[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 15 KB, 280x280, fm106.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4104431 No.4104431 [Reply] [Original]

>Fancy dinner party.
>Having filet mignon.
>Guest wants it well done.
What do I do?

>> No.4104441

Cook it medium-rare and ask if they want you to throw it back on the grill, but wait until everyone is served first.

>> No.4104437

Boot him from your fancy dinner party because he does not know what "fancy" means.

>> No.4104445

>>4104431
Ruffie in fillet then when passed out shove two pounds of raw hamburger up the pooper.

>> No.4104469

cook it the way they asked and dont be a sperglord

>> No.4104472

Burn it black.

>> No.4104474

>>4104469
bingo

>> No.4104476

chide them playfully that it will taste better cooked less, then make it however they ask. If they complain (which they won't, they probably only ever eat well done anyway) you can say "I told you so"

>> No.4104487

Might as well butterfly it and pour the A1 all over it for them.

>> No.4104506

I won't argue that they're not ruining a perfectly good steak, but you're not the one eating it. Just cook it the horrible way they want it and let them be the biggest asshole of the evening.

And next time you invite them to dinner, cook chicken. Save the steak for your friends who will properly enjoy it.

>> No.4104512

>>4104506
>Implying the only people with good taste are those that conform to you expectations

cmon man. I hate well done steak as much as the next /ck/er, but dont be hatin

To each his own

>> No.4104519

>>4104512
>Implying objectively ruining a steak is in good taste

>> No.4104523

>>4104519
>objective

I do not think that word means what you think it means

If that guy likes his steak well done, and you were going to give him a steak anyways, why does it matter

objectivity has nothing to do with it (especially since taste is one of the least objective things on earth)

>> No.4104528

>>4104431
Serve everyone else their rare/medium-rare meat, and casually "forget" about theirs. Five minutes later, quietly mutter "Oh shit," and excuse yourself to go back to the kitchen. Serve up the charcoal apologetically, and apologize often until this person leaves the room, then smirk and say something snide to his/her significant other.

>> No.4104529

>>4104506
Cook the chicken medium-rare

>> No.4104710

Cook a cheap shitty steak shaped like the filet and give it to him well done.

>> No.4104722

Comment on how the steak should be done in a nice tone.

Offer a piece of the Med Rare

Throw it in the microwave if they still want hard leather

>> No.4104728

>>4104506
OP may not being the one eating it but OP is the one who bought the meat.

If the guest doesn't like it, tough shit. They didn't have to come to the dinner party anyway.

>> No.4104729

ITT: everyone gets butthurt assmad because a large portion of people prefer meat well done.

>> No.4104734

Are you a bad host?

If you aren't, cook it the way they say. Maybe gripe about it, or give them a dirty look. They probably won't care, though, since they are probably used to it.

If you are, just flatly say "no, I won't cook it that way", and make this guest choose medium-rare or choose something else to eat. You probably started an altercation and pissed off the guest, and made yourself look like an asshole to the other guests, but your ideals are intact and maybe some other bad hosts at your party will respect you more.

>> No.4104740

Cook it the way he wants, don't be a fucking overbearing autist about food of all things.

>> No.4104742
File: 639 KB, 1632x1224, milksteak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4104729
Correction, a large portion of philistines prefer meat well-done. Old people, little kids, but not regular adults. Not these days. And we're talking about tenderloin here, not some cheap round steak.
O.P., purchase a top sirloin baseball cut for the finicky dipshit that won't be invited around again after this. They won't be able to tell the difference, especially after you cook the life out of their piece.

>> No.4104765

Buy a chuck steak, and cut it so it looks like a tenderloin and give that to him. If he wants it well done, it's not like he's gonna be able to tell the difference anyway, and cooking tenderloin well done is a huge waste of money.

>> No.4104770

Ask him politely but firmly to leave

>> No.4104786

>ITT sperglords

Cook it how he wants it. Why the fuck do you care?

>> No.4104798

>>4104770
This.

>> No.4104804

>>4104431
stop being an ass and cook the steak your guest wants.

>> No.4104826

You know I used to be butthurt about this sort of thing, but now I just don't cook steak / roast / anything I would serve rare at dinner parties unless I know everybody involved isn't a tremendous faggot. I just don't wanna deal with it. I stick to cuts that benefit from braising or slow roasting and leave it at that.

>> No.4104846
File: 126 KB, 600x400, 6a00d8341c630a53ef0133effc52f9970b-600wi.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you filet is tough after its cooked to well then you need to find better quality meat or learn to cook.

>> No.4105160

Ask him politely but firmly to leave.

