[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 112 KB, 960x720, gumbo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16275602 No.16275602 [Reply] [Original]

So I only got into cooking last year because i wanted to get more fit and am still pretty noob. Now im making gumbo tonight and my rue smelled like it had a slight burn, but it never got burnt looking and stayed liquid and didn't get too thick. However, tasting it with my garlic, celery, onions, bell pepper, and jalapenos, it didn't taste burnt. Im wondering how it could have smelt burn while just as a rue but not taste it when i mix in the rest of the ingredients. I also basted my chicken in Steel Reserve because it's the only thing I had and i very rarely drink.

>> No.16275642

>>16275602
It's spelled roux, and if it's too liquid you probably didn't use roughly equal amounts of flour and fat.

Speaking of, what fat did you use? For a dark roux you want to use something with a higher smoke point. There's always going to be some amount of weird smell, but that helps mitigate it a lot.

>> No.16275652

>>16275602
dunno about what you might have fucked up, but make it in the oven next time. shit is fool proof.

1 cup flour, 1 cup oil, 350 degree oven for 90 minutes. took it from alton's recipe although I don't go for seafood gumbos.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shrimp-gumbo-recipe-1946875

>> No.16275660

>>16275642
Thanks I thought the flower seemed low. After like 40 minutes I almost contemplated adding some corn starch, but decided it would be better to be consistent with flour. I decided only to add a tiny amount of flour because I thought the new flour would be a different texture.
>fat
only had avocado oil. i figured since it has high smoke point it'd suffice, but idk if it would throw flavor because avocado is one of the only foods I mostly avoid. like i said im kinda newer and was getting more /fit/ and at the time i kinda stayed away from using high amounts of cooking fats, but became more and more lax.

>>16275652
ok i see i added half flower for 1 cup oil and for about 70 minutes. Thanks for oven advice ill try that next time

>> No.16275686

>>16275602
whenever you use oil instead of butter roux just smells bad. Flour isn't exactly fragrant, and hot oil doesn't have a very good smell either. So it's natural.

>> No.16275690
File: 35 KB, 600x600, Naamloos-2[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16275602
>what went wrong with my rue?
It was probably too bitter.

>> No.16275697

>>16275686
wait would you actually use butter? I feel that'd be real overpowering and burn way too early.

>>16275690
wish i was high iq enough to understand so i could say the thing

>> No.16275711

>>16275690
Lmao fuck off carlos

>> No.16275736

>>16275697
You use butter to make low-temp light roux.

>> No.16275764

>>16275736
so for a gumbo it'd probably be bad since it needs to be hotter? or can there be low-temp gumbo?

>> No.16275768

>>16275764
Yes. You want a nice dark roux for most gumbo recipes. Conventionally lard is used.

>> No.16275988

You could use clarified butter for a dark roux, I feel like avocado oil would taste odd. As >>16275768 said lard would make the most sense given the regional origins

>> No.16276006

>>16275602
>smelled burned but didn't taste or look burned
spilled ingredients on your burner
>too thin
used too much fat

too much fat will make your gumbo oily, but other than that it doesn't sound too bad. if it thickened the gumbo enough for you, use less fat next time. if it didn't thicken the gumbo enough for you, use more flour next time.

>> No.16276007

>>16275736
>>16275988
You can also use regular butter for a dark roux. It's mostly done, because it's quicker and only done for colour anyways.

>> No.16276688

>>16275660
it's flour you mongoloid

>> No.16276719

>>16275697
butter is the authentic way to make a French roux. It's more difficult though because butter burns much more easily than oil. Oil is the idiot-proof way to make a roux. Another poster in this thread gave the Alton Brown recipe. Alton Brown claims you can't really tell the difference between a roux with butter or one with oil in terms of flavor. But like I said, a roux made with butter will smell a lot better, but is it worth the extra effort?

>> No.16276751

>>16275602
>So I only got into cooking last year because i wanted to get more fit and am still pretty noob. Now im making gumbo tonight and my rue smelled like it had a slight burn, but it never got burnt looking and stayed liquid and didn't get too thick. However, tasting it with my garlic, celery, onions, bell pepper, and jalapenos, it didn't taste burnt. Im wondering how it could have smelt burn while just as a rue but not taste it when i mix in the rest of the ingredients. I also basted my chicken in Steel Reserve because it's the only thing I had and i very rarely drink.
It's a french word, so roux is the correct spelling, fyi
You can heat a roux at least 4 shades, and likely the burn smell was the butter, not the flour.
Staying liquid? Do you mean to say that the roux never got thick or the stew never got thickened from the roux?
The roux is 50/50 approximately equal parts of fat to flour, so you can eyeball it as either pasty and dry, or not too much flour, and fix it there on the spot for the better ratio. The goal is really not to have grains not completely coated in the fat. If your stew never thickened up, you didn't have enough roux for the liquid. Since the roux is a flavoring as much as thickener, just make more on the side and add more, or use fresh okra, or, finish the dish tableside by passing the gumbo file powder, which is the proper Louisiana tradition, to let each guest at the table thicken their own to their own satisfaction. File powder was introducted to the locals from the choctaw indians and behaves like the gumminess inside okra, a tremendous thickener. The sassafras flavor is pleasant to me, almost a bay leaf hint, but love of it varies.

>> No.16276822

>>16276719
You don't use butter for a gumbo roux, your butter would be black before your flour was ready