[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 52 KB, 600x480, audibly sweating.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14101235 No.14101235 [Reply] [Original]

Tell me about the memorable moments you've had working in a kitchen, anons

>Busy lunch shift, we're understaffed and I'm trying to cook 12 different things at once
>Boss's milfy wife walks in wearing tomboy shorts, a tight t-shirt and converse trainers
>gladI'mwearinganapron.boner
>their kids come in to help out with the washing up, one is maybe 7 years old
>she keeps coming to my station to stock up crockery
>ofug, Imma get arrested
>Pray she doesn't bump into me
>Pray boss doesn't notice me crouch-walking
I was tired, stressed out, horny, terrified, irritated, and using an extremely sharp knife at breakneck speeds, it's a fucking miracle no one was hurt

>first day at new job
>small business, mum n pop place with one guy in the kitchen, now 2 because me
>the second the owners leave me alone with him, he pulls out a bag of MDMA and cuts out 2 lines on the brown board
>hoovers one, offers me the other
>'mate, are you serious? I'm not a prude but we're gonna be using knives and fryers n shit'
>'nah it's fine, the menu's easy and todays gonna be dead anyway'
>fuck it, snrrrrrrft
>spend shift microwaving jacket potatoes, shooting the shit and listening to speed metal
Quit that job at the first opportunity because it was going nowhere, but damn that was a fun 2 weeks. He didn't wash the board before using it again.

>> No.14101253
File: 13 KB, 644x800, 20200227_023234.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14101235
>Hey guize, I went to work wan day and it was, like... really hard and stuff

>> No.14101270

>>14101253
It really is just one autist obsessed with shitting on everyone with soyjacks, isn't it? Why do you do it?

>> No.14101306

>>14101235
Happened to me a couple years ago when i was working at a burger restaurant that most of you have probably been to many times.
>Woke up one morning
>Felt hungover
>Needed to get dressed fast or i would be late for my shift
>Saw a bottle of vodka i hadn't finished
>Got drunk and didn't show up
>Lost my job
>Drank some more

>> No.14101321

>>14101270
desu the soyjak meme is now cringier than the soy types themselves. Well. Almost.

>> No.14101498

>>14101235
I dont know OP, but u sound like a faggot.

>> No.14101689

Does fast food count?
>teenage coworkers
>ones off the cheeseburgers
>throws soccer ball he had in his trunk into the deep fryer
>fucking explodes
>covers him and other employee with scalding oil
>amberlamps called
>indian manager visits kid at hospital to slap him

>> No.14101752

>>14101235
>Work apps and prep in the same understocked, understaffed kitchen in "upscale" cougar bar ristorante for six months
>Chef comes in hungover and angry... oh boy!
>I'm rocking it, but it's busy. Order for calamari comes in.
>80s later, the chef FUCKING SCREAMS at me "Where's that fucking calamari, you useless twat!"
>"20 seconds chef."
>"If these people wanted to wait for their food, they'd go to McDonalds!" ... uh wut?
>By this time the calamari is up, and I'm plating it, but I have to shoot him a gobsmacked look, and the Gordon wannabe fires a hot pan at me.
>I turn, lift the calamari out of the way of the pan, get hit in the chest. Step over the pan, pop the squid in the window, grab my knives, salute, and leave.
>Chef starts chasing me through the restaurant apologizing. About fifteen feet from the door, I say loudly "I'll come back to work here when you have fresh seafood." ... half of the apps I'd put out that afternoon were calamari or fish tacos.
>The restaurant had a new name two weeks later.

>> No.14102715

found the opener passed out in the bathroom high on ketamine. I left him there and did the lunch rush and all the prep work by myself to let the fuckup rest for a little while before the gm eventually showed up.

>> No.14102792

>work in regular's "gastro pub"
>good neighborhood spot, burgers, handcut fries, sandwiches, sauces. everything made from scratch.
>new kitchen manager fucks the whole menu and turns it into a french bistro with bullshit no regular ever ordered.
>business basically drops off
>rest of staff is pissed, everyone looking to jump ship
>any regulars still coming to drink here only ever order the burger or fries, none of the chef's cassoulet shite
>working particularly slow tuesday, supposed to work with the asshat chef
>get bottle of cold medicine before work
>drain it on the walk over
>high as fuck all shift, chef is "in his office" all night.
>blasting funk and motown
>seeing colors that don't exist
>get maybe five orders of fries
>make food for all the bartenders
>get free beers from bartenders
>asshat chef comes back into kitchen
>tells me to close early
definitely the only good night of the new regime.

