[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 12 KB, 225x225, 4674.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3830454 No.3830454 [Reply] [Original]

Where I come from /ck/, chili is a thick, chunky, meaty and delicious dish. If it's made right it doesn't need anything but maybe a sprinkling of cheese. But where I live now (not too far away from Cincinnati actually, this horrendous trend's homebase), people put pasta into it, or serve it over pasta and I can't help but thinking that's some kind of sacrilege to the great thing that is a hot bowl of chili. It's just not chili to me anymore. Don't even get me started on "Cincinnati style" (read: over-sweetened, grainy, dog food mush) chili.

But enough of that. How does /ck/ like their chili prepared and served?

>> No.3830455

Baked in a pie.

You heard me.

>> No.3830456

>>3830455

With a sweet, cornbread crust on top, I could totally see that actually.

>> No.3830458
File: 7 KB, 250x250, Tim eric.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

real chili doesn't have beans faggot. Get a better fucking picture you ignorant twat.

>> No.3830460

>>3830458

Rage more, cuntwagon.

It's a thread about regional variations on chili. Where I come from, we add beans and we fucking like it. You can contribute, or piss off.

>> No.3830463

>>3830460

beans were added as filler for poorfags that cannot into chili.

Fucking pig disgusting dog shit.

fucking pleb faggot

>> No.3830489

>>3830454
This is what Spics actually believe.

>> No.3830496

beans man fucking beans

beans are added to dishes where they don't belong by the same cocksuckers that use rice to make up for the lack of actual ground beef goddamnit

>> No.3830503

>>3830496
>>3830496
>cocksuckers that use rice to make up for the lack of actual ground beef goddamnit
who does that?

>> No.3830504
File: 626 KB, 320x243, 1276130882648.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love beans so OP's pic looks great to me. I like mine mild to medium spicy, over rice, melted cheddar on top, with a buttered piece of sweet cornbread. Aww yeah.

>> No.3830508

>>3830503
food industry in general

>buy meat pie
>filling:
>25% meat
>15% veggies, seasoning and mystery items
>60% fucking rice

MOTHERFUCKER

>> No.3830510

When I first moved to cincinnati, I thought their chili was rehashed diarrhea.

I still think that.

I love my chili with chunky meat, veggies and beans with cheese and chips.

>> No.3830512

>>3830508
Well, balanced food consisted of Carbs, meat and fat, vegies, etc...

Albiet 60% of rice is a bit too much.

>> No.3830524

>>3830458
>>3830463
Original chili was made by poorfags for poorfags. You think they wouldn't have used beans when chili was born on the streets of San Antonio?

>> No.3830527

medium spice, with beans and a handful of sharp grated cheddar

>warm bowl of salty savory goodness on a chilly day

>> No.3830533

>>3830524

Original chili was made from meat, salt, spices, and chili's... beans were used as a meat substitute when no meat could be afforded.

>> No.3830539

kidney beans, thick, and spicy, with sour cream and cheese on top.
mmmm!
i'm from texas, and the "pasta" you described sounds... like it's pasta, not chili.

>> No.3830569

>>3830539
To be fair, chili makes everything better. Hotdogs, fries, etc.. so probably pasta too...

>> No.3830580 [DELETED] 

I actually add beans to my chili just to piss people like >>3830458 off. I actually have to choke them down, but the smug satisfaction I feel is worth it.

>> No.3830583

I actually add beans to my chili just to piss people like >>3830458 off. I have to choke them down, but the smug satisfaction I feel is worth it.

>> No.3830589

I make three different styles.
1) From powdered chilies.
I grind dry chilies into a dry powder, toss the powder (with cumin or not) with cubed beef, then sauté in with onion and garlic in lard until coloured but not cooked through. I add water or tomato juice, simmer the beef until tender, then season with bouillon cubes, finishing with a handful or two of cilantro and witch's oregano. If I have it, I add, also, hoja santa. The colour is very dark and the chili itself is only as thick as a non-roux stew.
2) From roasted chilies.
I fire-roast, deskin, destem and deseed (in that order) a variety of chilies. I purée them and set aside. Next, I sauté onion and garlic in lard and deglaze little-by-little with a whole can of beer (12oz/350ml) until the onion has melted into a gravy-like consistency. I add the chili purée, bring to the boil, lower to a simmer, then reduce its volume by half. I purée a second time and simmer down by another third and add a handful of cilantro. Finally, I sauté some beef (dusted with cumin or not) in a separate pan until coloured, but not cooked through, then add the chili sauce and cook until done, finishing with cilantro and witch's oregano. I never add hoja santa to this one.
This sort is more common in the far south of Mexico.
3) From reconstituted, dry chilies.
Similar to the one from powdered chilies, only the chilies are reconstituted in water rather than powdered. I always add tomato to this one. This one is more like the style with which most people in the US are familiar.

I may or may not add beans to any of the varieties I make.

I like all of them served with rice.

