviously). Typically someone raising steer gives them corn after they've started to develop to help fatten them up and prepare them to be sold at market. There's a lot of different opinions on corn fed vs grass fed beefs... but the real thing comes down to what you can afford. In honesty, the grass fed beefs are probably healthier steer, but they don't typically get as large from what I've seen. The taste is different too though... I'm not sure how I'd categorize it. There is definitely a difference in some of the marbling and the overall beef though. Whether it's "better" or not is up to speculation.

>>4502525
It depends on how much you've got to spend and the quality of the steak (as mentioned by other posters). You can get a great cap steak or top sirloin steak when it's on sale that has great marbling, but you can also find a crappy and disgusting delmonico for 9.99/lb... In general, I feel as though the top sirloin (sirloin steak) is the best steak for the money when it's on sale, but that's just my opinion.

>>4502584
I'll send them to you next- it'll be 5-10 minutes.

>>4502614
Thanks for your assistance.

>>4502622
Indeed. This is also valid.

>>4502780
Offal rarely sells where I work. Therefore, we only buy it in when someone needs it. In that case, it sells quite well (when it's ordered). In general, offal sells like crap in my area.

>> No.4503047

>>4503014
>Thanks for your assistance.

I rarely comment but I love your threads. Very informative.

>> No.4503051

>>4501959
Oops. Sorry about that anon. I forgot to get back to you about your post.

I don't really have that problem with the bottom rounds that I get in.

If you look on youtube for ckButcherOP, you'll see what my bottom round looks like when I'm done with it (really slow video to explain about the characteristics of the beef and how to cut them for showcase/sale).

If you don't like that bit though, you can definitely cut it out and shave the beef instead of slicing it for your sandwiches. That'd be my advice.

Any more questions for The Butcher /ck/?

>> No.4503055

>>4503047
You'd be more than welcome to. I'm always glad for second opinions and assistance from people that know about the business.

>> No.4503083

>>4503051
May I get an information-filled email as well, please?

>> No.4503096

>>4503083
Indeed anon. You'll have them within 5 minutes.

>> No.4503119

>>4503096
Thank you kindly.

>> No.4503135

>>4503014
Thanks!

>> No.4503143

Threads like these are why I love /ck/

>> No.4503146

>>4503119
My pleasure.
>>4503135
Quite welcome.
>>4503143
Thanks anon. I appreciate it. I enjoy making these threads when I am able to.

>> No.4503247 [DELETED] 

Out for dinner /ck/. I'll answer any cued questions you have for me when I return. Keep the questions coming!

-The Butcher

>> No.4503782

Any questions for me tonight /ck/?

>> No.4503820

>>4503782
How do you chop chicken wings?

>> No.4503821

>>4503782
how many hookers have you killed, and processed into consumable meat?

>> No.4503831

First lessons/advice as a novice butcher/apprentice/etc? Most valuable lessons/advice? Common rookie mistakes? Difference between a good and great butcher (not including customer interaction skills)?

>> No.4503852

>>4503820

Do you mean how do I remove them? Or if I chop the tips off and keep them whole wings, leave the tips on and keep them whole wings, or if I remove the tips and cut them into party wings?

If that's the case, I do party wings all the time.

>>4503821
ohyou.jpg
--> In honesty though, it's very unlikely that people would even notice the difference between animal meat and human meat if they were cut the same and put into the case... Fucked up shit.

>>4503831
How much would my newbie/apprentice know about cutting meat, animal nomenclature, knives, and other aspects of the job? That's actually a pretty deep question. Give me a little something to work with and I'll answer all your questions in depth.

Sometimes people come into their apprenticeship knowing some general knowhow, and others try to come in with no knowledge to speak of.

>> No.4503856

>>4503852
Party wings. I keep getting bits of joints so I'm thinking I'm doing it wrong.

>> No.4503872
File: 18 KB, 400x266, 2273791-object-on-white--food--chicken-wing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4503856
Good stuff anon. Party wings are the best (in my opinion). There's a lot of ways to cut the wing to make good party wings.

What I would do is stretch the wing out the whole way and snip the tips at the first joint. Then one method would let the wing fold at a 90 degree angle for the 2 good portions of the wing. Then you cut at a 45 in the center of that junction. It should give you a good split. I'll try to take a few pictures while I'm at work if you'd like a walk through that way. Sometimes little bits will be on the ends of your wing, but that's alright. If you're worried about the look, just take some time to look at the bone structure of the aviary nature (specifically the chicken and the turkey). You'll see where all the bones connect, and how to most easily separate them. If you're not comfortable looking at a chart, or you're a hands on learner... sacrifice one of the wings and cut the flesh and skin off the exterior of one side. From there, you can look at where the joint separates, and you'll probably have much less trouble separating them in the future.

Let me know if there's more I can do to help you out anon.

>> No.4503873

>>4503852
>How much would my newbie/apprentice know about cutting meat, animal nomenclature, knives, and other aspects of the job? That's actually a pretty deep question. Give me a little something to work with and I'll answer all your questions in depth.
Nomenclature and knives are not so much important to me, but I'm more curious about what sort of lessons/values/advice a veteran butcher hopes to impart to and instill in an apprentice/newbie. In other words, if there were one (or two or several) thing you hope [your apprentice] would remember during his or her career/time cutting meat, what would it be? I know I'm asking general/vague questions, but my hope is that there are certain aspects or topic of butchery that you feel really enthusiastic about and willing enough to share. I just recently became interested in the idea of butchery (not so much wanting to become a butcher. I'm already a scientist).

Thanks du.

>> No.4503886

>>4503873
Alright. I can definitely work with this.

In terms of values and lessons, the most important lesson is to NEVER waste anything from the animal. If you can tan the hide, do so. If you can use all the bones for stock (which you should), do so. If you can't keep all the meat fresh in the store, turn what you can't sell into jerky or ground meat.

If I had an apprentice, I would really want them to know the nomenclature of the animals so that they could more easily learn how to part them out and how to fish around the bones easier so that they would have an easier time working and less chance of ruining their knives.

The most important aspect of learning to butcher, however, is knowing how to turn something from a corpse into a viable life-saving food. Knowing if it's rotten or not can save your life if you're in the wilderness. Knowing how to salvage a carcass of a wide variety of animals (steer, elk, deer, moose, chicken, turkey, lamb, etc) is an extremely important survival tactic. For this reason, I would say if you take nothing else away from butchering, know how to turn a carcass into usable pieces. While we try to teach it like an art form and to make everything look like a restaurant quality steak... when it comes down to it, if you can separate pieces, you can make something useful out of it.

There's a lot of stuff I would want my apprentice to know if I were to take one on... but I feel as though knowing how to be a survivalist out of processing is the most important.

If you want to know more about what I deem important in the field, please let me know and I'll keep rambling on.

