[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 89 KB, 633x635, 1357631649136.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4176593 No.4176593 [Reply] [Original]

How does /ck/ get their nutrition? Like ingesting pills of vitamins and various other things, or do you just eat vitamin rich foods? Does anyone subscribe to the idea that you can't get all your vitamins in one meal?

>> No.4176611

>>4176593

the food police have got the guidelines so far out of whack that it is nearly impossible to meet them and stay under the sodium limit.

take a look at potassium, for example. no way in hell do most people come near getting the prescribed amount. then go look at potassium supplements, and they are about 5% of the supposed daily need.

just eat a variety. look at the food pyramid and follow it, but with a grain of salt.

>> No.4176612
File: 530 KB, 855x471, 1358717021650.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A lot of the guys live off rice and beans and spices, so carbs and protein are covered pretty well. Farmers market veggies in the summer will reinvigorate a chef during the summer. However, I bet the none poorfags live like nutritional kings.

>> No.4176623
File: 79 KB, 250x254, sad_nacho_man3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4176612

i wonder if steve had a good christmas. i tried to take up a collection to send him a gift but /ck/ laughed at me.

>> No.4176625

>>4176623

*still laughing*

>> No.4176632

Multivitamin, eat a pastry or oats for brunch, have a huge dinner from the campus caf (focus on the vegetarian options, they tend to actually have vegetables), eat 2-6 pieces of fruit a day, eat meat at least 3x a week.

If I had my own kitchen, I'd probably live off of beans and veggie-heavy omelettes.

>> No.4176640

>>4176593
It's nearly impossible to meet the guidelines for nutrition.

My view is that humans have been eating like shit for forever. Peasants living off of whatever they could grow/forage. Eskimos lots of fish and fat. For most of history (and still in many countries) people eat a fairly limited diet and still survive.

That being said, with today's access to such a variety of fresh and delicious foods, you can't go wrong eating a variety. Just try to stay away from too much processed food because it's usually providing little nutrition.

I started eating like this and have stabilized my weight very nicely. If I make a cake it's got butter and eggs and milk and those things all provide nutrition. If I buy a twinkie and eat that, I'm just getting oils, chemicals and white flour.

I also tend to stay away from vitamins. It's fairly difficult to know how much you're actually getting and you can't absorb all forms equally. Some of them you just plain pee out. Some of them actually work. I've heard that loading up on synthetic vitamins can be harmful to your liver.

So again, eat fish, meat, veggies, fruit, beans, grains, nuts and seeds, seaweed and you'll be covered probably.

>> No.4176670

>>4176640
People were eating a diet that mainly consisted of "whole foods" in the past. I think that is the big difference.

That and physical exercise.

>> No.4176684

I take fish oil but that's about it.
Do multivitamins actually benefit anything? According to the /fit/ guide most of them are useless.

>> No.4176685

>>4176593
I have never once taken a vitamin.

It's just more liberal bullshit.

>> No.4176691

>>4176685
I have never once taken a vitamin. I am a liberal.

>> No.4176698

>>4176691
Can confirm. Also a liberal, never taken a vitamin.

>> No.4176725

I generally eat a pretty balanced diet, although I eat more fruit and veg than you'd see on a food pyramid, but I take vitamin D because I'm inside a hell of a lot, and I take fish oil because /fit/ told me to and /fit/ are scary.

>> No.4176997

I take a multivitamin. My diet is fairly balanced, but they're cheap in huge quantities and the doses of fat-soluble vitamins aren't anywhere near high enough to give me vitamin poisoning, so I figure, why the fuck not?

>> No.4177021

I take vegetarian vitamins ever since I went to the green side last year. I don't think I need it though. I no longer eat meat or fish, and I don't eat as much sweets as I used to. I eat more vegetables and just healthier in general.

So I don't think I really need them.