>> No.3830607

>>3830569
i'm not saying it sounds bad, but putting chili over pasta is just making a different type of pasta...
esp. without beans- then you basically have spaghetti or hamburger helper.

>> No.3830742

i eat chili out of a bowl with a spoon

>> No.3830746

>>3830454
If you think anything is sacred on this planet you are a dumb fuck.
Honestly cultural rigidity of any kind is for jingoistic douchebags.

>> No.3830764

>>3830607

riveting culinary taxonomy here

>> No.3830769

Thin, soupy chili is best chili.

>> No.3830777

Someone in this thread give me a decent recipe for chili. I just throw tomatos onions, mince meat and beans into a cooking pot, season it with salt/pepper hotsauce and it turns out okay, but its more or less dogfood compared to real chilli.

>> No.3830786
File: 352 KB, 947x1521, chili.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3830788

>pasta

wat

you serve it with rice

>> No.3830860

>>3830786
I love how Batman isn't affected by the heat at all.

>> No.3830865

Why do faggots put meat in their chili? Beans, water, and hot sauce is all you fucking need.

>> No.3830870

>>3830860
There is only one explanation to all of Batman's inherent badassary.

Bruce Wayne is actually Christian Bale. I have proof, but I can't show you now.

>> No.3830876

People who refuse to put beans in chili out of principle are idiots. Beans go well in chili, its don't be mad your retarded hick ancestors didn't figure that out. If "authentic is best" was true of anything there would be no reason for people to change recipes over time. Get with the times. I can understand not all recipes calling for beans but refusal to use an ingredient that clearly enhances many recipes is faggotry at its finest.

>> No.3830880

>>3830786
I don't really know anything about spice ratios, is that mixture going to be as hot as they are making it out to be or is it boasting for show? I like it when it hurts a little.

>> No.3830882

People who say that beans don't belong into chilli are fucking retarded.
The original recipe was nothing more than some goulash with chillis instead of bell peppers and that's just lame.

>> No.3830888

>>3830454
cincinnati guy here, our chili isn't made to be eaten by itself. It's for hot dogs and spaghetti and shit

>> No.3830892

>>3830880
If you use 3 tablespoons of your store's standard chili powder and not whatever those 3 special ones in the recipe are, it will not be very hot. The teaspoon of cayenne is not going to make a large difference unless you are very sensitive to spice.

>> No.3830893

In my part of Texas, there's 2 kinds of chili.
Thick, made with good ground beef & steak cubes. Beans or no beans, strong tomato base. Very spicy, requires almost no additions though cheese, sour cream & crackers are often served.
Or
Soupy, almost like a thin stew. Chunks of beef & sausage, along with beans & other veggies. Throw in some cheese & serve over rice with crackers.

>> No.3830894

>>3830876
Fuck you, bean lover. Beans are poop.

>> No.3830899

>>3830892
I have some gimmick ghost pepper sauce, its supposed to be mind numbingly hot but it doesn't bother me, it makes my skin hurt if I touch it but doesn't make my mouth uncomfortable. One night I was shaking the bottle to use it and the cap flew off, the sauce landed all over my dick and balls because I don't wear clothes at home..oh gosh that hurt, I spent the whole night in front of the tv sitting on he cough with my junk submerged in a glass of milk.

>> No.3830900

>>3830893
>Thick, made with good ground beef & steak cubes. Beans or no beans, strong tomato base. Very spicy, requires almost no additions though cheese, sour cream & crackers are often served.

You listed one kind of chili. Where is the other one?

>> No.3830901

chopped jalapenos, onions, chorizo, beef, 2 cans of rotel, can of tomato sauce, kidney beans, corn, spices and little bit of honey for the heat.

Don't bitch about corn in your chili till you fucking try it. Its god damn delicious.

>> No.3830903

>>3830901
>corn
Slowed down my reading here.
>honey
Stopped here.

>> No.3830908

>>3830900
The thin soupy alternative served over rice is accepted as a type of chili down here. Not my preference, but to each their own.
Nice trips btw.

>> No.3830914

>>3830908
So let me get this straight, that Texas chili where people are militantly against the use of delicious red beans needs to be served over bland rice as a thickener

>> No.3830921
File: 367 KB, 757x564, 1345060573868.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

MFW most people didnt even know real chili didnt have beans until they watched the big bang theory

>> No.3830928

>>3830914
Actually, most folks that say Texas chili doesn't have beans are trolls.
Straight up cowboy chili uses cheap cuts of beef, beans as fillers, and whatever else is available. It was designed as heart, filling sustenance for cowboys and ranchers that didn't have much.

>> No.3830932

>>3830928
Chili is basically the slave food/soul food of the times.

>> No.3830940

If you are using ground beef, any good ideas on how to judge how much water to add before you let it cook down. The problem is that you can't just cover the ingredients with an inch of water because when you add the water it goes from less soupy to more soupy and it's hard to know how soupy it should be before you let it cook down.

