Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 36 KB, 400x400, qvgmmguhfgudnzcxhymg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
16755851 No.16755851 [Reply] [Original]

Sourdough's flavor comes from lactobacillus fermentation, much like pickles, right?

How feasible would it be to just add some pickle juice to bread in lieu of a sourdough starter, and let it ferment 2-3 days instead of weeks?

>> No.16755890
File: 21 KB, 480x360, hqdefault[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

I think you'd get the lactobacilli, but sourdough also has yeast, just different kinds than the strain we usually use for baking. I don't think there's yeasts involved in pickling, but I might be wrong.

but if you tried this, and just let it sit out a while and made a biga with some pickle juice, you'd probably get some wild yeasts

>> No.16755906

>>16755890
well yeah I'd add yeast too. So flour, water, yeast, pickle juice and let it ferment a couple days.
it just sounds so much more convenient than babysitting a sponge

>> No.16756520

>>16755906
Add a lot more yeast than you normally would

>> No.16756687

>>16755906
From what I understood (but did not put into practice), the whole process of making a sourdough starter from scratch consists of selecting/balancing microorganisms according to their (exponential) growth rate via refreshing. "let it ferment a couple of days" will give you a foul sludge.

>> No.16756688

The fermentation in sourdough produces different chemical compounds depending on the age of the ferment, the type of flour that the culture had and the temperatures. So by adding a different starter your dough gets chewed up by different bacteria and yeasts and produces different flavor compounds. Not just lactic acid and CO2. When you have lactic fermentation of pickles you also have a different composition of bacteria and a different flavor profile.
Anyway, what you suggest sounds interesting. Just try it out, what do you have to lose? Make sure to use real fermented pickles though.

>> No.16756719

>>16755851
There's lactobacillus in pussy juice too. I'd rather try baking with that.

>> No.16756741

>>16755851
Wouldn't recommend. Pickle juice has an established lacto culture and a low pH which will make it hard for any yeast to establish itself. Just adding yeast won't work because bacteria reproduce at twice the speed of yeast so it almost definitely will not catch up.

If this is what you want to do instead of using a sourdough culture then I'd add the yeast to the bread mix, let it ferment and only add a small amount of pickle juice at the very last minute.

>> No.16756773

>>16755851
I'm absolutely no expert on this but you might wanna let the dough rise in the fridge in case of possible bacteria. Dunno seems safer.

>> No.16756788

>>16756773
The reason people prove in the fridge is because it slows the bacterial growth down more significantly than it slows the yeast down so you can prove it for a long time without it getting too sour and negatively impacting the rise. It's not because of "possible bacteria" outside the fridge. Unless you're proving your bread inside your toilet bowl.

>> No.16758448

>>16756687
Your understanding sucks. Literally mixing flour and water and letting it sit is the entire recipe for sourdough

>> No.16758699

>>16758448
No experience with sourdough huh? Literally mixing flour and water and letting it sit will surely bring bacterial and yeast activity to, but it won't be a very strong or desirable dough for baking. It will take very long time to develop, probably not taste good, and not rise well.

When you are making sourdough starter and mix water and flour the first time, there will be many kinds of bacteria and yeast that comes to life, and you want to select for the best ones suitable for what you are going to use the dough for, and how. Main difference is in wheat or rhye starter.

tl;dr sourdough can be any dough that is sour, while a soudough starter is specifically made to have certain qualities and for certain uses.

>> No.16758708

>>16755851
>lactobacillus fermentation, much like pickles, right?
Umm, theres a difference between pickling and fermenting… most pickles you find in the store are not fermented. You would basically be just adding vinegar to dough.

>> No.16758890

>>16755851
you would need actually fermented pickles, rather than vinegared, but you probably realize this (i hope)

otherwise the principle seems fine, give it a try, bread ingredients are cheap. add yeast unless you want a very flat bread

>> No.16759537

>>16758699
Here's a (you) for this excellent bait.
>>16755851
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure pickle brine is dead. You could add it to your bread in place of some water/salt but I don't think letting it ferment would do anything, I believe they use distilled vinegar so no living bacteria inside.
I have a batch of sauerkraut going right now. When it's done I'll scoop some of the brine out and add it to a bread and post here on how it is. Look for me in a few weeks!

>> No.16759558

>>16755851
Most store bought pickles are pickled with vinegar and salt, not fermentation. But you can do that on your own. Jar, 2% salt water, throw in your vegetables of choice, wait a week. Congratulations, you have actual pickles.

>> No.16759561

>>16755851
i tried making a sourdough starter and accidentally made alcohol. the sourdough starter never did what it was supposed to do, either. it's been in my fridge for months and has developed a layer of black liquid that smells like vodka.

>> No.16759564

>>16759561
That's known as hooch. If it's been in your fridge, it's possible that your starter's still alive. Pour off the sludge and add some fresh water and flour and I bet you'll have some fermentation going in a couple days.

>> No.16759568

>>16759564
you sure it's safe? i'm willing to give it another go, but it seems sketchy.

>> No.16759631

>>16759568
100%, that alcohol won't let anything grow. Worst case scenario you try it and it doesnt work and you're out a half cup of flour and a splash of water, go mix it up.

>> No.16759691

>>16759631
alright, had to scrape the top layer since it was stained black and it had the consistency of a thick peanut butter but it smells just like how it did before i stopped feeding it.

>> No.16759750

>>16759691
Sounds good anon! Add the flour and water and let er rip

>> No.16759762

>>16759750
yea i did all that too. last time i tried making a loaf it was a horrible disaster but lets see what happens this time around.

>> No.16759771

>>16756741
So how about diluting some sugar water with a spoonful of pickle juice?

>> No.16760043

>>16759771
Inferior solution to just adding more yeast. You can get like a pound of yeast for $5, anon above is talking about wild yeast I think or adding a normal bread amount of yeast.

>> No.16761658

Bump, I want to see some pickle bread.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action