[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 45 KB, 400x400, Cookies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4245168 No.4245168 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, co/ck/s -

I'm trying to make chocolate chip cookies, but the recipes I've tried suck. I'll list the ingredients, followed by how the cookies sucked, in hopes one of you will tell me how to make them edible.

RECIPE 1:
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup chocolate chips

No taste whatsoever, had to bake them for nearly 45 minutes before they would even start to brown. Even my mother wouldn't eat them, and she'll eat anything with chocolate in it.

RECIPE 2:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs

These actually came out well, except that they tasted like blocks of salt.

I measured properly, did everything as directed, but clearly the people who made these recipes have no clue that a chocolate chip cookie is supposed to be sweet.

WTF can I do to salvage either recipe, or do you have a better recipe I should use instead?

>> No.4245170

>>4245168
For two, are you sure they didn't mean baking powder? Because baking soda only works when you have an acid like buttermilk.

also, 1.5 cups of sugar should be more than enough to make them taste sweet.

>> No.4245175
File: 221 KB, 607x640, DSC_2767_crop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

recipe 2 is the Toll House recipe, which is in fact the original and also the best chocolate chip cookie recipe.

if it tastes like blocks of salt, you did it wrong. learn how to mix things properly.

>> No.4245187

>>4245175
this guy right here

>> No.4245211

>>4245175
>>4245187
I didn't do jack shit wrong. An experienced cook I know made them too, and they also tasted too salty. If you like salty cookies, that's your choice. That doesn't mean I did anything wrong. What part of "I measured properly, did everything as directed" gave you difficulty?

>>4245170
Now, you sound like you know about cooking. The recipe does call for baking soda, which has a salty taste. I'll try replacing it with baking powder, and maybe that will work.

>> No.4245218

http://theperfectchocolatechipcookie.com/instruct.php

that site has everything you need OP. Good luck.

>> No.4245220

>>4245170
Brown sugar is acidic as is chocolate, unless intentionally removed. Baking soda works in the second recipe because of all the brown sugar and chocolate chips.
Also generally I like to use a bit more flour to the standard recipe, makes them a bit thicker and holds them together better.

>> No.4245227

>>4245211
You seem upset. Any ways if they were good except that they were salty, you could always.... you know... Not add salt.

>> No.4245231

>>4245211
>What part of "I measured properly, did everything as directed" gave you difficulty?

the part where your cookies came out like blocks of salt instead of delicious, indicating you did something wrong.
i'm eating a toll house recipe cookie right now and you know what? it's delicious.
i'm laughing at you.

>> No.4245236

inb4 used salted butter/margarine

>> No.4245244

In the mixing bowl put butter, 200g cut thin,
then soft brown sugar from our sugar tin.
Now you take white sugar and you cream to a paste
200g of each of them gets that great taste.
2 beaten eggs are next, gradually you add them,
mixing well the whole time 'til your arms are achin'.
Make sure it's all creamy smooth, 'cos that will guarantee their
Success - any expert would agree there.

Teaspoon of baking powder, 5 drops Vanilla Essence.
Now fold in the flour, 600g (or maybe up to 7).
Oh yeah! And half a teaspoon of salt, I just remembered.
The combination tastes really quite intense.
Two bars of plain choc-olate in little pieces
And you stir them in briefly - the gorgeous smell increases….
Once it's all done transfer the dough into a sealed container.
Now you can lick the bowl and put it on the drainer.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
I'm baking Chocolate Chip Cookies
Because my Chocolate Chip Cookies
Are irresistable (as you can tell).

The dough needs to chill inside the fridge a day and night.

'cos what you want is bite, and they'll get that alright.
I'm off to have a nice day now, spend the night at play -
Tomorrow will be judgement day!
You heat up the oven to hundred and eighty C
Baking paper's good; now the dough will have to be
rolled into little balls and spread out by hand -
Mind-e the gap, 'cos these babies expand.