>> No.4105162

>>4104431
Cook it well done. A meal is about taste and catering to someones personal preferece is much better than doing something just "because it's fancy"

>> No.4105164
File: 191 KB, 422x340, 1348675033957.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4104742
Is that an M&M side ?
>mfw

>> No.4105166

ask him to try it first and if he does not like just finish cooking it. There's no need to be a bad host or be offended.

>> No.4105172

>>4104431
Throw down a shitty cut of meat from the freezer, no point in wasting a filet. Deliver it to him blasting techno.

>> No.4105182

>cook something that's typically prepared to personal preferences
>get mad at personal preferences

Anyone who does this is a shitty host. If you want everything to eat the same shit, make chicken or fish.

Fancy dinner party my ass, too many faggots on /ck/ that don't understand basic etiquette.

>> No.4105190

OP is a fail cook for even stopping to think about it. Cook your guest a beautifully well done steak to the best of your ability and let him enjoy it.

Go on, make a fuss, your other guests won't be back either.

>> No.4105192

Ask them if they want ketchup.

Idiots.

>> No.4105194

>>4105192
4chan trolling doesn't work in the real world.

>> No.4105198

>>4104770
Thanks Hank Hill

>> No.4105211

ignore, cook it medium and serve and sit down, then if they complain then you are supposed to excuse yourself to throw it back on the grill making it a noticeable inconvenience.

>> No.4105213

>>4105190
>Cook your guest a beautifully well done steak to the best of your ability

But the problem is that any steak cooked past medium cannot be cooked "beautifully", if you have ever eaten rare / med rare then I don't see how you can ever consider well done palatable

>> No.4105232

I'd have a cheaper cut as a fall back. Cut it in a circle.

>> No.4105247

>>4105213
I would consider any well done steak that is still juicy and tender to be "beautifully cooked" it can be done, just requires a bit more monitoring and pull the steak off the heat just before it actually gets to well done and the residual heat carries it into that final sweetspot you're looking for.

It might not be to the rare side's liking but it is in no means ruining a good piece of meat, it's the cooks who get pissy about having to cook something well done, then stop caring and send out a dried up burned piece of shoe leather who are worse than the person who ordered it well done.

>> No.4105252

I would probably strongly urge them to reconsider since you bought the meat. Maybe cook it properly first and have them try it. if they REALLY don't like it you can always cook it more.

Perhaps they never had filet and think you're cooking some $2 shit cut from the supermarket.

>> No.4105259

>>4105164
it looks like gourmet jelly beans. Probably desert, no idea why it's on the same plate as the main course.

>> No.4105265

Do they know what well done means or do they want a steak that just not bleeding everywhere?
I'd assume the latter and make it medium well to well so its that very faint pink in the middle. if they complain then toss it back on to well.
A well done steak can still be juicy if a bit more tougher if made properly.

>> No.4105267

>>4105247

I'm going to disagree to your entire post.

Any "sweetspot" you are after cooking a well done steak is not a sweetspot, you cannot get a juicy and tender well done steak that is by any means comparable to medium rare, what you are describing is what a medium rare steak would be like, it makes no sense to continue cooking the meat while still hoping you end up with what you got minutes before.

>It might not be to the rare side's liking but it is in no means ruining a good piece of meat

Except that cooking meat well done pushes it past any point where it is the most delicious, so it is ruining the meat.

> it's the cooks who get pissy about having to cook something well done, then stop caring and send out a dried up burned piece of shoe leather who are worse than the person who ordered it well done.

Becuase you them, you are asking for a piece of meat to be cooked past the point at where it has the most flavour and is the most juicy/tender, you are basically ordering your food to be cooked to a lesser quality than what i could be cooked at, so to some cooks (i would still server you a well done steak with a disapproving look) they may as well shit on the meat because it would add to the message you have given them that is "I want my meat cooked longer than it needs to be, comprimising its flavour".

>> No.4105273

>>4105259
it's a reference to it's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
It's the favorite food of retard of the gang Charley. Milksteak and a side of jelly beans. Its literally steak boiled in milk.

>> No.4105275

90% of the time it's the colour that puts people off. If there was some way of making medium rare steak look grey they would all eat it. It's stupid as hell. Well done meat is fine if the cut calls for it.

>> No.4105276

>>4105267

Get your head out of your ass, you're not eating the god damned steak.

I like my steak mid rare. My mum likes heres like shoe leather.

WAHHH MUM YOU DON"T LIKE HOW I EAT MY FUCKING STEAKS.

PS OP, throw the steak in their face and shit on a plate, because that is what a well done steak tastes like.

