[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 25 KB, 400x280, White-Bread.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3856791 No.3856791 [Reply] [Original]

All industrial food is based on something real you can make at home, and some people used to make at home.

How do I make white bread?

>> No.3856796

Do you want to make sliced bread or unsliced?

>> No.3856800

>>3856796
you comedian!

>> No.3856806

>>3856796
I think I know how to slice it.

>> No.3856811

Baking bread is a seriously complex order of cooking, and it's really much easier if you have a bread machine.

Since you're asking how, I'll assume you don't.
The short answer is, saunter out to a Goodwill and buy a used breadmachine, clean it up, use it 3 times to make bread and then get tired of making your own bread and return the machine to the goodwill again.

... hahaha.

If you are SERIOUS, though, I can give you a bread recipe.
Be aware.
Bread is delicate, complicated, and requires precision, timing, and a bit of luck in the environment!

>> No.3856814

>>3856811
No I'm pretty serious. One-purpose appliances and tools are dumb as fuck.

I'm probably not going to make my own bread. I just want to do it once. And who knows. Like that time I made my own butter.

>> No.3856816

I use this recipe:
Grandma VanDoren's White Bread(found on allrecipes)
3 cups warm water
3 tablespoons active dry yeast
3 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar
8 cups bread flour
In a large bowl, combine warm water, yeast, salt, oil, sugar, and 4 cups flour. Mix thoroughly, and let sponge rise until doubled in size. Gradually add about 4 cups flour, kneading until smooth. Place dough in a greased bowl, and turn several times to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled. Punch down the dough, let it rest a few minutes. Divide dough into three equal parts. Shape into loaves, and place in three 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch greased bread pans. Let rise until almost doubled. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 45 minutes(with a pan of water under them to lessen browning on the bottoms). The loaves may need to be covered for the last few minutes with foil to prevent excess browning.

Easy and nice light texture.

>> No.3856820

>>3856816
Can use a loaf pan?

>> No.3856821

How do I make marshmallows? And cotton candy? What about gummy worms? And nougat?

>> No.3856823

>>3856811
Don't listen to this tard. Couple of tries and you'll be a pro at basic bread(fancy breads will take some practice but worth it too). If you're really novice at baking in general try a no knead recipe to start- it will still be better than crummy sliced storebought bread.

As long as you follow instructions(and don't kill your yeast with overly hot water) you'll be fine.

>> No.3856826

>>3856820
>8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pans

if you have 9 x 5 that's fine too

>> No.3856828

>>3856821
Homemade Marshmallows
.75-oz unflavored gelatin (3 envelopes of Knox gelatin)
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cups light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Line 9 x 9-inch pan with plastic wrap and lightly oil it. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water. Soak for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine sugar, corn syrup and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a rapid boil and boil hard for 1 minute.
Pour the boiling syrup into soaked gelatin and turn on the mixer, using the whisk attachment, to high speed. Add the salt and beat for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes, add in the vanilla extract beat to incorporate.
Scrape marshmallow into the prepared pan and spread evenly (Lightly greasing your hands and the spatula helps a lot here). Take another piece of lightly oiled plastic wrap and press lightly on top of the marshmallow, creating a seal. Let mixture sit for a few hours, or overnight, until cooled and firmly set.
In a shallow dish, combine equal parts cornstarch and confectioners’ sugar. Remove marshmallow from pan and cut into equal pieces with scissors (the best tool for the job) or a chef’s knife. Dredge each piece of marshmallow in confectioners’ sugar mixture.
Store in an airtight container.
My batch pictured here made 36 big marshmallows. I often cut them down into smaller sizes. Enjoy!

>> No.3856831

>>3856821

I don't know about the rest, but gummi worms are easy.

Make very strong jello (use about 1/10 the water you normally would). Add a little citric acid powder (available at many supermarkets as well as drugstores) if you want them sour. Omit the citric acid if you don't want them sour. While the gelatin mixture is still hot, squeeze it out of a pastry bag (or a ziploc bag with a corner cut off) onto a silpat or into a basin of ice water.

