[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 92 KB, 1000x667, shutterstock_90889457.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15809630 No.15809630 [Reply] [Original]

Any diabetics here who have successfully unfucked their metabolism a second time?

>be me
>get diagnosed
>readings of 380-410 fasting and post-meal
>do keto
>seven months later
>readings are routinely under 100 and A1C is 5.7
>
>fast forward four years
>don't even bother testing any more
>A1C is 5.3
>doctor says no sign of diabetes
>can eat a sandwich without feeling like I'm dying
>can put tunafish on some crackers and never notice a problem
>get stuck caring for my obnoxious bitch of a mother who broke her hip
>she refuses to let me cook
>have to go out to eat fast food all the time
>pizza, hamburgers, all that crap
>finally she's better and I can leave
>one day
>eat a chicken bake at Costco
>immediately feel tired, headache, generally awful
>my sweat smells horrible
>test blood glucose
>190

Can I unfuck my metabolism a second time, or am I doomed forever? Understand, I know I can *CONTROL* my blood glucose by never eating carbs, but for nearly four years I was able to have a sandwich or some crackers with tunafish and not go out of range.

>> No.15809657

>>15809630
I think you can. Do your best, man.

Tomorrow I have blood work. Don't know what's wrong with me, but my blood sugar is constantly low, today I almost passed out. Thirst, tingling feet. I'm skinny, I don't know what's happening.

>> No.15809670

>>15809630
Can't you keto yourself better again? I know it's shit but you've done it once and seen result, you can do it again.

Do you have to take any precautions starting keto? My mum had beetus and I'd love to suggest this to her, not that she'll ever take her health seriously.

>> No.15809784

>>15809657
Thanks, here's hoping. Good luck finding out what's going wrong.

>>15809670
>Can't you keto yourself better again?
I dunno. I've read that you basically get one shot and that it doesn't work again after that, but that's anecdotal.

>Do you have to take any precautions starting keto?
Is she T1 or T2? T1 can only reduce insulin usage, and I've heard it's more difficult. T2, well, the longer she's been diabetic the more her insulin resistance has built up, so it may not be possible for her to reverse it, just control it and reduce the ongoing damage going forward. I know I wasn't diabetic 15 months prior to diagnosis, and only started feeling bad maybe around three months before I was diagnosed. It hit me fast.

The one big issue is that some of the medications can cause her to go into DKA or a low-glucose coma if she is taking them while also eliminating carbs.

Glimepiride has this weird bursty effect which slams blood glucose levels so low she'll black out if she isn't constantly feeding carbs to her metabolism.

SGLT2 drugs cause a never-before-seen form of DKA where the person actually has normal blood glucose levels but nevertheless is in full-blown gonna-die-soon DKA.

Other than that, the big problem is just learning how to do it and how to manage insulin use while eating a reduced carb load. When I was diagnosed, I immediately started keto and ignored the doctors telling me it was pointless and that I had to start using insulin. I lucked out, because they prescribed both glimepiride and an SGLT2 drug, and I decided on my own to just take Metformin and reduce my carb load and see what happened. I stopped taking Metformin five months later because my blood glucose levels never went over 160-ish unless I did something really stupid, and they only even went that high if I went out for sushi.

>> No.15809932

>>15809630
idk I'm not officially diabetic (I probably am though) but I stopped getting blood sugar crashes and food cravings when I started smoking weed daily

>> No.15810342

>>15809932
That's just because you constantly munch on Doritos now.

>> No.15810389

Assuming you're type 2 yea you've done it before no reason you can't unfuck yourself a second time.

Us type one virgins aren't so lucky.

>> No.15810753

>>15810389
I know. Sympathies. On the plus side, the only thing wrong with you is that your islet cells got killed. Researchers have already figured out how to generate new islet beta cells from your very own fat-derived stem cells so there's no tissue rejection issue, and the only remaining question is how to protect the autotransplanted cells from your own immune system, which they may be able to do mechanically.

Solve that one little problem and all of you T1's are cured permanently.

For us T2's, every cell in our bodies is fucked, and the mechanism is already understood, and there's no clear path to any sort of solution. All those extra receptors inside every single cell would have to be eliminated somehow.

>> No.15811758

>>15809630
>>she refuses to let me cook
you cant just leave this in there and not fucking explain
is your mother seriously so addicted to fast food that she'd literally prefer it over a proper home-cooked meal every day?
what a fucking fag

can you put her on this thread so we can abuse her? thanks

>> No.15811774

>>15809630
>can eat a sandwich without feeling like I'm dying
What does this mean? What did it feel like?