>> No.4105282

ITT: Sperglords who can't understand that taste is subjective

>> No.4105284

>>4104441
This

Seriously, stop being a pretensious cunt. It's about pleasing the guest/customer, not imposing your "superior taste" to everyone. If someone doesn't like it medium rare (for whatever reason), why would you serve something unappealing to them on purpose? That's not being a good cook. It's being a dick.

>> No.4105288
File: 485 KB, 193x135, 5357.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4104519
subjective
the word you are trying to use is subjective
subjective

>> No.4105296

>>4105276

I don't see the problem with pushing better tasting meals onto people, I don't really care about catering to somebodies stubbornness about food.

In the rare case that the person legitimately likes well done steak then I would serve them well done steak, but the majority of people are scared of blood on their plate and are too close minded.

See how I replied to your stupid childish screaming? Wwhy do you feel the need to imply that people who have problems with others wanting to ruin their food can only do so by "crying and screaming" about it?

>> No.4105299

>>4105296
You're operating under the assumption that it's objectively better tasting. With taste, there's no such thing. If you're hosting a party, cook it to their tastes, because you're the goddam host. If I was at a dinner party, and someone asked for a well done steak, and the host was a big dick about it, I'd tell the host he's being a cunt. We get it, medium rare is considered by most to be best. But not by all.

>> No.4105306

>>4105299
>You're operating under the assumption that it's objectively better tasting. With taste, there's no such thing.

Taste is subjective, I guess I should be accepting of people who like to suck on their own shit and drink rain water, shouldn't I?

There is objectively more flavour in medium rare meat, it tastes better, playing the subjective card is another way of justifying your igorance.

>> No.4105312

>>4105306
But that's wrong you fuck.

There might be more flavour, but who are you to say it's better? And when you're the host, you're supposed to make food that people like. Is it really that hard to put the steak on for a couple minutes longer to make a guest feel good? Christ, you must have autism or something, because this is basic stuff here.

>> No.4105317

If using whole tenderloin:
Roast tenderloin to your desired doneness.
Slice of a piece for your guest(s).
Pan cook that piece to the doneness the guest(s) prefer.
Enjoy your tenderloin fillet while your guest(s) enjoy his/hers/theirs.

If using medallion fillets:
Cook guest(s) fillet(s) to /your/ desired doneness (not his/hers/theirs).
Keep the fillet(s) intended for your guest(s) on the heat and add your fillet.
Cook your fillet now also to your desired doneness. By the time your fillet is finished, their fillets will also likely be finished as well, so they can all come off the heat simultaneously. Everyone gets what they wanted.

>> No.4105318

>>4105306

Having more flavor doesn't mean it's "tastier". If the guest doesn't like said flavor, the food won't be "tastier". For all we know, he/she may like eating shoeleather.
What if your guest was a vegetarian / vegan? Would you shove the superior medium-rare meat their throat?

And yes, you should be accepting people who like to suck on their own shit and drink rain water.

>> No.4105323

>>4105296
You have your own stubborness about food. Everything else tastes like shit if it isn't cooked to your standards.

>> No.4105324

>>4105312

Yes I'm aware that catering to somebody is being a good host in the traditional sense, I never said it wasn't, but thanks for calling me an aspie anyway.

"Taste is subjective, I guess I should be accepting of people who like to suck on their own shit and drink rain water, shouldn't I?"

If you can't see how this applies to cooking a steak well done then by all means continue eating your burnt shoe steak and thinking that it tastes better than medium rare meat.

>> No.4105338

For some reason my favorite steak cut is flank and I can eat that shit well done or medium-rare and it always tastes so good to me.

>> No.4105341

>>4105323
>>4105318

Steaks are meant to be cooked medium rare, that is how they have the most flavour for what they are meant to taste like, if you want well done steak then you are better off eating someting else because that is not how steaks are meant to be cooked or eaten.

>> No.4105345

>>4105341
>meant to taste like
>meant to be cooked

You are a fucking moron. They may be preferred to be cooked and eaten that way by a lot or even a majority but they aren't "meant" to be cooked in a certain way.

>> No.4105356

>>4105341

You French?

>> No.4105359

>>4105345
>they aren't "meant" to be cooked in a certain way.

Bullshit, you cook something to get the most flavour out of it.

You don't boil steaks to make stock from the water.

>> No.4105373

>>4105359

That's like saying beef is meant to be served warm. And there are plenty of dishes to prove it wrong.

>> No.4105378

>>4105324
But I eat it medium rare, I just think you're a stubborn faggot

>> No.4105382

>>4105373
>That's like saying beef is meant to be served warm

That is too specific to challenge, but you would have problems with somebody wanting their beef piping hot when the dish required it to be cold, its the same principle.

