[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 134 KB, 1040x600, kfcspices.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3789423 No.3789423 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /ck/, I love liquid cheese. It's my favorite thing to put on a lot of foods, and I recently bought a block of velveeta cheese and a bag of super thin tortilla chips. Is there any well tested recipe to make queso with a block of velveeta? And I don't mean microwave cheese with milk, I mean something that will stay liquid even after it cools off. I heard that corn starch helps in that regard, but does anyone know?

>> No.3789428

>>3789423
you will probably have to add oil to it.

>> No.3789433
File: 92 KB, 480x480, orbitz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>queso

Rotel, velveeta, cumin, and chili powder. Last two are not necessary, but good.

>stay liquid
>corn starch

Honey...corn starch thickens.

The only way it will stay liquid is if you add water. I can't even guarantee that would work. You might wind up with cheese globules floating in water. Pic related.

>> No.3789437

>>3789433
For a second I thought you were saying use honey, then I realized you were using a term of endearment by calling me honey. Anyway, I'm just telling you that's what I've heard. I just always wonder how they get liquid cheese in those jars that you can buy at walmart or something.

>> No.3789452
File: 122 KB, 1600x686, rotel[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Seriously, this is all you need.

That being said, the above poster is definitely right about chili powder. Or you could just add some powdered cayenne if you want some spice. This will resolidify to an extent after refrigerated, but just re-microwave it when you're ready for another snack and it's just fine.

>> No.3789462

>>3789437

Sugar, I think I found what you're looking for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processed_cheese#Legal_definitions

It says in so many words that Velveeta is mixed with an emulsifier, heated, and poured into molds. I'm assuming you would not be able to cook the emulsifier out of it, but I can't say for sure.

If you know anything about emulsions, then you know they do not break down into their components evenly. I'm pretty sure if you could get it to break, you'd wind up with cheese globules in water, or pure cheese fat and emulsifier minus the water.

>> No.3789463

add a room temperature oil or fat. make a sauce, basically, but make it supar thick.

soften the block of "cheese", and work in some corn oil or canola with a fork until its the right consistency. water will do it too with the right conditions, (Rotel+Velveeta see above) but it'll separate PDQ if not. adding a room temperature liquid fat is the way to go.

alt: cream cheese or sour cream also works great for this.

>> No.3789476

which rotel? they make quite a few...

>> No.3789482

>>3789476
I like using the "mexican" flavor that has lime and cilantro in it. But that's just me. Either that one, or the Extra Hot.

>> No.3789487

Not a derail, but what about the same queso dip but white cheese instead?

like they serve with chips at some mex restaurants?

>> No.3789501

>>3789487

buy queso at the supermercado instead of velveeta which is dyed to be that color.

it will be in the fresh cheeses section with the mozzerella and feta.

>> No.3789503

>>3789501
when i go there i see like 5 varieties of mexican cheese. how will i know which one?

>> No.3789506

>>3789503

it looks just like a big lump of mozzerella in a clear wrap. It will say queso on it.