>> No.15811780

>>15811758
You really going to assume a /ck/ poster can cook?
>puuuhhhllleeeeassse let us laff at your mom
Second question, are you a teenaged girl?

>> No.15811922

>>15809784
Thanks for all the info. Truth be told mum isn't gonna look after her health especially in it's any sort of effort - she's T2 but doesn't even monitor her own blood sugar levels to understand how they fluctuate. Anyway, I'll file this info away in my brain for when I inevitably get T2 from having family that has it.

>> No.15812938 [DELETED] 

>>15811758
She just doesn't want me making a mess (as if).

>> No.15812999

OP back, holy crap this was still alive but was on "page 11" when I loaded it, just barely managed to bump in time to save it.

>>15811922
Glad to, no prob. Genetic predisposition is not an absolute. If you avoid carbs generally, it's difficult to cause your insulin resistance to rise to the point that you develop T2. Even if you develop T2, if you catch it early enough I'm proof you can reverse it, at least until you backslide and ruin your metabolism again.

>>15811774
It's hard to explain, but:
>be feeling sort of normal, for what passes for normal when your blood glucose is already out of range, but you get used to it
>eat something containing carbs because you don't know the reason you've been feeling like crap is that you're now diabetic
>blood glucose spikes MUCH higher
>feel a sudden headache, combined with sudden fatigue, and general awfulness, not quite nausea but you wish it were
It really makes you reconsider the legacy of that degenerate drunken gambler John Montagu the Fourth Earl.

>>15811758
>she refuses to let me cook
>you cant just leave this in there and not fucking explain
What's to explain? She throws a shitfit when I cook. Doesn't matter what I do, if it's not the noise then she claims I left a mess, if it's not the mess then she hates the way it smells, if it's not the smell then she gets pissed at the noise. She's a miserable cunt and no one else in the family is willing to deal with her. I was visiting when she decided to go for a walk and broke her hip so I got stuck with her.

It's keto, literally all I do is make a pile of baked turkey drumsticks so that I can eat them over the next week. How fucking messy is baking a couple of trays of drumsticks?

>is your mother seriously so addicted to fast food that she'd literally prefer it over a proper home-cooked meal every day?
No, she subsists on cornflakes and dry toast. Not even joking. She weighs about 80lbs.

>can you put her on this thread so we can abuse her? thanks
No, fuck off.

>> No.15813023

>>15811780
>You really going to assume a /ck/ poster can cook?
Bitch please. Cooking for keto is trivial. You bake a bunch of turkey drumsticks. You open a can of tunafish. You eat a salad. You fry some eggs and bacon. This is not Cordon Bleu. The most complicated thing I make at home is an omelet. The messiest is a cheese sauce for cauliflower.

>> No.15813497

>>15809657
So, my results are in.

Glycemic index: 83 (normal)
Total Cholesterol: 192 (normal)
HDL: 67 (high - 35/65)
LDL: 114 (desirable range - optimal is <100)
Triglycerides: 54 (very low - optimal is <150)

So I don't know what's wrong. Maybe I've been eating too little lately.

>> No.15813956

>>15813497
What's your average day in food look like? Have you had those symptoms again since that incident?

>> No.15814226

>>15813956
Morning
>One whole wheat bread slice
Lunch
>One bowl of aglio e olio pasta
Snack
>A fruit or some ice cream or chocolate
Dinner
>Steamed fish with vegetables
Late night snack
>A glass of whole milk
Throughout the day
>Black coffee (lots)

That was my food routine for the past 10 days, at least. I didn't think I was eating too little, but I guess I was.

Since the incident, I've been feeling better overall, and eating a little more as well. A mouth full of raisins literally prevented me from going into hypo coma yesterday.

>> No.15814285

>>15814226
Very strange, the diet doesn't seem particularly bad. I'd say add more variety in there but it doesn't look bad enough to make you malnourished or anything. Have you always been drinking lots of black coffee? That can fuck you up sometimes, might need a break from the caffeine. The effects vary from person to person but some studies have shown caffeine to either lower or increase blood sugar levels, depending on the person. I guess it can generally fuck with your natural insulin response or something.

>> No.15814918

>>15809630
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

>> No.15814919

Has your weight crept back up?
I had a similar story.
Got diagnosed
Five months of keto took me from 387lbs and Aic of 8.9
To
347lbs and Aic of 5.5
From there my blood sugar seemed to have stabilized and I slowly got more lax about carbs over the years.
Climbed back to 489 with an Aic over seven before really noticing.
On my way back down. Not doing keto this time. Going Low carb / slow carb without dumping into ketosis. Easier on the body and feels like it will be more sustainable.
Inb4 400lb fatass...
Yep 400lb fatass.

