[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 45 KB, 400x366, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4244814 No.4244814 [Reply] [Original]

As a Brit, I've always wondered what cornbread tasted like. In my mind it always tastes sweet, probably because it looks like a cake, and the corn I'm used to over here is sweet corn. But, I know that cornbread is made from cornmeal, which isn't made from sweet corn. So could an ameribro describe the taste?

Also, trans-Atlantic thread I guess. What foods from over the pond have you always wanted to try. Be it American or European.

>> No.4244822

Cornbread varies by region, northern cornbread is generally sweeter and more cakey than southern cornbread where it was used more as a staple food and is prepared to be more dry. Southerners will put butter on their cornbread or eat it with buttermilk.

>> No.4244828

Texas/Mexican cornbread is slightly sweet, on the dry side, and spiced with jalapenos.

>> No.4244833

>>4244814
Sweet, but not cake like sweet. Corny sweet. Sort of buttery.

>> No.4244841
File: 246 KB, 590x443, cornbread2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As the other Anon said, it varies, but the one you have pictured in OP is northern-and/or-coastal-style. It can be found all along the eastern seaboard, mostly relegated to black southern families and all northerners. White southerners tend to make cornbread more similar to soda bread than to cake. It tends to have a darker crust and be more crumbly.
Being from 'over the pond,' as you put it, originally and living in the US now, I've had a fair deal of foods from both sides of the Atlantic. Maybe something a bit further north and east: I'd like to try fresh cloudberry as I've had it only in the forms of jams and syrups. Wouldn't you know it, even when I went to Finland and tried the notorious 'squeaky cheese' (which I liked; fuck Ramsey's opinion), it was served with cloudberry jam rather than fresh cloudberry. Sad.

>> No.4244846

this will get overlooked, but true southern cornbread is fried in a skillet and is nothing but cornmeal, water, and oil. it basically is just a corn patty.

if you put a slice of cheddar cheese on it while it is still hot enough to melt the cheese it is awesome.

>> No.4244852

In my experience cornbread is dry, crumbly, not very sweet, and kinda awful.

It's tolerable if you eat it hot and fresh with other things, though.

>> No.4244853

>>4244846
Isn't what you're describing only generally known in Tennessee and a few border counties of neighbouring states? I've never seen that sort of thing in, say, deep Mississippi, New Orleans or the non-mountainous Carolinas.

>> No.4244855

>>4244846
>>4244853
Also, you forgot the salt.

>> No.4244856

>>4244853

i'm from the sandhills of NC, and my mom and grandmom made it.

i grew up and never saw the variety that is in OP's pic until they served it in high school.

>> No.4244859

Cornbread (when done right) is only kind of sweet and really buttery. It's awful if it comes out dry (which is usual). If it comes out moist, it's awesome.

>> No.4244862

>>4244856
>sandhills
Really? That's surprising; I didn't think pone was common that far east. You're a good three hours from the Tennessee border, aren't you?
To be clear, I'm not some expert on American cuisine and regionalism, though I'd like to be. I'm just a European who loves real American food (none of that McDo crap) who is surprised that pone is eaten that far away. I'm assuming you're in an incredible rural area? I can't think of a city in the sandhills unless Chapel Hill counts as being in the region? I don't think it does because it's on the plateau and the sandhills certainly are not, right?

>> No.4244867

>>4244852
If done right it is not crumbly, and actually can be great hot or cold. There is a local pizzeria that serves cold corn bread that is delicious.

>> No.4244869

>>4244862

>Chapel Hill

that's the crazy thing about NC. Chapel Hill is a lot like San Francisco (rather cultured and modern), while my hometown of Rockingham is more like Mobile, Alabama (meaning backward and living in the 50s).

>> No.4244870

If you can find a box of Jiffy cornbread mix, that'd be an easy way to try it, and it's more or less what I was raised on for cornbread.

>> No.4244874

This stuff goes perfectly with any ham and bean soup.

>> No.4244877

>>4244874
Cornbread and beans, god tier comfort food.

>> No.4244893

the first post in this thread hit the nail on the head, really. i really enjoy northern cornbread, and find that it's much easier to make taste good. but southern cornbread, when made well (i'm not so good at it, it usually comes out dry) is a great accompaniment to tons of awesome dishes. particularly chili.

>> No.4244894

What the hell is meatloaf

Is it just a big slab of processed meat

>> No.4244898

>>4244894
meatloaf takes normal ground meat (usually beef or pork or some mixture of meats), combined with binding agents (eggs, breadcrumbs, etc), and vegetables (onions, green bell peppers, etc), and mixes them all together to form a loaf, which is then cooked. it's a throw together dish that everyone makes differently, and can range from fucking awesome to really bad.

>> No.4244899

>>4244894
It's basically a meatball shaped into a loaf of bread, with a bit of onions, garlic and mushrooms added to it and served with gravy or ketchup or something.

>> No.4244903

canadian here
cornbread is both quick and easy
flour - 1-1/4 cups
cornmeal - 3/4 cup
milk - 1 cup
egg - 1
fat 1/2 cup
sugar - 0 to 1/3 cup
baking powder - 2 tsp
and salt - pinch
good when old and dry as a cereal
great with poached eggs and beef hash

>> No.4244939

I'd love to know how to make pasties, seeing how many stateside Brits seem to miss them. I'm nowhere near Minnesota which is one of the few areas of the US to have them, I understand.

>> No.4244942

I really want to try pulled pork, any other brits have any idea about where to buy a smoker? Really can't find a cheap one

>> No.4244948

>>4244942
murrican here. just make your own with a rack from a round grill and a large metal drum. really all you need is an enclosed area that has a separate part for meat and fire.

>> No.4245022

>>4244948
Tips on wood to burn/heat management?

>> No.4245046

>>4244939
Pasties, to me: A simple meat pie in pastry dough. Shredded beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, turnips, corn, whatever. Wrap in pastry dough; bake until done.

You'll see 'em in northern Minnesota, the Iron Range and Arrowhead regions, but not that widely. More popular in the Michigan upper penisula.