>> No.14102802

>new chef is hired
>he thinks he's hot shit
>tries to rearrange kitchen an hour before dinner service
>has to put kitchen back to normal halfway through service because it was better before and he ruined everyones flow
>brings his parents to the restaurant to show off how he's made it big and is now a head chef
>does a terrible job
>is fired the next day

i don't know why but like once a week i think about this guy and feel bad for him

>> No.14102814

>>14101689
fucking based manager, i would have done the same

>> No.14102834

>>14101689
immigrants don't take no shit from subordinates it's great

>> No.14102949

>>14101752
you should've called the cops and accused the chef of battery

>> No.14103308

>Be me at Chinese restaurant
>Work is miserable
>Manager is a cunt
>I wanna quit so bad.jpg
>Eat a weed brownie at 2am one night and went straight to bed after a terrible 14 hour shift
>Wake up high as fuck
>Ah shit.gif
>Get to work 10 mins late
>Manager asks if I'm ok
>Notices I'm a bit off
>Clearly high as fuck
>Starts asking me a bunch of questions and micromanaging
>Just ignore him
>Eventually leaves me alone
>Prep for like 6 hours before it wore off and I had to cook in the second half of my shift(12 hr shift)
One of the most decent times there. Quit a week later tho

>> No.14104268

>>14103308
Chinese places always seem to have atrocious people managing them. Glad you got out

>> No.14104802

>>14101306
based

>> No.14104815

what are some good things to say in an interview to get hired at a restaurant?
I used to work at a place like 3 years ago but I don't remember what the interview was like other than the guy telling me he wanted people who really wanted to work there and I just said that yea, I really wanted to work there.

>> No.14104857

>>14104815
"I'm reliable, I got a thick skin, I'm experienced, I'm happy doing any job in the kitchen. Here's some recommendations from my previous job"
Maybe throw in a joke or some bants if the situation seems appropriate.

>> No.14104859

>>14104857
thanks anon

>> No.14104867

>>14104859
Np senpai. Additionally, a lot of people are keen to showcase their ideas, like firing off a bunch of fancy recipes and suggestions. Don't do that, you'll come across as a pain in the ass. They want someone who'll reliably do their job without making a fuss. Do 6 months on the line, then we can talk about fancy shmancy stuff.

>> No.14104880

>>14104815
Be you. You will never be more You than when you're in the weeds in a loud, cramped kitchen, unless you manage to find yourself in a combat situation.

If you don't handle stress well, you probably don't want the job. Maybe see if you can work a shift, to see if you actually like the job and the chef actually likes you.

>> No.14104916

>>14104867
>They want someone who'll reliably do their job without making a fuss. Do 6 months on the line, then we can talk about fancy shmancy stuff.
I definitely won't do that. It also seems pretentious as fuck to do that anyway?
I've just been through a lot of interviews lately and I feel like I need help on what to say cause I'm not getting hired anywhere. The job market sucks ass where I live right now cause this town basically thrived on sit down restaurants and then quarantine killed that shit dead.
So now places are hiring and shit's opening back up and I'm competing with the entire fucking city for a job apparently.

>>14104880
>If you don't handle stress well, you probably don't want the job.
I actually worked for that previous restaurant for a year and I don't handle stress well but eventually I get used to be stressed if that makes sense. I have severe anxiety and PTSD but I just have to live with being miserable because I need a job to pay rent and not be homeless.

>> No.14104936

>>14104916
I got lapped by my roommates in fast food before I joined the evil empire and started running a starbucks for slightly less money than the chefs I was working for... so basically, if it's a good restaurant, go for it! Kill it dead! If it sucks, you can do better by flipping lattes or pouring burgers. If you show the slightest hint of competence, you'll be telling people how to do their job and counting money for $2-3 more per hour than them within 3-6 months.

