[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 96 KB, 720x303, 7EC35BC1-020C-4665-809F-BCF82FA355FF.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16249171 No.16249171 [Reply] [Original]

Where's a good source of Cooking 101 tutorials? I just moved out and don't know how to cook aside from frozen shit with directions.

>> No.16249177

>>16249171
Learn to cook eggs.

>> No.16249186

>>16249177
I know how to hardboil them. No idea how to scramble them. I'm literally clueless on cooking shit.

>> No.16249197

>cooking 101
you sound like the type of person who would, in 2021, buy a cooking for dummies book. i'm sure you look exactly like the picture you posted
if you wanna eat something, look it up, there's a near infinite amount of resources to help you. a lot of them in video format, too. that should be easy to follow right buddy?
then make 100 mistakes, learn from them and if all else fails you're free to ask about the fuckups

>> No.16249243

>>16249197
Thanks, I figured YouTube was a good source, just wasn't sure if there was a good beginner source like some other boards reference to get into their respective interests.

>> No.16249260

Foodwishes on youtube.
Pick a recipe you like and follow it. Real simple.

>> No.16249278

Learn about knife techniques (how to mince, dice), mother sauces (tomato sauce, bechamel, veloute, hollandaise and demi glace) and cooking methods (baking, stir-frying, that sorta stuff)
With that you, start doing dishes you wanna try and following the recipes
Not too fancy, just basic stuff
If you enjoy doing that, progress to more difficult stuff

>> No.16249287

>>16249260
This, regardless of how you feel about his voice, chef John is really good about explaining what he's doing and why so you actually learn technique and not just how to follow a recipe.

>> No.16249330

youtubers who steal from tried and true sources like america's test kitchen are usually a solid bet, especially if they have newbie content. babish has this, though many of his "basic" recipes are still a bit advanced, and the videos often do not fully match the blog posts.
ethan chlebowski has some good videos, though he tends to overexplain some things and can be a little cringy (not as much as babish or weissman though)
internet shaquille has content that's geared more toward the youtube algorithm of yesteryear, so shorter videos and more talking than b-roll. having a video jam packed with info that's less than 10 mins long is nice sometimes, because i can easily pause or go back but i also don't need to spend 20 minutes listening to filler content because someone wanted to pad out the video for extra ad space.

a great place to start is picking a type of meat and learning the ins and outs of cooking it in various forms. just learn the ins and outs of chicken, beef, or pork and make frozen veggies with a side of rice. if you cook these on the stove top, you can turn the leftover pan juices into a nice butter sauce to go on top of the rice.
if you want to learn breakfast stuff, just start making your own eggs and yogurt parfaits at home.

>> No.16249334

>>16249171
trial and error, you will learn how to use salt

>> No.16249338

Keep it simple so that every single ingredient and cooking method means something to you.

>> No.16249339

>>16249171
The Internet

>> No.16249342

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTociictyyE

>> No.16249344

>>16249339
The Internet is so bad nowadays that I don't blame people for not finding recipes on their own. Some days, I feel like a panda bear.

>> No.16249364

start here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nffGuGwCE3E

>> No.16249405

>>16249342
Never trust this fraud for anything.
You're better off with Marco's Knorr shilling

>> No.16249479

Learn how to fry an egg first, they're cheap and forgiving, and there are so many acceptable levels of doneness you'll begin to develop a sense of heat and timing while having little chance of completely ruining your food to where you'll have to throw it out. From there move to chicken breast and ground beef, either in patties or as loose meat for meat sauce or tacos or something similar. Pork chops are also in this catagory. These are also cheap and easy and give you a lot of room to experiment and figure out what spices you like. Don't worry about using store bought components like jarred sauce when you're at this level. Use salt also, like if you make pasta or potatoes add a decent amount of salt to the water you boil them in, it should be at a similar level of saltiness to seawater. Homemade fries are cheap, easy, and go with everything, the trick is to cook them twice, I like to boil them until they're tender but not falling apart, let them dry, then fry them. Fast food places use multiple rounds of deep frying.

Rather than list off a bunch of recipes I'll recommend the show Good Eats, he has some retarded ideas now and again but it's overall a good resource.

>> No.16249509

>>16249260
Chef john got me into cooking too
Here is an easy recipe from chef john
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM6_HAiUIlA
Just need potatoes, and the rest of the stuff like oil, butter, spices, etc. are essential ingredients that you should buy (and keep in stock) too.

I'm assuming you have a stove and a microwave. Buy a non-stick skillet and make this recipe. Incredibly easy and delicious.

>> No.16249572

>>16249509
My first recipe of his that I made was the shitty cauliflower pizza