>> No.15814932

>>15814919
Eek not 489, 389.
I mean still fatass, but like, not one of those fatass on wheels fatasses.

>> No.15814943

>>15814226
None of the stuff you eat is actually nutritious except the fish and milk, also maybe you drink too much coffee it can fuck with some people.

>> No.15814963

>>15814919
Sad that you relapsed. I think you need to think about why you gained back 42 pounds and why your sugar got so bad.
Really think, what choices did you make?
It is possible to lose as much weight as you want with enough persistence, but once you are finished, if you go back to your old ways you will be 400 lbs again, no doubt about it.
You need to pick a plan that works for you FOR LIFE. That's the only way. If you can't at least maintain weight, you'll be fat forever.
Fellow fatty here on the path, just wanted to put in my 2cents

>> No.15814982

>>15814918
Does she have a penis?
'o_o

>> No.15815169

>be on /ck/
>do amerifats really?
>RENT FREE
>it's an american board running on american servers based in america
>see this thread
Like clockwork.

>> No.15815317
File: 34 KB, 408x286, 111191918111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15815169

>> No.15815678

>>15814963
Yep, agree 100%
I just got lazy and stopped paying attention. When you can eat something carb heavy now and again without your blood sugar getting out of control, it’s easy to think you are fixed and fall back into just eating whatever whenever. Coming to terms with the fact that this shit is permanent was rough. I’m back down into the 370s and still dropping. The big thing that I have going for me is my frame, if I was a manlet that weight might have gotten me couch bound or riding around in one of those Walmart scooter things.
I’m paying attention again, and my wife got me a great Dane / Lab mix that requires a 40minute to an hour walk every night to stay healthy, which means my ass is out there every night.
I’m wanted to let OP know that yes, you can keep fixing it, but if keto didn’t stick, try something less drastic and easier to maintain.

>> No.15815721

can i get a QRD on diabetes?
i genuinely dont get it
how do you get it?
what are the symptoms?
how does it change your life?
what's glucose?
not trolling, genuinely curious brainlet

>> No.15815747

>>15815721
See >>15814918

>> No.15815820

>>15814918
she is oddly attractive
i like her voice
and thank you for posting
>>15815747
and thank you for directing me to this
this is informative, i feel/hope

>> No.15815866

>>15810389
My mom's type 1, she's so damn brittle she'll plummet to 40 in the middle of the night with little to no insulin taken or she'll eat a spoonful of rice and shoot up to 500. And when she goes low she'll eat and drink sugar stuff and it'll refuse to go up until later that night where it'll shoot up to 500+. Shes hospitalized for DKA at least 3 times a year.

>> No.15816564

>>15813497
>>15814226
Wow, I think I see the problem.

When I eat carbs, even though (or perhaps because) I'm a T2, my blood glucose crashes hard, which makes me crave even more carbs. It looks like your entire day up until dinner is carbohydrates. Even if you're limiting the amount, perhaps even especially because you're limiting the amount, you're going to go through huge swings.

Decades ago I used to "eat healthy" by having a big bowl of raisin bran for breakfast. I'd head in to work, and by 11am I'd be ready to kill everyone in sight because I was so hungry and my blood glucose was so low. Eventually I figured out that the reason I kept having GERD was because of the milk, so I quit eating cereal. Starving myself all morning wasn't pleasant but it was actually better for me than eating all those carbs.

Try having eggs and bacon in the morning, either with or without your toast. Skip the (pure carbs) pasta for lunch and eat something that's at least a little more mixed. You're not getting a lot of calories, but for most of the day, nearly ALL of the calories you're getting are from carbs.

>> No.15816640

>>15814919
Good luck on the low/slow, I hope it works for you. The nice thing I found about keto is that by not eating carbs, I don't have the carb cravings and blood glucose level swings. I hope being careful gives you the same results.

(OP here) Yes, I gained about 20lbs back. I'm where I was when I was first diagnosed.

One of the reasons I kinda gave up was that keto didn't cause much weightloss once I got past the initial period. I went from 270 to 240, bounced back up to 250, and then nothing I did would make it go lower again. I went to OMAD for a while and even that only took me down five pounds, then back up.

During someone else's diabetes thread maybe 2-3 years ago, I sat down and actually measured out the calories in all of my recipes -- I had five pretty standard meals that I rotated through depending on what I felt like on a given day. They all came in around 1300 calories. No, I'm not joking, no, I wasn't cheating, I was maintaining 250 on 1300cal/day.

I personally blame my mother for that, too. When she was pregnant, she didn't want to gain any weight, so she damn near starved me to death. I came out weighing one pound eight ounces and was premature. Then she proceeded to decide that she didn't want me to get fat, so she starved me damn near to death again for the next two years. Then my grandparents intervened and gave her a "helper" who actually bothered to feed me.

