[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 230 KB, 1200x800, 1578709252568.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13492444 No.13492444 [Reply] [Original]

What is your honest opinion about Indian cuisine?

>> No.13492478

>>13492444
>opinion about
Fuck off rashmajanadan, aren’t you supposed to be landing on the moon this year?

>> No.13492489

Most of it is pretty good.

>> No.13492739

>>13492444
pajeet here. There isn't an Indian cuisine, it's extremely heterogenous. The differences between regions are as marked as between Italy, Sweden, Japan and Nigeria. I will say, most of what I eat on a daily basis is completely divorced from what is stereotypically considered Indian food, though this is true of most, if not all cuisines. It isn't spicy, varied or colourful. At least not most of the time.

>> No.13492742

>>13492444
pajeet here. There isn't an Indian cuisine, it's extremely heterogenous. The differences between regions are as marked as between Italy, Sweden, Japan and Nigeria. I will say, most of what I eat on a daily basis is completely divorced from what is stereotypically considered Indian food, though this is true of most, if not all cuisines. It isn't spicy, varied or colourful. At least not most of the time.

>> No.13492755

>>13492444
at least post an actual picture of indian food

>> No.13493228

The stuff that's been brought over to the West is really good; I haven't tried anything that I would rate as "okay" or worse. People always complain about its appearance but it doesn't bother me at all.

>> No.13493252

>>13493228
Best meal I ever had was in the Hotel Ashoka in Delhi. Bittergourd curry, pumpkin curry, rasmalai, two homies jammin it out on the stage, based AF, so I never got where people got the whole 'not that great' thing from. A new restaurant opened up in my town though that was so Westernized that is was really like 'that's ok, bruh', nothing more. Bottom line is if it's not jacked as fuck, go to a new place and get based, somewhere where the whole extended family is in the kitchen.

>> No.13493270

>>13493252
My local Indian joint has old grandmas in the kitchen which is probably why it's so good.

>> No.13493531
File: 764 KB, 2700x1793, Bos_taurus_indicus_zebu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13492444
Mostly shit.

Lentils are a disaster because they ferment in the intestines, overproducing bacteria.

This is the reason (as well as Asafoetida) that lots of Indians stink so much. I've even tried it myself, I always smell like absolute shit after eating large amounts of lentils or beans. If you have to eat them, sprout them so they don't feed all that bacteria in your gut. inb4 a soyface says "b-but more bacteria is good", no it's not, low amounts of bacteria and high diversity is good, so that they keep each other in check. Beans are actually worse than lentils but both are bad.

Indians seem to love Polyunsaturated cancer oils, even though they're the worst affected by them genetically. Coconut oil and ghee are based.

As for flavors, some spices are good, some are bad. I've noticed that many spices from India are particularly harsh and strong.

For example, I have cumin from Turkey and India. The Turkish one is fragrant and floral, the Indian one is bitter and nasty.
Korean chillis have a mild burn and a fruity taste. Thai chillis are hot and fruity. Indian chillis just have dull intense burn, with no pleasant taste whatsoever.
Asafoetida is trash, Silphium was the far better Maghrebi version but is unfortunately extinct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida#History_in_the_West

So yeah it seems like India in general produces bad spices.

Turmeric is pretty good though, Gulab extract is good, Elaichi is good, and Saffron (more Iranian than Indian) is great.
Soan papdi is a god-tier dessert. Indian desserts in general are very fragrant and artful.
Basmati rice is also the most fragrant rice I know of, and it's almost dessert-like.

Indian milk is also great (though they probably drink the shitty western kind now). It lacks the inflammatory A1 protein, and you feel light and energetic after drinking it. I can almost understand why they worship cows.

>> No.13493534

>>13493531
All in all, Indians are or were pretty good on the lighter foods (milk, desserts, fragrances/spices)

They're terrible on the caloric foods (lentils, cancer vegetable oils, overspiced everything)

>> No.13493538

>>13492444
It's samey

>> No.13493554

Also, your daily reminder that it's the year 2020 and India has become the premier superpower of planet earth.

Jai ho, open up those bobs

>> No.13493592

It's good. I wish there were more places to get it in the US.

>> No.13493605

>>13493531
There is a lot of generalization here I reckon, south, and north east have vastly different cooking methods to the hindi belt in the north which seems to be your primary examples in the comment.

>> No.13493641

>>13493592
you can, infact you might know him

>> No.13493642

>>13492444
It's alright. Nothing special, not the worst. I prefer Thai food to Indian.

>> No.13493922

best vegetarian food i can think of, would love to learn spices and shit from a real good indian cook, love me some 'a that shit