[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 224 KB, 400x300, 435609.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4267979 No.4267979 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /ck/, I know this isn't completely food related, but at what age did you move out? What was the hardest part? Did you know how to cook for yourself when you left?

>> No.4267989

moved out at 19. adjusting to having bills was the toughest by far. it was the first time i ever had to worry about whether there'd be enough food for the month, if rent would be paid, etc.

i knew how to cook a little, but i've learned a lot since (eating the same 3 meals over and over gets old as shit.

>> No.4268014

I moved out at 22 but I had been doing my own laundry, cooking, money-making, etc for years already so nothing was really a surprise.

The hardest part was dealing with illness/injury on my own and having to deal with insurance/doctors, since my family works in insurance and usually did all that for me.

>> No.4268022

I moved out at 19 when I went to Uni.

I was sort of eased in to cooking because on campus there was a dining hall that would serve you one free meal a day. But it was so shitty that I ended up choosing to cook a lot of the time instead.

>> No.4268027

money

>> No.4268039

>>4267989
me again. i should probably mention that i'm 21 now. it gets easier after the initial adjustment. and the adjustment is fucking easy if you move from home into college because everyone is in the same position.

>>4268014
also this. i was mostly independent while at home, just left certain things to the parents like shopping for food because they did it regardless.

and on the illness/injury part, i personally havent been to a hospital or doctor since i moved out. probably should have for a few injuries, but if nothing is broken, no need for the hospital in my eyes.

>> No.4268067

moved out just after I turned 19
The hardest part when cooking (and grocery shopping) for me is that you're only one person. Of some foods you can only buy large quantities or it's way too expensive to just buy a little bit, so you have to eat the same food for a couple of days to the point where you don't even like it anymore (I only had a tiny freezer).
Other than that, everything was pretty easy since my mom taught me how to cook from a very early age and I think I can cook pretty well compared to my friends and flatmates
Another problem was that I enjoy cooking and especially baking so much that I gained a whole lot of weight in my first semester (at home the entire family would eat my cakes, cupcakes, muffins etc but there it was only me so uh woops)

>> No.4268181

>>4267979
Moved out at 18 for university.

Hardest part was the money mainly, nothing else was really that bad.

Food wise, I agree with this anon
>>4268067
I'm used to cooking for 5 people minimum so it was quite different shopping/cooking for just myself.

>> No.4268185

Aside from moving out to go to college, who here actually had to work to support themselves?

>> No.4268208

17, Uni, half a year ago
Cooking was surprisingly easy, the hardest part was keeping the house clean
It still is

>> No.4268236

>>4268185
been living away from home for a few years now, doing both. 40 hours a week + classes leaves very little time for anything else. but at least i don't have to answer to anyone like i would if the parents were paying my bills.

>> No.4268255

Moved out at 18.
Hardest part was.. keeping on top of making enough money to live and keeping up with studies without going insane.

I didn't really know how to cook much beyond simple stuff when I left, but I started learning quickly.

>> No.4268286

I haven't moved out, but I've been cooking regularly since I was 14-15, so I guess cooking won't be a problem.

>> No.4268288

>>4268286
that's good, because cooking is the easy part.

>> No.4268304

18. I knew how to cook some stuff but never really learned how to cook properly, making my own sauces and stuff until I was 20 and moved into a flat that had no freezer or microwave.

Hardest was motivating myself to keep the place clean, and remembering to use stuff up before it expired.

>> No.4268317

Got my first place at 21 with some friends. I knew how to cook, do laundry, clean, and all that stuff, but I'd say money was the worst part.

>> No.4268318
File: 29 KB, 482x800, bretty good.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

last september, four months before I turned 21
Hardest part was, of course, money. I took a semester off from college and was working 40 hours a week but at $7.25/hour I was barely getting by.
I knew how to cook because my parents are both excellent cooks and I learned from them, but I've also done a lot of experimenting.
>yeah this is about to go bad
>better throw it all in a pyrex pan and put it in the oven and see what happens.
>usually mfw