As I understand it, it's an import from the Cornish of the isles. Cornish immigrant would make 'em, bake 'em, and take 'em for lunch in Michigan's copper mines. Put it on a shovel, heat shovel over fire, and eat.

Since I'm prattling on: Cornbread has a dry, borderline sweet taste, very much corn flavored, with a gritty texture. I find it chewy. Really good with maple syrup or cheese, but not both.

>> No.4245062

>>4245046
that actually sounds pretty damn delicious. kinda like a handheld pot pie.

>>4245022
sorry, not much of an expert on smoking. i'll see if i cant get in touch with some of my more southern friends if this hasn't been answered in a reasonable amount of time.

>> No.4245064

>>4244869
Well, they try to be like SF. I don't know why they would, but they do. I like much of America, even the much-maligned south, but I really rather dislike all of California that I've seen. I dunno what to think of the proper midwest as I've never been to most of it.

>> No.4245096

>>4244828
Texan here, when I had cornbread from other states, I was really surprised, because I was so used to the sweet cornbread here.

I fucking love semi-sweet jalapeno cornbread though.

>> No.4245099

Have you Britbros ever had green bean casserole?

Honestly, this is the only type of casserole I like, it's an amazing side.

>> No.4245102

>>4244942
Go to garage sales, and estate sales. I picked up my smoker at an estate sale for 10 bucks. It works great, but I did have to buy a new firebowl for it.

>> No.4245112

>>4244869
>>4245064
I've visit NC a lot because my girlfriend lives there, Jesus, it is incredibly different from Seattle, where I live.

I've visited Elkin also. Jesus Christ. That is the smallest town I've ever been in. Also pretty racist.

>> No.4245126

Sweet & spicy cornbread rules... Take a typical cornbread recipe (or a mix if so inclined) and substitute a can of creamed corn for the milk, add an extra spoon of sugar and maybe some honey, then some chopped up jalapenos and/or a small spoon of cayenne pepper.

If you also add a little bit of extra milk, some extra baking powder, and extra egg yolk, and a little white flour, you get a puffy-cakey-custardy spoonable corn pudding kind of thing.

But going the other way, you can take a regular recipe of cornbread, leave out some of the moisture, and add in some beaten egg whites to lighten the texture, then season with some salt and black pepper, and then fry them up like little silver-dollar pancakes, you've got an awesome little snack. Try it with some salsa and sour cream.

>> No.4245141

>>4244852
that's why you eat it with butter and beans

>> No.4245142
File: 286 KB, 952x1272, louisjordan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4245141
beeeeeeeeeans and corrrrrrrrnbread

>> No.4245305

>>4244870
>>4244903
I was thinking of trying to make it, but being a poor student I don't really own many baking tools, or a cast iron skillet for that matter. Is the cast iron skillet necessary?

>> No.4245312

>>4245305
Strictly speaking, it's not. It does make a difference in the quality of the crust, though, but it's not necessary. If you've a good cornbread recipe, you'll still result with a good cornbread without a cast iron skillet.

>> No.4245334

>>4245312
Hmm, if that's the case, I might try and make some later on in the week.

Is the condensed corn necessary for a good quality corn bread or will milk do fine.

>> No.4245356

If you're in the UK and you want to make cornbread to see how it tastes you can go to an Asian (Indian) Market and look for corn meal flour. They might call it something else, but I bought some there when I was living there to make cornbread and it was the same, here's a recipe;
Cornbread
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
opt. corn niblets, cheddar cheese and jalapenos
Preheat oven to 375F. Grease an 8" square pan.
In a large bowl add butter and stir in sugar. Add eggs and beat, then add buttermilk, baking soda, cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until done.

If you're really in a pinch you could sub polenta but it already has water added so I don't know if you that mess with the moisture.

And Americans, if you are going to make a pasty, it needs to have a flaky crust, sorta inbetween puff pastry and a pie crust.

>> No.4245465

>>4245356
Thanks anon.

>> No.4245475

wait cornbread and cornmeal are unheard of in the uk? whoa

>> No.4245517

>>4245475
you gotta realize that we just have a shitton of corn in the US since we can grow it fucking everywhere. i mean shit, go to Iowa sometime and if you dont kill yourself first, notice all the fucking corn.

ever wonder why all our processed foods have high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar?

>> No.4245564

I have tried both kinds of cornbread, the normal kind and then the sweeter kind. They really go well with different meals. If I am eating some soup beans, fried potatoes and spinach I want me some regular cornbread. If I am eating beef stew or something like that I prefer the sweeter kind. Also regular cornbread is good in milk, just dump a piece in a glass of milk and eat it with a spoon.

>> No.4245608
File: 6 KB, 225x240, LittleGreenMan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay... a few things:
Pumpkin pie, what's that like?
Sweet potato pie, what's that like?
Clam Chowder, is this just ground clams in soup?
Corndogs, What are these?

>> No.4245627

>>4245608
Pumpkin pie is usually loaded with cinnamon and has a custardish texture I guess.
Never had sweet potato pie.
Clam chowder can usually have chunks of clam in it as well. There are two main styles, New England and Manhattan. New England is very creamy includes bacon and is white. Manhattan is more of a tomato based soup.
Corndogs are Hot dogs on a stick dipped in cornmeal batter and deepfried.

>> No.4245637

>>4245627
I thank you sir, pumpkin pie does sound appealing. New England clam chowder paints a nice image in my head, although I am cautious with seafood.

>> No.4245667

>>4245637
No problem anon.
Not a huge pumpkin pie fan but I'll eat it.New England clam chowder is one of my favorites when done right. It has to have thick cut potatoes, chunks of clam and it should be thick rather than watery.

>> No.4245727

This is awesome that there's already a thread discussing this. I wanted to know if anyone here had a recipe for some more cakey cornbread. I want the moist shit, not that dry stuff.

>> No.4245761

Sweet potato pie is absolutely godlike.

Specifically, Paul Prudhomme's sweet potato pecan pie, topped with chantilly cream.