>> No.4503897

whats the best slice of beef should I get and how heavy if I want a thick ass steak, Mr. Butcher Supreme

>> No.4503901

How are your sales doing? The butcher at my store is having trouble these days, saying meat sales keep going down and he doesn't know what the problem is

I'm wondering of vegetarianism/veganism is picking up more people

>> No.4503920

>>4503872
Thank you. I guess I just need more practice.

>> No.4503928

>>4503897

The "best steak" is a very subjective question. Most times people find that Delmonico/Ribeye steaks are their favorite or Fillet Mignon.

In my opinion, the two best steaks are Delmonico and Porterhouse Steaks. The Porterhouse is comprised of both New York Strip and Fillet Mignon and the Delmonico/Ribeye is self explanatory. I'd recommend keeping the steak bone-in if you want the best steak possible.

The overall weight of the steak is less important than the thickness... if it's too thick, it's hard to cook it properly throughout. I notice much thicker than 2 inches is difficult for most people to cook properly.

Break down: Porterhouse or Bone-In Delmonico/Ribeye ; about 2 inches thick for "big ass steak".

>>4503901
Sales are fine at our store. We're selling out of a lot of products. Some are definitely selling less than they used to, but overall we're selling a lot more of the less expensive roasts, so we're still moving volume and making money.

Old school butcher shops do run into trouble due to their potential waste- which is a shame. Typically those people are the ones whom best know the products that are being sold to the public... but such is life, unfortunately.

Since I process people's animals, they know they can trust me to properly break down their animals- so I don't have to worry about them going somewhere else when they kill their deer, elk, moose, etc. They know I'll do it the same way every time at the same price (or similar price... depends on what the task is)- and they appreciate knowing who's doing everything for them.

Vegetarianism/veganism is definitely catching on though. Not to say people didn't do it before, but there's a lot of research coming out supporting eating less meat... aside from that, meat is also a luxury item and is somewhat expensive for the most part; so it's not as easily accessible to the masses as it used to be. Both of these are important factors to consider.

>> No.4503931 [DELETED] 

>>4503920

My pleasure anon. If you want me to take pictures and make a vertical explaining it, I'd be more than happy to help you out with that too as soon as I get in the shop next.

>> No.4503939 [DELETED] 

>>4503931
My pleasure anon. If you want me to take pictures and make a vertical explaining it in more detail (if you're a visual learner), I'd be more than happy to help you out with that too as soon as I get in the shop next.

>> No.4503942

>>4503920
My pleasure anon. If you want me to take pictures and make a vertical explaining it in more detail (if you're a visual learner), I'd be more than happy to help you out with that too as soon as I get in the shop next.

>> No.4503950
File: 1.29 MB, 1944x2592, prep truck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Outstanding thread sir.

Question regarding quality and purveyors. I work for an Ivy school with it's own butcher shop. We go out of the way to purchase Neiman Ranch or Braveheart PSMO tenders, usually choice or high choice for certain functions. I find IBP to be damned close for quality and taste. Any experience with those guys for other cuts or primals?

Pic related, cold room next to butcher's office.

>> No.4503951

>>4503942
Yes, that would be helpful.

>> No.4503959

>>4503886
Please keep on. I'm a different anon, but I am also considering getting into the butchery trade and would very much like to hear anything of interest you may have to share.

>> No.4503970

>>4503950

Is that a hollymatic grinder I see in the corner there? :-p

We actually use IBP for a lot of our meats at the store I work at when I'm not processing for other people. We also get Creekstone, if you're looking to impress. The quality of the meat is fairly high, and their lowest grade is better than most group's standards for select+ and sometimes even bordering on choice quality for Creekstone's lowest rankings. They're also angus beef, which is great. The prices used to be pretty solid, but I haven't gotten a catalog from them lately... I could check for a list when I get into the office next (probably Saturday morning) and see if I can help you with pricing. It's definitely good. I can't release prices though on /ck/... you'd have to e-mail me ( butcher.op@gmail.com ) and proceed from there.

IBP hasn't typically let me down for many things. Sometimes we end up with a bad lot, but there's bad steer out there and they'll be packaged regardless (any company can have a bad case or two).

Please contact me via e-mail and I can try to assist you in more detail or further discuss the qualities of the beefs available from the companies we order from.

>>4503951
I will do it Saturday morning for you. If the thread dies, e-mail me and I'll get you your files.

>>4503959
I will continue on in a moment, I'm going to fetch a glass of water and prepare a drink for the evening.

>> No.4503989

>>4503970
>>4503959

Back on topic...

As I mentioned, knowing all the parts of the animal is extremely important even if you're not going to be a full time butcher (or meat cutter). If you plan on it though, make sure you've got the primals, sub primals, and the bone structure of the animal on lock down. That's why I have as many charts as I do readily available for anyone whom desires them.

Knowing what knives to buy (start with forschner/victorinox blades- they'll last a long time if you treat them right) and how to sharpen them is also incredibly important. Knowing how to properly wash your butchering knives is also very important. Knowing what materials to have for your own personal comfort while cutting is also a key factor. I prefer rosewood handles as a personal preference, but if the block is going to be getting dirtied by other butchers, plastic handles are much more reliable and sanitary. Solo work allows for you to maintain a higher level of sanitation and cleaner block space; but it's impossible to predict what will happen when you're working with others- so know what knives you'll need.

Speaking of knives... you'll need a small variety of blades (sometimes provided by your job, mind you) in order to be ready to take on the challenges and different scenarios you will face. You'll want a breaking knife or cimeter in addition to your boning knife (typically a semi-stiff, but it's your call). Typically I get curved knives for my boning knife- though you can just as easily use a straight one depending on your technique.

There's a ton to know about everything before you even get to plunge a knife into the animal- so if you're interested in butchering or cutting meat at a shop, look into all the aspects first before going into the store. But once you do, make sure your mind is flexible- as some of what you learn will be outdated, overly complicated, or otherwise needing to be altered.

(could be continued if desired)

>> No.4504013

I have 4 boneless, thin pork sirloin chops. How should I cook it? Oven or stove please.

>> No.4504026

>>4504013

You could go either way, in honesty. I typically marinade them and grill them, but that's out of the question for this instance. You could either pan fry those puppies (1/2 inch or less) or you can bake them at 325 degrees-350 degrees in your oven.

I'd probably put my money on pan frying them though if they're thin enough.

>> No.4504071

>>4504026

marinate is a verb. marinade is a noun. great thread, but my sperg is foaming.

>> No.4504080 [DELETED] 

>>4504071
Whoops. Thanks. I meant to say I typically use a marinade with them or that I marinate them. I suppose it's getting late...

>> No.4504612

>>4504071
Indeed. That's a derp on my part.
Any questions for The Butcher today /ck/?

