[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 572 KB, 1600x1200, IMG_0167.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4169453 No.4169453[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So, I take it most of you hate this/make your own pizza/or prefer the chains, but I actually love this shit. Tastes better than the chains, i dont have a lot of local places and i get each for like 5 bucks flat which is nice for my student budget and cheaper than making my own.
Anyway, anyone else prefer the frozen selection or am i alone with shit taste buds?

>> No.4169510

I like a nice cheap Digiorno or Tombstone once in a while, but do I prefer it to a good pizza joint? Hells nah.

>> No.4169516

I think many of the frozen pizzas are better than chains.

But I prefer my homemade pizza to the rest (inb4 shitstorm). Although I don't replicate the grease-factor of the other brands (which is sometimes what I feel like), the quality of ingredients in my pizzas can't be found in frozen/chain pizzas.

>> No.4169522

I personally prefer Red Baron pizza over the chains.

>> No.4169528

I prefer most pizzerias over anything but Culinary Circle frozen pizzas. But the grocery store is open all night, and most places close before 9.

Pizza is great drunken bachelor chow.

>> No.4169541

If I want a proper pizza and money is no object I go to a handful of local places. If I want a pizza that is cheap and still OK I get a red baron. Chains do nothing for me these days. They are too expensive considering the quality. Red baron isn't much worse and is a fraction of the price. Good pizza is way better and doesn't cost that much more.

>> No.4171106

better than that would be buying your own pizza crust and toppings, and using vegan cheese instead of BGH saturated cow cheese.

>> No.4171126

Freschetta is the best of the frozen pizzas imo.
Lean cuisine is okay too.

>> No.4171154

my dad and i are crack addicted to digiorno pizza

freschetta too

if we actually fed ourselves i think thats what we would end up eating every day

>> No.4171158
File: 904 KB, 150x150, 1358732050113.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4171106

>> No.4171186

I worked at a local pizzeria for a few years, and we made everything from scratch that we could. Mainly the dough, sausage (freshly ground pork), sauce, fresh sliced vegetables, shredded the cheese "by hand" (food processor with an attachment), etc. We didn't make the pepperoni but we looked into it. It was a lot of labor, but worth it. No illusions, these were still just your average American pizzas. A slight bit above the average, I suppose, but nothing as "pure" or "gourmet" as a Neapolitan. I personally don't think there's anything special about a Neapolitan, but we weren't buffalo mozzarella or "00" flour -- so let's just face the facts.

When I left and could no longer eat free pizza, I decided to buy a stand mixer and replicate everything we did in the store to the letter but on a much smaller scale. Amazon had on sale a brand new Kitchen Aid Pro 600 for $200. 6 quart bowl with a 575 watt motor.

>Tim Allen growl

A few weeks went by and I finally got a meat grinder, food processor, etc. to go with it and started making pizzas at home on a regular basis. Mostly sausage, bell pepper, red onion, mushroom, and black olives. A day's work would produce enough dough and toppings to make over a dozen pizzas. The dough gets better as the days go on. It was about $3 a piece and I spared very little expense. That's just bulk shopping for you.

Then I ate proceeded to figuratively eat myself to death on pizzas. Why wouldn't you? Isn't that the dream?

>If I could make this at home and have it taste as good, I would eat nothing but this all day err'day.

The mere sight of a pizza makes me ill now.

Moral of the story: Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Keep doing what you're doing. I think pizza is one of those things that should be hard to obtain, so you only get to enjoy it every once and awhile. Like blow.