[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 110 KB, 1200x817, 1565409685859.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16275606 No.16275606[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

People said the school food tasted bad, b-but I liked it. Why would they say such things!!??!

>> No.16275609

Gaslighting gangstalkers.

>> No.16275611

It's a Jewish conspiracy.

>> No.16275618

Not all school food tastes bad. It depends on what state you live in and whether the school cooks for itself or contracts a catering company.

>> No.16275668

>>16275618
Basically
There was a time when school lunches in the USA were remembered very positively, and where being a cafeteria cook at a school was considered in pretty decent light. It isn't mission impossible to make filling, tasty, and decently healthy foods, and other places still do.

The reason they tend to suck is a double combination of state/federal guidelines regulating the nutritional content on the food they subsidize for the school, and cafeteria staff/budget being placed on a lower priority. The first makes it increasingly difficult to make food on the spot as nutritional values take increasingly higher priority over cooking process and price/availability of ingredients, and most public schools find it easier to solve the problem by outsourcing most of the production. It leads to select companies trying to compete with price while using the nutritional guidelines as the "OK" metric over more subjective things, and leads to the bland-but-healthy meals you commonly see parents/students complain about.

When I grew up in the early 2000s to early 2010s, the elementary school and middle school had that mediocre meal which was subsidized and was either low cost or free depending on your family's economic status. I'd often skip lunch except for milk, but I was a picky eater - I'd probably tolerate it better today. In high school we had both that option and another contractor which provided an unsubsidized but cheapish processed foods. They were pretty unhealthy but very tasty and filling, and I'd say 1/2 to 3/4 of the kids got that depending on the particular dish that day. Carbonated juices, gatorade, giant cookies as big as your face, bacon + cheese sandwiches on giant bread, etc. So yeah, I'd say that focusing too much on serving ideally healthy food ended up making things worse in many cases.

Did anyone here go to a private school? How was the food there?

>> No.16275692

>>16275606
It was inediable post Michelle Obama. Ateast in California. t. Just graduated last year