>> No.4504619

How can I practice not chopping off my fingers when I use a cleaver?

>> No.4504621

How do you get into butchering?

>> No.4504628

>>4504612
Besides bottom feeding fish and pork, what is the most worm infested meat I can find?

>> No.4504636

>>4504619

There are quite a few methods butchers use for different knives. The way I was taught to use a cleaver was to have the meat prepared in a way that it wasn't going to move and then hack it down the center to split it. There's almost nothing that I would use a cleaver for though, as almost everything can be cut around/prepared with smaller knives.

What do you use your cleaver for? There might be a better way to consider than what I've used.

>>4504621
If you're lucky you find an apprenticeship in your local area or region. You'll want to know some things about meat before you try to get one though. The elderly man I used to work with told me that sometimes you need to shadow or be a store hand "a bitch" for the shop owner and do the most annoying, meaningless tasks... and for free. Then you'll start to gain knowledge as you talk to him while he works or when you're watching him prepare meat for the counter. Eventually they'll let you watch them and talk things over with you.

Sometimes there are technical schools for butchering too. That's a pretty solid way to learn about it- but it really depends on where you're located. Butchering is sort of a dying trade aside from the packaging plants and a small amount of local shops.

If you're just interested in cutting meat, you could work at a grocery store that has a meat department where they cut meat to order. You won't learn how to rip an animal apart or how to butcher, but you'd learn a lot about how to properly cut and serve your meats.

>>4504628
I don't know too much about infectious meats, as we try to sell them before they get out of their edible state. However, I'm sure just about any meat would get worms and maggots if it sat out long enough... What are you using it for?

>> No.4504641

What should I look out for to know that I'm a good quality butcher shop? Or rather what should I look out for when I enter a shop? How common is meat glue?

>> No.4504647

Does your shop sell pig's blood? If not, why?

>> No.4504667

>>4504641

How common is meat glue?
I didn't even know that was a thing. I've never used it before, nor have any of the butchers I know. However, that doesn't mean it's not out there... I just watched a video on it right now to see what it was. It looks damn believable though- I never would've guessed people would sink so low as to sell 'false' meats like that.... That's saddening.

When you're entering a shop, appearances can be deceiving. I'd be more interested in the knowledge that the butcher actually possesses and the passion that they have for their work. Most grocery stores get whomever they can into work their counters and their meat departments. Butchers (local) end up doing family related hirings and work. Therefore, tradition and experience typically allow for a greater product. They can also be more expensive though due to utilizing and entire steer than buying boxed meats...

It's a complicated thing to find a butcher or store that you can know and trust. I'd just say keep an eye out for a knowing staff and (hopefully) an honest staff if you can find one and try them out for a little. Test the waters around you to see if there are better ones, and if not- stick to your guns.

I know most of the shops around where I live are solid and honest workers- so I never really had to consider what to look for in a "good shop"

>> No.4504668

>>4504636
Breaking through bones and tough skin vegetables like kabochas or coconuts. People have been telling me that's what I want to use for those items, but what would you use, because it feels pretty dangerous to me to use since it doesn't really cut that well without much momentum.

>> No.4504669

>>4504647

We don't sell any variety of blood unless you want extra with your liver when you buy beef liver. If someone asked for it, I'm sure we wouldn't have trouble getting them some though.

The area I live in is sort of conservative, and there isn't any demand for pig blood or any other animal's blood that we sell in the shop.

Would you have a use for it that you'd need it? If so, what would you use it for that makes it an interesting sale point?

>> No.4504673

>>4504668
I'll get back to you later this afternoon, I've got to jettison off for my daily grind. Sorry to make you wait.

I'll be out for a bit here /ck/, but if you have more questions for me, please ask and I'll get through all of them as soon as I get home.

>> No.4504675

>>4504667
What questions should I ask to test a butcher's knowledge other than the obvious where/when did this meat come from? what's the farm conditions like, etc?

>> No.4504676

>>4503886
Thanks for your response. Being unwasteful and recognizing the value of an animal and its corpse to our human welfare perfectly align with my values and philosophy, which explains my interest in butchery. I'll definitely be back with more questions about some of the more esoteric aspects of butchery. Appreciate your presence.

>> No.4504684

>>4504669
Well, I'd use it to make black pudding and blood pancakes. I'm not sure if that would be an interesting sales point though.

>> No.4504723
File: 17 KB, 250x335, b1d6v1z5u7f0v4r9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4504669
Chinese people use it to make blood tofu. It tastes pretty much like that and lends a good texture to food and soups, but tastes like you're eating pennies

>> No.4504972

>>4504636
Do most meats have dormant worms in them?
>What are you using it for?
Just worried about what goes in my body if something is undercooked

>> No.4505771

>>4504668
>>4504673

For breaking some bones, cleavers are definitely sweet. I've never tried something like a coconut or a kabocha with a cleaver though... They sound like they're liable to move and cause more damage than they're worth with a cleaver.

I'd do one of these for coconuts though. http://www.wikihow.com/Open-a-Coconut
I don't know what to tell you about the kabocha though, sorry anon. If the base is large enough, you can probably cleave it if need be- but I'd try to find an alternate method.

>>4504675
If you're asking at a grocery store/supermarket, they won't know anything about the farms or the general conditioning of the beef. They'll just know (possibly) what primal it's from, and what sub primal it is.

If you're going to a real butcher, they can show you on the carcass where meats come from- it's pretty neat.

To test their knowledge, you can have them tell you about the roasts or steaks you're buying and have them tell you the best application due to the natural grain tendencies of the beef. Sometimes the butcher doesn't cook, and that makes this segment unreliable at times.

Real butchers will also have a greater chance of knowing about processing of animals other than cows and chickens. Turkeys, calves and lamb are also on their list of known anatomies. In addition, some know about game processing (deer, elk, moose, etc). You could try asking about those topics and see where you get. Butchers will also know how to make sausage.

>>4504676
My pleasure, I'll be glad to take your questions whenever you have time to ask them.

>>4504684
You might be able to get blood from the liver bag if you're trying to make black pudding. You could also tell a real butcher in your area that you're planning on making it and they could let you know when there's a fresh steer or pig that will be being slaughtered soon so that you could take away some of the blood.

>>4504723
I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!

>> No.4505804

>>4504972
I don't believe that meats have a high level of parasitical infection or infection. That's typically a sign of a sick or mal-treated animal from what I've seen over the years. A lot of animals will have worms or other parasites in their system, but you're not eating the intestines, bladder, rectum, etc- are you? Therefore, you shouldn't need to worry much about that unless your meat was improperly packaged or handled during its post-processing life.

If it's from a reliable source, I wouldn't be too worried about eating something that's a little undercooked, especially beef. I eat beef medium all the time and it's not killed me or made me sick yet. Chicken is one that you'll want to keep fully cooked- salmonella is pretty nasty.