>> No.3856832

>>3856821
1 (3 ounce) box Jello gelatin , any flavor
7 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup water

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan until the mixture resembles playdough.Place the pan over low heat and stir until melted.Once completely melted, pour into plastic candy molds and place in freezer for 5 min. When very firm, remove from molds.

Candy isn't that complex either brah. Just takes patience and accurate temperature generally.

>> No.3856833

ok, then let's have a Workshop of it.
Time now for,

Cooking Experiment: Bread
PREFACE
Bread's about as old as stone tools. Yeast risen bread was first eaten in ancient Egypt. That's how old leavening is.

Fascinating.

EQUIPMENT CHECK!
Tell me what you have to use.

If you have a HEAVY DUTY MIXER - with a --Dough Hook-- yes, that bendy-shaped hooklike PRONG you NEVER had a use for - your workload just got fractioned. A food processor with doughblades can also be handy.

BREAD PANS are basically unrecognizable by today's youth, so I don't expect you have one or know if you do. If you do please tell me.

BREAD PANS AND/OR PIZZA STONES: You're gonna need something to bake bread on. If you want bread quick, you want glass not metal.

There's no way you have a scoring tool. I'll make this short - to cut bread you want a very sharp knife.

PROOFING: You will NEED NEED NEED a glass or plastic ceramic bowl. You CAN NOT USE METAL.

a SPRAY BOTTLE that contains only water can be really helpful.

a DOUGH SCRAPER, a flat broad plastic or metal square, can also make life easier.

There's no way you have a baker's paddle
-3-

A SCALE would be EXTREMELY USEFUL.
So would an oven thermometer.

Lastly, you'll need a timer.

What do you have, OP?

>> No.3856838

not OP but I am interested in this as well.

>> No.3856839

>>3856828
>whisk on high for 12 minutes
So it's basically air jello. Interesting.

>>3856833
A hand mixer with hooks and whisks. A loaf pan. I guess I can find a spray bottle. I obviously have sharp knives. I don't have a pizza stone. I have glass bowls of many sizes. I don't know if it's oven proof though. I have a DIY dough scraper. No oven thermometer.

I didn't just wander into this board from /b/. I cook. I just haven't baked before.

Honestly, I doubt any housewife had all this shit a hundred years ago.

>> No.3856840
File: 90 KB, 345x345, 565e76364648.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3856833
>mfw my mom makes shredded wheat bread all the time by rising in her stainless steel mixing bowl.
where is your god now??

>> No.3856844
File: 110 KB, 800x600, 1323908759524.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>white bread

>> No.3856846

>>3856839
the glass bowl's not for baking, it's going to be for letting the bread dough rise. If you use metal it will react.

Next question is: How much time do you want to put into this bread? quickstarter breads can be done in an afternoon. But methods like the Sponge, or Indirect, can take DAYS. In tradeoff, you of course can get extremely high quality texture and the fully aged flavors you find only in European breads - not those pathetic mimicries at Safeway either.

I recommend something simple since you are just tinkering. How much time? A day or so?

>> No.3856849

>>3856840
Stainless steel's fine but I couldn't take my chances with OP knowing whether he had stainless steel.

You're just avoiding a yeast reaction with the proofing bowl.

PS. You're an asshat

>> No.3856851

>>3856839
They're just being douchey trying to make bread sound hard. Learn basic bread with simple recipes first- worry about their fancy nitpicky stuff later. A pan of water in the oven will result in a lighter, softer bottom crust though.

>> No.3856855
File: 77 KB, 600x509, 7855957579.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3856849
>PS. You're an asshat

I know you are but what am I??

>> No.3856860

>>3856814

bread machines don't really serve one purpose, there's a shitload you can do in a breadmaker even if you're not counting the bajillion kinds of bread you can make

>> No.3856861

while you decide how much time you want to spend cooking the bread, I'll go over some of the theory and application of breadmaking.

>> No.3856864

>>3856849
I want to make basic bread. Anything longer than a 24 hour rising period is outrageous.

>> No.3856865

Back then your wife would be doing all of that. You can't live your normal life and do everything the inconvenient way. theres no time.

