[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 16 KB, 357x426, FUCKING SALAD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4267841 No.4267841 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /ck/
Post some good salad dressing recipes.

>> No.4267861
File: 593 KB, 370x335, 1361068674741.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I would like to request a thousand Island-ish recipe. This is what google gave me and it sounds good enough.

3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 1/2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Pinch salt
Pinch coarsely ground black pepper

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-mccargo-jr/big-daddys-thousand-island-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

>> No.4267865

>>4267861
x 1 billion fatty though.

>> No.4267873

>>4267861
The only good use for Thousand Island/Russian dressing is to make a Reuben. Why anyone would put it on a salad I have no idea.

>> No.4267892

5:3:2:1:1 oil/liquid fat of some kind:food acid of some kind:prepared, American-style mustard:garlic:minced herbs/ground spices/powdered seasonings/flavourants of some kind (if using), by volume.

I usually go with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, omitting herbs/spices but also enjoy olive oil, lemon juice, powdered almonds, powdered peppercorn and parsley as well as bacon render and apple cider vinegar (again, omitting herbs/spices). Another good one is ghee, sour milk and blue cheese.

Basically, put everything into a blender and blitz smooth then salt to taste and that's it. I've been making salad dressings with this formula since I was three years old, measuring it myself since I was six and alone with no supervision since I was seven or eight. It's a great catch-all formula and has served me well for over two decades.

>> No.4267893

>>4267873
Agreed actually. This was a ruse for the sake of a reuben.

I just think its too thick to ever fit with a salad.

>> No.4267905

>>4267865

In general you can usually sub greek fucking yogurt/kefir/trendy creamy analogue of your choice for the fatty bit of any creamy dressing and come out with a tolerable dressing.

It's never going to be as good but you know, sometimes you get sick of oil and vinegar all the time.

I've used a knock off sweet onion teriyaki before and used for salad. I like it a lot compared to other non-creamy dressings.

¼ cup soy sauce
¾ cup pineapple juice
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon white pepper
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey

It's obviously not calorie free though.

>> No.4267909

1 tsp grainy dijon mustard
2 tbps plus a tsp of wine vinegar
1/2 cup evoo
1 tbsp of flax oil
ok so you can either add
1 tsp of sun dried tomatoes, chopped
and 1 tsp of chives, chopped
OR 2-3 tbsp of blue cheese crumbled

>> No.4267914
File: 80 KB, 720x540, 1359441876947.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4267905
thanks Anon!

>> No.4268139

>>4267873
When you kids' diet consists of french fries, pizza, and energy drinks, I can see where 1000 island would not fit. Just stick with your ranch and mayo fatbaby.

1000 Island is perfect for tomatos, there's really no dressing that goes better. I could a big bowl of tomatos with a little 1000 island on top every day.

Also goes good on grilled sandwiches that use italian deli meats and lots of dill pickles. Also had good luck making a huge grilled cheese sammich on french bread (or texas toast) prepared like a garlic bread, with thousand island, swiss or gouda cheese, and dill pickles or cole slaw. That one might not be for everyone.

Still trying to locate the recipe for this thing my mom made many years ago. It was a big round loaf of bread, stuffed with some meats, swiss, and cream cheese w/1000 island and then baked. Had a similar synergy as the plain tomatos with dressing.

>> No.4268157

>>4268139
>Just stick with your ranch and mayo fatbaby
all creamy dressings are fuck awful on salad. Just a bit of oil and vinegar is all a salad needs.

>> No.4271167

all the fresh herbs you can get
minc mince mince

add oil

add lemon or vinegar!

salt
peper

stirr like a motherfucker

---> DONE