The studies for the last few decades have consistently shown that people born into a famine end up having extremely slow metabolisms. That's me, for certain. And thanks to the miracle of epigenetics that will get passed on to any child I father as well.

Thanks mom, you fucking bitch.

>> No.15816697

>>15815721
For type 1:
>some event causes all of your pancreatic beta cells to die
>this can be autoimmune, shitty genetics, drug reaction, infection, or any other cause
>no beta cells means no more insulin
>without insulin your body cannot keep blood glucose controlled
>your blood glucose levels rise until you go into a coma and die
>this is inevitable without treatment

For type 2:
>all digestible carbohydrates get turned into glucose by your digestion
>insulin is a hormone that your body makes to push glucose into your cells
>the more carbs you eat, the more insulin your body makes
>eventually
>all that insulin causes your cells to create more insulin receptors on their cell wall membranes
>those membranes then fold in on themselves and pinch off and drop inside the cells
>then those receptors that are no longer on the walls soak up insulin and prevent it from being useful
>eventually
>your body can no longer produce enough insulin to force the glucose into the cells
>your blood glucose levels start going skyhigh
>glucose is incredibly corrosive and causes damage to everything
>your blood vessels start rupturing, you get bleeds in your eyes, kidneys, feet, hands
>then the amputations begin
>eventually people start jokingly referring to you as Bob, Matt, or Potato
>if your blood glucose goes too high, you may enter diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) which kills you quickly
>or go into a diabetic coma, which can kill you
Not long before I was diagnosed, I missed days of work because I spent more than 24 hours probably unconscious, or maybe just so out of it that I didn't know what day it was any more.

>> No.15816708

>>15814918
Thanks, downloading it to watch now.

>> No.15816726

>>15809784
>learning how to do it and how to manage insulin use while eating a reduced carb load
When I eat a 0 carb meal I don't inject anything and my glucose reading after those meals is always spot on. Right now I have a tram of 5 "doctors" through gestational diabetes and 1 of them is such a cunt and doesn't want me messing with the insulin amount even though my numbers are beautiful. I've managed to figure out my carb/sugar to insulin ratio so I'm always 130 or lower. Thr other docs say its fine since it "seems" to be working, but that one cunt gets pissy and wants me to stay on the "schedule" of insulin which if I did it her way with my varied diet I would end up in an insulin coma.

>> No.15816733

>>15815866
Sounds like a good reason to get a CGM with an alarm function. I just priced them, the sensors are about $10 per day. Yikes. Worth it if she's got wild swings like that, though.

My nephew (T1) has that plus a pump. I don't know if they can link the two yet so that the pump would be controlled by the CGM.

>> No.15816746

>>15816726
>but that one cunt gets pissy and wants me to stay on the "schedule" of insulin which if I did it her way with my varied diet I would end up in an insulin coma.
Yeah, sometimes you just have to ignore the quacks. If I'd listened to them when I was diagnosed, well, all those drugs plus insulin, they were telling me I had to eat 12 servings of carbs per day, steadily, to keep the glimepiride from putting me in a coma. I'd probably be dead already.

With gestational diabetes, it all clears up as soon as the baby is born, doesn't it? Or soon after, anyway? Good luck!

>> No.15816774

>>15816746
Lol fugg, I hate them fucks sometimes.

>With gestational diabetes, it all clears up as soon as the baby is born, doesn't it? Or soon after, anyway? Good luck!
Yup, but diabetes runs in the family, so I more than likely will be straight t2 this time. Unfortunately for me its not as simple as going on a nice low carb diet because spouse likes to buy absolute junk that I can not will myself not to eat. He's obese and has been on diets and slimmed down throughout the years, but for what ever reason will not do it again. Our 2 kids would be fine going on a diet too, and since they're still young it'll reinforce prime eating habits, it's just something I can not do on my own. I can resist the trash he brings home from time to time (somehow spends 60 bucks "grocery shopping but ends up with food to make 1 meal and trash and soda; I grocery shop 200 bucks and we're good for a week and a half, 2 piece of trash), but not always.

>> No.15817049

>>15816564
I'm only eating fish right now because it's Lent, but I liked your idea about breakfast. I'll eat scrambled eggs for breakfast and try to mix up a little during lunch. Thanks.

>> No.15817131

I have an irrational fear of developing type 2 because I had a couple of fasting blood glucose readings around 90 a few years back and that's pretty high even if it's "normal".
I'm not fat, I'm white, and both of my parents are fat and not diabetic. No relatives with it either. Do I have anything to worry about?

