[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 442 KB, 1280x672, 45343543543.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17303507 No.17303507 [Reply] [Original]

I am looking to start a pizzeria and I am looking for some advice/tips so I don't go bankrupt thanks

>> No.17303528

Try to get some real life FNAF animatronics and all the zoomers will come running

>> No.17303620
File: 1.35 MB, 2954x2238, 982413E1-6B55-47B4-BF5B-AC14C91A9E7E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well op I used to work in a bakery owned by merchants. It made them lots of money and is a business model I plan to replicate and optimise some day. It might be far from what you’re looking for in a pizzeria so ignore it if so. We made essentially any and all forms of flatbread, as well as sauces like hummus. The technique for not going bankrupt is as follows - have a shopfront where you sell your base products at a high markup meaning sandwiches and the like and small containers of sauce. Of course sell drinks and the like to regular customers. Now this is barely profitable, so what you do is open up a night shift to make and sell your base products wholesale to nearby (and even faraway) restaurants. Target those that won’t bother to make their own bread products but still need them. You’d be surprised at how little even 5-star hotels make from scratch, and they usually buy a ton from us to freeze for the breakfast buffet anyway. Knowing who buys in bulk and freezes means you can cheekily insert some of the retail stuff that didn’t manage to sell (horrible I know, I didn’t like it). To save on delivery costs you can get employees to make small deliveries to the closer restaurants during downtime. Getting a guy who gives a shit is worth it. I used to get calls from chefs before dinner rush who ran out and I’d crank out a batch of hundreds in <90 minutes (this is the advantage of flatbreads) and deliver it by hand, while getting my subordinates to manage front of house. I did front, back, dishwashing, deliveries, and filing invoices. Calculations and some minor brain activity is involved so be careful about who you hire. If you want to really squeeze your employees get closing shift to be pseudo night shift and prepare a couple batches for wholesale. The vegan movement has truly made life easier since you can sell them cheap food at a high price and they’ll eat it all up. Save money on refrigeration by selling vegan products.

>> No.17303632

people these days have forgotten that pizza should have toppings in it, so be generous with them
sauce is important and cheap to make well
some example pizzas
>ground meat
>jalapeno
>pineapple
>bacon
>ham
>egg
>cheese
>salami
>mayo
another
>chicken
>anchovies
>banana
>curry powder
>mayo

>> No.17303656

In fact market yourself around the fact that you are entirely vegan. This helps with wholesale too since the big hotels will be more willing to buy from you due to having to deal with picky vegan customers. Is there anything you can make quickly or even just repackage and sell it off for triple the price? We had a supplier make us dry falafel mix we claimed to make in house. It’s a “just add water” ordeal you can mix and fry and it’s still good. How do you make more money off of that? Give out falafel balls sometimes. Since it’s genuinely good people will want to buy the mix. Of course you don’t sell them the dry stuff, sell them the wet mixture for triple the price by weight of the dry stuff. They end up paying top dollar for water. Be very smart with sourcing ingredients, but you already know this. In short, don’t make your shop front your only source of money. Can you make pizza bases during downtime and sell them off to restaurant who can’t do so themselves? Do you make a mean house hot sauce that you can bottle and sell to customers? Do you make a niche product that hipster restaurants with yuppie retard chefs can’t figure out by themselves and depend on you for? You can capitalise on this and you too can be a successful merchant. Picrel is a pizza I made in a toaster oven. I still need time to refine my own recipes before I start my own company. Good luck.

>> No.17303657

>>17303507
step 1 go anyplace else to ask advice.
step 2 get business degree.
step 3 fail anyways because 2/3 of all restaurants fail.

>> No.17303678
File: 71 KB, 900x426, tfw he doesnt like cheese pizza.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17303507

>find notadrugdealer that needs to launder large amounts of money
>sell pizza
>hire borderline jailbait high school girls on part time to bang them against the wall in the walk-in
>never go bankrupt because someone depends on you for clean cash and free pizza

>> No.17303705
File: 56 KB, 576x573, 1619050153021.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17303656
>Is there anything you can make quickly or even just repackage and sell it off for triple the price? We had a supplier make us dry falafel mix we claimed to make in house. It’s a “just add water” ordeal you can mix and fry and it’s still good. How do you make more money off of that? Give out falafel balls sometimes. Since it’s genuinely good people will want to buy the mix. Of course you don’t sell them the dry stuff, sell them the wet mixture for triple the price by weight of the dry stuff. They end up paying top dollar for water.

this is why i dont go to middle eastern restaurants.