>> No.4505827

>>4505804
I sometimes eat intestines here in restaurants in the UK and China so this post got me interested. Should I be worried?

>> No.4505839

>>4505827
Not if they're properly cleaned. If it's a restaurant, there's a good chance they order their intestine in... if this is the case, there are very high standards for companies that clean and sell intestines. I wouldn't be too concerned, really. If their customers get sick, it's a really, really big deal for the company that processes and sells them to the restaurant you get it from.

Long and short; I wouldn't be too worried.

>> No.4505982

>>4505771
>You could also tell a real butcher in your area that you're planning on making it and they could let you know when there's a fresh steer or pig that will be being slaughtered soon so that you could take away some of the blood.
That's a good idea! It'll try that, thank you.

>> No.4505991

>>4505982
My pleasure anon. Let me know if there's something else I can do for you.

>> No.4506031

>>4505839
Thanks!

>> No.4506123

Any more questions for me /ck/?

>> No.4506148

>>4500679

mmmm... oxtail stew...

>> No.4506162

Are you a male or female?

Are you gay or straight?

Are you religious?

What do you think about the immigration policy?

>> No.4506173 [DELETED] 

>>4506162
1. Male
2. Straight
3. I am agnostic.
4. The immigration policy could use some work. While it does allow certain members into the US that become legal and honest working members of society, it also allows workers to send money out of the US back to their home towns... which will lead further toward the eventual downfall of our economic standings (not that it's not already in the shit). We should stand strong against illegal immigration, but we should also give the possibility for those whom wish to become a legal resident that ability.

In the end, my opinion on the issue is irrelevant- as it will happen either way regardless of my intentions or personal reflections, thoughts, or ideals.

>> No.4506175

>>4506173

I wish you hadn't answered that last question. Your threads are always super classy, I'm afraid some of our basement dwelling regulars like a sometimes tripfag from Illinois are going to turn it into a shitstorm now.

>> No.4506179

>>4506175
I'll ditch it and re-respond removing the last portion. You've got a valid point anon. Thanks for watching out.

>> No.4506180

>>4506162
1. Male
2. Straight
3. I am agnostic.
4. Politics aren't relevant to me being a butcher.

>> No.4506181

>>4506175
Ok fine I'll behave.

Mr. Butcher guy, have you seen the Wal-mart black packaged premium meat commercial?

Have you ever tried their meats? What do you think of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5MgoJm4cp4

Only video I can fine. Sorry

>> No.4506186

>>4506181

I've seen the commercials a few times, and I'm not sure if I trust it or not. Since I've been working at shops since I was able to drive, I almost always cut my own meat at the store and take it home. I don't trust many people with my steaks... unfortunately I've got a rather strong bias on my opinion and I fear I won't have a solid answer for you about the quality of their product.

That being said, they claim that it's USDA choice... which means it should be a pretty solid grade of beef. Sometimes sources will rate their beef slightly higher than it should be claimed, but even if it's select+, it should be pretty good meat. I don't trust someone who can't cut their own steaks and put them out- which at Wal-Mart (typically) there is no-one that knows much about their products aside from where to put it on the shelves.

I will take a look at their steaks next time I'm close to a Wal-Mart and take a few pictures and compare them to what I'd sell at my store for Choice grade beef and we'll see how they compare for the sake of comparison of "mass production" and "home style" since I am currently unable to provide you with adequate results.

Let me know if you have specific cuts you'd like compared and I'll get on it for you anon.

>> No.4506543

>>4506186
>I don't trust someone who can't cut their own steaks and put them out- which at Wal-Mart (typically) there is no-one that knows much about their products aside from where to put it on the shelves.

Yeah, well ... this is how things are going to be, sadly. Retailers are relying more and more on part-time help and grocery stores don't want to pay $15-$20 per hour for production when they can get comparable meat from a central processing and packing facility. There's also the cost of maintaining equipment that gets wonky here and there. Our automatic meat wrapper is a fickle bitch.

>> No.4506603

Also, I've thought about buying a cleaver. Mostly for use with poultry. We have an Indian guy who comes in and wants a chicken cut up into small pieces for curry. I'm done using the saw for this because I can crunch through the bones with a throwaway knife and I know a cleaver would work well. We also have a cranky woman who wants turkey thighs cut into four or five pieces. I've been using the saw for this but last week, my fingers got a little too close for comfort. It's okay if the thighs are a little frozen on the outside but if not, the skin gets caught and things can get squirrelly. Turkey bones are harder than chicken. Could I crunch through turkey bones with a cleaver and feel better and safer about myself?

>> No.4506609

>>4506543

Indeed. I can't argue with you on that. I think I'd rather pay a little more and have the people that are stocking shelves know about the meat rather than them stacking it, not using FIFO, and not being intelligent about product placement though.

I know that butchers are being weened out aside from large processing plants, but meat cutters are still definitely important members of the cycle in addition to general knowledge of one's department... I didn't mean to come off as a prick if I did in the quoted statement- but after being in the business it's hard to understand why people buy from companies that don't have their best interests in mind. Some of the plants are supposedly using 'meat glue' as well, and some are using dyes and other techniques to help keep their product red longer and appearing fresher for longer periods of time. I just don't understand why people don't notice or start losing trust in the market that's constantly hitting their wallets...

Equipment is definitely a concern for many companies. We still do wrapping by hand. Measure out the plastics, wrap it up, and heat seal it all. It takes a little more time, but it looks pretty nice when it's done. I guess that's one of the disadvantages of being from a smaller store.

I think most of the cutters at my store get ~$10-14 an hour, but your point is still very valid at the extra costs of hiring on people that know more and have a specialty skill set.

The counter workers typically start at minimum wage and get raises only when they deserve them. We also try to teach them about the products, but many of them refuse to learn- even though that makes them less valuable and less able to assist the customer. We're very customer service oriented, so it's sad to us when our staff doesn't want to learn about what they're selling. Though for minimum wage... I don't really blame them for the lack of interest either.

>> No.4506616

>>4506603

I'm extremely comfortable with a bandsaw, so it's hard for me to try to tell you to get away from it. I've seen people injured with cleavers and with bandsaw alike, so I'd wager the one you're more comfortable with is the better option for you. If all else fails, you can cut down the meat where you'd like to hit it with the cleaver down to the bone (or close, as to not dull your blade) and then just give it the final hit with the cleaver to separate the meat from the bone.

We used to have someone come in that would ask for a chicken breast (bone in) to be split into 6 pieces. We'd need to split the breast and then hack it apart into specific sized pieces... If I didn't have a cleaver or a saw, I would've lost my mind.