>> No.15817147

>>15817131
death comes for us all

>> No.15817176

>>15816733
if you're testing before and after meals and every time you use your car anyway you'll be using $7-10 in strips anyway. problem is you can't ration with GCM and so if it's a lazy day at home you still are paying 10 bucks regardless.

>> No.15817214

>>15817131
Fasting blood glucose is often used as an indicator for diabetes but if you really want to know you should go to the doctor and do an oral glucose tolerance test to tell you how/if you are insulin resistant and at risk of developing diabetes

>> No.15817506

Hey OP, are you the anon that started the thread about countertop grills and how to cook chicken in the house without having to listen to your mother bitch about the smell?

>> No.15817915

Gonna bump this because its informative

>> No.15818245

>>15815866
I've had T1 for 30+ years. I used to have a lot of crazy swings like this. Been keto for 6 or 7 years now and it has been really good. It takes a couple weeks to figure out your basal insulin dose on keto, but it's worth it. Some endos really hate it because it takes them out of their comfort zones, but they won't argue with you much if you get good numbers. It feels so, so good now to have a 6.0 A1c with very few highs and lows.

>> No.15818260

>>15818245
>nooooo you have to eat 100 g of carb per meal
It's all so tiresome

>> No.15818506

>>15818260
You can gently break it to your doctor by telling them you are trying to eat "lower-carb". Changing doctors (especially right now) is such a huge pain in the ass that sometimes this method is worth it.

>> No.15818868

Try intermittent fasting. Eat x2 a day, with an 8 hour gap in between. That way, Insulin isn't being spiked up. No snacks. And only eat whole food. Go paleo - no rice/bread etc. Easy on the potatoes and fruit. Eat meat/fish/eggs/veg/nuts/fruit(limited). Chuck in legumes if you want.

>> No.15818873

Best book on this - The New Evolution diet (Art De Vany). His wife was T2 diabetic. He put her on this diet, and the doctors after didn't believe she was ever diabetic. Also his son was T1 diabetic and he manages well.
t. dental studentt w/ biomedical science degree

>> No.15818897

>>15818873
Ya know if everybody stopped eating sugar and grains the dental business would get cut in half.

>> No.15818902

>>15818506
>Changing doctors (especially right now) is such a huge pain in the ass
Once they get that you're not an idiot who wants to eat nothing but a whole pecan pie topped with mashed potatoes 5 meals a day, and that what you're doing is basically working (and they don't need to battle your self destructive instincts), they're generally much more cooperative.

Fasting for a day every now and then when my blood feels high seems to help.
Eat your vegetables and go for a walk.

>> No.15818911

>>15818897
100%. unfortunately, dentistry will be MASSIVE in the future. Kids these days drink coke 24/7

>> No.15818917

>>15818902
Yeah, and it takes about a year of consistently good labs for them to trust that you're not a fucking moron about a disease you've had for longer than they're been practicing. There must be a hell of a lot of morons out there for them to be like that. I'd be willing to wager T1 patients range from best ever to fucking nightmares, T2's are probably consistently mildly annoying to them.

>> No.15818968

If she broke her hip how can she not let you do anything? Anon, strike a better deal or just drop the sow. You > anyone else. Gotta teach people how to treat you or else you get fucked.

>> No.15818989

fucking americans its not hard to eat healthy
despise that """country"""

>> No.15818990

>>15809630
>have to go out to eat fast food all the time
Not true

>> No.15818992

>>15817147
>>15817214
But why even go through the trouble if I have no risk factors?

>> No.15819023 [DELETED] 

>>15809630
>>15816640
>>15813497
You are fat as fuck and have high cholesterol, your diet is garbage and you probably don't work out, you don't know how to count calories, then you poisoned yourself with ketolard on top of all that. What a dumb fucking thread, the absolute state of Americans. Eat a carrot ketonigger

>> No.15819027

>>15809630
Exercise once in a while, fat ass.

>> No.15819068

>>15817049
Can someone blackpill me on lent? What happens in lent? Whats the restrictions?

>> No.15819156

>>15819068
Some religions do not eat meat during lent; some do not eat meat on certain days during lent.
In general, some voluntary lifestyle sacrifice is expected during lent or the social leader who oversees you will tell God that you've been naughty.

>> No.15819463

>>15819156
Isn't it crazy restrictive though. Like no meat/fish/olive oil etc. Vegan for 40 days.

>> No.15819499

>>15819463
Blackpill us on it since you know so much

>> No.15819961

Type 2's make me sick, you can avert it but you disgusting fat cunts do it to yourselves meanwhile Type 1's (me) get it forced onto us.

>> No.15820502

>>15818873
Thanks anon, I will check this out, looks interesting.

