[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 83 KB, 450x338, 456034751_7f94fb3f4b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3975994 No.3975994[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Heyo, /ck/

I don't usually visit /ck/ (although after a look at your front page, I think I might visit more often) but I just made myself some turkey burgers, and wanted to ask your advice for the next time I make some. My standard recipe is pretty loose and very simple. Here it is:

Mix 1-1.25 pounds ground turkey (lean turkey works, but is much less delicious and makes a patty with an unpleasant, skinlike texture. My preference is 7% fat) with 2/3-3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs (sometimes a bit more for larger amounts of turkey) and an egg. Form into patties and cook on medium heat, rotating and flipping as needed, until insides are no longer pink (and not a second more, if you can help it). Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4-6 patties.

Being a college student, I cook them with a pan rather than the the traditional grill. But anyway, do you guys have any suggestions on possible ways I could improve this recipe? Perhaps an idea for a topping I might not have thought of?

(pic related, but not actually my burgers)

>> No.3975997

Turkey Burgers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 small red onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground turkey
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon thyme
Saute the onion in olive oil for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.
In a bowl, add the ground turkey, slat, pepper and herbs. Then add the cooking onion mix. Mix until well combined but do not overwork the meat.
Form the meat into patties and grill or fry. Serve with toasted buns, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced avocados, and 1000 Island dressing.

that's my recipe for turkey burgers. not so sure about putting bread crumbs in burgers, that sorta makes it more like a meatloaf then.

>> No.3975999

Spicy Turkey Burgers
1 pound ground turkey
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 jalapeno, diced
1/8 red onion, diced
1/8 cup diced cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 tablespoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon cumin
dash worcestershire sauce
Preheat grill to high heat and lightly oil.
Combine all ingredients and form burger patties.
Place burgers on grill and cook 5-10 minutes per side until well done.

I also like them spicy sometimes....

>> No.3976001

also;

Caramelized Onion Turkey Burgers
1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
1/4 onion, grated
1 jalapeno, minced
2 tablespoons bbq sauce
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 large yellow onions, sliced
4 hamburger buns
Spicy Sweet Mayo;
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon horseradish
hot sauce, to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Heat the olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat and stir in the onions. Cook and stir until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
Combine the Spicy Sweet Mayo ingredients and chill.
Mix the ground turkey, onion, jalapeno, bbq sauce, worcestershire, liquid smoke, and spices in a bowl. Form into 4 patties.
Heat a grill plate over high heat and cook the patties until done.

>> No.3976045

>>3975997
I don't exactly have a full spice rack available at the moment, but I'll keep the recipe anyway. Does this recipe work without the parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, or are they necessary?

>>3975999
>>3976001
These look a bit complicated for my limited ingredients budget, but I DO love a good spicy turkey burger... I'll keep the recipes and try 'em out if the opportunity arises. Especially that Spicy Mayo mix, I'll bet that'd be delicious on just about anything.

>> No.3976071

>>3976045
never buy dried parsley, it's just tasteless green confetti. if you don't have fresh, just omit it or sub with a tiny bit of lemon juice, since parsley has a bit of a lemony flavor. I often leave the rosemary out since I'm not exactly a huge fan of it, though it does go well with turkey. Basically you can use whatever spice mix you want, and you can add or omit spices based on your preferences. so yeah, just go with it and error on the side of too little rather than too much. Dried spices are usually much more pungent than fresh ones. I made a sauce with too much dried sage in it and it just about turned me off to sage, and I've had to be careful with it ever since.

Yeah just play around with the recipes and spices, learn what your tastes are, likes and dislikes and that will help you a lot with your cooking skills.

>> No.3976343

Mix thyme, rosemary, sage and oregano in with the meat. Top patty with cornbread dressing, turkey gravy, and cranberry sauce. Put between two buttered buns and enjoy.

>> No.3976351

the secret is olive oil

>> No.3976331

Maybe adding some type of pepper to the burgers or as a topping.Maybe serrano peppers for a smokey flavor.Banana peppers.
Adding worcestershire sauce and maybe red or white onions and letting it mariande for a bit to give it flavor.

>> No.3976738

I make a salisbury steak out of turkey that is very good (according to me and my roommates' taste).

In the food processor goes:
>1 small carrot
>1 celery rib
>2 eggs
>2-4 cloves of garlic
>1 cup bread crumbs (from my homemade WW bread)
>1 tablespoon wrrshrshtrshire sauce (fuck English spelling)
>1 tablespoon soy sauce
>1 teaspoon salt
>1 teaspoon black pepper

Process to a smooth slurry, then blend with 1 pound cheap-ass ground turkey. This makes a fairly soupy batter-like mixture. You can't pat it into shape like beef. Instead, I cook it like pancakes. It makes a nice firm patty, with a good flavor and texture that ought to work quite well on a sandwich.

For the salisbury steak, I simmer the patties in mushroom gravy for about a half hour and then dish them up over egg noodles, but sticking them in a bun instead ought to work just as well.

>> No.3976827

>>3976738
Dammit, I forgot the onion. There's also half an onion in the starting slurry. (The other half goes into the gravy.)

>> No.3976866

>>do you guys have any suggestions on possible ways I could improve this recipe?

Yeah, throw away that flavorless turkey. Use beef with 20% fat. Ground short rib is ideal. If you can't find it, go to the butcher, buy short ribs and ask them to grind them for you. Keep the bones, you can use those to make stock. Do not at any fillers to the meat. If you start with the right meat you don't need any.

Then, cook it like this. A pan is actually preferable to grill since it creates the nice crust on the patty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afWK65oOdIw