My take on using a cleaver was always this: If it's too thick to reliably use the cleaver with a one-stroke hit without using a lot of effort, it was better off on the saw- even if my fingers got a little close to the blade. Knowing that not everyone is as comfortable with the saw as I am though, you might want to use the other sections of the meat you're cutting to be your "buffer zone". If you put some pressure on the other pieces and keep the last piece in the center that needs to be cut, you can keep enough pressure on it (typically) to keep it moving through the saw while giving yourself a few extra inches in the process to keep your fingers back.

Skinned products really can be a pain in the ass- I know that all too well. I recommend separating the skin if the customer doesn't want it, as it would lead to a less troubling experience.

In regards to the curry chicken situation... If you hit most of the joints, you can use a regular blade without dulling it too much and not need to worry about sharpening it immediately after prepping the bird. There are some great techniques for 'loosening the joints' as well for making it easier to do a lot of the work in separating the bird out.

>> No.4506713

You don't come off as a prick. Not at all.

I'm comfortable with the saw and do things that I wouldn't ask someone else to do but I have my limits. I obviously know how to cut up a chicken at the joints but the guy wants it cut up into smaller pieces. And the turkey thigh woman wants the skin left on.

I'm just babbling and venting a bit. I had to close tonight and have to be up early. And it's getting late. Goodnight and thanks for your input.

>> No.4506746

OP, what's in your opinion the best cut for a steak? I like t-bone and eye fillet but am I missing out any other delectable cut

>> No.4506838

>>4506713

I figured you'd be on top of the chicken business. It's a shame when someone has to be "that guy" when they're ordering something though. A 3 minute fryer job can take 10 minutes if they make it a pain to work with.

We only sell boneless/skinless turkey thighs on a regular basis. Only around holidays do we have extra parts around. Points to you for dealing with it.

I'll be happy to listen to your vents/rants if you have more to tell. It's fun to talk about some of the customers you've had and the ridiculous tasks that are handed to you sometimes. I hope your shift runs smoothly tomorrow morning.

I'll be glad to give more input on other subjects if you have more questions for me. Just let me know.

>>4506746
Delmonico steaks are definitely a great steak, but they're well known. I guess not everyone likes them though- typically it seems people are either New York Strip people or Delmonico people. T-bone relates to NYS; so if you don't like Dels, that's alright. If you're buying a T-bone/Porterhouse, look for the center cut T-bone/Porterhouse. It'll have a medium amount of fillet on one side, and it'll have a nice strip on the other side without gristle/nerve sections on it. It's a sweet steak when you can find it. Another good one to pick is the Top Sirloin Steak (Sirloin Steak) and the Cap Steak (Sirloin Steakhouse Steak). They're both affordable, are fairly lean and tender, and taste delicious. For the money, typically you won't find a better steak- especially if they're on sale.

There are other steaks as well that would make the rankings, but those are my favorites.

>> No.4506905

>>4506838
Thanks! I usually have a sirloin each Saturday night for dinner and it is good value

>> No.4507099

hi butcher guy. do you think there are still undiscovered ways of cuts?

>> No.4507101

>>4506838
>typically it seems people are either New York Strip people or Delmonico people
is this actually a thing

all types of beef cuts are good types of beef cuts, damn it.

>> No.4507103

>>4500894
hi OP, can you send it to me too? dug.spak@gmail.com thanks a bunch!

>> No.4507110

asking /ck/ in general. i just read in a magazine that organic beef is better (in this case, grass fed) and said you could see it in the fat. basically, they said that beef that is otherwise organic have whiter slabs of fat, and grass fed beef fat has a yellower color to it. any truth or is it all just hokeypokey?

>> No.4507439

>>4506905
No problem.

>>4507099
There's always "new cuts" to discover. There's many different ideas of how to cut down a steer. There was actually a "new cut" found last year called the "Vegas Strip Steak". In terms of how the seams run and how the meat comes off of the animal naturally, I think we've got it nailed down. If you allow yourself to cut through those seams and run into different areas of the animal, your cuts are almost unlimited.

>>4507101
It *shouldn't* be a thing. They're both good pieces of meat. It's just that people tend to grow up with one or the other (at least, in my area) and it effects their choices for the rest of their life. Some people don't like the fatty marbling of the delmonico and think that the steak is "too fatty to eat" or a "waste of a purchase" because it has fat- not realizing that that's what makes the steak so damn good... And some people don't like NYS steaks because there's the nerve ending/gristle on the end(s). I think they're both valid pieces of meat, as do many people. Some people just don't seem to like one or the other. Maybe it's just in my hometown, but it's definitely a thing for some of the people around here.

>>4507103
Charts will be in your inbox in ~5 minutes.

>> No.4507441

>>4507110
There's a lot of BS that goes in articles with organic beef... Perfectly maintained organic beef is certainly a higher quality product. However, many people use Organic and Natural interchangeably. Natural is different from organic, but in this day and age people will try to sell their natural products as organic products, and that's where shit hits the fan.

An animal with a natural (for animals) lifestyle will obviously be a healthier than animals that are given things outside of their originally intended diet. Cows weren't originally brought up using corn, they ate and foraged anything they could get on the ground. Typically grasses, weeds, and other plant matter. Sometimes they'd snag something outside their scope, but grass feeding is certainly a lot more accurate than the fillers and feeds that many farmers use as the entire life cycle of the animals these days...

You can tell a difference between grass fed/organic and regular beef. You can even tell a little bit of a difference with natural vs regular beef. However, you must realize that the costs tend to be very high to move into the organic category, and it's not being used as a selling point regardless of the overall condition of the beefs involved. There are plenty of ill-conditioned organic animals that would be a lesser quality (for its grade) than a grade of regular beef. For instance, a lean "organic" meat might not taste as good as a choice angus meat... It's really, really complicated to look into the diagnostics of the beefs though. Yes, they're better (and better for you) if they have less crap pumped into them (big surprise there)- but they can also have less fat which is the building block of flavor, causing the flavor to be lesser. I don't believe the markings on organic meats are as tough as they should be when being marked for "select, choice, prime" etc. But if you had two steaks with the same marbling pattern, the organic steak would certainly be better than the non-organic one.

>> No.4507986

What's a good cut for beef jerky? Or maybe it doesn't matter.

>> No.4508204

Why is pork so hard to find in super markets for a low price, lowest I've seen is just ground pork for $3.50 a pound

>> No.4509225

>>4507986
I typically use a bottom round for jerky since it's cheap and easy to get. There are 'better cuts' for jerky, but they get expensive quickly when you consider that 1/3 of the weight you put in will actually be your jerky weight (on average).

**Bottom rounds and top rounds are typically what I advise for jerky.

>>4508204
There's a market for pork right now. For that reason, stores are raising their prices for their meats. Pork is also going up in the book pricing (slightly) which will alter the general store pricing as well. As items such as ground pork become more and more popular, the price goes up to ensure the profit margin or to close the 'lost cost' of more expensive items that sometimes end up in the grinder.