>> No.15820512

>>15809784
>I've read that you basically get one shot and that it doesn't work again after that
That doesn't sound true at all.

>> No.15820583

>>15819068
Why do you want to be blackpilled?

Lenten practices vary. Catholic Canon Law requires abstinence from meat during the 40 days of Lent, but most Catholics only do that for Holy Friday. During said abstinence you can eat fish, drink dairy and eat eggs, but that didn't used to be the case. In the Middle Ages, you were required to forgo all of that, as well as oils. Other than forgoing warm-blooded animal flesh, you are encouraged to give up other things that are important to you for Lent, but that's a personal sacrifice and offering that you make, it can be coffee, it can be sweets, it can be doing X thing that you enjoy or it could be doing X thing that you don't enjoy, like visiting an old folks home or volunteering at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter, something like that.

>> No.15822076

>>15819463
It depends on which particular imaginary skyfriend cult you are a part of, and how serious you are about it.

I gave up religion for lent several years ago and feel much better.
I can only imagine that some other sects feel fantastic from all the chocolate and ribeye steak they don't eat.

>> No.15822122

>>15822076
>I gave up religion for lent
I bet you think that's hilarious.

>> No.15822211

>>15822122
>I bet you think that's hilarious.
I bet you think that's retarded

>> No.15822973

>>15819961
Hey anon I’m type 1 too and share some of the same sentiment. However, a lot of type 2s aren’t that overweight or are overweight at all, especially the older you get.

OP I’m soon to be an RD in a couple months and hope to be a CDE /CDCES down the road. Are you on any meds for management? Also your dietary recall in >>15814226
doesn’t look awful but one thing I see that could help is staying away from “naked” carbs, or food that has only carbs. I see this in breakfast, snack and lunch. For breakfast, you could add some peanut butter or avocado to the toast to add fat and/or protein, lunch add some chicken to the pasta to add protein, and in the snack maybe think of some substitutions or pairings. One idea I have is chocolate hummus dip (SUPER good, don’t knock it til you try it) with 15-25g carbs of whole grain crackers or similar. You could also do a protein shake. If you don’t like them try getting a flavor that matches your ice cream and adding just one scoop of ice cream to the protein shake and blending to make a milk shake. Some cheese to go with your fruit could be a good pairing since it adds fat and protein. Keep in mind that while we add in protein and fats to our naked carbs we don’t want to increase calories, so the pairings will need you to reduce the amount of the servings to compensate.

>> No.15823006

>>15822973
The reason we want to add protein or fat in with our meals is because they slow digestion in the stomach and gastric emptying (carbs aren’t absorbed in the stomach but in the intestines, so the longer we spread out the time it takes for food to get there the steadier your blood sugar) and also slows the absorption in the small intestine. I’d also recommend choosing “whole” versions of foods - whole grain toast like you said you have, whole grain pasta, brown rice, potatoes with skin, whole fruit instead of juice, etc. the reason for this is the fiber in it - it can slow everything down like fat and protein and has other health benefits.

>> No.15823425
File: 2.87 MB, 640x344, Tampopo.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15809630
What the hell do people on Keto eat for breakfast? Do you eat eggs everyday or what?

>> No.15823438

>>15823425
Eggs n Bacon every day or no breakfast at all

>> No.15823570

>>15810753
I'm a 60 year old tt1 with a family history (on both sides) of t2. No hope.

>> No.15824534

my a1c has been hovering at around 14 for six years straight

>> No.15824754

>>15809630
>>my sweat smells horrible
how exactly does it smell horrible? unironically describe the smell so that I may imagine it.

in my experience most people don't overeat but rather eat at inappropriate times. 3 meals a day is cancer. So is 2 meals a day and 1 meal a day. You should literally eat when you feel like it

>> No.15824923
File: 31 KB, 640x480, yoshi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw type 2 since childhood with acanthosis nigricans

>> No.15825707

>>15810753
>For us T2's, every cell in our bodies is fucked, and the mechanism is already understood, and there's no clear path to any sort of solution. All those extra receptors inside every single cell would have to be eliminated somehow.
The solution is to NOT TRIGGER ACTIVATION OF THE RECEPTORS. Eventually the receptors wither away if they're not being used. Read my advice:>>15818868
>>15818873

>> No.15825712

>>15820502
Good luck anon. The book is well worth the read.

>> No.15825881

>>15809630
>He doesn't cook behind his parents back

>> No.15826020
File: 81 KB, 1206x1070, a828e14e520713764c9a9d084305785e.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15810753
>For us T2's, ... there's no clear path to any sort of solution.
Have you been living under a rock? Just stop eating carbs.