If you make it exactly to the letter as his recipe dictates, you have quite simply the most delicious dessert known to mankind.

>> No.4246060

>>4244814
I want to try cool aid and a twinkie from America. I have had Hersheys chocolate and found it to be inferior to Cadburys, it was a weird texture too, almost like eating wax. I also had several different twizlers which had no detectable taste or flavour at all.

A supermarket international isle has an American section and I am planning on buying "purple drink", "lucky charms", "Tobasco sauce chocolate" and "Aunt Jermina". Shits dear though, £6 just for the Lucky Charms cereal.

>> No.4246067

>>4244814
>>4244814
I want to try cool aid and a twinkie from America. I have had Hersheys chocolate and found it to be inferior to Cadburys, it was a weird texture too, almost like eating wax. I also had several different twizlers which had no detectable taste or flavour at all.

A supermarket international isle has an American section and I am planning on buying "purple drink", "lucky charms", "Tobasco sauce chocolate" and "Aunt Jermina". Shits dear though, £6 just for the Lucky Charms cereal.

>> No.4246092

>>4246060
>>4246067
don't bother with twinkies or any other hostess products. they're fucking gross, much moreso than hersheys chocolate. lucky charms are alright if you want a really sugary cereal.

>> No.4246094

>>4246060

Prepare to be disappointed by all those. Now if you do find Reese's Peanut Butter Crunch cereal... that stuff is amazing. Just use it as a dessert.

>> No.4246100

>>4246067
The Hershey bars are poverty tier. You want good murrkan chocolate, stick to M&Ms and butterfingers.

Do not pay for the Lucky Charms, tobasco, or purple drank. They aren't worth shit over here.

>> No.4246101

>>4246060
>>4246067
don't bother with twinkies or any other hostess products. they're fucking gross, much moreso than hersheys chocolate. lucky charms are alright if you want a really sugary cereal.

>>4245761
until recently, i had never had sweet potato pie. now i like that shit way more than pumpkin.

>> No.4246102

>>4246060
>>4246067
>purple drank

isn't that codeine with lemonade and jolly ranchers or something?

>> No.4246111
File: 61 KB, 400x388, sadfrog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>grow up in NC
>great grandmother makes hoecakes (savory cornbread fried in a skillet like pancakes)
>taste amazing
>can't replicate the flavor no matter what I do

>> No.4246120

>>4246102
purple drank is just grape sugar water

syzerp is codeine cough syrup mixed with sprite

>> No.4246122

>>4246100
>American
>M&Ms and Butterfinger
English and Swiss, respectively. Nice try, though.
Ghirardelli used to be American but is now Swiss-owned. Equal Exchange is American and they're pretty good, though.

>> No.4246138
File: 193 KB, 1240x733, Cornish pasty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4245046
Being Cornish I always cringe when I see Americans talk about an "authentic" Cornish pasty. What you have listed is no different. The worst was watching man vs food and they actually put gravy in the thing with cheese on top. America is great at cooking and certainly doesn't deserve its stereotype but making Cornish pasties is not one that America does well.

>> No.4246146

>>4246120
why do black people like sprite so much

>> No.4246149
File: 21 KB, 245x300, u didn't try.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4246122
M&Ms are owned by Mars Incorporated, an american company. While Nestle is a Swiss company, butterfingers are primarily sold in the states.

>> No.4246154

>>4246122

Mars and Nestle do not sell those outside of the american market you retard. Next are you going to say that Budweiser is Belgian since Inbev owns it?

>> No.4246168

>>4246100
Tobasco is pretty great, sorry dude.

>> No.4246182
File: 41 KB, 500x404, Sausage-rolls.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4245062
>that actually sounds pretty damn delicious. kinda like a handheld pot pie.
Britain is the land of the pie don't forget. Hell, they were munching on all sorts of pies as snacks when I went. Savory and sweet. I loved their steak pies with "chips". They even have their own fast food chains that sell nothing but pies, pasties and sausage rolls. Sausage rolls are like sausage bagels but much flavorful. God I'd betray the constitution and become a redcoat just to get a "Greggs bakery" chain here.

>> No.4246189

>>4245099
I have never heard of it. Is it a casserole that substitutes the main meat component for green beans?

>> No.4246196

>>4246189
Green bean casserole is disgusting. Anything that uses an entire can of cream of mushroom soup is terrible, and the anon who recommended it to you should be ashamed of himself.

>> No.4246201

>>4245475
Corn is the all American crop. Do you wonder why corn and HFCS is in everything in America? It's because your government subsidises corn production, thus it is everywhere and in everything, making it a significant staple food. That wasn't the case in the UK so no cornbread. The closest would be polenta imports from Italy but even that is rare.

>> No.4246214

>>4246149
Oh! I'd thought Mars was English. I'm wrong.

>>4246154
>M&Ms
>not sold outside of America
You should really leave Babyjesusberg, West Virginia every now and again, you know. M&Ms have been available in Italy, where I'm from, since as long as I can remember. Butterfinger are not, however, generally available outside of the US, you're right. Wish they and other peanut candies were. My cousins fucking love Reese's Pieces and I have to ship them their "vitamins" (as they call them) some every so often (I live in the US).

>> No.4246216

>>4245761
Wait, you have that for a dessert? I know it has sweet in the name but every one I have is savoury. Having a dessert pie made of potatoes sounds weird. Potatoes are savoury.

>> No.4246225

>>4246214

>implying I am not writing this from outside the US too. Face it M and Ms are regarded as an american product.

>> No.4246227
File: 236 KB, 587x336, consider the following.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

To all the britfriends and eurobros in this thread who have sampled american dishes/snacks/candies, what was the best thing you ever tried out of all of them?

>> No.4246229
File: 60 KB, 798x400, Biscuits and gravy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4244814
I know that this subject cause arguments on this board but I want to try the American version of pic related. Even though every time i see a picture it looks like a cat vomited on a scone, if you yanks defend them so much it must be worth trying.