>> No.3856872

KNEADING
is the word for beating the crap out of a lump of flour, water, leavening, and added ingredients.

it changes the basic ingredients into a smooth, and elastic bread dough, and it all works on the magic of Gluten. Gluten is a protein web that forms when two simple proteins in flour mix with liquid. It's like stretching and relaxing a rubber band - it gradually gets bigger and looser. You can do it with a mixer but many experienced bakers do it by hand - often because they simply enjoy doing it that way. When you start to knead a dough, it should be just a bit sticky. You should always have your hands greased or floured when you work a dough so it doesn't stick to the dough itself much. The dough will be smooth and elastic, and more... er... tacky than sticky.

RISING is what happens when the bread dough ferments. Yes, it ferments, from the Yeast. The gas Carbon Dioxide gets trapped in the sticky web of Gluten and streeetches and expands the bread just like a balloon, and the dough gets bigger.

Most doughs can only stand to about double, before the BUBBLE POPS, so to speak - and the dough falls back on itself T.T

>> No.3856873

>>3856864
ok, that's reasonable.
I'll draw up the recipe for you then

>> No.3856882

replicating shelf brand sandwich bread is going to be surprisingly difficult, actually. making nice sandwich bread isn't, but to exactly replicate industrially produced stuff is going to be a bit harder. is that precisely what you want to do?

cause otherwise something like this: http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2011/07/14/soft-sandwich-sourdough/ will be nice

>> No.3856886

Not trying to hijack this thread but I've seen quite a few threads with people talking about sourdough starters and "hydration." I somewhat understand the sourdough starter term but not he hydration term so much. I've only made bread before with home-made pizza dough so I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me get the the next level.

>> No.3856883

Generally when you make a bread, you

MIX it
KNEAD it
RISE it
SHAPE it
and RISE it one last time.

I'll give you the easiest quickest recipe I have, and then bombard you with details on the process - so you can proceed to hang out and garner as much info as you want before you give it a try.

Your ingredients are:
PART A:
2 cups bread flour (Please use bread flour! Not regular flour!)
1 tbsp sugar
1 package quick rising active yeast
1 1/4 tbsp salt

PART B
1 cup very warm water (about 120 degrees F, get the temperature right, this is very important.)
2 tbsp melted butter
1 cup more bread flour
Some nice oil

The BASIC DIRECTIONS are:
Mix PART A in the bowl with the mixer.
Add PART B, first the liquids and then gradually adding the extra flour until the dough is moist, but NOT sticky.

Knead 10 minutes.
Have the glass bowl oiled; Transfer to the glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in 80 degrees F until it doubles in volume - 30 to 45 mins.

Grease a 6-cup pan, punch down the dough, shape into a loaf, and place it seam-side-down into the pan.

Oil a piece of plastic wrap and set it over the top loosely.

Rise until it doubles again, once more 30 to 45 minutes.

Preheat to 450 degrees. Bake the bread 10 minutes.
Reduce to 350 degrees, 30 more minutes.
When the bread is done, it will sound hollow when you tap it.

Take the bread out of the pan, put it on a rack, and cool completely before you serve/use/eat it.

Now the basics are fully listed, let's go over how you ACTUALLY do this shit

>> No.3856899

The Mixing Process
Attach the paddle blade if you have one. Start by taking 2/3rds of the flour and all the other dry ingredients (the flour is pre-divided in the recipe, yay for that) and mix on low speed for 2-3 minutes while you add the liquid yeast mixture. You want to add as much flour as you need for the dough to clean the sides of the bowl. Now attach the dough hook if you have one. This will start the kneading process. Just add more flour to keep the dough from sticking.

>> No.3856913

>>3856886
Hydration refers to how much your water to flour ratio is. Basically this "A 100% hydration sourdough starter is a culture which is kept and fed with water and flour at equal weights. Like for instance 5 oz water to 5 oz flour. A 166% hydration starter is fed with equal volume of flour and water, which most typically is one cup of water (8.3 oz) and one cup of flour (5 oz)."

It's important to have the right type of starter for a recipe- if the hydration is wrong you may wind up with an overly wet or dry resulting dough.

>> No.3856919

>>3856913
PS- 100% hydration seems the most commonly used starter.