>> No.15826059

>>15816640

"One meal a day" isn't a diet. That's just normal. One meal every two days or three days is a diet. One meal every 4, 5, or 6 days is fasting.

>> No.15826106

Cure for type 2
Fasting
Roll 72s (eat one meal around sedentary TDEE or until full in an hour or so in the morning. Fast around 72 hours refeed and start again)
Eat low carb (below 20g) only people who are at maintence should eat 70% fat cut it down to 50%
Apple cider vinegar supplements
Make sure to drink only water or electrolyte mix (google snake juice recipe)
Further questions go to /fast/ on /fit/

>> No.15826334

>>15824754
i think i read that diabetics smell of acetone, because the glucose gets converted to that in the sweat or something.

>> No.15826848

I am not even diabetic and this really gives me anxiety, best wishes to everyone here, hope you are all okay!

>> No.15826862

Is passing out after a big meal a sign of undiagnosed diabetes? I'm fine all day long working but the second I eat lunch I'm just physically exhausted to the point where i want to lie down at my desk and sleep the rest of the day. I've been getting around it by just eating at night but that cannot be healthy either

>> No.15827374

>>15826848
Can I shit in your mouth? Oops too late, I did already.

>> No.15827398

>>15809630
Wtf do you mean she refused to let you cook?

>> No.15829132

>>15826862
Dude, just get your blood tested.

>> No.15830619

>>15826862
>Is passing out after a big meal a sign of undiagnosed diabetes?
Mostly that's a sign of overeating.
If you're getting sleepy after a meal, you ate 2 or 3 times more than you probably should have.

If you're uncontrollably thirsty, that's a good idea to check for diabetes.

>> No.15830676

Type 1 here. Use a test strup to pop out my g6 sensor and itll last 4 weeks. Also fuck type 2 fatass faggots. I got type 1 when my parents divorced from stress at 13. I also love how no one in my life sees diabetes as a serious disease.

>> No.15830739

>>15830676
hahaha owned.

>> No.15830759

My mother was diagnosed with diabetes about a decade ago. She started eating healthy and working out and she no longer had diabetes. Irreversible disease my ass. Now she works as a personal trainer helping people over the age of 50 to get into shape.

>> No.15831404

>>15809630
Ur Lucky it's just pre diabetes take this seriously and commit to a permanent new lifestyle.

>> No.15831438

>>15818897
disgusting practice

>> No.15832998

>>15830619
>If you're uncontrollably thirsty, that's a good idea to check for diabetes
Lies. I had diabetes and am almost never thirsty. Numbers could be high, low, just right, doesn't affect my thirst.

>> No.15833007

>>15830676
>g6 sensor
?

>> No.15833012

Water
So much water
I probably put down close to two gallons someday.

>> No.15833479

>>15832998
>Lies. I had diabetes
Fair enough. Glad you escaped.
It's a pretty common thing among people who are beginning their battle with T2.
Getting your numbers checked is the only way to know for sure, but if you're really thirsty... get your numbers checked.

>> No.15834590

>>15830676
>serious disease
Yeah, it's a pretty difficult disease. It's a "hidden disability" until you have seizures and shit. Then evrybody treats you like a spaz for months. Employers like to try to fire you for it when they find out.

>> No.15835012

>>15833479
You sound thirsty for some cock.

>> No.15835232

>>15835012
Maybe, but not yours

>> No.15836925

No you can't once you have diabetes. by then your beta cells have died and there's really no bringing them back.

>> No.15836960

>>15832998
>what this symptom of the disease? nah it doesn't exist I don't have it innit
alright then

>> No.15837136

>>15834590
I am fortunate that i work in information technology and employers dont seem to have many issues. Its bizzare to me how little people know about diabetes as well ive seen some terrible misinfo on 4chan

>> No.15837171

>>15833007
Continuous glucose monitor. The sensors are expensive but you can wedge a test strip and pop the transmitter out, reset your phone, reciever, pump and reenter the code and reuse the same senspr without taking it off. The manufacturers tried to stop people from reusing sensors more than a week

>> No.15838945

Nice and informative thread.
Everyone except my father on that side of the family had T2 diabetes, so I've always been nervous. Recently bought a blood glucose tester (no health insurance until I get another job) and it was at 110 in the morning. However, eating makes it go down, and the morning reading is generally one of the highest throughout the day.
>wake up 110
>hour after carby breakfast 120
>two hours after breakfast 95
>three hours after breakfast 89
Are these normal ratings or do they hint at something I should possibly see the doctor about when I get the opportunity? I only bought the tester because I'm a hypochondriac and have family history.