Bake on the middle rack ten, fifteen mins or so;
Time enough for dishes; get some coffee on the go.
Open up, get them out; this moment is so rare:
The instant of completion, loved by artists everywhere.
And if by some bad luck I end up with some burnt ones
I'll send them to my Grandma; the best behaved of Grandsons,
and save the best ones for my love to try.
P.S. the ingredients can be fun to modify.

>> No.4245252

>>4245236
Oh I bet that's what he did

>> No.4245254

>>4245227
And just what if that salt is needed to help make the cookies rise properly? Only a fucking moron just ignores part of a recipe.

>>4245231
So now you're telling me that both I *and* an experienced cook don't know how to measure things? Troll harder.

>>4245220
OK, I might try adding a little extra flour, to see what that does.

>>4245218
I see that recipe has more sugar, which would probably help to counteract that salty taste. Thanks a lot for the link.

>> No.4245265

I made these a couple weeks ago and they were pretty good, OP. I like soft cookies, though. If hard/super chewy is your thing, you probably won't like them.

http://picky-palate.com/2013/01/16/soft-batch-style-chocolate-chip-cookies/

>> No.4245269

>>4245254
>salt
>rise
the only thing it has to do with rising is with yeast where it can prevent the yeast from causing the recipe from rising too much. In the case of cookies, the only reason for salt is taste. Many baked goods, if cooked without salt will taste odd to us, if you really found there be too much salt, use 1/2 tsp or 3/4, though the idea that you are using salted butter sounds more likely.

>> No.4245274

>>4245254
>So now you're telling me that both I *and* an experienced cook don't know how to measure things?

Well yes, if a common, well reviewed recipe doesn't turn out well for you then it's YOUR fault, is that really hard to understand?

>> No.4245281

>>4245274
this
a recipe used by millions for many years isn't wrong. Either you are doing something wrong or something about your ingredients is wrong.

Also I doubt your friend is an experienced cook if they can't even bake a simple recipe even a child can.

>> No.4245284

>>4245254
You could have made an easy mistake like used a tbsp when you meant to use a tsp. Even good bakers do that. The point is, that recipe has long been held as the perfect chocolate chip cookie, and so if yours aren't good, its more likely that you messed up, rather then the rest of us just missed that its salty.

>> No.4245286

>>4245254
>salt needed for rising in cookies
>IN COOKIES
>SALT IS NEEDED FOR RISING IN COOKIES
nigger you must be kidding.

>> No.4245358

op is more defensive than a 12 year old girl on her period in the middle of junior prom

>> No.4245366

>>4245286
salt is a key ingreadient, faggot

>> No.4245399

>>4245366
Yes, but it does not effect the rising (in cookies). It's more of a texture and taste deal.

>> No.4245670

>>4245274
NOT JUST ME, YOU COCKSUCKING MONGOLOID IDIOT! Will you learn to fucking read sometime before you die? I DID NOTHING WRONG, THE RECIPE IS SHIT, GO DIE IN A FIRE.

>> No.4245688
File: 780 KB, 325x203, 467457457.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4245211
If the recipe didn't turn out like it was supposed to, you did something wrong. Tough shit. Try again.

>> No.4245810

>>4245670
lmao

>> No.4245841
File: 215 KB, 796x1204, 1344103626060.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is the recipe from America's Test Kitchen. I thoroughly recommend it, it never fails me - these things are really fucking good.

>> No.4245852

>>4245168
The first recipe only has granulated sugar in it. You need to balance it out with some brown sugar or else they'll literally melt on the sheet pan. As for the second recipe, you're either using a salted butter with too much salt in it, or you can't measure correctly.

>> No.4245869

>>4245175
looks like OP used the Nestle...
*puts on shades*
Troll House recipe

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>> No.4245886

I hope your house burns to the ground, op. Preferably with you inside

>> No.4246011

did you use salted butter? if so, try using unsalted butter because....there's the 1 tsp in the second recipe and then the salt in the butter (if you used salted).

>> No.4246040

Is anyone imagining OP beating his mother in an unbridled rage due to this thread while she's repeating "I just wanted some cookies"?