>> No.3856925

>>3856886

hydration simply refers to the amount of water proportional to the amount of flour. 100% hydration means a 50/50 ratio of water to flour by weight. if the water and flour are equal by volume (e.g: a cup of water to a cup of flour) then it is 166% hydration. it generally refers to starter cultures.

>> No.3856926

The Kneading Step
Let's assume you don't have a fancy dough hook, though, and you need to knead by hand. That's the case with a lot of hand mixers as they may not have the POWER they need to knead the bread...

Butter or flour your hands so they won't stick. I recommend using a little bread flour, it's the easy answer, but some people swear by a thin smear of butter. Work the dough with the HEELS of your hands. Push firmly, and pressure it against he work surface. The dough should fold over itself as you work.

Push the dough away from yourself, shove it and peel it off the surface, reform it into a loose ball, and then give it a quarter turn and shove it some more. Do this about 10 minutes. If you have a scraper it can be handy to keep the dough together at this point.

Once the dough gets smooth and elastic, you have developed the GLUTEN, and the bread dough is ready to rise. Failing this step means your bread dough won't rise properly (like trying to blow a bubble with unchewed gum it JUST DOESN'T WORK.)

Here's how you can test for success. Slowly, gently, stretch a little piece of dough, turning it in a circle as you stretch it out. If the dough can form a sheer membrane, thin enough that light comes through it, your bread bubblegum is ready to rock.

You can also use the thermometer method if you have an instant read. The center of the activated bread will read 79 degrees F when it's perfect.

>> No.3856927

>>3856913

huh you answered it for me with almost exactly the same info. i should refresh more.

>> No.3856933
File: 1.74 MB, 1280x960, seed&nutsourdough.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wow. I didn't know that making bread for the first time was this complicated.

>> No.3856956

So your dough survived kneading! Kudos, you're way ahead of the game now. You didn't let ramen packet powder or stray macaroni get in the dough, your dog didn't eat it etc. Let's move forward.

The Rising Process

You want to use a clean bowl that has been lightly coated with oil, and cover it with oiled plastic wrap, or a damp, very very clean dish towel. Put it aside to rise in a room with no draft (or the cover may get blown off) at about 80 degrees F.

... not everybody has an 80 degree F room.

You can cheat by preheating an oven from 0 to broil for FOURTY SECONDS. This will get an average oven around 80 degrees. Use an OVEN thermometer!
You can also take a pan of warm water, put a rack over it, and set the doughbowl on that.

But you mustn't rise the bread at LESS than 70 (or it won't rise) or MORE than 85! (overheating the rise causes inferior bread.)

If you rise your bread more than DOUBLE and it FALLS, you just gave your bread a coarse and dry texture. Just like Safeway bread. Way to go ... better luck next time. Watch it like a hawk. You might youtube videos showing how big the rise should be.

At high temperatures, high altitudes, the bread will rise faster. You can't make bread in 90 degree heat! COOL the oven with a tray of ice water, check it by thermometer, and when it gets LOW, rise the bread in it!

Want to know if your bread is done rising?
Poke it.
If it's done, it will keep the impression. <3

You will now need to work the carbon dioxide out of your bread. I know, it looks so beautiful and fluffy. Now ball up your fist and PUNCH IT DOWN. Go from the outside to the center, bottom to top.

>> No.3856958

>>3856933
getting it wrong and having a bad experience can be offputting. Getting it right will give you an alluring talent that wins over the hearts of both genders ...

So I am providing all the info I can

>> No.3856968
File: 475 KB, 270x203, 1331927069492.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3856958
I totally appreciate it. I feel excited.

>> No.3856980

>>3856958

I'm sure everyone appreciates that. Just out of curiosity, where did you acquire this alluring talent?

>> No.3856987

After punching the dough down, turn it out without manhandling it TOO much onto a work surface. Knead it just a couple times to finish working out the gas bubbles. This will keep your bread nice and consistent instead of having big old gas holes in it (Saaaafewaaaay)

Use your sharp knife or pastry scraper to divide your bread as you need and let the dough just rest a couple minutes. This is called Bench Proofing.

It makes the dough easier to shape.