>> No.15839073

>>15822076
>>15822211
>tips fedora
In this moment I feel euphoric

>> No.15839137

>>15838945
Those numbers are similar to what I achieve medicated.
Unmedicated, I go 200+, except for that time they hospitalized me and said "holy shit" when their meter couldn't get a reading and they just shot me full of insulin for 3 days. (24 hours after insulin, i was back into readable, 300+, but falling)

Doc says he wants me to be in the 90-105 range, but is fine with anything under 150.

>> No.15839148

>>15809630
>>my sweat smells horrible
Wait. Which odor exactly ? is it a real symptom ?

>> No.15839671

>>15839148
If your bloodsugars are 400+ for extended periods of time diabetics will give off an alcohol/ acetone smell. 190 wont do it though, if your bloodsugar rapidly goes up it can give hotflashes

>> No.15839871

>>15812999
okay but who gives a fuck if she bitches? if no one else is willing to take care of her, what's she gonna do, kick you out? you're legitimately diabetic brah

>> No.15840112

>>15839148
Dehydration exacerbates diabetes.
More water = more blood, so the same amount of sugar is a lower mg/dL concentration.

And yeah, if you're dehydrated, your sweat will be stinkier.

>> No.15840188

Diabetics are a waste of space and they should be thrown into the gas chamber.

>> No.15840631

>>15840188
Good luck with that. Type 1 diabetics are like Frank Herbert's Fremen.

>> No.15840740

>>15816746
a German saying is

>Was bringt den Doktor um sein Brot?/ a) Die Gesundheit, b) der Tod./ Drum hält der Arzt, auf daß er lebe,/ uns zwischen beiden in der Schwebe.

What deprives the doctor of his bread?/ a) health, b) death./ Therefore the doctor, that he may live,/ keeps us suspended between both.

>> No.15840752

>>15809630
did keto help you for losing weight?

>> No.15841125

>>15840112
>>15839671
Do you think i should get tested ?
i eat healthy
i drink a lot and piss a lot even if sometimes i feel like i pee more than i drink
My sweat is weird, like coffee or pot sometimes

>> No.15841139

>>15809784
>I dunno. I've read that you basically get one shot and that it doesn't work again after that, but that's anecdotal.
ketard "science"

>> No.15841985

>>15841125
Drink more water.
And have them check your a1c at your next physical exam, if you get a job. Every annual physical, too.
Just say you have a family history of diabetes; a1c test is easy to add to a cholesterol test.

>> No.15842090

Does anybody here wearing a Dexcom get opposing readings from a finger stick and a reading?
T1 diagnosed 1.5 years ago outta fucking nowhere.
Dexcom started in January.

>> No.15842122

>>15809630
the fast food fucked you up. it's not the carbs by themselves. carbs + pufa is the combination. all fast food is cooked in pufa (toxic fats which we mistakenly believe are healthy). you need to go back to keto and avoid the fast food for a few years, then reintroduce carbs but stay away from restaurant food

>> No.15842123

>>15842090
What is it like having biometric probes and pumps sticking out of you most of the time? Legitimately curious. I've had type 1 for longer than you've (probably) been alive. Is it annoying at all?

>> No.15842151

>>15842090
>>15842123
Oh, and this is not surprising. Different brands of glucose monitors can give you some pretty different results even from the same drop of blood. They are usually calibrated to be the most accurate on the lower end because it counts more there.

>> No.15842161

>>15842151
One of the first glucose monitors I had as a kid was just a test strip color reader. It's pretty funny. You had to put a huge drop of blood on the strip, time it, wipe it off, then feed it into the meter which gave you a numerical value based on the color. Lol.

>> No.15842178

>>15842161
The generation before me diabetics didn't even have home glucose monitors. A cadre of endocrinologists had decided that since they could be inaccurate it was better for patients to just not know at all. The technology was supressed. You had to get your blood glucose levels checked from hospitals labs or from ketone strips. Those were allowed to be used at home.

>> No.15842191

>>15809630
what is your BMI?

>> No.15842205

>>15816640
>fat
you must get down to a healthy weight, like 150 pounds, to end your diabetes. it is your body fat that is screwing up your metabolism.

>> No.15842208
File: 1.55 MB, 500x278, shit_fuck_really.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15842151
Yeah, I was just feeling very off and the Dex said 139 and a stick said 380.
All I've had in the last hour is some loose leaf tea and sugar-free pudding.
This is all tricknology I say with a picrelfuckingdamnit.

>> No.15842238

>>15842208
That's a pretty ridiculous discrepancy. You should do another test strip.

>> No.15842265

>>15842208
I have store brand CVS and Walmart redundancy backup monitors (because they're cheap) that I use when shit like this happens.

>> No.15843093

>>15830759
Did she do keto?