[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 457 KB, 1000x1500, tomates-toasted-bread.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4338447 No.4338447 [Reply] [Original]

before i used alton's recipe to create some really good shit, i winged it and used the following 'recipe' (really just me throwing stuff together):

-6 eggs (with the whites included)
-1 cup sugar
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-2 cups of whole milk (1 cup to which i later added another)
-some pureed strawberries

now, alton's recipe includes 8 egg yolks, 3 cups of half-and half, and 1 cup of heavy cream. can i thaw this out, add 2 cups of heavy cream, and 2 egg yolks and save it? or will the whites have fucked things up?

pic almost completely unrelated

>> No.4338454

>>4338447
>vertical recipe image
>no use of the word 'motherfuckers'
>no failed attempts at humor

how refreshing

>> No.4338469

did you heat it before freezing?

>> No.4338478

Make panzanella. gut the tomatoes and put the gooey seed shit in a cheeseclothe bag, soak it in water over night. squeze its dry in the later. dice the bread stale or not, soak it in the water get em soggy enough but don't let them met into water then pour it on an oiled sheet pan and bake it dry.

>> No.4338491

>>4338447
My guess is that the whites have/will fuck it up. They coagulate at a lower temperature than the yolks so I'm guessing you won't be able to make it into a proper custard.
Also you should just use a Vanilla Tahitensis bean instead of extract. Much more flavor.

I use
450ml whole cream
200ml whole milk
150ml sugar
6 egg yolks
1 Polynesian vanilla bean
pinch of salt

but I'm new to making vanilla ice cream

>> No.4338519

>>4338469
yes, cooked sous vide to 140 or 145 (can't remember which) so as not to coagulate the whites.

captcha: machine sLicey

>> No.4338520

Don't use whole eggs for the future. Also, don't sub vanilla extract for vanilla bean, the flavor will never be right.

As far as salvaging anything, You'd have to actually make something with it before you know what to adjust with.

>> No.4338528

>>4338519
Why go though the process of sous videing when you can just temper the eggs with half the effort? Also your ice cream will probably come out too liquidy in which case you should probably just do the whole thing over again. Cook it to 180 as well.

>> No.4338535
File: 29 KB, 317x384, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4338447
trying to make frozen custard I seen on TV

have an awesome ice cream maker machine, any of you niggers got an easy recipe for it? tried normal custard from teh shops but doesnt freeze and once it does goes back to slop.

need a thickener or something?

>> No.4338605

>>4338519
that's what, like 60 celsius, next time do about 80 and just use a saucepan or bömmary if you want to be careful, anyway you can't make ice cream from your mix, but add some flour and make a cake so as not to waste good ingredients

>> No.4338832

>>4338535

you can't use custard mix from the shop, you'll need to make a proper egg custard.

a quick search reveals this recipe:

6 eggs, 2 cups of milk, 3/4 cup of sugar, 3 tbspns honey, 2 cups of whipping cream, 1 tbspn vanilla extract.

in a saucepan, beat together the eggs, milk, honey, and sugar. Cook over a low heat until the mixture can coat the back of a spoon. Chill quickly by setting the pan in ice water, then transfer to a bowl and chill in the fridge for about an hour.

put your custard, cream and vanilla into your ice-cream maker and chill and mix (mix a few minutes, chill for an hour, repeat) until you have the texture you want.