[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 140 KB, 379x440, 1501617840915.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13731395 No.13731395 [Reply] [Original]

Redpill me on Culinary School. Is it a meme? Would it even be worth the time? Anyone that has been through or is currently going through culinary school that can shed some light on the subject?

>> No.13731419

>>13731395
What are your goals? Jetset international, learn from the best, work your way up to owning your own restaurant?

Then yes, a proper culinary school is fine, as long as you can afford it. Don't take out loans for that shit, though.

If all you want to do is learn how to cook better, maybe open a lowkey place in your shitty flyover hometown, you don't need to go anywhere fancy. Hit up your community college culinary program, or just work your way up through other restaurants until you can land gigs at increasingly better places.

>> No.13731592

>>13731395
Most of what they teach in dedicated culinary schools is plating and serving. You're much better off going to a community college. You'll learn culinary techniques from people who are actually passionate about food, not just how to serve rich scumbags.

>> No.13731605

Valuable if you plant to be a TV presenter or a youtube personality.
Worthless in a commercial kitchen. They prefer to teach you from the ground up and often find culinary grads to be inflexible or stubborn.

>> No.13731609

>>13731395
Find a school you like. Try to find how their curriculum is structured and what you’d be learning. Learn these things by watching youtube videos and reading some French cooking books. Forget about the school forever and work your way up from there.

>> No.13731621

>>13731395
It always cracks me up when some doofus who just graduated from CIA with $75k in debt starts their first shift as my pantry bitch for a sawbuck an hour. They always set out their knives, check all of their utensils, and try to be artsy. This lasts no more than two shifts. After slinging their 500th shitty Cobb salad, you can see the idealism leave their eyes. Alcoholism follows.

Don't do it.

>> No.13731668

So why not just get a job in a kitchen then go to culinary school also lol EZ

>> No.13733260

>>13731395
shit hours and its hard as fuck if we are talking about the same thing

werent worth it for me personally but you know

>> No.13734120 [DELETED] 

>>13731395
okay so we all can love some actual fancy food every once in a while right like a CRISPY risotto or a TASTY scallop meal but are these types of fancy meals actually good in my opinion I would rather eat some tasty fish bread with some newly MICROWAVED egg and ranch with some FRESH ramen broth than some crispy risotto with a nasty liquid smoke basically I'm saying if your gonna have people over, there is no point in making anything fancy, just give them something simple yet delicious

>> No.13735111

Higher education is kind of a scam op, but I had friends that went to culinary school and they’re all doing pretty well for themselves, if anything its a good stepping stone for getting your foot in the door at a good restaurant where you can really start to learn