[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 896 KB, 154x127, 1339051373468.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4031508 No.4031508 [Reply] [Original]

I didn't see a board for this, so if I posted in the wrong place, please feel free to direct me to the right one.

I want to start a garden this spring, but I have no idea where to start or what I should grow as a beginner. I know I want Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, and spices, but what are some other ideas that are rather simple for beginners?

What type of soil should I use?
How do I prep the area for gardening?
How often should I yank weeds?
Should I trim the plants?
How often should I water?
Should I set up fences to let plants grow on them?

Any protips like "sugar around this plant once a week" or anything like that would be helpful too.

>> No.4031522

This is probably the right board for gardening in general. We have homegrow threads here, though less often that it's getting to December. Certain more specific questions might be directed at /diy/.

Herbs in general are really, really easy to grow. Did you have anything specific in mind? What's your climate like?

>> No.4031531

>>4031522
Climate is Kansas.

Cold Winters
Warm Springs
Hot Summers
Cool Autumns

I heard from my father in law that herbs will grow with little to no attention, and rosemary is almost "weed" like in its growth to where it can become a pest if you don't use a lot.

I want to grow Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, and maybe some jalapenos but I do want to try other things. I just don't want to get into anything too hard as I am just starting out.

When do you recommend I start setting my Garden? What else do you think I should grow? What fertilizers should I use if any?

>> No.4031546

>>4031531
Rosemary isn't too bad since it doesn't spread like, say, mint does. It will get really huge if you let it. I'd keep herbs in pots or tilled areas away from the rest of your stuff.

Peppers are pretty forgiving. Tomatoes tend to attract a lot of pests and need a lot of water. I understand that neem oil works well as a pesticide and fungicide for both of these.

Some of your kitchen waste can be used as fertilizer. Not food, but stuff like eggshells and used tea or coffee. Composting is also definitely something to look into.

You generally want to plant stuff as early as possible, but late enough that there won't be a freeze and kill off your seedlings. A lot of your plants can be sprouted indoors before that time, though. It's usually easier to work with seedlings than to just go and plant seeds in the ground.

Herbs are easy to grow, and having fresh herbs makes a big difference. Rosemary, basil, mint, green onion, sage, whatever. Many people have these in their gardens/yards already, so you might not even have to pay anything to get started with these. Plant the herbs that you like to use, or that you want to use.

Potatoes are pretty easy, but don't bother with plain Russets, go for those fancy tiny ones that sell for like $8/lb. Carrots aren't too difficult either. I don't know what sorts of fruits grow natively in Kansas, but those will probably not be too difficult.

>> No.4031549

Sometimes you can get used coffee grounds for for free from your local coffee shop for fertilizer.

>> No.4031578

Prep area - Deweed all of it in the beginning. Get a hoe and just hack away. At the same time you'll be loosening the soil and mixing it all up which is good. Plant trimming is unneeded for the most part.

Certain plants do well with 'fences' like tomatoes for support.

I grew bell pepper and honestly while easy, it took a lot of watering and didn't get much per plant (esp when it's mostly hollow lol).

If you want, use a little potting soil directly around each plant / seed.

>> No.4031581

>>4031578
Also, if you like raspberries, get some. They're very easy, forgiving, produce a lot of fruit once settled and bugs don't tend to eat them much compared to other fruits.

You will need to set up something for the vines to grow on. Preferably wood.

Mine grew from a small plant to a small bush in a year or so. I'd recommend getting a larger plant so you don't have to wait lol

>> No.4031605

>>4031508
Dig up everything and make sure the ground is loose.
Get lots of soil.
You don't want weeds. ever.
If you see weeds, pull them out asap, and check to see if there are any starting to grow around.
You trim plants when it's necessary.
Either when it has yellow or dead parts.
You want to water about two times a day. You never want to overwater, just keep the soil moist.
Fences are fine.

Since we're in winter, now is a perfect time to start, Get your seeds and put them in a jar, keep them separated by type. on the top of the jar put sandpaper with the rough side on the inside.
Give the jar a few shakes depending on the sides of the seeds.
What this does is create small laceration on the thick protective layer of the seed. Making it easier for them to absorb water and quickly spawn into seedlings.

Rule of thumb when planting is to make sure you just stick them under the soil proportionate to their length so they have an easier time growing.

Fertilize Two times a year, about when spring starts, and when autumn starts as well.

Remember to talk to your plants, to take care of them and feed them accordingly, the more you pay attention, the less you have to run to the store to buy shitty vegetation and enjoy more of your delicious plant ovaries.

>> No.4031608

>>4031605
Forgot to mention, start preparing your seeds during winter. Don't plant them now, wait till spring to set up your garden.
After you finish the jar thing, put them in a bag then in the fridge marked until spring.

>> No.4031609

>>4031608
Oh and compost is your friend. Organic stuff + grinding = better results.