Let's form a bread. We'll assume you want to make a loaf-pan bread. Hurl the dough down onto the counter from arm's length to force out the last of the air and then press it out into a disc, fold the corners in, and make a rectangle like shape to fit into your breadpan. Fold the dough up and pinch it closed, making a seam. seal it with your fingers and tuck away the extra dough.

Put the bread seam-side-down, into the pan you shaped it for.
The shaped dough, when perfect, will touch both ends of the pan, and it'll be even across the top. I'll be honest; this is an art. A newbie's gonna mess it up. Do your best and be proud of your work.

From here, you cover it with oiled wrap again, and let it rise the second time. But let's say we don't feel confident about getting a pan shape. Maybe we should make a round bread instead.

>> No.3857015

The Shaping, Part Deux: Round is Easier?

You need a nonfloured surface so if your previous surface was floured and you plan to use the same one, please clean it and dry it well.

Put one loaf-sized piece of dough on your working surface. Shape and rotate it, with both hands.

OK, pull down against the side of the dough with the LEFT hand and push up with your RIGHT hand... the dough turns counterclockwise... as you turn the dough, push under the dough with the sides of your hands. As you do this the dough gets turned underneath and the top will get tighter and smoother and domeshaped. Try not to over stretch it. Cover it loosely with oiled wrap for 10 minutes and let it rest. If you fail to cover it, a crust will form - D'oh. Spray or brush your loaves lightly with vegetable oil, transfer CAREFULLY to a flat rising surface if you must, cover with oiled plastic wrap, and let it rise the second time. It will flatten a bit. There's not much you can do about that because you don't have a rising basket. Before it rises, you can cut a classic diamond pattern into the top, just do parallel lines in one direction, and parallel lines in another - but NOT square - direction. This grid cut will loosen and soften as the bread rises but may still look appealing.

>> No.3857026

You know getting this from text descriptions is REALLY hard.

There are plenty of youtubes that can show you the handwork you can use. There are other methods than the one I listed, watch enough and you will get the idea. WIth the loaf the shape is important, and with the dome the tension is important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45z18TtFijU

This one's not too bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45z18TtFijU&feature=related

>> No.3857030

>>3856833

>no metal

Maybe if you were living 100+ years ago.

>Metal in earlier times meant metal--not stainless steel. In most modern starter recipes, stainless steel or glass bowls are ok, just as a stainless steel mixers are. But, the no metal is a rule that has remained true through the ages and applies to all starters. After a few weeks, the acids from the starter will cause the metal to dissolve into it. This causes a chemical reaction that will contaminate and eventually kill it. The contamination can be seen as a black, blue or pink liquid that pools on the surface. Glass, ceramic, stainless steel and plastic do not affect the starter.

>> No.3857035

Stainless steel isn't all that stainless actually. Acids can etch it if they remain in it for too long. I don't use stainless for that very reason for sour dough starters that are always higher in various acids than my other starters.

>> No.3857040

>>3857035

If making a sourdough that's a different story. But for your everyday whitebread recipe stainless is fine. Even 5 days in the fridge with my pizza dough had no effect.

>> No.3857042

Now mostly you do scoring after the second rise, but if you want the looser, softer appearance you can score before.

The second rise is just like the first, in temperature needs and doneness testing. But this time you won't beat the bread down when it's done rising! (Unless you have a thing for punch-flattened bread ...)

Now the scoring, cutting of the diamonds, is actually to release some of the surface tension on a good bread, and if you don't do it the bread will often crack in an irregular pattern, sorta scarred across the top.

Go for about 1/2 inch deep if you decide to score. But some people like that top-of-bread scarring.

About 6 slashes each direction will be plenty.
On to the last step then.

>> No.3857041

>>3857035
>2012
>making stuff up
What's wrong with you? Stainless steel is non-reactive. It does not react with acids.

>> No.3857066

oh and make SURE you use a sharp knife when you score.

THE BAKING

We've come down to the wire; this is where your fate is not decided, but judged. You can STILL screw up this step by burning your loaf, but the risk is lower than other steps.

A single loaf should ride in the dead center of the oven. They need a baking sheet sprinkled lightly and evenly with flour. You can also sprinkle flour on top of the loaf - this is pure style but invokes a familiar and 'rustic' coloration that some people adore. '

YOU MUST control the HEAT and HUMIDITY in your oven BOTH.

