[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 231 KB, 1430x1500, UKFRYINGPAN11RVT01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20286077 No.20286077 [Reply] [Original]

What are your grocery shopping staples you? What will you never find your kitchen without? Do any of you eat vegetables? In what way do you eat them and which ones? What foods do you regularly make for yourself that you enjoy? Actually list every food you like to eat and make at home please. This includes snacks, desserts, actual meals— just anything you eat

>> No.20286103

Guys please I'm hungry

>> No.20286334

I'm trying to get ideas bc I always order out and frozen pizza

>> No.20286338

I'm fucking bald!

>> No.20286339

>cooking
>>>/pol/

>> No.20286342

>>20286338
Girl what does that have to do with food?

>> No.20286347

>>20286342
it's the diet of chicken nuggets and ipa's I tell ya

>> No.20286362

Shepherd salad
diced cucumbers
diced tomatoes
thinly sliced red onion
finely chopped garlic
finely chopped parsley or cilantro (can use dried if lazy)
salt
pepper
extra virgin olive oil
dab of red wine vinegar or juicw from wedge of lime/lemon
for bonus add chickpeas and/or peanuts/cashews pieces
mix well let sit to infuse at least 20-30 minutes

>> No.20287011

Our fridges, freezers and pantry will always have
• carrots
• celery
• onion
• garlic
• fresh, green, leafy vegetables of some sort (right now, it's leaf broccoli, mature spinach, chingensai, radish greens, beet greens and green cabbage)
• at least one root vegetable that's not potato, carrot or onion (right now, that's red radish, baby lobok, beetroot and turnips)
• various cheeses
• several dried fruits (raisins, mango, cantaloupe, dates, figs, cranberries and prunes right now; there may also be cherries)
• full fat milk
• semi skimmed lactose free milk for the missus
• eggs
• butter
• frozen peas
• frozen corn
• frozen artichokes
• meat we got on sale and froze (beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, hams, smoked whole turkey that just taste like ham and corned beef right now; just thawed out some strip steaks I'll cook for dinner tonight with sauteed snow peas, butter braised carrots and chingensai-and-garlic mashed potato)
• frozen seafood (shrimp, pollock and whiting right now)
• spam
• tinned chicken
• tinned tuna in oil
• tinned mackerel in olive oil
• bottled apple juice
• smoked fish flakes
• dried meat (pork jerky and chicken floss right now)
• home dried herbs
• home dried soup vegetables
• various cooking fats (soy, olive, lard, bacon render, lamb's tallow, beef tallow and sesame)
• various vinegars (balsamic, apple cider, coconut, cane and malt)
• red wine
• tinned tomatoes
• tinned peas
• cartons of coconut cream
• various spices
• stock cubes and mushroom seasoning
• various flours (plain, bread, semolina, instant masa, chickpea, potato and cornmeal, if that counts)
• noodles of various sorts as well as pasta, rice and oats
• various beans
• homemade pickles
• frozen bell peppers and chillies
• various fresh fruits, but almost always bananas (none right now, but we do have mandarins)
Everything else varies. Sometimes we have junk food. Sometimes we don't.

>> No.20287035

>>20287011
Concise, if a bit overboard. Thank you.

>(right now, it's leaf broccoli, mature spinach, chingensai, radish greens, beet greens and green cabbage)
>right now
Is this a seasonal thing? What do you keep other times of the year? Are you growing this stuff yourself?

>> No.20287115

>>20286077
Vegetables
>onions
>carrots
>potatoes
>rice
>dried chillis

Proteins
>egg
>usually cheap-ass pork loin cut, whatever you can get for less than 2 bucks a lb

Fats
>butter
>oil

Spices
>Tumeric, Cumin, Coriander, Chilli Powder
>kosher salt, peppercorns
>some fucking parsley or whatever

That's what I make 90% of my food from and I cook every day. Buy it in bulk and most of it keeps.

>> No.20287195

>>20287011
How do you personally like to prepare your artichokes

>> No.20287217

>>20287115
Do you ever get tired of eating the same thing most of the time / how do you vary it enough for it not to get boring?

>> No.20287327

>>20287217
There are many dishes you can make from all that. And that’s just the absolute staples. Sometimes you want Mac and Cheese so there’s suddenly a fucktonne of cheese in the fridge.

Also I forgot that I get canned tomatoes, plain yoghurt, brown sugar and all purpose flour too for rouxs and whatever.
And yeah, as long as what I’m eating tastes good and has a good texture, I don’t really get bored. You only get bored of boring food. I’m not eating like a spartan over here, I like my food to pack a punch.

>> No.20287355

>>20287035
>growing
No, just buying. I and the missus but whatever looks good at the store when either of us go so it does tend to be seasonal because things will look better at different times of the year, like summer's end for pea leaves or right now for mature spinach (mid March to about the end of May).
We only have radish and beet greens because they came with the radishes and beetroots I bought and the cabbage is 12¢/lb until the 17th, with a limit of 4lbs per week.
>>20287195
When they're in season, I remove the tip and choke from fresh artichokes then stuff with garlic, parmigiano and parsley before stew-frying (idk the word in English; it's like a low liquid braise and it then fries as the water evaporates out) in lidded cast iron. Alternatively, I quarter or cut them into sixths or eighths (depending on size) after removing the choke then batter and deep fry along with other vegetables and also seafood.
For frozen, saute with oil-cured olives and garlic in olive oil, adding a little water every now and again until cooked through then finish with sweet parsley. Toss with cooked long pasta like spaghetti and serve topped with grated parmigiano or grana.