I think our ground pork is still under $3 a pound, but I'll bring back more accurate information tomorrow.

Pork in our area is one of the more affordable meats (next to chicken and turkey, of course), and there are often items for under $2/lb. If you're looking for the deal, assorted chops are typically cheap (cut from the roast ends of the bone-in loin) and so are pork butts. You can use that meat for all sorts of good stuff.

If you need help figuring out other cheap options, let me know.

If /ck/ has more question, I'll answer any of them that stack up tomorrow afternoon. I've got a 6 to 2 or 4 shift tomorrow, and I'm not sure which yet. Feel free to leave a cue of questions and I'll get to them all asap.

>> No.4509236

Could you post those informarshalls here anyway? So everyone can enjoy them?

>> No.4509327

Hey, Butcher man, I have two questions:

1: Would you mind emailing the informationals to me as well (some.dude@live.com)

2: Why the hell does no one carry bison/buffalo? At least where I am (FL).

>> No.4509709

hi butcher, do you think people in older times (ancient, medieval, etc) ate better in terms of meat quality? been thinking medicine was different then, but they might have had less chemicals in their food too.

>> No.4510655

(bumping from page 6 to keep this thread alive)

P's & T's - ScrapeScrapeScrapeScrape.

>> No.4510688

>>4500894
I'd like a copy as well, OP.

>> No.4510924

Just got home from my shift, it ended up being 12 hours- but I'm ready to answer more questions /ck/, so keep them coming.

**cued responses

>>4509236
I'd rather not make a rapidshare/other file sharing link for them. I'd rather have them be given to /ck/ users and not spill out into the general stream of internet users. Otherwise, I'd just be posting links to everything for everyone to have them.

I could, I suppose, post an additional picture with each post if you'd like. Let me know your thoughts on the matter.

>>4509327
- They'll be sent to you soon.
- I don't know. Quite a few places in my area sell bison/buffalo (typically bison). Maybe I'm just spoiled from my hometown. I know it's expensive, which is definitely a deterrent. I've seen ground bison as high as $10-11/lb.

>>4509709
I'm really not sure. The cattle might have had harsher lives or been eating things that weren't supposed to have been eaten by cattle. The food they were fed could've also had parasites and other issues as well. It'd be hard for me to claim that older generation's meat would've been of a higher quality.

I'll ask around and see if anyone I know has more information on that though...

>>4510655
Thanks!

>>4510688
They're on their way.

>>4503951
I'll get those pictures for you tomorrow, I'm sorry anon. I was too busy today to be able to take those pictures of the chicken wing. I'll do my best to get it tomorrow for you.

With those out of the way, let the evening's questioning commence.

>> No.4511019

>>4509327
>Why the hell does no one carry bison/buffalo? At least where I am (FL).

Good luck with that. I'm in PA and my store carries ground bison and bison medallions which are nothing more than small portions of top round london broil. And the prices have risen to ~$10/lb. Fuck That. There are some bison farms around here and I'd like to try a nice rib steak but I haven't gone out and about yet.

>> No.4511045

>>4511019
PA must be a lucky state... They've got a lot of everything with their farming culture. A good bit of bison, grass-fed beef, and a multitude of other agricultural possibilities. Ironstone Spring Farm is a decent beef purveyor from what I've been told (for PA's sake). The prices are somewhat high though. Then again, most specialty beef is.

>> No.4511047

Should my butcher know the difference between a broiler/fryer and a roaster chicken? Should I be concerned if they don't? Are there some terminologies I could use to get better service?

>> No.4511087

>>4511047

I'm not OP, but YES the butcher should certainly know the difference between them. Though, these days most whole chickens are fryers, the next most common would be an "old hen" aka "stewing hen". broilers and roasters aren't available in all areas, but you should always be able to find fryers and old hens. A generic "whole chicken" is a fryer unless labeled otherwise, and can be cooked by any method, not just frying.

>> No.4511091

>>4511047
Frying chickens and Roasting chickens are often misinterpreted. Most times they're known as "fryers are smaller (3-4 lbs typically)" and "roasters are larger (7-8 lbs typically at our store)". Some people argue that they're different types of chicken and a whole side-list of issues. If your butcher can't tell a large chicken from a small one, he probably has more than one concern ;). Though regionally and even from city to city the ideas of what certain meat items are change. It's hard to give one set system and go with it.

Hmm... terms for better service... I'll have to think about that one and get back to you if I can think of any. In my experience, we appreciate the customers that know what they want instead of prattling along until they can ask enough questions to figure out what they're interested in. If you ask your butcher for a specific cut of meat and then ask them for assistance picking a better one, or what would make for a better roast, steak, etc. I'll think about terminology, as I've never considered that from a customer's perspective.

>> No.4513020

>>4511045
>Ironstone Spring Farm is a decent beef purveyor from what I've been told (for PA's sake). The prices are somewhat high though. Then again, most specialty beef is.

The name sounds familiar but I don't know anything about them, let alone them being from Lancaster County. I have no idea what a side of beef should cost but their prices seem reasonable if they do a good job of it. I'd be willing to give it a try if I had a family to feed or a big-ass freezer.

>> No.4513056 [DELETED] 

Good afternoon /ck/. I'll be around for the rest of the afternoon and early evening if anyone has anything to ask me. Looking forward to your questions.

In regards to previous questions/remarks...
>>4510924
>>4503951

We had no fryers, roasters, or split chickens today due to the holiday tomorrow. We only had party style wings (already split)... so I decided I'd get a link for you, but the filter won't let me. Look for howstuffworks butcher and chicken wings to find the link it has pictures of positioning, where to cut, and what it will look like (essentially what I would've done anyway).

>>4513020
The price of a side of beef varies by location. Typically if you can afford it/need a lot of meat, it's not a bad idea to buy in bulk (a side). It ends up being ridiculously cheap compared to other forms of meat purchasing- but you also end up with a lot of product sitting around for a good duration of time. Hopefully you'd have a chest freezer (or two) if you were buying a side of beef.

I believe the website said that they sell their products at a few local markets in that area as well. Perhaps a grocery store and a market. I'm not 100% sure anymore. Either way, if you were interested, I'm sure you could find out a little bit more about them if you're in that area.

With those covered, let the afternoon's questioning begin.

>> No.4513068

Good afternoon /ck/. I'll be around for the rest of the afternoon and early evening if anyone has anything to ask me. Looking forward to your questions.

In regards to previous questions/remarks...
>>4510924
>>4503951

We had no fryers, roasters, or split chickens today due to the holiday tomorrow. We only had party style wings (already split)... so I decided I'd get a link for you, but the filter won't let me. Look for howstuffworks butcher and chicken wings to find the link it has pictures of positioning, where to cut, and what it will look like (essentially what I would've done anyway).