>> No.4246233

>>4246227

Canadian posting but your candies are better than ours. I would rather have a reeses cup than a coffee crisp or a big turk.

>> No.4246236

>>4244814
American pancakes are different to real pancakes and American flapjacks are different to real flapjacks. I would like to try both of them to compare to the originals.

>> No.4246240

>>4246216
They're very soft and sweet, and really only similar to a potato in terms of texture and starchiness. If you've ever had pumpkin pie before the taste is somewhat similar.

>> No.4246246

>>4246227
Ribs. Whatever you are doing, don't stop. American ribs are something you should clap home about.

>> No.4246248
File: 272 KB, 600x408, neeses-country-sausage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4246229
If you can get your hands on some bulk sausage (especially the ones with added sage), you can make your own sausage gravy, the white kind you're thinking of.

>> No.4246250
File: 60 KB, 300x300, snyders_jalapeno_pretzel_pieces.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4246225
Well, after what the other poster (>>4246149) said, M&Ms are not an English product as Mars is not an English company. Nonetheless, >>4246154 stated that Mars does
> not sell those outside of the american market
which is just patently false.

>>4246227
Do I count, being that I've been living in the US off-and-on for a while now? I really like collards cooked with bacon and onion.
I also enjoy clam chowder if it's made with smoked clams: tastes like a Scottish soup called skink and I really love skink.
Um... oh! Pic related. You guys aren't generally very good with mass-produced sweets, but you make fantastic mass-produced salty foods. We're (Italy) the opposite: our mass-produced sweets make me weak in the knees, but our crisps/chips and salty snacks blow goats.

>> No.4246254

>>4246233
I would love a big turk, if you know what I mean and I think you do.

>> No.4246260

>>4246229
ItaliAnon here.
It's really quite good.
Get a scone or an American biscuit and split it.
Fry an egg sunny-side or poach it.
Top scone half with egg.
Top egg with sausage gravy.
Consume, using other scone half to sop.

I just find it odd that Americans eat this for breakfast (then again, you weirdos eat tomatoes, beans, ham and eggs; not too far off). It seems too heavy for breakfast for me, but it makes an excellent lunch or evening meal.

>> No.4246270

>>4246196
>implying the recipe on the can of soup is the only green bean casserole

step your game up before trying to shame others.

>> No.4246273

>>4244841
gettingofftopic.jpg

>> No.4246277

>>4246260
I live in the southeast where this kind of breakfast is more common, and to be honest you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who eats gravy and biscuits for every single breakfast (or at least I would). It's become more of an indulgence, something you eat on a saturday morning or when you don't have work/school.

>> No.4246289

>>4246277
Even occasionally, it seems too heavy for Italians.
Our breakfasts are much lighter: small brioche or croissant, a bit of yoghurt with jam, coffee with milk and that's it.
Sometimes, egg pudding in place of the yoghurt and jam (beat egg yolk with powdered sugar until much lighter in colour and it has taken in some volume).
American and Brit/Irish breakfasts are these enormous platters that for us would be best to serve at lunchtime.

>> No.4246290 [DELETED] 

>>4246248
Every time I see an American talk about sausages I get the feeling the word means different things in both countries. For example when you say "get your hands on some bulk sausage" as opposed to bulk sausages for plural or a sausage for singular. Then the way you say sausage and only sausage when thousands of different types of sausages exist here, all different varieties and fillings with their own names. Saying sausage is as vague as saying I had animal for dinner.

>> No.4246295

>>4246248
Every time I see an American talk about sausages I get the feeling the word means different things in both countries. For example when you say "get your hands on some bulk sausage" as opposed to bulk sausages for plural or a sausage for singular. Then the way you say sausage and only sausage when thousands of different types of sausages exist here, all different varieties, shapes, sizes and fillings with their own names. Saying sausage is as vague as saying I had animal for dinner. Then when you say with added sage when it is probably the most common herb used in sausages here. Could you give a bit more description?

>> No.4246297

>>4246290
Americans mean 'seasoned ground pork.' American sausage is not encased and is similar to a hamburger patty. Of course, Americans also have access to sausages of European origin such as frankfurters, bratwurst, Lincolnshire and others.
American sausage is most similar to Lincolnshire, so buy a few of those and remove the innards from their casings.

>> No.4246298
File: 160 KB, 1600x932, Jellied eels close-up.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How are jellied eels? Most British food I've seen look appetizing but this stuff doesn't sit right with me.

>> No.4246302

>>4246297
Also, if any Americans know of any sausages of purely American origins other than breakfast sausage, please let me know as I'd be very interested to learn of them. So far, the only one that comes to mind might be American-style andouille.

>> No.4246314

>>4246260
>ham
In the civilised world it is called bacon. Ham is something entirely different. Also it is heavy because it started off as a farmers meal who would work his balls off on the farm all day and needed such calorie intense meals to keep him going. Like all modernised societies, the work changed but the cultural foods stayed the same and now everyone can eat them. Having said that the meal is usually reserved for special occasions due to the high calorie content, or hangover food. Nothing beats a big greasy fry-up for the morning after the night before.

>> No.4246316

>>4246302

boudin
american style italian sausage
smoked beef sausage
summer sausage
american style bologna
pimento loaf
old fashioned loaf
there are tons of them not to mention the low cal chicken sundried tomatoes stuff you find at grocery stores nowadays

>> No.4246321

>>4246289
>small brioche or croissant, a bit of yoghurt with jam, coffee with milk
i'd hate to do any sort of labor on that bullshit amount of calories.

>> No.4246323

>>4246297
So when an American is talking about eating a sausage he really means he just ate minced pork?

>> No.4246325

>>4246323

No. Its sausage just without a casing. Bulk sausage is with no casing but you can get american breakfast sausage links too. >>4246297 doesn't really know what he is talking about.

>> No.4246330

>>4246323
In consistency, yes. Minced pork has no seasonings in it though, while american sausage (the country sausage >>4246248 is talking about) is heavily spiced.