>> No.14104947

>>14104936
>I got lapped by my roommates in fast food
>lapped
What do you mean by this?
And yea, I used to make really good money in tips.

>> No.14104949

>>14101235
The other day:

>Pizzeria switches to contact-free patio pickup only
>Some guy just starts walking in demanding a slice of pizza
>Servers are yelling at him to stop, explaining that we can't have people inside, threaten to call the police
>Guy doesn't give a shit, wants pizza that bad and keeps trying to shove his way in
>Our chef drops what's doing, grabs a pizza peel and threatens to cave the guy's skull in
>He finally leaves

>> No.14104980

>>14104947
I never got tips in the kitchen. I made minimum wage or just above, killing myself in what must have been the bottom of the pile as far as clean, profitable, professional kitchens go. They were flipping burgers and making coffee, and getting raises, promotions, reasonable hours... One gave me an earful one drunken night, and I applied to be his boss at Starbucks (he was a supervisor, and I pulled the assistant manager rug from under him). In 4 months, I was managing a bux, and making maybe 2k less per year than the last chef I worked for.

I've moved on, but I do catering from time to time. A few of the bigger companies in my area of the world have me on their shortlist for menus and execution... Right up until the world ended, I was solidly freelance.

>> No.14105014

>>14104980
>I never got tips in the kitchen.
I don't know where you live but most food service places here allow tips for everyone. They mention it in job listings. Like I said, this place thrived off dine in places.
The kitchen I used to work in got hella tips.

Also, I'm just looking to get by.. not take the rug out from under someone.

>> No.14106561

>>14104980
My experience is that family-owned places are where you'll get tips as a chef. All the big chain places I worked at, the tips went to wait staff exclusively.

>> No.14106640
File: 30 KB, 300x311, yakov-smirnoff.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14104815

"I Like Meth alot, I have some ink but I want a lot more, I flunked 9th grade Algebra 3 times, and my sister is a slut who needs a job, too."

job done is job one

>> No.14106714

A lot of these stories seem to have one thing in common. What are the odds if I'm out at a restaurant that the guy cooking my food is high as a kite?

>> No.14106725

>>14106714
Decent

>> No.14106728

>>14106714
Like 60% maybe. Although "high as a kite" is a subjective term. Just eat the food brah, if it's good it's good.

>> No.14106730

>>14106714
Only because that's what made their night interesting. Every other night would just be "I did my shift and it was tiring/I did my shift and it was a relaxed night." I don't think it's likely that you'll be often served by people who are high or drunk while in a kitchen, even though the stress of working in one can lead to things like that.

>> No.14106737

>>14101253
Kek

>> No.14106783

>>14101253
This. Worked in kitchens ten years and kitchen stories are always cringe as fuck.

>> No.14106787

As with every customer service job I've ever had... mmmm booze.

>> No.14106830
File: 21 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>work in deli
>work with mtf tranny
>they're built like a fucking linebacker, but I digress
>i'm doing prep work
>see them go into the cooler to get a new roast beef round
>they go to the sink to unwrap it as per usual
>hear a THUNK and turn to see them picking the beef up out of the dirty sink
>they walk over to the slicer and drop the now soiled round on it and start slicing
>customer luckily not paying attention
>shit bricks and tell them to throw the beef away and clean the slicer before someone sees them do that shit
working in a kitchen always makes me terrified of eating out

>> No.14106838

>>14101689
You think they're gonna get L&I guys?

>> No.14106853

>>14102715
You're such a nice co worker, enabling his drug habit. Good for you.

>> No.14106977

>>14106830
How did including it being a tranny change anything? You sound obsessed my man

>> No.14107005

>>14106977
As a third party it helps explain how someone could do something that unhinged. Otherwise it’d sound fake because honestly without a major mental illness how would that course of action made sense?

>> No.14107019

>>14101752
>salute
I’d be kind of embarrassed to share this with anyone, anon.

>> No.14107027

>>14107005
based

>> No.14107050

>>14106830
This is why you don't hire people who are visibly mentally ill

>> No.14107257

>>14101689
>throws soccer ball he had in his trunk into the deep fryer
but whyyyyyy

>> No.14107566

>>14107257