[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 54 KB, 1000x1000, chef apu sad.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15427704 No.15427704 [Reply] [Original]

I have never cooked a steak by myself because I'm too afraid to cook a decent piece of meat the wrong way.

Like, how would I know I don't overcook it to hell and back?

>> No.15427711

>>15427704
Start with cheaper cuts so you can practice maybe? See what's on sale at your local store

>> No.15427824

>>15427704
Its gonna be ok op, cook steak until its no longer red

>> No.15427990

>>15427704
Cut it open while you're cooking it to see the inside? The same as any other dish.

>> No.15428952

These people are kind of lying, don't cut it open it will lose juices and dry out plus it will cook a lot more after off the heat. I'm going to tell you right now just fucking time it.

Don't try to use your brain at first. If you like medium rare cook it for the time based on size of steak. Plenty of recipes on the internet.

Do not fuck with it, just use the clock then you will have a baseline that will not be utterly fucked.

>> No.15429195

you could use a thermometer that is left inside the meat while it cooks.

the touch test is a good guide. make sure you touch a part that is mostly meat, not gristle. and touch it every few minutes throughout the cooking so you know how the texture changes.

definitely look up cooking times for your size of steak. i've found that home-cooked steaks that are slightly overcooked don't taste that bad. it's not like you go from medium to lump of charcoal in a few seconds.

don't start with wagyu or other high-end cut.

>> No.15429221

>>15427704
Start with slices of pork and other easy meats to practice and get a feel for how long it takes for the heat to permeate and cook meat in general.
Cook in butter or oil so you don't ruin your pan, use salt, pepper, allspice or whatever you want if you want easy and quick seasoning prior to cooking.

I'm not some turbo autistic master chef but from what I was told, the way the meat cooks through depends on how much heat you're using, high heat and short duration will cook the outside quickly while leaving the inside less cooked while cooking at a lower heat and longer duration will cook the steak more thoroughly.
How long you need to cook your meat depends on the size and thickness of the cut, a big fucking dinosaur steak is obviously going to take longer while a cheap thin piece of pork might only need a few minutes at most.

Also flip your meat every other minute or so, so it cooks evenly or you'll be biting into a piece of shit.

>> No.15429290

>>15428952
>These people are kind of lying, don't cut it open it will lose juices and dry out

This is why /ck/ needs a sticky.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

>> No.15429363

>>15427704
pan searing is easy. i didn't know what i was doing but i made a perfect rib eye steak. get a decent thermometer.