>> No.4246335

>>4246289

It's often the reverse for many Americans. We have this "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" message drilled into us from childhood. Granted, a lot of people skip breakfast, but for those who actually eat it it's usually a pretty heavy meal. Lunches are often much lighter. Of course this varies a lot.

>> No.4246336

>>4246298
You know how tv chefs always talk about each region of Italy having its own dishes exclusive to that area? Jellied eels is London and London only. Meat and savoury jelly is not something I would not refuse to eat, no different to the jelly you find on spam or the integral component to the protected Melton Mowbray pork pie. Eel is good meat and if you haven't, you must try it. I would try jellied eels but it always has been a London only thing.

>> No.4246344

>>4246335
>"breakfast is the most important meal of the day" message drilled into us from childhood
(that's because it's true)

>> No.4246352

>>4246314
Being as my first experience with bacon was of the American variety, what you would call streaky bacon and I then later had UK bacon/rashers (which is not smoked, but rather boiled), I'll continue to refer to your "bacon" as ham as that's what it's most similar to. The flavour is quite close to that of a variety of ham available in northern Italy while the flavour of American bacon is not something I've ever tasted before my first try of the stuff.
As for civilised... well... I can't speak on this considering what a shambles Italy is in right now.

>>4246316
But are any of them just called "sausage?"

For example, where I'm from, if you go to a butcher and ask for sausage, you'll receive links of pork mince, composed 50/50 of neck meat and thigh meat, flavoured with ground almonds, Neapolitan peppercorn and wild dillseed as well as white wine.
Because wild dillseed is not generally available outside of the area and the relative (not really) similarity of fennelseed, in America, the sausages are made with fennelseed but tend to omit almonds.

If you go to another part of Italy, you'll receive a substantially different type of sausage and would have to ask for 'salsicce napoletane' specifically if you want the ones I described above.

In the US, is it appropriate to refer to any of those examples simply as "sausage?"

>> No.4246374

>>4246352
>which is not smoked, but rather boiled
I don't know where you went but that is bullshit. Boiling cooks the meat for a start and our bacon is bought raw. Then there is the fact that our bacon no matter what part of the animal or curing method is divided between smoked and unsmoked.

>> No.4246385

>>4246352
>In the US, is it appropriate to refer to any of those examples simply as "sausage?"

What the fuck are you talking about? We have many different types of sausage, from Andouille to Bratwurst. Nothing around here is simply labeled sausage.

>> No.4246387

Ausbro here. Pumpkin Pie as a desert is totally bizarre to me. We've always had it as a savoury dinner, a pie made with cheese, onion, egg, bacon and pumpkin.

Also, Kangaroo tastes a lot like Beef, but with a more gamey, wild sort of taste. It's ludicrously fucking good for you though because it has almost no fat. Kangaroo/Emu burgers are delicious if they're done well.

>> No.4246389

>>4246374
I had bacon in London, Cardiff and the Isles of Wight and Man (also had it in Dublin): it was the same, salty, ham-like flavour each time, never once was it smoked.
The rashers were obviously salt-sugar-and-peter cured as well as obviously par-cooked by boiling (similar to the US and their bacon being par-cooked by smoking).
Of course, both varieties are thin-sliced and pan-cooked, but the initial par-cooking, as well as choice of cut, is different.
Yours is not bad, not by any means, just that theirs is lovely and smokey/salty/sweet while yours is also lovely, just salty/sweet and not smokey.

>> No.4246449

>>4246290

There's some contextual hints that have to be used, if you see us talking about generic "sausage" in a breakfast context we almost always mean the same thing - well, I don't know how to describe it to you because it's always just "breakfast sausage" to me but if you google breakfast sausage you'll probably see it. We tend to use particular names for other certain varieties, like kielbasa or bratwurst or whatever. Actually, I think that's the inverse situation sometimes - it's my understanding that "kielbasa" is a generic word in Polish, on par with "sausage" in terms of vagueness, but in america it's almost always used specifically to refer to a specific kind that Wikipedia informs me is most similar to what a Pole would call "Kiełbasa Starowiejska".

>> No.4246460

>>4246387
>Pumpkin Pie as a desert is totally bizarre to me. We've always had it as a savoury dinner, a pie made with cheese, onion, egg, bacon and pumpkin.

Oh god what? No, ours isn't like that at all. It's more like a custard laid in an open crust than a proper pie. There's nutmeg and cinnamon in it.

>> No.4246486

>>4245517
>>4246201
i know it's obviously much more prevalent here than anywhere else, but i didn't realize the divide was that large

>> No.4246491

>>4246196
lel

My girlfriend's grandma makes everything from scratch. Not a can in sight.

>mfw she's British

>> No.4246496

>>4246385
did he hit a nerve? you've obviously never seen the plastic rolls of jimmy dean brand 'pork sausage' etc

>> No.4246563

>>4246389
Again I don't know what you are talking about. Go to any supermarket. The bacon is split in two. The blue signed section is unsmoked and the red signed section is smoked. This is every single shop and supermarket.

>> No.4246580

>>4244814
>tastes sweet

Murrifat here. It doesn't, you need to add honey or sugar if you want a sweet flavor.

>> No.4246591

>>4246563
Speaking as a tourist, not a resident, I'd only been to supermarkets in the UK twice: once was Shoprite on the Isle of Man and the other was a Tesco in Cardiff. Neither time did I go to the butcher's/meat department as I was looking for packaged goods I cannot easily find in the US or Italy. Each time I'd had bacon, it was as part of a fry up. Each time, it was as I described.
If your experiences as a resident of the UK are different from mine as a tourist, why would this be surprising? You've already admitted that there is an unsmoked, par-boiled variation, so where's the argument? Are you trying to save face? "No guys! Our bacon isn't unsmoked and par-boiled! Or, at least, not always!" You've already said it is.

In the US, there is no unsmoked, par-boiled version of bacon. Bacon is smoked.

In Italy, we don't have bacon, so my only reference point for the stuff is the American bacon, which is delicious, and that ham from northern Italy which your unsmoked, par-boiled, unstreaky bacon resembles greatly.

