[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 7 KB, 228x221, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4414041 No.4414041[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

ITT; dishes you love, but can never get right when you make it yourself ;_;

for me...

mac and cheese. I've attempted mac and cheese atleast 5 times and ended up with gross, curdled results. I've grated blocks of cheese, tried evaporated milk, full fat milk, and it still comes up all gross, gunky, and curdled.

>> No.4414066

Do you use a roux? It's the foundation of a good cheese sauce.

>> No.4414145

>>4414041
Lower the heat m8

>> No.4414154

>>4414041
How I make the cheese sauce
>roux
>add COLD milk
>whisk until there are no lumps
>take the pot off the heat, let it sit for a minute or two
>THEN add the cheese
>season to your liking

>> No.4414191

mac and cheese sucks

you have to get the baked kind taht has no cheese sauce its baked all the way

>> No.4414207

I like curry, but I can never get it right. I have problems with uneven cooking of the ingredients and under/over-seasoning. I've tried 5-7 times and failed, but I'll try again.

OP, do you leave the heat on while you stir in the cheese? Do you pour cold milk over the warm cheese & noodles? Maybe you're over thinking it? Mac & cheese can be made by stirring cubes of cheese together with hot noodles and nothing else.

>> No.4414224

I can honestly say I haven't fucked up on cooking something I like, even if it's just experimenting.
Though there was my first time I roasted a chicken and accidentally about a 1/2 cup of salt into the rub before I realized the rub recipe I was using was for 4 small ducks.
It still came out tasty and tender, but the gravy had to be diluted to the point where I ended up with nearly a gallon of gravy out of a cups worth of drippings.
I'd do it all again with significantly less salt or even none.

>> No.4414228

>>4414041

Butter chicken... Oh you elusive wench!

>> No.4414284

>>4414066
>>4414154
This, just make a mornay, using whole milk. Won't hurt to sweat onions in the butter for the roux before for more flavor. Also nutmeg. Lots of nutmeg. As for no lumps, I like cold milk too, just make sure to add in slowly at first.

>> No.4414656

mac and cheese. Spoonful of butter, melt, add heaped teaspoon of flour, mix, let cook, even brown a little. Add HEATED milk and whisk for a good while. Add grated cheese, salt, pepper and tiny bit of mustard ( enhances cheese flavor). Mix with pasta, put grated cheese on top, grill till golden.

>> No.4415510

>>4414228

So much THIS. There's a youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD9O-L2Xvzo)) that's pretty damn good but nowhere near as delicious as the Indian restaurant down the street. I've tried so many recipes but true butter chicken still eludes me as well.