>> No.17303718

>>17303705
I don’t condone it, but you have to admit they understand business. I dislike my boss, but he opened my eyes. One day I will have my own establishment, which I will run efficiently just without any dirty tricks

>> No.17303737
File: 77 KB, 800x411, Learn_This_Power.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17303718
>which I will run efficiently just without any dirty tricks

>> No.17303746

>>17303737
Alright I must confess. I’ve was in the industry for a time and I’m multiple places. What is a dirty trick to the average consumer barely bothers the average cook. Restaurants in general will not be highly profitable unless you are willing to make a difficult ethical choice. Bourdain was a faggot but the gist of kitchen confidential was correct.

>> No.17304031
File: 38 KB, 640x640, 667CD259-4BE2-4F4A-8BBC-98A60DA833E5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17303507
I’ll give you my pizza recipe so you don’t go bankrupt. The toppings have to go in the exact order I list them and it can’t be on a thin crust. There has to be some thickness to the dough, but not too much, for balance.
>tomato sauce
>basil pesto
>bbq sauce (I recommend a vinegar based sauce but a sweeter sauce will work fine just don’t let it get over powering)
>oregano/rosemary
>minced garlic
>basil
>arugula
>cilantro
>mozzarella
>pepperoni
>salami
>Canadian bacon
>chicken (optional. Adds good texture and gives the pizza a meatier mouth feel without adding grease)
>a bit more mozzarella on top
>Parmesan cheese
>brush crust with garlic butter before baking (optional)
>eat with a bit of tapatio or a mild/flavorful hot sauce (optional but highly recommended)
Adjust quantities to your taste

>> No.17304121

>>17303620
Not a single thank you for this anon...You know what they say, "Do not cast your pearls before swine." Well, as someone in process of starting small fast food biz, I hear you, thank you, and will try to implement some of your wisdom anon.

>> No.17304125

>>17303507
start by not being frogshit

>> No.17304206

>>17304121
You’re welcome, anon. It doesn’t matter really I just enjoy sharing my stories. I’ve witnessed how many restaurant owners insist on dedicating all of their energy and money into sourcing expensive and authentic ingredients and ridiculous cooking processes thinking it’ll be appreciated, and I hate seeing it. The average guy isn’t going to incinerate his wallet for expensive food except as a rare treat. I’ve seen omakases go belly up while the Jewish delis and shaverma or chicken and rice guys make bank. The cheap food vendors are simply masters of sourcing cheap ingredients and making tasty, quick meals. I worked with them and they taught me a great deal.

>> No.17305446

>>17304206
brilliant advice man thanks a bunch and thanks to everyone else also who contributed to this thread <3

>> No.17305516

Buy a ooni see if you can sell 10 pizza a night

>> No.17305749

>>17303620
oy vey keep our secrets from these gentiles

>> No.17305772

>>17303507
open near a bar if possible
hire teenage girls for front of house
profit
worked at a pizza place that did this for around 6 months made better money than i ever did working in any factory

>> No.17305776

>>17305446
You're gay and stupid, shut up.

>> No.17305798

>>17303507
you're paying for the building and the kitchen. thats a sunk cost, make sure you use it to its maximum potential. that pizza oven can be baking batches of bread all night long with just one mexican guy in the kitchen, you can sell to nearby places, customers, etc. make sure your recipe is on point before you open, if word gets round your pizza is trash you're losing money when you need it most.

when it comes to employees, managers tend to adopt one of two philosophies. one is the pimp game, cop and blow. treat them like shit, act like you're the best they've got, fuck with their head, sqeeze as much sweat out of them before they wise up and quit. this strategy has become less effective in the current job market, with fewer people wanting to work in the industry.

the other philosophy is treat them nice, and then you dont lose the good ones who do everyone's job for them, pick up slack and keep your buisness afloat, if you can keep a few good workers on reliably then your buisness is much more secure.

>> No.17306050

>>17305749
No