[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 55 KB, 460x360, chickpeas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4170215 No.4170215 [Reply] [Original]

So, I blew all my money over new years and christmas - pay day is on Wednesday

Give me some ideas for what to make for my dinner (no seafood or things from a packet/tin) when I finally have cash again!

Pic related, been pretty much living off them for the past fortnight

>> No.4170216

>hasn't been paid in over 20 days

Confirmed for food stamps.

>> No.4170219

They don't pay people monthly where you live?

>> No.4170343

how much money will you have to work with and what sort of kitchen equipment do you have, oven, stove top, bbq etc? What styles of food do you like and are you happy to eat most other meat other than seafood and a wide range of veggies?

>> No.4170365

standard kitchen really, oven , stove, grill - have a BBQ but it's far too cold to use that!

Normally make: Curries/chilli's/pizza's/fajita's/falafel/stir fries

I was gonna do myself a steak some fries and some salad with a sauce, but just thought that was a bit boring and thought I'd see if anyone suggests anything interesting!

>> No.4170367

oh, and apart from seafood I'll eat pretty much anything...except maybe beetroot that stuffs gross

>> No.4170382

here is some things i'll be doing for dinner over the next month if you want any recipes let me know

Veggie Casserole with Cheese sauce and Chicken in burn butter with sage

Roast chicken with baked veggies and homemade gravy

Pork streak and white bacon cabbage with red wine gravy

beef stroganoff

Meat mince stuffed sapsicums with melted cheese

homemade burgers

beef roulades stuffed with mushroom bacon and olives with zucchini and garlic mash

chicken bacon and chorizo soup

Lasagne

Apple pork with bacon, peas carrots and cabbage

Paprika cream chicken

Chicken and procsiuto saltimbocca with mushooms and spinach

>> No.4170386

>>4170219
Most people here get paid biweekly, weekly for blue collars

>> No.4170426

>>4170382

The stuffed peppers and the paprika chicken sound interesting

Probably won't make it this week but if you're not busy the burger recipe wouldn't go amiss either been meaning to try and make them for a while

>>4170386

Still, you'd have thought he'd least be aware that some people get paid monthly! (for the record I have a blue collar job, I've no idea why I get paid monthly tbh)

>> No.4170433

>>4170426

American here, I've had probably 20 or 30 odd jobs in my life plus a handful of "real jobs" and I've never even heard of a place that pays monthly. Where do you live and what kind of job is that?

>> No.4170446

The UK, I lug stuff around a warehouse basically

It's only really low wage stuff that gets paid weekly/bi weekly here (I'd expect to get paid weekly with my job but for whatever reason don't)

>> No.4170452

>>4170426
Paprika chicken for 6 (you can freeze and serve later)
2 (1.3kg chickens) cut into 6 peices
1tbs olive oil
2 brown onions halved and thinly sliced
1 tbs sweet paprika
2 tbs hungarian paprika
1/2 tbs hot paprika
3-4cloves garlic thinly sliced
2tsp fennel seeds
4 medium diced tomatoes
435ml chicken stock
110g sour cream
1/4 cup chopped parsley

method:
season the chicken with salt and pepper.

heat oil in large heavybase saucpan over a medium heat. cook half the amount of chicken for 3-4 each side or until crispy skinned. transfer to a paperlined tray and then cook the rest

add onion and garlic to the pan cook until garlic becomes golden then add the paprika an dfennel seeds.

cook for 1 minute then stir in tomato and stock. Add the chicken and bring to the boil

once boiling reduce heat to low and cover whiel simmering for 50mins.

uncover and simmer for another 25 mins to reduce once removed from the heat stir in the sour cream and sprinkle with parsley

during the cooking phase i like to add a little fresh chilli at the stage where i put in the onion and garlic

>> No.4170457

>>4170426
homemade burgers
50g breadcrumbs
500g beef mince
1 diced brown onion
1 tsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
4 tsp Garlic powder
1/2tsp bicarb soda
small pinch of ground cummin
15-25ml of whole fat milk
3 rashes bacon diced
if the mixture is dry add an egg, if sloppy add more bread crumbs.

Method:
Caramelise the onion and cook the bacon. then let them cool. once cooled mix all ingredients thoroughly together. make patties of your desired size and cook to your taste i like these medium rare.

I serve them on burger buns with bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese (that i melt on the patties as i cook them), aioli, red onions and pickle.

simple but good

>> No.4170464

>>4170457
I also add 2 tsp of dried oregano, this is really fucking important as it cements the flavour from good to awesome!

>> No.4170492

>>4170426
Stuffed Green or Red Peppers
2 tablespoons olive oil
500g mixed pork and beef mince
1 large brown onion small dice
4 cloves garlic minced
1 medium diced tomato
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chilli powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 rashes bacon very thinly diced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp hungarian paprika
1-2 small red or green or both peppers for thin dice
1 small carrot very small dice
4-6 medium/large green or red peppers for stuffing
4-5 tablespoons fine ground parmesan cheese
1 cup mature cheddar or mozarella

Method

Add the olive oil to a medium to large skillet/pan and set to a medium heat.

Fry the chopped onion, minced garlic, fine diced peppers and carrot on a medium, once the onion starts to get translucent

add the bacon and keep frying until starting to brown.

Add the mincemeat until starting to look cooked then add the cumin, chilli, oregano, paprikia salt and pepper and diced tomato. dook trhough until the tomato gets soft and the meat looks cooked but not too brown.

take the meat mixture off the heat and let cool, when completley cool mix the parmesan through.

while the meat is cooling preheat the oven to 185C

Cut the tops of the peppers and scoop all the seeds out. be sure to save the tops! Stuff the peppers with the mince and place upright in a casserole dish with the tops that you saved on top.

Cook for 20 minutes then remove the tops and add the shredded cheddar or mozarella on teh top and cook for another 15-20 minutes

>> No.4170501

>>4170382
I'm interested in making lasagna this week, care to share a recipe?

>> No.4170504

>>4170501
hmm my gf usually makes the lasange and her recipe while awesome is all in german i could translate the ingredients but not the method.. atleast not well

>> No.4170513

OP here

Cheers you're a legend

>> No.4170525

>>4170513
no worries man, glad to help! HOpe everything turns out for you well! Get some fucking real food in your stomach mate!! haha

>> No.4170656

>>4170504
I'd love to see it in German (and I could help you translate the instructions if you'd like).

>> No.4172261

I've never had a chickpea, what do they taste like?

>> No.4173414

>>4172261

Like chickpeas

>> No.4173470

OP is a dutch student. They get the moneys from the government around the 24th