>> No.4246593

>>4246563
>i don't know what you're talking about
>but what you're talking about exists in places and i acknowledge that
youre not very good at arguing

>> No.4246636

>>4246182
>dems sausage rolls

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT

seriously those look delicious bro

>> No.4246639

>>4246250
the honey mustard onion ones are better

both are great though

>> No.4246656

>>4246092
>don't bother with twinkies or any other hostess products
too soon

>> No.4246670

>>4244814
>Live in Australia
>Want to try haggis

Only thing that really comes to mind, Ploish background so most euro food covered and asian food rocks.

>> No.4246695

>>4246593
ahahah my sides!

>> No.4246705

>>4246639
they'll fucking ruin your breath though. so tasty though. it's an endless cycle of internal struggle when i eat those things.

>> No.4246792

anyone here every do their cornbread with half cormeal half polenta? gives it a nice crunch and slightly different texture.
made it this way once when i was low on cornmeal, havnt gone back since

>> No.4247177

>>4246593
What the fuck are you talking about? Let me guess, you are only pretending to be retarder for le epic troll? He said you can buy boiled bacon. I said the two varieties are smoked and unsmoked, where do you get boiled from smoked and unsmoked?

>> No.4247188

>>4247177
The part where he said it was par-cooked by boiling? Do learn to follow a thread.

>> No.4247200

>>4245064
>rather dislike all of California that I've seen

thank christ, tell all your friends.

we don't need any more people here.

>> No.4247254

Oh shit you need to take a vacation across the sea and just sit down at the boston market restaurant before it shuts down.
Or smokey bones.
Their corn bread is practically cake and smokey bones has some with an orgasmic honey nut butter.

>> No.4247256 [DELETED] 

>>4247200
Oh hey, a Californian. I've got a bone to pick with you.

Tell your shit cunting libtard assholes to stay in California and stop fucking up other states. Washington, Colorado, Oregon and Nevada (among others) are all becoming leftist shitholes because people leave California (after ruining it), think "gee, I like this place but it could sure use some civilization" and then shit all over wherever they live. We don't want your gun laws, we don't want your social policies and we don't want your fucking culture - STAY OUT.

>> No.4247330

>>4247256
This.

>>4246352
Not really. There are regional variations of course, but if I were to walk into a proper butchery and ask for 'sausage' they might just give me breakfast sausages. Chances are though they'd give me a funny look and say, "What kind of sausage?"

But there are always American regional sausages. Pennsylvania Dutch have scrapple, which is similar to Dutch pon haus I believe. It uses corn meal, another American use for corn.

Otherwise, you have Lebanon Bologna, also a Pennsylvania Dutch staple, as well as Summer Sausage, which someone mentioned. In Cincinnati, you have Goetta, similar to scrapple and pon haus, but it is beef, sausage, clove, steel cut oats, and a few other things that don't readily come to mind--but the biggest difference being the substitution of steel cut oats versus corn meal. It usually is eaten at Breakfast, but can be eaten at any time of the day. It is delicious. It can be eaten with a variety of condiments--hot sauce/s, apple butter, mustard, ketchup, syrup, etc.

>>4246385
He means a dominant regional variety that we might refer only to sausage in the vernacular. Like, if you ask for a certain beer, a certain meal, or any particular thing, you will get that region's branded or most dominant staple.

Like for instance, if I were to walk into a seedy, dive bar in St. Louis, MO, and I asked for a 'beer,' they would give me a Budweiser, because corporate headquarter; breweries of AB in the area; popular brand, etc.

If I were in say...Hawaii, and I said give me a beer, they would pause and ask what I wanted. They might also say, "You stupid Haole, get a fucking Mai Tai or a Hurricane or tropical island drink."

Brand loyalty, blah blah blah, regionalism, blah blah blah, the vernacular, blah blah blah.

>> No.4247331

>>4247330
>beef, sausage, clove
Insert Pork. Remove Sausage.

>> No.4247332
File: 33 KB, 877x656, 5 star post.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4247256

Jesus, this post

captcha: ssoiveds CO2

>> No.4247336

>>4245064
>I dunno what to think of the proper midwest as I've never been to most of it.

Greetings from the American Midwest.

We're basically the South, except it's not as hot, everything is flat and everybody is white. (No really) Well, there are Mexicans too but they're cool (good restaurants).

Stop by sometime.

>> No.4247353

>>4246146
*slaps forehead*
Please go back to /b/. I grew up around black people and I've never heard of this stereotype.

Shit, I don't even drink soda.

>> No.4247364

>>4246591

In the US we do have cured bacon that is unsmoked. You seem to think in absolutes. Culture is much more messy and ambiguous than it seems prima fascia.

>> No.4247365

>>4247353
>Shit, I don't even drink soda.
what does this have to do with anything?

>> No.4247366

>>4247336
I've driven through Illinois, Missouri and Kansas on my way to Colorado. I've been to Chicago, Cleveland and Kansas City as well as Iowa City.
Are Minneapolis/St Paul considered the midwest? Been there, too. Best southeast Asian food in the US, surprisingly enough. In California, it's difficult to find anything purely SEA and in New York, it's all either too expensive or horribly bastardised. What about Colorado: midwest or no?
In the northeast, where I currently reside, I've been to every major city and several minor ones stretching from Pittsburgh through Philadelphia then northwards to Portland and feel much better acquainted with its culture and cuisine than the staggeringly huge midwest. For that matter, your entire country is staggeringly huge, but the midwest considerably so.

>> No.4247367

>>4247364
National brands or it didn't happen.

>> No.4247368

>>4247365
He's black and doesn't like soda.

>> No.4247381

Or you could just use Polenta, as that's just the upscale $50.00(USD) name for Cormmeal. It's what I use to make my Cornbread and, it comes out just fine.

