[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 9 KB, 260x260, shopping.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19880265 No.19880265 [Reply] [Original]

So I like to meal prep (don't have time for cooking meals individually), and I usually cook a fortnights worth of chicken (about five kilograms) in the oven.

Problem is I have no idea how long to cook it. All the meal prep videos and recipe blogs tell you to cook it in a skillet or lay it out on a baking tray and no where does it tell how long to cook chicken breast per kilo.

Any chefs that mass cook that know how to do chicken right?

>> No.19880267

>>19880265
Dude, just bake a sheet pan of simply seasoned rubbed
chicken breasts on the bone. Skin on is best. It is easy to rip a cooked breast off of the bone to dice, plus it will be more moist and have more nutrition and flavor.

I also think meal prep is stupid. You'd be happier buying a rotisserie chicken, which is a loss leader priced item at most groceries.

>> No.19880270

>>19880267
Okay, but how long to cook per kilo?

>> No.19880272

Put oven on 225° celsius. Put chicken on an oven tray and put it in for 30-55 minutes til the inner temperature is 72°celsius. You can brush some oil on the chicken too.

>> No.19880280

>>19880270
>Okay, but how long to cook per kilo?
Get an instant read thermometer. The actual cut, and the temperature of those items when they went into the oven will vary. Chicken isn't a rump roast, but even a big primal cut only has estimates on time/kilo. You have to own a thermometer to know when poultry is done vs overdone. My mom always told me to pierce down to the bone and look for juices to run clear (not red or bloody), but temp is best.

>> No.19880283

>>19880280
Its done when the inner temperature is 72c

>> No.19880290

>>19880265
chicken chili

>> No.19880409

Here's what I do for chicken tenders
>remove tendon with scissors
>whack just a little with a tenderiser
>add whatever marinate/seasoning you want (works just the same when breaded/crumbed in deeper oil)
>medium-hot pan
>3 minutes each side
Pretty much perfect every time. For breast, just half/butterfly and mallet it to get to roughly the same thickness as the tenders are and do the same thing. May take some trial and error to get used your own stove/pan but you'll figure it out fast.
Thighs imo benefit from slightly lower and slower. On my stove that's one click below the medium-hot I use for white meat. Boneless skinless thighs I do for like 6 mins a side.

Things get more complicated if you wanna do full breasts and bone-in stuff, that's when you'll probably need to incorporate the oven and lidded pots and shit.

>> No.19880662

>>19880265
>Any chefs that mass cook that know how to do chicken right?
Any chef doing mass cooking is in the military or a central kitchen or things like that. They have huge appliances for that job, you simply can't do that at home.
Also do yourself a favor and don't buy that crap.

>> No.19880751

what dish are you making? plain chicken breast? are you just throwing 5kg of cooked chook in the fridge and eating it 2 weeks later? are you freezing the breasts and microwaving them? are you dicing them into salads or throwing them into a smoothie after the gym?

tell us what you are actually doing

>> No.19880760

>>19880751
He's a meal prepper. He's eating slop.

>> No.19880778

>>19880760
I'm a meal prepper, but if I was doing chicken in quantity It'd be in some kind of dish that froze well; or roasting a few birds I picked up cheap because they're near the use by date so I can use that meat in other dishes over the next little while. 5kg of chicken breast in an oven seems crazy and I need to know details

>> No.19880946

Easiest method I can tell you is to put the chicken in a pot with water and simply boil it with salt, etc, for a couple hours. This will make the juiciest, pull apart chicken imaginable. I do this and make wraps en masse to load up my freezer.

>> No.19880969

>>19880265
Insert a temperature probe into the middle of your fucking 11 pound mass of dry chicken breast chunks and remove when it reaches 160

>> No.19881022
File: 1.83 MB, 720x1080, MASSIVE COCK.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19880662
>Any chef doing mass cooking is in the military or a central kitchen or things like that.
This isn't necessarily true in this case, anon. I have run several kitchens for 50-200, and they ran perfectly fine with just the standard, basic bitch, burner top Vulcans. Opie can get the results he wants in a regular oven with 2 racks, he just needs to do the par-cook for roughly half the time, then swap the top pan to the bottom and vice-versa.
Opie's also only talking about cooking off 12 lbs. of chicken. presumably cubed and seasoned,(He would do well to just cook off breasts or de-boned thighs, then cube them when cooled.Otherwise they will likely be DRY.)
The only fail-safe I could recommend is to pre-heat to 425°F(218°C) then go 15 mins before the swap. Anons who replied about needing a thermometer are right, but this should be unnecessary after the routine is down.
I hope Opie is cooking on parchment or foil for easy clean up. Then processing the chix when cooled into portions in freezer bags(quart bags,) and freezing them.
12 pounds of chicken should fit just fine in a single layer on 2 sheet pans in a standard,(not apartment,) oven.

>> No.19881040

>>19880265

I do boneless chicken breasts. Butterfly each one and cook for 4 minutes a side in a pan. Marinate it or season it first of course. Although to be honest I greatly prefer chicken thighs

>> No.19881045

>>19880272
simple as

>> No.19881046

>>19880267
>meal prep is stupid
You're stupid
>made ramen soup with meat and veg
>packed rice and ramen and udon noodles (fresh) into storage containers
>spread the meat & veg evenly among the containers
>poured broth into the noodle ones
>add egg yolks and whatever seasoning I want before I eat one
>can have ramen, udon or pork rice whenever for two weeks
>total labour time: 3 hours
>total cost: £50

>> No.19881053
File: 66 KB, 360x640, CANCER in yer TENDIES.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19880760
I doesn't HAVE to be.
Besides being potentially WAY healthier than eating at 80% of restaurants, OP said nothing about the final dish. Par cooked, seasoned chicken chunks could go in salads or any number of pasta/rice dishes to reheat.
IDK if you are confusing sloppa with something else, or are just trolling.

