[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 20 KB, 323x425, MokaPot2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4324053 No.4324053 [Reply] [Original]

Morning /ck/
I'm thinking of getting one of these.
I was wondering how powerful the coffee is
Is the coffee that comes out of it as strong as regular espresso?
Or is it kinda of in between an espresso and regular brewed coffee?

>> No.4324064

>>4324053
Shit is almost as strong as espresso and even has a nice foam from the pressure forcing the liquid up through the filters. Make sure to keep the thing on as low heat as possible so that you're not destroying the coffee. If you treat it right it should serve you for years.

>> No.4324074

>>4324064

*decades

Mine in from late 60's and I still brew coffee with it reguraly.

>> No.4324101

It depends on how much or little you put into it. A full pot of water with full coffee makes it like espresso, less coffee then it's like a superior drip but at that rate you might as well make an americano or something.

>> No.4324110

My dad bought me one of these back in high school because I couldn't master the ratio required to brew a single cup in his 8-cup French Press.

Fucking ADORE that thing. It's technically an espresso maker -- mine is a little larger than the one in your pic, and touts itself as a 3-cup maker. It fills one standard sized mug, though.

So, if you fill the water and coffee chambers, you're making espresso. Less coffee = closer to americano.

Start it with the heat on medium-high until it juuuuust starts to boil (it will make noise).

Then turn the heat down to slow or medium low and wait.

Mmmmm, so good.

If you want a latte, it's a simple matter to make some whipped cream or steamed milk foam or whatever your preference is.

I bought some coffee extract recently, and made coffee whipped cream to top off my pancakes and coffee in the morning. If you add a tad of geletin while you whip, it will keep in the fridge for a few days.

So gooooood.

>> No.4324138

i've got a 6 cup pot
pretty sure it means six espresso cups, because one pot fits into one regular mug

that's six shots of coffee in a single mug

my mornings are SUPER CHARGED.

>> No.4324543

My grandmother gave me one of those when I moved away for college. It's called a machinetta.

It doesn't make "real" espresso, but it's good enough for me. I absolutely adore it. I replace the gasket every few months. I also have a thing that you heat milk up in, and it has a lid with a mesh screen/plunger piece for you to foam the milk with.

In the mornings I like to have macchiatos the way my grandparents made them, with sugar in the milk. After dinner I like to drink espresso with a little anisette poured in. Mmmm.

>> No.4324561
File: 11 KB, 250x250, gb-moka-pot-250.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've got a "3c" one. Tips:
- Don't use soap and water to clean, a thin layer of coffee oil will protect your drink from metal flavors
- Pre-heat water in a kettle first, pour into base to the bottom of the pressure gasket. Starting from cold water in the moka pot itself leads to metal flavors
- Use fresh-ground coffee, not quite as fine as espresso grind, but slightly finer than paper filter.
- Pour ground coffee into filter, lightly mounding in the center, make sure no grounds are on metal rim, do not tamp down
- Let coffee flow until liquid touches the bottom of V-shape spout (color will be of whipped honey). Dip moka pot base into cold water to prevent over-extraction.
- Easiest to clean right away, before coffee dries/stains metal

>> No.4324565

I call that a moka pot, and while I disagree with the assertion that it makes espresso, it does come quite close. Closer than anything else. The strength will be very intense if you use the max amount of grounds properly ground.

>> No.4324969

If you use regular coffee at normal concentration, will it taste the same as a press ?

>> No.4326939

The coffee is as strong as regular Espresso. However, keep in mind you shouldn't use a detergent to wash these. Just water. It needs to form a patina, otherwise the metallic taste won't go away. And then you should use them erryday. Otherwise the oils in the patina spoil and you have to wash is with a detergent and restart the cycle. Your first batches will taste like metal in any case.

>> No.4326980
File: 198 KB, 720x1280, Screenshot_2013-03-19-12-17-02.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/ck/ pls

>> No.4329066
File: 5 KB, 251x201, delonghi emke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have an electric one for the office
>ywyl