[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 35 KB, 503x251, roscoes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13673716 No.13673716 [Reply] [Original]

So, if you live in Southern California, you've almost certainly heard of this place (pic related), and I had for many years before finally actually going to one.

The first thing I noticed is that there was no "Chicken and Waffles" special that I could try, and even though they had various specials, I had to actually read the whole menu before figuring out how to order chicken and waffles at the same time, which considering that the combination is in their fucking name, baffled me in terms of marketing.

But honestly, eating chicken and waffles at the same time is about as exciting as you'd imagine it to be. Of course it's tasty, but there are so many other things on the menu that I was forced to consider because there isn't some simple combo I could order before checking off the "ate chicken and waffles at Roscoe's" box on my bucket list that I actually appreciated it.

What other chain restaurants have managed to avoid making "that one thing that once you've eaten you don't have to go there anymore because it was the only reason you went in the first place because it's famous, and now that you've tried it you can post it on social media and move on with your life because you have no fucking idea if it was actually good or not, but you tried it, so you can tell people about it and either recommend it or not"?

>> No.13673752
File: 401 KB, 459x336, pinks.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13673716

Like, are there good hot dogs at Pink's? Sure.

But would it be worth traveling a great distance in order to enjoy them?

Unless you really like standing in long lines... no.

You cook a fucking hot dog and heat the bun and add whatever ingredients you read from the menu (which is available online), you can bet that it will probably be about as satisfying as what you'd be served at Pink's.

The way they named them after famous actors and various celebrities is sort of the only gimmick they have, because they're located in Hollywood (barely).

Again, it's not like they're bad. They're delicious, for heaven's sake - how bad of a fucking cook would you have to be make a hot dog taste bad?!

The point is that they invented the "Destination hot-dog" by recognizing the value that their location had in terms of a burgeoning industry (film, to be exact, which has about as much to do with hot dogs as cooking has to do with movie theaters).

What other establishments are like this?

>> No.13673782

Cafe du Monde in New Orleans sounds just like this. Instead of a (fucking) chicken and waffle or (fucking) hot dog, it's a (fucking) beignet with coffee. It's not really an exceptional beignet, or exceptional coffee- they're both good, but you can tell that they make thousands daily, you know?
But, for all that, it's enough of a "thing" that tourists feel is integral to the "new orleans experience" to make it the icon of new orleans food that it is. A destination foodstuff, if i get what you're talking about. Lines to match, just like Pink's.

I feel like Rubio's used to be that way in San Diego, before they expanded a ton. Fish tacos and all, but a very deep menu behind that flagship product. Kind of like what you're saying with all the combos at the chicken and waffle place.

>> No.13673863

>>13673782
>Cafe du Monde in New Orleans sounds just like this.

Funny enough, I've actually been to the Cafe du Monde, and it struck me as the exact opposite.

It was like a fried piece of heaven, and the powdered sugar looked like it would be too much, but just kept collapsing into an infinite regress of deliciousness as the fats dissolved in my mouth and I finished it off with a sip of their signature chicory coffee.

I don't actually remember how much it cost.

This was a very different experience than eating a hot dog at Pink's.

I was surprised by how much it lived up to the hype.

>what you're saying with all the combos at the chicken and waffle place

I mean, I'm saying that they could probably offer some basic chicken and waffle combo on their menu to appease those who are only eating there because they want to post their meal on social media, but they don't, and you actually have to read what's included on the menu, and that's both annoying and endearing.

The Cafe du Monde has like two things on their menu. Beignets and (chicory) coffee.

I'm pretty sure that if they weren't good at making those two things, they'd probably have gone out of business.

It's not like I wasn't skeptical when I ordered them - it was objectively delicious, even though part of me didn't want it to be.

The beignets were too sweet, and the coffee was too bitter - but when you mixed them, it was basically perfect.

All I could do was admit that they did a fantastic job and move on.

But I'm pretty sure I have had better hot dogs than I ate when I ordered from Pink's.

And that's the difference.

I've seldom been disappointed by Rubio's, though. They seem to make a pretty consistently tasty fish taco, from my experience.

Did they start in San Diego? I didn't know that. McDonald's started in San Bernardino, and that town is bankrupt as fuck, lol....

>> No.13674037

>>13673863
Mcdonalds started in SB
And today the original Mcdonalds museum almost burned down, a building right across the street had a mysterious fire.