>> No.3830943

Where I come from /ck/, food if food and you do what you want to it.

>> No.3831006

>>3830888
> cincinnati guy here, our chili isn't made to be eaten by itself. It's for hot dogs and spaghetti and shit

Exactly. "Beef cooked in water with spices and assorted other shit" is a whole spectrum of things. On one end you have spaghetti sauce, the other end you have chili. Skyline is way down on the spaghetti sauce end of the spectrum. I love the stuff and miss it dearly since I moved from there, but they shouldn't call it "chilli". If you can throw down and eat it by itself with a spoon its not chilli. Maybe "chilli sauce". Coney sauce or spaghetti sauce would work too.

And fuck the turd who got all uppity about tainting his precious spaghetti noodles by putting a sauce on them. Go ahead and eat them plain if you like.

>> No.3831015

can of chili beans, can of tomato sauce, jalapeños, bell peppers, onions

over spaghetti

>> No.3831044

Who the hell cares? It's a versatile dish with a fuckload of variations. Just eat it how you like and stop crying when people call things you don't consider chili chili.

>> No.3831047

I like to do mine with beans then mix some crumbled cornbread into it.

>> No.3831056

>>3830888
I oftentimes use the ingredients for cincinnati chili, but don't make the meat near as fine and often add some beans and extra spices/chilis. That usually makes it better for eating on its own.

>> No.3831074

Beans and ground beef have no place in chili, only the poor and/or the foolish do this. I only use whole cuts of chuck, spices, peppers, and onion in mine. Real chili is no bullshit, if I wanted something cheap id make something else before shitting up a good food w cheap ingredients.

>> No.3831077

I'm putting some on for dinner in a few minutes. I've got a can of crushed tomatoes, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of black beans, a can of pinto beans. To that I'll be adding a diced sauteed onion, a small can of diced jalapenos, some chopped garlic. I also have 1 1/2 pounds of moderately priced steak (it says "chuck blade steak", but I bought it because it's nice & marbled and only cost $5). Then tons of chili powder and black pepper, and a few other spices.

So, yeah, I like it chunky and thick. And cooked for for at least 6 hours. Over rice. With cheese on top. And cornbread on the side.

Fuck, now I'm hungry for chili that won't be ready for 6 hours. FUCK YOU!

>> No.3831087

>>3830928
Bullshit. Beans were added by poor mexicans who couldnt meat. Its just filler for poor people w no tastes.

>> No.3831090

wait until Op finds out that they put chocolate in their chili.
shhh...don't ruin the surprise

>> No.3831093

My favorite chili is a no-bean, full meat chili with some onions, maybe some spicy peppers if I'm in the mood. I like mine with a little cheese, raw onion, and maybe a dollop of sour cream on top (but never mixed in!).

Also tasty with saltines.

>> No.3831267

not venturing into the bean-no bean shitstorm ITT, but for the ground beef-chuck cut debate, you're missing something: motherfucking venison. We used to make a big pot of venison chili every week in Georgia, it was fucking delicious. I'm betting bison would make a tasty chili as well.

>> No.3831268

>>3831267
Do you need to add some kind of fat to it? Isn't it pretty lean?

>> No.3831278

>>3831267

OP here. LOVE venison chili. My step-father is a big hunter, so we always had some various cuts of venison in the freezer. Small cubes or ground, venison is a great addition to chili.

>> No.3831287
File: 58 KB, 1806x121, beansforbreakfastonceagain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3830876
nigga ima screencap this shit

>> No.3831312

>sirlion steak, diced very small
>ground beef
>onions, tons of dried and fresh chillies (cooked with the meat so it absorbs the flavor)
>tons of different types of chili powder
>diced tomatoes, beans beans beans, just a bit of beef base, thickened, cooked all day
>top with a bit of cheese and some crushed tortilla chips
the best.

>> No.3831335

Cincinnati style chili is a meat sauce, not a stand alone dish. I rather like it on spaghetti with raw onion and a generous amount of shredded cheese.

When I make Texas chili, I make cornbread too, then fold half the batch of chili into the cornbread batter and swirl it, then bake it. Chili cornbread. My roommate goes insane for it.

>> No.3831346

>>3830914
Are you retarded? I said I was from Texas and Love red/kidney beans, and other anon said that Type A chili was ok with or without beans.
lrn2red

>>3830539
>>3830893

>> No.3831349

>>3830914
If you're not Texas shut the fuck up.

>> No.3831352

>>3831074
>implying chili is a gourmet dish.
It's sans beans when one wants to use it over Hot Dogs or Frito Pie lol!
With beans when it constitutes a meal.

Why don't you just shut the fuck up, you stupid snob? Chili is like gumbo- another dish I'm quite certain you know nothing about. It's Southern, and like all Southern dishes, it's regional and not held to any specific standard.
Please choke on your "choice cuts of beef".

>> No.3831487

With beans and some cheese served with a hot dog and some Fritos.