Ovens are mostly made of light sheet metal which does a horrible job of retaining heat. EVERY TIME YOU OPEN THAT OVEN DOOR, you lose as much as TWENTY-FIVE degrees to the oven temp. This wounds your bread.

Remember that before you pop in to check it again.

A bread stone, baking tiles, these can all help even out the HEAT in your oven by putting raw elements in the bottom that emit heat CONSTANTLY - keeping the oven at a swelter even with the door open.

>> No.3857069

Humidity, is critical to crust control. If the oven dries out, the crust will set too early. Time for that SPRAY BOTTLE to the rescue!

Before your oven is up to temp, crack the door and SPRAY THE SIDES of your oven about 5 times with the spray bottle.
Wait 30 seconds. OK, NOW put your bread into your humidified oven!

Wait 2 minutes.
BARELY crack the oven door and shoot 5 more times. TRY NOT to spray the LOAF. Hit the sides and bottom of the oven! Also... don't spray the lightbulb or it just might go boom. Glass isn't meant to have heavy fluctuations in suface temperature ^^; It'll shatter just like your bread crust would.

2 more minutes.
5 more shots. That's 15 in all.

Now DON'T open the oven for any reason in the next 15 minutes or the humidity will get OUT!

If your oven has a PORT-HOLE into one of the burners (some do! I'm not making this shit up, check thoroughly!) COVER IT with a heat-resilient dish or something before you start or your humidity will get away!

... you can also just dump a cup of hot water into a pan in the oven, but it DOESN'T work as well as a spray bottle, spray bottles inject humidity STRAIGHT into the air.

Want a great crust? You should brush on some butter 10 minutes before the baking is done - but again, every time you open the oven you harm the loaf. It's your decision.

Your bread will be done when it sounds hollow with a thump, and has shrunk away from the sides of any pan it was in. Insta-read thermometers will tattle 195 degrees, that means perfect. It will feel quite firm.

One last thing.
Let the bread COOL before you STORE it.
Or it will breathe, and it will sog, and it will ruin.

And you will be in tears.

Cheers and good luck breadmaking. There's very little else I can say to help, but I'll answer questions if possible.

>> No.3857078

>>3856811
wat

tripfag massively overstates the difficulty of making bread?

I made bread with a plastic bag, my tummy heat, and an ultralight backpacking stove. Bread is fucking easy, you have to be some kind of retard to not be able to make decent bread.

>> No.3857103

>>3857078
Just like some people have different ideas of difficulty,

some people have different ideas of quality.

When someone asks me if it is difficult to make money, I say, yes... not because it is hard to flip burgers for minimum wage... but because achieving quality moneymaking is an involved process.

When someone asks me if it is difficult to bake bread, I say yes, for the same reason. Anyone can make something edible with flour, water, yeast and some effort. But a quality production, is going to taste a lot more effort ... and the honest attempt of a newbie would disgust, disdain and/or horrify more talented folks.

>> No.3857111
File: 1.87 MB, 1280x960, WWsourdough1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3857078

Agreed. Bread is only as complicated as you want to make it.

Sure, it can get difficult if you're aiming for mastery, but it doesn't have to be like that.

I bake a lot of bread, and while there are certain techniques I have learned over the years, at the end of the day, the process is still simple: mix, knead, proof, bake. I throw in steps like autolyse, retarding, preshaping, benching, and use equipment like banneton and a baker's lame, but that's just icing on the cake.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is take everything our friend RF360 just said with a big grain of salt. A lot of it is good information, but there are a lot of, in my opinion, unnecessary (and sometimes deleterious) steps for the first-time bread baker.

>> No.3857112

>>3857111
Yeah I figured you were a moron the first time you posted.
That's why I didn't respond then.

But the damage is done; they've done been learned.
Have fun trolling, I'm outta here

>> No.3857121

>>3857103

I really disagree with your bread elitism. I would gladly partake in a neophyte's first loaf as much as I would in any of my own. I really love sharing my passion for bread baking with others. The last thing I would ever do is act in a way that would discourage someone from future attempts.