>> No.4247384
File: 17 KB, 300x234, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4247336
Greetings from the Ameican south!
We are NOT just like the Midwest except hotter. We have our own culture not watered down by the scandanavian and german heritage of many in the Midwest.
Historically, the Midwest hasn't had as much poverty as the south. That poverty has had a major impact on the culture and mindset of the south that just isn't present in the Midwest.
We will eat anything, you make due with what you've got. Hunt, fish, grow and brew your own whenever possible because you can't rely on the government for nothin'!

Pic related, proper southern cornbread

>> No.4247414

>>4247384
>the south can't rely on the government
By and large, the south receives more federal welfare money and pays less in tax than any other American region. Guess which region receives the least and pays the most? The northeast. Just saying.

>> No.4247430

>>4247414
I was describing the mindset that is so common in the south, not the economic reality of the situation.

>>4247384
>Historically, the Midwest hasn't had as much poverty as the south. That poverty has had a major impact on the culture and mindset of the south that just isn't present in the Midwest.
We will eat anything, you make due with what you've got. Hunt, fish, grow and brew your own whenever possible because you can't rely on the government for nothin'!

Your post actually supports mine.
>By and large, the south receives more federal welfare money and pays less in tax than any other American region.

>> No.4247491

>>4247256
geopolitically not all of california is leftist you reactionary tard

>> No.4247505

>>4247430
Oh, I see. Regardless, the south has my favourite American foods. I really love your stuff. One of you should leave Clapland and move to Italy to open a restaurant. You might not do well at first, but give it time and I'm sure we'll start flocking simply because your food is so delicious.

>> No.4247549

>>4247414
That's because the South is less population dense than the North. It costs more to get services out to the more rural areas, and there are less people to pay tax for it.

>> No.4247552

>>4247256
Washington is way more leftist than California.

>> No.4247573

>>4244814
Cornbread, in all of it's incarnations, is delicious. It is also easy to make. Import Jiffy cornbread mix, it gets the job done!

Also. Cornbread stuffing. Holy shit. I never had a dish I made disappear so quickly.

>> No.4247580

>>4247552
420 blaze it

>> No.4247582

>>4247505
One of the endearing qualities of southern culture is pride. Many people are proud to be from the south. Our deep roots tie us to the land. Friends, family and culture all influence southern food. I'm not sure Italians would get it. Besides, Bubba from down in the hollar isn't going to move to Europe to cook down home food.

>> No.4247587

>>4247573
You can take your jiffy box shit and cram it up your Yankee ass.
Only a northerner would consider that sweet, yellow, cakey shite cornbread.

>> No.4247599

>>4247366
Mlps here. I've always heard us considered midwestern. The twin cities aren't even in northern minnesota, we're pretty far down.

Also if this has been posted I haven't seen it, but i've never eaten sweet cornbread in my life without covering it in honey or honey-butter. But yeah, it's almost exclusively served sweet and fluffy and in pan or muffin form up here.

>> No.4247606

>>4247587
You caught me! NewEnglandfag reporting in!

>> No.4247615

>>4245667
>Clam chowder
>thick

Doing it wrong. Might as well buy the Campbells shit in a can if you want that. Granted, it shouldn't be watery, but it is silky and creamy, not thick.

>> No.4247623

>>4247606
Well what have we here? An honest Yankee!?
I believe that southern and northern cornbread should be separate-but-equal. You keep your sweet yellow muffins and we will survive on our gritty pan bread.

>> No.4247639

>>4247623
Got a good southern cornbread recipe you personally like?
I'm interested now, although I can't cook it in a skillet.
>tfw no cast iron anything

>> No.4247642

>>4244814
After visiting this board I need to try the Siracha sauce Americans always use.

>> No.4247645

>>4247582
Trust me, we would get that whole comradery and pride in what you have and making the best of what you've been given and all that, particularly in the south of Italy. I've introduced several of my cousins (no small feat considering my mother is the youngest of a litter of fourteen) to many dishes of the American south. Collards with bacon and onions was universally adored. Carolina egg-based drop biscuits were, too. Roux-thickened, no okra gumbo was also much loved. Barbecue was kinda 50/50; some of them thought the idea of sweet meat to be bizarre and unsettling, but on the flip-side, black-eye peas and smoked ham hocks were enjoyed greatly. One cousin described biscuits and gravy as "seasoned besciamella with pork" and she loved it.
I think your foods generally match our tastes, but we're a xenophobic people who might be a bit wary of going to an American southern restaurant at first. We're only now starting to get Chinese and Asian restaurants in Italy within the last 20 years or so; they were unheard of when I was a kid (though we did have Jamaican and Ethiopian restaurants in the 80s).

>> No.4247652

>>4247645
>"American" style restaurants in different countries
Is this... a thing? I'm not talking about fast food places, I mean do people open restaurants in Germany or India serving cornbread and clam chowder and pumpkin pie?

>> No.4247669

>>4247652
Only in English-speaking European countries.
I went to a Cajun/Creole place in Dublin and it was awful.
Also had a cheesesteak in Newcastle upon Tyne which was horrendous.
Best one was a Georgia-style fried chicken place in London, but even that was lacking.
I'm not even American, I just have an appreciation for American food and really wish one of you better acquainted with your cuisine than I, as an outside observer, am would just move to Italy and open a place. I think it would do particularly well in Naples as we're generally a bit less xenophobic than the rest of Italy tends to be.

>> No.4247670

>>4247645
>BBQ
>sweet

try again, this time without the sweet. the only part of barbecue that should even be remotely sweet (though i think it shouldnt) is the sauce, which is exponentially less important than the meat itself. i promise you that well prepared barbecue (of any american style- kc, texas, carolina, etc) will likely be the best american quisine you can find.

>> No.4247686

>>4247670
I'm well aware.
They only had the opportunity to dry sugar-based dry-rubbed smoke 'q. I dunno what style that is/would be as American cuisine is still fairly new to me. I like the one that's brined, cold smoked and brushed with vinegar sauce while being finished on the grill, whichever that is, but alas the place I wanted to take my cousins to that had that one, Abner's, razed to the ground. I was left to take them to this place that had only the sweet dry-rub-smoked-then-sweet-sauced version. It's good, and I appreciate it, but it doesn't compare for my tastes with the vinegar-based one.

