[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 165 KB, 500x374, 6864874599_ef155ded62.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4339391 No.4339391 [Reply] [Original]

What do you think of meat-substitute products like this one?

I was skeptical at first. I ate a lot of Tyson chicken patty sandwiches. Then I looked at the nutrition info for those vs. MorningStar patties and Quorn patties and there was a huge difference. Lower calories, lower fat, lower sodium, more protein, just generally healthier.

More expensive but worth it. And the "grilled" ones aren't bad either, they actually manage to have a good fake grilled taste. I'm no vegetarian or anything, just trying to be healthier without learning to really cook (not interested).

>> No.4339411

If you want healthy, go for Dr. Praeger's veggie burgers. High in fiber and protein, low sodium and sugar, etc.

Boca has good veggie burgers, too.

>> No.4339412

>>4339411

I tried Boca because they were the cheapest but I guess there's a reason they're the cheapest because I thought they tasted like shit. MorningStar was definitely better and Quorn was better than both of them but more expensive.

>> No.4339415

I like MorningStar (the black bean burgers are my favorite) the most because they don't include cheese. I'm not vegan, but I don't eat my regular burgers with cheese in them, so why the hell would I want my fake ones with cheese in them? Retards.

>> No.4339434
File: 23 KB, 200x200, falafel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4339456

They suck. Many of them contain far more additives and preservatives than what they are attempting to replace.

Want a patty? Use meat. Form it yourself. There is only one ingredient, and zero bullshit fillers.

Vegetarian? Use a portabello mushroom cap. Likewise, only one ingredient, zero bullshit fillers and additives.

Don't like the taste of a mushroom cap? Learn to cook it properly rather than looking for boxed shit.

>> No.4339478

It pisses me off that they're still so expensive. I liked seeing the whole row of tofu varieties in Chinese supermarkets. These little briquette ones were perfect in stir fry, and they cost about $0.20 a pound, if that.

>> No.4339482

>>4339478
>not making your own burgers

>> No.4339483

I like their garden patties, they dont try to be meat and they are still pretty good. Their beef substitute is awful

>> No.4339691

>>4339483

Generally I find that fake chicken is better than fake beef.

>> No.4339696

>>4339456
A million times this.

also,
> just trying to be healthier without learning to really cook (not interested).
GTFO

>> No.4339714

>>4339391

i think their grillers and griller prime burgers smell a little bit like fried chicken when you cook them in the microwave. unfortunately i prefer their taste over boca burgers, but i prefer the texture of boca burgers over these.

I chop these and boca burgers up to make meat crumbles and add them to anything that calls for ground meat. Boca burgers are spectactular in lasagnas and other red sauces imo.

Never tried quorn or any of the meat crumble products. Tofurkey sausages are pretty bad except for their italian sausages.. which kind of taste like chef boyardee. tofurkey deli meats are a good subsititute for deli meat, they have a lot less sodium than deli meat and are still pretty tasty. although.. i think i have only tried their turkey deli meat.. maybe? i don't remember. i cut carbs outto a large degree and I don't do the deli sandwich thing very often anymore. I usually eat those burger patties as a protein side to a salad, sometimes with a little ketchup.

>> No.4339716

It's doing it wrong if it's trying to taste like meat. Meat substitutes never win. Veggie burgers can be great, but seriously, don't even try to imitate

though breaded 'chicken' nuggets can taste just fine
>but that's because breaded chicken nuggets from a box taste like nothing anyways