>>4513020
The price of a side of beef varies by location. Typically if you can afford it/need a lot of meat, it's not a bad idea to buy in bulk (a side). It ends up being ridiculously cheap compared to other forms of meat purchasing- but you also end up with a lot of product sitting around for a good duration of time. Hopefully you'd have a chest freezer (or two) if you were buying a side of beef.

I believe the website said that they sell their products at a few local markets in that area as well. Perhaps a grocery store and a market. I'm not 100% sure anymore. Either way, if you were interested, I'm sure you could find out a little bit more about them if you're in that area.

With those covered, let the afternoon's questioning begin.

>> No.4513072
File: 41 KB, 500x325, aberdeen_angus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4500647

I really hate that cow. He's such a race-traitor. Fucking uncle Tom house nigger motherfucker.

>> No.4513086
File: 109 KB, 750x580, Angus Beef Chart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4513072
Yeah, that's some shit, isn't it?

Something will always sell out their own kind if it means their own preservation.

>> No.4513104

(a little off topic)

Easy like a Sunday morning - a day in the life of an assistant meat manager. (not that anything is ever easy)

Price changes, hanging tags, repricing sale items, break down the day's delivery, helping the part-time kid stock the hot dog case, wait on some customers. I didn't have to do the morning grind or make kabobs and burgers for the service case. Our main cutter had everything under control and there were others to pick up the slack, if needed. It made me feel kind of useless.

>> No.4513151

>>4513104

That sounds pretty nice. Feeling a little useless (relaxed) at times is a good thing. I'd say to enjoy those moments while you can. They're few and far between for many people in departments like that. You need both sides of the coin.

My store was busy today and there were many things for everyone to do. Customers were making some high demands too; some of which weren't possible with what was currently stocked. It's always fun trying to explain to customers why what they want isn't plausible or possible sometimes. They're not very understanding. Typically they take it out on the counter workers anyway though. Sucks to work out front.

>> No.4513153
File: 224 KB, 925x300, cow_proper_mad_cow_bwoy_him_vex.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4513086

At least he doesn't look happy about it - that other fucker's smiling his little collaborator face off.

>> No.4513524

Hey butcher bro, what's your most favorite burger? Do you mix meat cuts before grinding or anything?

>> No.4513581

What is the name of the cut of Beef ribs that you get a Korean Restaurants. I used to be able to get them at Sam's Club, but I no longer have one in my area and I never see them cut that way at the local butcher, just "country style" without any bones.

>> No.4513639

>>4513151
thats what you make all that minimum wage for. get shit on by the earners when you cant fill their order

>> No.4513643

What's the best cut for jerky, and which direction do you slice it in?

>> No.4513661

>>4513581
Those are just short ribs cut across the ribs instead of between them. A little research says some butchers call them "flanken" though "Asian style" might get you the same thing.

>> No.4514067

>>4513524

Favorite burger? Probably something around 85% if I'm making it myself. I'll pick specific pieces of meat though to mix together in order to get the right flavor and the right texture though. If color is important to whomever I'm making it for, I can also alter the cuts that are involved to change the end color.

>>4513581
Short Ribs sound like they should be the correct cut for what you're looking for (as >>>>4513661 mentioned). Short Ribs come from the Chuck primal (specifically off of the Chuck Roll- as my training went). They've got good marbling and can be pretty tasty.

We only use "Country Style" and "boneless Country Style" to describe pork ribs at our store. I could see people using the designation for both though.

>>4513639
I don't think you're supposed to make minimum wage to take abuse from customers that didn't have their orders completed/properly done by the butchers. A butcher's screw up shouldn't directly effect how people treat the front staff/counter staff. Also, the front staff doesn't order; so when the store runs out of something I don't feel as though the people on the counter should be beat like a dead horse for it... which is what typically happens. It's a shame that that's how people view minimum wage counter workers though; but that's how it is.

>> No.4514080

>>4513643
In regards to jerky- there are many approaches and ideals behind making jerky. Some people use Flank Steak, some people use Top Rounds, some people use Bottom Rounds, and other people use everything else.

In terms of effective jerky making, I saw a trimmed Bottom Round is hard to beat unless your pockets are lined. The process of making jerky means that you'll only keep about 1/3 of your original meat weight once it's shrunk into jerky.

The direction of cutting is also dependent on who taught you, and why they wanted to teach you that way. Some people I know cut cross-grain (straight), some cut cross-grain (diagonal), and some people cut with the grain. It really depends on how you want it to shred/fall apart when you're chomping on it.

I've done it many different ways, and have enjoyed it each time I've made it. So long as it's properly trimmed and you know how big you want your strips to be and how you want them to come apart, there really is no "best way" to cut the jerky. I'll typically cut cross-grain (diagonally) when I make it though.

Most of the keys to a great jerky comes from the marinade/smoking; so keep that in mind as well. Making jerky can be expensive and there's a definite "science" to making it perfectly; but it's a fun learning curve and in the end it will be a bit cheaper than buying it from a store.

>> No.4514082

>>4500647
>>4500647
What do you think is optimal doneness for pork tenderloin?

>> No.4514111

>>4514082

While preparedness is something that is completely up to each individual as a cook and as an eater... I typically have my pork tenderloins cooked to around medium. If it's still got some pink in the middle, I'm alright with that. Just make sure you're buying from a quality retailer and you won't have as much to worry about with cooking it less than well done. I believe my uncle claimed medium-rare was all it needed to be cooked deliciously and to be excessively tender, but I tend to cook it just a little more.

There's certainly arguments for the "proper doneness" of all sorts of meat; so obviously the above is just from my personal experience. I'm not sure if there's a definitive answer for you, but if there is, I haven't learned it yet. I just know how my uncle and I have cooked them for years, and they've been great thus far.

>> No.4514466

Oh man, you're back! I remember the first thread you decided to do here. You are a true bro among bros, and I cannot thank you enough. I'm leaving my email in hopes I can score those informational charts.

Thank you again for all the useful information and probably answering the same 5 questions over and over. You really do make this board a better place.

>> No.4515075

>>4514466
They'll be in your inbox within in the next 5 minutes.

Good morning /ck/, and happy Memorial Day (for those of us whom celebrate it). I'll be around throughout the day to check the thread; so if you have more questions for me please feel free to ask.

>> No.4516238

>>4515075
Last bump I'll give the thread if there's no interest. It's certainly been fun up to this point /ck/. Thanks for the questions thus far, and if there are any more, please ask.

>> No.4516248

>>4516238

Hey Butcher, awesome thread. Before this 404s, I may set up a disposable email if you're still willing to send me some of those documents. In the middle of cooking right now so I can't make it through the whole process.

