[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 156 KB, 500x375, quinoa-image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4276894 No.4276894 [Reply] [Original]

I've been thinking about getting some quinoa and I was wondering what your opinions on it were. Things like the general texture of it, the best things to make with it, the most I should spending, and anything I should be aware of before cooking with it.

>> No.4276983

>>4276894
wash it, rinse it, then rinse it again
rinse it in so much water that you start wondering why you've been in the kitchen for so long and haven't cooked anything yet
then rinse it some more
it's got this soapy stuff on it that tastes like, well, soap, but a bit like sperm as well and it's also got a bitter aftertaste
fucking disgusting stuff

>> No.4276997

love quinoa
red quinoa tabouleh is pretty amazing or even a cold quinoa salad with some green onions & other veg & a light viniagrette dressing

>> No.4277741

Bumping for interest.

I cook it with carrots and spinach and eat it with lentils/chickpeas or fish/chicken.

>> No.4277748

Umm...

I feel retarded, but what is quinoa and how does one cook with it?

It looks like some kind of mixture between rice and stuffing.

>> No.4277762
File: 306 KB, 419x333, spongebob shit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4276894
bumping because I bought a pound of quinoa and I need to know what the hell to do with it.

>> No.4277861
File: 32 KB, 250x239, seen some shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4277762
bumpan. I know you can cook it just like you do with rice, except with a fine mesh strainer and washing it since it's good to buy in bulk

>> No.4278528
File: 19 KB, 300x225, quinoa_lentil_salad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I once tried a lentils/quinoa hamburger and it was quite nice. I'll get some quinoa next time I go to the groceries and will try to make them.

>> No.4278539

>>4276894

I actually don't like quinoa. It's super nutritive, but I just don't like it. I could incorporate it in other stuff, but I wouldn't eat it as a primary ingredient or if it wasn't part of something like a stew or a soup. It's just really unpleasant to eat.

Let's look at peruvian quinoa recipes!

>> No.4278551

I make it for breakfast a few times a week. 4 parts whole milk to 1 part quinoa, a stick of cinnamon, and a spoon of honey or sugar. cook on super low heat, covered, until all the milk is absorbed.

for dinner and lunch I usually just cook it in chicken stock and serve it alongside whatever else.

>> No.4278561

>>4277748

It's a grain that is high and protein. You can basically cook it like you do rice. It's kind of like a woody tasting brown rice.

>> No.4278562

>>4277762
Cook it like rice, in a small pot with about a 2.5:1 ratio of water to quinoa. It makes a sort of porridge that takes like (wonder bread + corn + sesame + rotting lettuce + semen).

>> No.4278563

>>4278561

technically, not a grain. also if you cook it like rice it will be mushy and gross. about 15 minutes is ideal, vs 20+ minutes for typical rice.

>> No.4278575

>>4276894

A lot of it seems to be just that. Stews, european style, middle-eastern style, and soups, somewhat asian-looking. I also see it prepared like some rice dishes, mexican rice style and rice salads. There are also a lot of north-african-like dishes, couscous-like dishes with dried fruits, nuts and herbs. A few attempts at desserts, quinoa pudding, quinoa used in lieu of cakes in some layered-in-glass assemblies.

I guess you could cook it and mix it with nutritional yeast flakes, salt, pepper, oil and water to make a kind of quinoa and cheese. Quinoa sushi might be possible. I see quinoa-stuffed peppers, quinoa bread. I guess you could make it thai, with kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, coconut and mango. That's a salad, though. Which we've already seen. I also see quinoa burgers, quinoa stuffed cabbage leaves. I guess you could make quinoa falafels. I also see quinoa porridge, something that looks like a quinoa dumpling, in sauce. I think you could make something interesting with it with jelly, if you stir the jelly before it sets so the quinoa ends up in suspension in the jelly. Quinoa "custards", like tapioca puddings. There's also quinoa fritters, quinoa muffins. I guess you could use milled quinoa to dust things like pizzas and breads.

Yeah, so a lot of things to do with quinoa. I hope this helps!

>> No.4278590

I treat it like I would oatmeal after I've cooked it.

I mix in some natty peanut butter and eat it. I realize it can be used in a similar fashion as, say, rice or couscous.. I just haven't used it that way, I bought it just to try something different and more nutritious than oats.

>tfw pleb but it tastes fine and fits my macros

Can't complain, I guess. I've definitely had worst breakfasts.

>> No.4279747

You guise really use this as oatmeal? Cant picture that...

>> No.4279825

Wash the fuck out of it. I put it in the pot I'm going to use and then submerge in enough water to let it move freely, then use a whisk to beat it around. Drain and repeat 4 times or so. Then while boiling, I scoop off the foam layer that forms on the top of the water. Happens about 3 times usually.

I like eating it with mushrooms and garlic.

>> No.4279840

Quinoa eaters are horrible people.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/16/vegans-stomach-unpalatable-truth-quinoa

>> No.4279847

>>4279840
That's been debunked a million fucking times. gb2tumblr

>> No.4279863

>>4279840
I went to that link thinking it was going to tell me that quinoa is bad for me in some horrible way. Instead I learn that there is just more of it to eat because the poor can't buy it anymore.

>> No.4279869

>>4279840
Lol vegans and meat-eaters blaming each other. The west is a beautiful civilization.

>> No.4279922

had a girlfriend who was allergic to just about all the enjoyable foods. gluten, nightshades, dairy. she ate a lot of quinoa. she cooked a few things for me with it, including that quinoa pasta brand. i hated it, tasted like shit. and it came out of my ass like it were indian food, but without actually enjoying eating it to begin with.

point is it sucks. enjoy