>> No.4105396

>>4105324
Most people like it medium rare. I do. But if you're a host and your guest wants it well done, why not? Is it gonna disgust you during the meal? Seeing that one person, RUINING your pretty little fancy dinner party chewing that well done shoeleather (and god forbid: ENJOYING it)? Will it make you puke?

Boo-fucking-hoo.

If you can't break the purity of your perfect steak for a guest, just because they may not apreciate the flavor in medium rare, you fail as a host. And as a cook.

What's the point in cooking for others if they don't enjoy it?

>> No.4105407

>>4105382

I see your point, but I'd probably understand. Maybe they don't like cold meat. Is it a pity that they won't enjoy the delicious carpaccio or tataki I made? Yes. Am I going to be a little bitch about it? No, I'll just serve it in a way they like.

>> No.4105416

>>4105407
> Am I going to be a little bitch about it? No, I'll just serve it in a way they like.

I don't want my guests eating food that doesn't taste how it is meant to taste, but by all means continue thinking you are more morally right for taking the "oh its such a pity!" position.

>> No.4105420

>>4105416
YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER, steak isn't "meant" to taste medium rare. It is meant to taste cooked. Cooked can be rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, or well, and all are perfectly acceptable. Seriously, stop sperging about this.

>> No.4105421

>>4105416
So you don't want your guests to enjoy your meal. Great. It's like you have this pathological need to feel superior. They're fucking adults with tastes, likes and dislikes, not helpless lost souls that you need to teach how "the perfect steak" tastes like.

>> No.4105422

>>4105420
>YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER, steak isn't "meant" to taste medium rare

They are

>> No.4105430

>>4105421
>So you don't want your guests to enjoy your meal.

I'd rather cook them something else cooked how it is meant to which they will enjoy more than a well done steak.

By your logic any chef that feels that their meals should have the garnish that they are presented with has this pathological desire to be superior. At what point do you decide its acceptable to let thing slide? Adding ketchup to steak, salting the steak on your plate, shoving it up your ass for ten hours then swallowing it without chewing?

>> No.4105433

>>4105422
Saying it again doesn't make it true. Steak is meant to be inside a cow. Humans weren't initially meant to butcher and cook cows. This means that our decisions on how to cook this piece of meat are totally contrived. There's no divine force that commands us to eat medium rare meat. If people like well done, let them eat well done. Does it hurt you?

>> No.4105439

>>4105422
That's not the point. I agree that's the optimal way to be cooked. But even if it's "meant" to be medium rare, that doesn't mean everyone likes that.

You guys need to stop the whole "YOU'RE EATING IT WRONG" thing.

>> No.4105442

>>4105430
>Not letting people put things on their steak

You don't host, do you?
it's weird and pretty gross, but different strokes for different folks. No need to sperg out about tastes man

>> No.4105450

>>4105430

Garnishes are supposed to complement a dish in taste and in presentation. Putting the garnish doesn't make them have that desire. It would if they refused to take it off if the client asked, because it would "ruin the dish".

>> No.4105455

>>4104506
What do you mean "properly enjoy it"? People like their meat cooked differently. I happen to enjoy a nice well-done steak every now and again, but I also really enjoy my steaks rare. To each his own.

>> No.4105463

>>4105455
You have to understand, pretty much everyone on 4chan are elitists cunts. I could never eat anything above medium without being disgusted, but that doesn't mean other people can't, fuck.

>> No.4105470

>>4105463
I guess I should rephrase a little:

I do enjoy a resilient steak on occasion. My father is very good at cooking a medium to well done steak, leaving it tender and yet resilient.

I cannot, so I tend to cook mine rare because it's easy.

>> No.4105688

>>4105267
>I have different opinions
>MY OPINIONS MAKE YOUR OPINIONS WRONG

Holy shit. I like my steaks medium-rare myself, but food and cooking is one of the most subjective things in the entire fucking universe so why don't you stop being so autistic about what people like.

>>4105162
>>4104786
>>4104740
These. Idiots.

>> No.4106244

I always make holiday meals for the in laws, usually a turkey or ham. This year I suggested a rib roast. They agreed and gave me a 100 bucks to shop. the thing is they are firmly againsed rare beef, no amount of reasoning will change thier minds. Things are black or white to them, raw or cooked.
So what I am going to do, Im going to roast that sucker to 165 and make a big ass pot of gravy to pour over it upon serving. It won't be succulent, but it will be fucking delicious.
A well done fillet is light years better than a well done sirloin.