>> No.4516251

>>4516248
Please feel free to create a disposable at any time. So long as the thread is alive, my offer still remains. I'll probably be up for a few more hours tonight, so take your time cooking. I won't be going anywhere soon.

>> No.4516361

>>4516251
I hope you haven't answered this question but still, since I'm late I'd rather bump and then go back to read the thread.

What do you think of argentinian cuts?
Have you seen local type cuts that would be interesting?

>> No.4516417

>>4516251
Hey Mr. Butcher!

I've been following your threads for a good long time now; they've been very informative, so thank you. The board's better for having you around. It's also been a great eye-opener as I'm from a country where butchers are seemingly only found in artfully designed, cleverly named shops with an endless stream of puffed up yuppie customers (because the prices assure them that they won't have to rub shoulders with the plebs).

(also I posted the youtube link re: the poultry deli meats question some time back)

Anyway, question time: would you have any idea where to begin if I wanted to find out more about less common/well-known traditions of butchery?

Email in field for delicious informationals.

>> No.4516502

>>4516361
that's me and now I've read the whole thread so obviously you have already answered.

>>4516361
What I would like to ask is how do you differentiate between the beef grease that will melt and the one that won't ?

What is a cheap cut of beef to use for roasting, I mean proper roasting over hot coals?

What kind of dish would you suggest for a dutch oven, especially beef or pork?

>> No.4517166

What's the best bang for the buck when you just want to have some meat-based protein?

>> No.4517204

>>4516417
The charts will be in your inbox shortly.
I will answer your questions when I get home from the daily grind today.

>>4516502
I'll answer your questions as soon as I get home this afternoon/evening.

>>4517166
I'll also answer your question when I get home.

Sorry I am unable to answer these immediately, but I must be into work shortly. I'll also answer anyone else's questions that are posted by the time I get back from work. Thanks for everyone's participation in this thread /ck/.

>> No.4517331

>>4517204
I got another question

Tendon, I've seen it used in chinese cuisine but have never tried it, have you used it, is it something you deal (scrap) with regularly or does the meat get delivered without them.

If you have handled it, is it really strong?
I have heard that native indians used it (maybe bison), to sow clothes and I'm interested.

Also about the neck, is it easy to take off from the bone? is it tasty? do you think it would work well as ground beef?

>> No.4517347

>>4517331
no OP here but I can tell you that tendón Works great. Beef tendón is a bit greasy, though. If you want to use it like thread the backstrap sheet of tendon Works best. It is a royal pain in the ass reducing it into fiber.

>> No.4517461

>>4517331
>Also about the neck, is it easy to take off from the bone? is it tasty? do you think it would work well as ground beef?

I guess it depends on how you get it but in my opinion, it's not worth the time and effort to get the meat off the bone for ground beef. It's better used for stew or stock on the bone. You should be able to find boneless cuts of beef on sale that would be better for ground beef.

We used to get beef neck bones at our store but they were discontinued a while ago. I'm thinking it was a belated response to mad cow disease? I don't know. They usually sold but it's not like we have any requests for them. I know it's important to sell every part of the animal but neck bones are garbage as far as I'm concerned. Then again, we sell the shit out of pork neckbones and pig feets.

>> No.4517471

>>4517461

all of that stuff you called "garbage" makes fantastic stock.

>> No.4517555

>>4517471
>all of that stuff you called "garbage" makes fantastic stock.

Yes, of course. But I, like most people, want to eat good food rather than rendering scraps.

>> No.4517584

>>4517555
>want to eat good food

Yes, that's why you make your own stock. Your soups, stews, and sauces will taste much much better with it.

>> No.4518390

>>4516417
I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread.
To answer your question: less common/well known traditions of butchery might be found in a library or via a public search on the internet. If you have some old school butchers in your area (aside from the 'yuppie' ones), you might be able to dig out some information from them too about how it was when they learned. Sometimes they'll be able to tell you about how it was 2 or 3 generations before they were cutting.

>>4516502
I'm actually not super sure on beef greases. That might be a better question to ask a chef on /ck/. I can, however, tell you about your roasts. If you're going to do a coal/fire cooked roast, I'd say go with the bottom round flat (the whole piece) also called the whole bottom round. The outside will charcoal up a little, but the interior should still be pretty decent if you're simmering it over the fire for hours and slow cooking it. You definitely want a piece that's thicker so that the interior can still be closer to medium and the outside will be more cooked for those who prefer more cooked meats. I've not tried others, but I'm sure the whole top round would also work (inside round) as well as a few other cuts. The bottom round is typically cheaper than the inside round though, so I'd pick the one that's on sale.
As for the dutch oven, I'd say if you want it to shred, chuck roasts (beef) and butt roasts (pork) are the best. If you want it to stay together... Bottom round/rump roasts/bolar roasts are pretty solid for beef, and for pork I'd say go with a loin roast or a rib roast.

>>4517166
The best bang for the buck is whatever is cheapest on the menu as far as beef and pork go. As far as chicken is concerned, I'd say the best bang for the buck is the whole fryer. Typically you can find them for $1.29-1.59/lb when they're not on sale, and sometimes $.99/lb when they're on sale. If you know how to break them down, you'll have meals for a few days and you'll get your protein at a steal of a deal.

>> No.4518416

>>4517331
I have never used it, and it's not something that shows up at the store where I work. When I'm butchering I run into it and people usually throw it away after I leave (since they ask what it's for and then they sound disgusted when I tell them). I haven't used it in my trim bucket for grinds either, though I'd consider using it if the store allowed hanging carcasses.
It's definitely a tougher piece to the touch as far as meat goes. I think the native cultures used tendon, and turned it into sinew and then they sewed with it. Crazy stuff.
And as >>4517347 mentioned, it's kind of a pain to turn it into proper pieces for using for additional products/activities.
As far as the neck/neck meat is concerned, it's not too hard to shave the meat off the neck, but I'd do neck steaks if you're going to be cooking them in a crock pot. That way you're not losing the bone's marrow and flavor from your broth and the meat will be infused with it. It's definitely delicious soup. Ox tail and neck stews are great. So are cheek stews if you're not afraid to try it. Cheek meat/bones are good for stews too.

As far as it being used for ground beef... I'm sure it works, but it's more of a stewing meat in my opinion that is better left in tact to serve for that purpose.

>>4517347
Thanks for the assist.

>>4517461
I agree with this post (stew meat, not ground beef). Thanks for the help.

If you haven't tried neck soup lately, I'd recommend giving it another try. It actually turns out pretty well. If you're selling just the bone (no meat), it's not as good... Marrow bones are typically what I use if I'm making a beef stock though.

>>4517471
Indeed. Bones definitely make a solid stock, but some bones are said to be better than others. Maybe it's just individual preference, maybe it's an actual fact. I'm not a chef; so I have to go by what I was told when I was trained in... But I know bones (regardless) go toward a good stock.