>> No.19881057

>>19881046
I don't want to eat ching chong shit for weeks

>> No.19881063

>>19881057
Make something else then

>> No.19881069
File: 177 KB, 666x788, forbidden tendies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19881040
This is a solid method, and with a nice LARGE skillet, you could burn through cooking 5kg. of chix breddy easy, and with moar flavor as well.
I'm not sure why anons are thinking 12 pounds of boneless chicken is some herculean task. Sure it will take about an hour, but isn't that what food prep is all about??
>Although to be honest I greatly prefer chicken thighs
WAY more flavor, even starkly naked.(unspiced, only salted)

>> No.19881118
File: 642 KB, 1022x731, tiresome.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19881053
>baked chicken breast is healthier than eating out at a restaurant
That has no relevance to anything OP wrote, and is irrelevant to the quality of 99% of meal preppers' food. OP doesn't even understand that the number of chicken breasts you put on a tray is largely irrelevant to cooking time, and you're imagining him par-cooking them? That's hilarious. He probably doesn't even understand that the microwave is actually cooking the food and not just "reheating" it. He's probably 19 and just moved out and thinks saying he meal preps makes him sound smart and responsible. Notice how he just HAD to include the bit about how he "doesn't have time" to cook. That's such bullshit. He's spending his time on 4chan. It's the same thing with /fit/ fags always making a point of mentioning that they're from /fit/ because they thinks that gives them some kind of credibility as a serious person or whatever. And then they usually go on to say that they 'NEED" 200 protons every day when you know they're a fat slob and not some olympic tier bodybuilder. OP is eating slop, just like every anon who has ever referred to themselves as a "meal prepper" on /ck/ since the beginning of time.

>> No.19881223
File: 129 KB, 220x193, Pinky and the Brain.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19881118
That's a LOT of "probably"s
Since you CLEARLY just want some attention, I'll give it to you. I'd ask WHY you are so flamingly sour in your post, but as a fellow Misanthrope, I think I understand.
Attacking my position that meal prep doesn't HAVE to be slop, doesn't elevate either of us, and is inherently WRONG.
>Notice how he just HAD to include the bit about how he "doesn't have time" to cook. That's such bullshit. He's spending his time on 4chan.
I've known guys who worked, and phoneposted on the chans, then would check on them every half hour or so.
I'm not carrying water for Opie, but he asked for legitimate advise, and I chose to provide it with my decades of experience.
I don't see why you can say that the SLOP designation ever connotes healthy, when usually it is exaclty the opposite, I.E. assembled, pre cooked, SYSCO or GFS garbage, slathered in one of 6 different possible plastic jug "Topping sauces", and then all glued together with service pack pre-shredded cheese product.
What's REALLY eating you anon...I'll engage it, ya shitty bastard...
I did get a chuckle from your sardonic " they usually go on to say that they 'NEED" 200 protons every day..."
Reminded me of Chromosomes.

>> No.19881241

>>19880265
You don't, you prep it, then freeze it, and prepare a bag whenever you want to eat. Then take another bag or two out to thaw for the next time.

>> No.19882380

>>19881241
OP has no idea what “prep it” means.

>> No.19882983

>>19880270
So when you have a dice, weight doesn't matter. Weight only matters when you have 1 solid chunk of meat. Cook time decreases as you shrink the piece size. As long as you have a proper oven, the heat sink the mass provides should be caught up by the heat source of the oven.

>>19880272
225 for 1 hour is what I use for a solid breast in my smoker, when it is diced you will need less time depending on dice size. That is why probes are great - use the biggest cube and cook to safe temps.

>>19881022
This is probably better - cube after rather than before, but I get the before - you get more browning and crust.

>> No.19883073
File: 53 KB, 991x1024, 1673383755264149.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19881223
>that's a LOT of "probably"s
It's literally 2.
>you are so flamingly sour
>i think I understand
I would never describe myself as "flamingly sour"; I don't think we're on the same page at all.
>attacking my position that meal prep doesn't HAVE to be slop
I never made that claim. I clearly said "99%", right there in the very first sentence.
>I've known guys who worked, and phoneposted on the chans
I don't know anyone irl who talks about posting on 4chan. The only thing I can imagine that's more pathetic than that is knowing people who talk about phoneposting on 4chan.
>legitimate advise
>my decades of experience
Yikes.
>i don't see why you can say that the SLOP designation ever connotes healthy, when usually it is exaclty the opposite
You...don't understand what "slop" means. I didn't just randomly bring up /fit/ posters. They're the biggest slop consumers next to meal preppers. There is ZERO correlation between something being slop and it being unhealthy. Most of the time it's the people who only view food as fuel who eat slop. They calculate their macros and throw a bunch of shit in a bowl and that's LITERALLY what people mean when they call something "slop"...
>sysco
Oh, you're actually retarded.

>> No.19883079

>>19880265
>meal prep
>(don't have time for cooking meals individually)
lol poorfag

>> No.19884003

>>19880265
>I usually cook a fortnights worth of chicken (about five kilograms) in the oven
If you do this regularly why the fuck are you asking how?