>> No.4247688

>>4247670
>implying barbecue isn't sweet
youre dumb. you are really dumb. f'real

>> No.4247693

>>4247688
>if i say it, it must be true!

only a very small portion of barbecue in america is sweet. and that shit is nasty compared to the shit that's actually, you know, good.

>> No.4247700

Canadian here.
Never had cornbread loaf growing up, but my parents use to make these fnatastic corn bread muffins.
You heat that shit up, cut it in half a small pat of butter or jam and soon you're in heaven. Goes good with some soups and salads I find.

>> No.4247708

>>4247639
Since you have been such a peach, here is a good'n.

This is a straight up sustenance cornbread. It's usually cooked in a skillet to get a nice dark bark on the bottom, but you may be able to pull off a decent cornbread from a square glass pan (how the Yankees do it).

TRUMAN CAPOTE'S FAMILY CORNBREAD

1tbs butter or bacon grease
2 eggs
2 c buttermilk
1tsp sugar ( to cut the sour in buttermilk-you shouldn't be able to taste the sugar)
1 tsp salt
1tsp baking soda
2c stone-ground white cornmeal

Preheat oven to 450. Place butter/drippings in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, and place it in the oven (no skillet, skip this step). Combine all the wet ingredients together, then combine all the dry ingredients together. Then mix the dry into the wet, stir just enough to combine (their will be lumps). Pull skillet from the oven, pour the mix in and return the skillet to the oven. Bake until browned and pulling away from the pan, about 20-25 min.

To bake in a glass pan, just grease the pan and pour the mix in. Bake as usual.

>> No.4247713

>>4247693
>if i say it, it must be true!
that applies to you, you know. find me a few national brands of barbecue sauce that don't have sugar as one of the top three ingredients

>> No.4247716

>>4247645
Are you the guy from Europe (sorry don't remember what country right now) that married a chick from South Carolina? Her parents own a restaurant.?

>> No.4247725

>>4247713
just because something has sugar in it doesn't make it sweet. see: tomato sauce

also, worthwhile barbecue would go with homemade sauce or sauceless. should i recommend our euro friends eat oscar meyer weiners and kraft mac n cheese while i'm recommending them mass produced condiments?

>> No.4247726

>>4247708
Awesome, thank you.

I have a glass pan, but I also have a dark metal pan I think I'll try it out in.

>> No.4247730
File: 31 KB, 440x594, sadimir poutin'.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4247716
Sorta. Didn't marry, but were together 6 years. Recently broke up (December 19th) cuz ho got herp and I don't have herp proving ho cheated so I kicked the bitch out.
Newlyish single. Kinda sucks.
>mfw no black booty to cuddle at night ;_;

>> No.4247738

>>4247725
>i cant prove you wrong so i'll just move the goal post a little farther
if its one of the top three ingredients, then yes it is sweet derp

>> No.4247740

>>4247738
clearly troll or retarded, but i'll still point out:

>the entire second half of that post

>> No.4247744

>>4247730
Dude! So sorry that happened! There's nothing like snuggling up to a big juicy booty at night.
Where are you from again?
What parts of the US have you visited?
Sorry if you already posted this info, just give me the post #.

>> No.4247753

>>4247744
Italy. See >>4247366, >>4245064 and North Carolina to visit ex-ho's family (not south) as well as Atlanta, Houston, Austin, Phoenix, Seattle, LA, New Orleans, Las Vegas, all the major cities of the northeast, SLC, DC, Richmond VA, Baltimore and Nashville.
Really love Nashville. Have driven through SC, AL, WV and a few other states. Easy to afford when you're one half of a DINK couple.

>> No.4247819

>>4247753
You should really visit Kentucky in the spring. I have been all over the US, and also the Netherlands. No place comes close to the beauty of Kentucky in the spring (I may be slightly biased). I recommend a trip during the first week in May, which is Derby Festival week. There are events, parades, a hotair baloon glow, steamboat race and parties all week long, ending in the Kentucky Derby (a horse race). It's like Mardi Gras, but a week long. People come from all over the world to party and gamble on a 2 minute horse race.

I would love to introduce you to some good ole' hillbilly cooking (and maybe some 'shine too)!

>> No.4248121

Here is a recipe for a northern-type cornbread.

"THIRDED" COLONIAL CORNBREAD

Cooking spray
3/4 c stone-ground yellow cornmeal
3/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 c whole-grain rye flower
1 tablespoon plus 1teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbs butter
3tbs blackstrap molasses
2 eggs
11/4 c milk

Preheat oven to 375. Spray an 8 X 11 baking pan with oil. Mix dry ingredients together. Mix the wet ingredients together. Mix wet and dry together, using as few strokes as possible. Pour the batter into the pan, and cook until, it pulls away from the pan, about 30 min.

>> No.4248269
File: 26 KB, 300x300, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4247708
>>4248121
I can dump more cornbread- type and cornmeal based recipes if anyone is interested. Southwestern cornbread, biscuits, spoon bread, hush puppies, pancakes etc.

>> No.4248288

>>4247819
Well, I /have/, actually, been to Kentucky: went to Bowling Green during my time in Nashville, but I was only there for an afternoon and evening, about six hours or so.

>> No.4248355

>>4247353
youve never heard of this?
shit nigga, you probably never payed attention.
black people drink grape flavored drinks and sprite.

>> No.4249204

>>4247819
>>4248288
>ending in the Kentucky Derby (a horse race).

Louisville here. The Derby is "a horse race"? That's like calling the Super Bowl "a ballgame". Nigga, it's THE horse race. When the Queen of England is coming over to see that shit you can go ahead and use the definite article.

>> No.4250500

>>4249204
I was describing Derby Festival week, and why anon should come for a visit. If the post had been about just the Derby, I could see your frustration. But it wasn't, so your pissy attitude is not needed.

>> No.4250511

>>4244856
I'm from the exact same area, and thats how I've seen it 99 times out of 100.

But I'm black