[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 26 KB, 460x290, 2535_apple_sandwiches.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3993601 No.3993601[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm sick of eating junk food just because it's easy and fast. I'm tired all the time and of course have put on some weight. But, I don't really have a lot of time or money to make healhy meals because of school and interning.

What are some easy/cheap meals or snacks that aren't totally unhealthy?

>> No.3993604

peanut butter that you dip apples or a banana in.
ants on a log
pretzels with cream cheese

>> No.3993606

fruit, bread, water.

>> No.3993615

>>3993604
you could try the toffuti cream cheese substitute with pretzels. I am addicted to that combo.
Also meals:
Spaghetti
Pasta/Potato/egg/chicken/tuna salad
Oatmeal
Cut of meat and steamed veggies

>> No.3993617

>>3993601
>oatmeal for breakfast
>light soup for lunch
>rice, beans, greens, and lean proteins for dinner

/thread

>> No.3993623

I love snacking on veggies, but i'm the worst at smothering them in ranch.

Is there a ranch that's not super fattening? (Even if i have to make it at home)

>> No.3993634

>>3993623
Please leave and never come back.

>> No.3993636

>>3993634
>>3993623
I missed something

Also, >>3993606 this.

>> No.3993639

>>3993636
It's called tzatziki you ignorant pleb.

>> No.3993641

>>3993601
>Buying anything in bulk is a good move.
It will seem like you're spending a lot, but if it's something you eat regularly, like rice or pasta, it's going to save you money in the long run.
>Frozen veges in catering packs are probably a good idea too, assuming you're not one of those students who neglects to eat their vegetables.
>If you have some time on your hands, cook a large quantity of whatever, then freeze it.
Most things can be frozen without being affected too much. Then when you want to eat it the next day, just take it out and leave it in the fridge to thaw overnight, then reheat when you're ready to eat.
>Get a good tupperware container that you can put leftovers in to take to school with you.
>Fruit makes a good snack if you have a sweet tooth.

>> No.3993644

Yeah I love apples and peanut butter! Man just apples by themselves are great.

Basically any fruits are good. Nutrition bars are good snacks when you're hungry. Maybe make a hearty stir fry (potatos, carrots, onions, etc.) and take some out to eat when you're hungry; that's what I do sometimes.

>> No.3993677

>>3993639
Oh I know tzatziki, I didn't understand the term "ranch".

>> No.3993678

For breakfast: oatmeals and other porridges and gruels, cereals, scones with jam etc.
Porridges/gruels are always cheap to make and as for cereal, you can make your own delicious granola for pennies per serving. As for scones, I recommend egg scones because they're simple and fool-proof to make. This time of year, you can get 5lbs of flour for about a buck and that makes roughly... 60 egg scones, using a single egg for every four scones.
As a snack between breakfast and lunch, eat a fruit. Currently in season are persimmons, which are delicious (sold by the box in my area, 25 for $9, which seems expensive, but ain't) and pears, which are my two favourite fruits and why mid-to-late autumn is my favourite fruit season.
For lunch, eat a light protein and a vegetable such as stir-fried chicken with ginger and scallions and sautéed spinach or pork chops and curried honey-glazed carrots.
Between lunch and dinner, I like to have a small snack such as a handful or two of almonds or some jerky.
Finally, at dinner, have something sensibly, but still nutritious and filling, like beans, lentils or chickpeas with a grain like rice, pasta or barley, a stewed dish and other one-pot meals.
If so inclined, dessert isn't a death sentence, just don't go overboard.

>> No.3993683

>>3993678
Don't:
-buy crisps/potato chips: they're expensive when you consider you just paid $5 for 25¢ of potatoes, salt and oil.
-eat out: whatever the meal, it's almost always cheaper to make it yourself.
-forget that anything can be useful: chicken thighs, for example, are the most commonly wasted food in the world. From chicken thighs, you can get cooking fat, delicious meat and bones for stock, but most people stop at delicious meat and throw out or eat the useful skin/fat and throw out the bone. The skin/fat can be rendered for two purposes: cooking fat and lardons.
Always:
-check sales/offers: you can live high on the hog while keeping your head out of the clouds if you shop smart. Currently, a local grocery is selling whole tenderloins of beef for $5/lb. You know what tenderloin is, right? Fillet mignon, that's what, and that goes for well over triple that price. Get a friend, buy tenderloin together, divide it up accordingly and cut yourselves some steaks.
-shop at cheaper markets: you don't need organic, locally grown, free-ranged, grass-fed chicken eggs, do you? Nuff said.
-buy dry goods in bulk: things are always cheaper when purchased in bulk and since dry goods can last nearly forever, it's best to get them in large quantity.

>> No.3993695

>>3993678
>>3993683
>>3993644
>>3993641
Thanks! Writing these down and going shopping tonight.

>> No.3993715

>>3993695
>what is a printer

>> No.3993719

>>3993715
I don't want all of it. It's not that hard to write a few sentences that sum up all of it instead of reading through walls of text.

>> No.3993753

I like to snack on wasabi peas. I buy mine from the farmer's market, but it'd be cheaper to just make them yourself by getting a giant bag of dried peas for dirt cheap and some wasabi paste. They're flavorful and low in calories.

In general I love to snack on fruits and vegetables. I try to limit it though because I'll end up running through all my produce and I try to go to the grocery store as little as possible.

>> No.3993820

>>3993683
>you don't need organic, locally grown, free-ranged, grass-fed chicken eggs, do you?
yes i do cause im vegan, have morals and im a hipsturr

>> No.3993849

>>3993606
This comes weirdly close to my diet. I usually eat bread with honey or a self-made sandwich and something like an apple along with it. I eat more on weekends though.

>> No.3993877

Eggs and toast is easy in the morning. That and cereal.

Omelets for dinner with whatever vegetables you have.

Cut up red peppers are also a healthy snack.

>> No.3994069

>>3993877
Oats are most definitely cheaper than cereal.
Box of cereal goes for like $3 and lasts a week or two.
$2.00 of oats lasts like a month.
Also, you can prepare oats in the microwave with water. If you want cereal for breakfast then you would need to buy milk with it.

Eggs are cheap though, so buy those.
If you have a smartphone just get one of those apps to look up sales for local grocery stores.

>> No.3994075

>>3994069
absolutely correct on the cereal. Cereal has got to be the biggest ripoff of the century. 3 bucks for a box of puffed grains that's mostly air? And it's never filling at all and you'll get to the point where your stomach aches before you actually feel full.

Porridge though... that stuff makes me feel all warm and happy inside. and you get so much out of it for the same price as a box of cereal. AND it's versatile as fuck and you can dress it up with whatever you want from peanut butter to honey to raisins to nuts to chunks of baked apple and cinnamon.

>> No.3994216
File: 530 KB, 985x700, cook1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You're welcome OP

>> No.3994225

>buy a shitload of bananas
>buy some peanut butter
>eat bananas with peanut butter

>> No.3994566

>>3993601
fruit.