>> No.3857126

>>3857112

Actually, just for the record, you did respond the first time I posted.

Regardless, I'm not trying to discount your experience. I'm only saying that I don't agree with your method, and I think it comes across as terrifying to the first time baker. It's not a big deal, we can respectfully have a difference of opinion.

And I try not to troll in these bread threads. I have a number of years of experience baking bread, sometimes professionally, sometimes not, and I like to share that with others. Sorry if my responses offended you.

>> No.3857130

>>3857121
I really disagree with your discarding of useful information.
Cooking is about making simple and basic foods beautiful. If we wanted to chew dry flour and follow it up with swigs of water, that's always an option, but every person who ever puts a ball of dough in their oven has a dream that it will come out perfect, like a song for the mouth they haven't heard yet.

That's why I added all the extra information I did. I DID post the basic recipe first. People who don't REALLY want to try that hard... really don't have to.

The difference between elitism and open-ended intellectualism is, elitism wastes its time saying "I'm better than you." Intellectualism spends all its time saying "How can I make myself and everyone else better?"

Elitists worry about the straightness of their scoring.
Intellectuals figure out to use spray bottles. <3

>> No.3857132

>>3857130
>be a twat
>call others a twat

Thank you, you've pretty roundly established yourself as someone I ignore.

>> No.3857136

>>3857132
This board doesn't waste any time showing why I left before does it...

I come back, contribute 2-3 really long and helpful threads and then asshats like you make me leave again.

We're gonna have that kind of relationship aren't we /ck/

It just plain sucks. Clean your shit up. One of these days I won't come back

>> No.3857140

>>3857136
Who the fuck cares? No one wants a douchebag who is going to start his posts by saying "Bread is fucking hard" then ends up saying "Cooking is about making simple and basic foods beautiful".

Bread isn't hard and good bread can be made with an oven, a bowl, and a pair of arms. You, though, you want to give the impression that making bread is complicated and difficult.

You're full of shit and you waffle as soon as someone points it out. Leave.

>> No.3857148

>>3857140
you can talk down to me AFTER you spend 2 hours providing information to help someone ELSE's cooking project succeed.

Until then, you're just a piece of garbage who should be removed for making this place worse for other users.

>> No.3857151
File: 543 KB, 1280x960, whitewithflax.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3857136

I, for one, am not trying to force another bread lover out of /ck/. I'm just expressing my moderately educated opinion. It might help lend credence to your advice if you were to post a few examples of your bread baking (like I've been doing with a handful of my posts).

Am I master baker? No, definitely not. I do, however, bake bread well enough to have been hired to consult for a small handful of medium- and large-format bakeries, and have standing orders from about 15 different people any time I bake large batches. I also have a degree in food chemistry, with a lot of time spent in a cereal chemistry lab (read: bread lab). We could, for example, have a really intellectual conversation about why it's not smart to use greased hands to knead bread in which you're trying to develop gluten.

Stick around, or don't. It's no big deal to me. Just don't get butthurt when people try to share their personal experiences to temper your own.

>> No.3857154

>>3857148
You're taking the internet too seriously brah.

I'd like to point out even a mediocre homemade bread is much tastier than store bread.

>> No.3857159
File: 1.58 MB, 1280x960, seed&amp;nutsourdough4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3857154

Amen.

>> No.3857163

>>3857154
You're not taking the internet too not seriously enough.

But yeah, most homemade bread is nicer than storebought. I just think first attempts should be special.

>> No.3857164

>>3857154
>implying he isn't going to get trolled every time he posts now that he's shown how much he wants 4chan to be his blog

should be entertaining.

>> No.3857943

Cool thread. I've never seen either of you post, fucking tripfags. Thanks for the info.

>> No.3857960

>>3857136
> One of these days I won't come back

And nothing of value was lost.

This thread is a case study in good tripfags vs shit tripfags.

>> No.3858017

>>3857136

just stop responding. if you are identifiable, you will always be called out on something. you are very into your own rhetoric and it is unnecessary. the help is still appreciated.

>> No.3858041

>>3858017
It's 4chan, you will always be called out period.

>> No.3858050

>>3857136
If you keep making posts like that one you'll be forever harassed.